Game next Saturday - Transport from Bi’ham to Northampton?

Forum to enable fans to provide help and tips on travel arrangements to away matches, as well as for opposition fans travelling to the Irish capital for matches.

Moderator: moderators

Lizzy

Game next Saturday - Transport from Bi’ham to Northampton?

Post by Lizzy »

Hi
I am new to this site. I am a Leinster fan living in Birmingham. I have got tickets for the game at Northampton Saints next Saturday. There is a problem with trains running to Northampton next Saturday due to a strike. I was wondering if any other Leinster fans were travelling up by car from Birmingham and would consider giving myself and my son a lift. We would be more than willing to contribute to travel costs, and parking .
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks very much
Liz
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Re: Game next Saturday - Transport from Bi’ham to Northampto

Post by FLIP »

Lizzy wrote:Hi
I am new to this site. I am a Leinster fan living in Birmingham. I have got tickets for the game at Northampton Saints next Saturday. There is a problem with trains running to Northampton next Saturday due to a strike. I was wondering if any other Leinster fans were travelling up by car from Birmingham and would consider giving myself and my son a lift. We would be more than willing to contribute to travel costs, and parking .
Thanks very much
Liz
Hi Liz,

I live in Northampton so can't help you out with a lift. I would suggest the following options if you can't think of any others.

1) National Express coach from Birmingham to Northampton. I've looked and while there is nothing direct some are around 3 hours.
2) Virgin Trains to Milton Keynes Central, then get the X6 Stagecoach bus back up to Northampton. This would be 50 minutes to MK, then buses (every 30 mins) take an hour to central Northampton.

For others from Birmingham Airport:

I would suggest the following options if you can't think of any others.

1) National Express coach from Birmingham Airport to Northampton. I've looked and while there is nothing direct some are around 2.5 hours.
2) Virgin Trains to Milton Keynes Central, then get the X6 Stagecoach bus back up to Northampton. This would be 38 minutes to MK, then buses (every 30 mins) take an hour to central Northampton.
Last edited by FLIP on December 1st, 2019, 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anyone But New Zealand
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

FLIP wrote:
Lizzy wrote:Hi
Thanks very much
Liz
Hi Liz,

I live in Northampton so can't help you out with a lift. I would suggest the following options if you can't think of any others.

1) National Express coach from Birmingham to Northampton. I've looked and while there is nothing direct some are around 3 hours.
2) Virgin Trains to Milton Keynes Central, then get the X5 Stagecoach bus back up to Northampton. This would be 50 minutes to MK, then buses (every 30 mins) take an hour to central Northampton.

For others from Birmingham Airport:

I would suggest the following options if you can't think of any others.

1) National Express coach from Birmingham Airport to Northampton. I've looked and while there is nothing direct some are around 2.5 hours.
2) Virgin Trains to Milton Keynes Central, then get the X5 Stagecoach bus back up to Northampton. This would be 38 minutes to MK, then buses (every 30 mins) take an hour to central Northampton.
X6 not the X5 from/to MK. Link to T/T below.

https://tiscon-maps-stagecoachbus.s3.am ... %20web.pdf

Am coming up from the Heathrow Area on Saturday morning. Might either go Virgin Trains from Watford Junction to MK then Bus, or Bedpan line and Bus from Bedford to Northampton. I've also a SWT strike to negotiate on Thursday and Monday to get me back from/to Gatport Airwick. Time to modify the Travel spreadsheet. Thankfully i'm an old hand at getting my way around Tranxport inconveniences! Reminds me of last time I travelled for a Northampton v Leinster game, when Trains were suspended at Euston for some considerable time due to a trespass incident. Managed to get to Franklin Gardens just seconds before K.O.
Last edited by Hornet on December 1st, 2019, 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Hornet wrote:
X6 not the X5 from/to MK. Link to T/T below.

https://tiscon-maps-stagecoachbus.s3.am ... %20web.pdf
Original post updated
Last edited by FLIP on December 1st, 2019, 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anyone But New Zealand
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

There is an option from Birmingham (New Street, International) and Coventry to Rugby by Virgin Trains, then Stagecoach Service 96 from Rugby Church Street/Clifton Road to Northampton. This involves a 5 minute walk from the Station to Church Street/Clifton Road. Timetable link below.

https://tiscon-maps-stagecoachbus.s3.am ... %20WEB.pdf

For Saturday am arrival at Luton Airport there are the National Express Services 230 and 707 direct to Northampton. Also Bus to Luton Airport Parkway Station, then Train (Regular Services) to Bedford, then Stagecoach East service 41 from Midland Road, (Close to Station) to Northampton. Also there is a Z & S Transport Service 33/33A from MK to Northampton. Links to all Bus T/T's Below:-

National Express 230.
https://timetables.nationalexpress.com/ ... erby/I/pdf

National Express 707.
https://timetables.nationalexpress.com/ ... pton/I/pdf

Stagecoach East 41.
file:///C:/Users/User/Downloads/Route%2041%202019_06_24.pdf

Z & S Transport 33/33A.
file:///C:/Users/User/Downloads/Route%2033_33A%202019_07_21.pdf

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Hornet on December 1st, 2019, 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Hornet wrote:There is an option from Birmingham (New Street, International) and Coventry to Rugby by Virgin Trains, then Stagecoach Service 96 from Rugby Church Street/Clifton Road to Northampton. This involves a 5 minute walk from the Station to Church Street/Clifton Road. Timetable link below.

Further to the above, you don't have to go all the way into the town on that bus. The Harlestone Rd (adj Vicarage Road) stop is very near to Franklins Gardens. See below.

Anyone But New Zealand
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

FLIP wrote:
Hornet wrote:There is an option from Birmingham (New Street, International) and Coventry to Rugby by Virgin Trains, then Stagecoach Service 96 from Rugby Church Street/Clifton Road to Northampton. This involves a 5 minute walk from the Station to Church Street/Clifton Road. Timetable link below.

Further to the above, you don't have to go all the way into the town on that bus. The Harlestone Rd (adj Vicarage Road) stop is very near to Franklins Gardens. See below.

Thumbs up emoji!

Found this link on the BBC Website:-

file:///C:/Users/User/Downloads/WM1910_NMP-BHM%20Strike%20Timetable%20(Saturday%2023rd%20Nov)%20V1.pdf
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

Flight arrives in to Birmingham Intl at 07.35 going to chance 07.50 to Northampton change at Milton Keynes into Northampton for 11 hopefully ?.
Flying wedge
R-Dog
Graduate

Post by R-Dog »

Flying in Saturday morning to Birmingham 7.35 arrival aprox.

Any idea what is the story with the trains is it no service or limited service?

The above option Virgin Train to MK then Bus I'm guessing is not effected as different company?

Any idea on a taxi cost ? might be doable if a few in the same situation.

Also;

Returning same route Sunday

Any advice?
R-Dog
Graduate

Post by R-Dog »

R-Dog wrote:Flying in Saturday morning to Birmingham 7.35 arrival aprox.

The above option Virgin Train to MK then Bus I'm guessing is not effected as different company?

Also;

Any advice?

Ok ignore most of the above seams like its a limited service on Sat

Timetable here

https://www.westmidlandsrailway.co.uk/industrialaction
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Also;

Any advice?
On Saturday there will be a conductors strike on London Northwestern/West Midlands Railways (same company). Virgin Trains will not be affected by the strike action. Some LM/WM trains may be running, depending on if drivers will cross a conductors picket line, see this link: https://www.londonnorthwesternrailway.c ... rialaction

Taxi costs from Northampton-BIA are anything from £55-80 if prebooked. So I imagine hundreds if not.

Sunday trains should be generally unaffected but will suffer some delays due to rolling stock being out of place.

My advice for Saturday is to avoid LM/WM trains due to the likelihood that drivers will choose not to cross a picket line.
Anyone But New Zealand
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Also;

Any advice?
I have used these guys before for a few games, they let me down on one of the legs but they emailed me the day before so I could still make alternative arrangements. So 7 out of 8 trips were smooth.

https://www.airporttaxis-uk.co.uk/

We went with the train this time Fri-Sun but when I checked at the time a couple of months ago it was going to be around 30 euro a head (return included) for the taxi/hackney (4 people travelling). It can get more expensive nearer the time though. You could get a quote anyway.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English