A whiff of Cordite

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by hugonaut »

suisse wrote: December 7th, 2023, 12:52 pm I consider the Guardian's football coverage to be the best out there. I'm not even that big of a football fan but Wilson, Liew, Ronay, Nick Ames etc are worth reading.

Their rugby coverage is remarkably sleepy. Another Robert Kitson preview and I've scrolled through after 2 paragraphs. His writing is uninteresting and he has no great insights.

He made a list of 5 players to watch in the European Cup.
Finn Russell
Harry Arundell
Owen Farrell
Handre Pollard
Blair Kinghorn

Riveting
I think 'remarkably sleepy' is kind. I find it second rate [maybe third rate], obvious, un-curious, bland, lazy. I read the Guardian. About half the time it irritates me, but some of their coverage of other sports is good and even excellent. As you say, their football writers are well worth reading. Donald McRae is a brilliant interviewer and incredibly productive. Cricket writing is excellent, if neurotic. There's good cycling coverage, and their NFL summaries are pithy.

Then you have Robert Kitson, who reads like he strolled in from the Telegraph thirty years ago. I have never read an opinion I didn't expect to read from him. I've never read anything that gave me insight into the game. He shilled to a fairly ridiculous degree for the Premiership when they took over European competition, and has been consistently blind-sided by every event in the only league he covers. Oh, Saracens have been cheating for three years! Professional clubs are going bankrupt and falling like dominos. Eddie Jones is sacking assistant coaches every couple of months. There's no shortage of rugby stories to cover, but he doesn't actually seem to f*cking speak to anybody.

The odd thing is that he doesn't seem like a bad guy. Stephen Jones is an obvious and total c*nt; I'd say I stopped reading his articles fourteen or fifteen years ago. They were easy to give up and I've missed nothing. But Kitson isn't like that ... he's just a bland, pass-mark-in-every-exam space filler. His writing is comfortably bland, his conclusions are expected, his insight is non-existent, his information is always after the event. If they were relying on him to sell papers, they'd go out of business. The articles are so unmemorable as to be pointless.

And it's an amazing job! You get paid to go to games – any game you want – and give your opinions on rugby. And that's your actual job.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

hugonaut wrote: December 8th, 2023, 6:03 am
suisse wrote: December 7th, 2023, 12:52 pm I consider the Guardian's football coverage to be the best out there. I'm not even that big of a football fan but Wilson, Liew, Ronay, Nick Ames etc are worth reading.

Their rugby coverage is remarkably sleepy. Another Robert Kitson preview and I've scrolled through after 2 paragraphs. His writing is uninteresting and he has no great insights.

Finn Russell
Harry Arundell
Owen Farrell
Handre Pollard
Blair Kinghorn

Riveting
I think 'remarkably sleepy' is kind. I find it second rate [maybe third rate], obvious, un-curious, bland, lazy. I read the Guardian. About half the time it irritates me, but some of their coverage of other sports is good and even excellent. As you say, their football writers are well worth reading. Donald McRae is a brilliant interviewer and incredibly productive. Cricket writing is excellent, if neurotic. There's good cycling coverage, and their NFL summaries are pithy.

Then you have Robert Kitson, who reads like he strolled in from the Telegraph thirty years ago. I have never read an opinion I didn't expect to read from him. I've never read anything that gave me insight into the game. He shilled to a fairly ridiculous degree for the Premiership when they took over European competition, and has been consistently blind-sided by every event in the only league he covers. Oh, Saracens have been cheating for three years! Professional clubs are going bankrupt and falling like dominos. Eddie Jones is sacking assistant coaches every couple of months. There's no shortage of rugby stories to cover, but he doesn't actually seem to f*cking speak to anybody.

The odd thing is that he doesn't seem like a bad guy. Stephen Jones is an obvious and total c*nt; I'd say I stopped reading his articles fourteen or fifteen years ago. They were easy to give up and I've missed nothing. But Kitson isn't like that ... he's just a bland, pass-mark-in-every-exam space filler. His writing is comfortably bland, his conclusions are expected, his insight is non-existent, his information is always after the event. If they were relying on him to sell papers, they'd go out of business. The articles are so unmemorable as to be pointless.

And it's an amazing job! You get paid to go to games – any game you want – and give your opinions on rugby. And that's your actual job.
Almost nothing more infuriating than a lazy or uninformed sports journalist (or TV pundit). It is the dream job for so many people - and we all know people who would excel at it. To have a job like that and either not be arsed or be allowed by your editor to churn out drivel is almost always down to clientilism or nepotism. It's one of those indignities of our system(s) that really gets under people's skin.
Observingprop123
Enlightened

Post by Observingprop123 »

curates_egg wrote: December 8th, 2023, 9:19 am

Finn Russell
Harry Arundell
Owen Farrell
Handre Pollard
Blair Kinghorn

Riveting

Almost nothing more infuriating than a lazy or uninformed sports journalist (or TV pundit). It is the dream job for so many people - and we all know people who would excel at it. To have a job like that and either not be arsed or be allowed by your editor to churn out drivel is almost always down to clientilism or nepotism. It's one of those indignities of our system(s) that really gets under people's skin.
The amount of current UK journalists that have famous parents kind of shows that at the moment it's currently a who you know, not what you know job.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

The Guardian's rugby coverage has been a bit odd for a long time now. It's a sport they seem to not care all that much about, and it contrasts starkly with the coverage of football (the best out there imo) or F1. Kitson is basically their coverage. He's a decent writer, but very, very anglocentric - not entirely surprising considering he writes for the English edition of an English newspaper, but it is surprising in that the Guardian would tend to be outward looking in other areas with, for example, excellent coverage of La Liga, the Bundesliga and Serie A (though their coverage of football north of the wall isn't great)
I have Bumbleflex
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

It's not surprising that the Manchester Guardian would have strong soccer roots.

I think they did more rugby a long time ago, it's just faded back and has lost its mindshare. At least its not Jones though.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

An old favorite Kitson article of mine!.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/ ... al-leagues

Think he wrote the contra piece a year later.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Finn Russell
Harry Arundell
Owen Farrell
Handre Pollard
Blair Kinghorn

Riveting

Yeah well good job it's not the Molecast doing the coverage cause we would be sitting here all week waiting for the pre Champions Cup pod to hit and what do we get? Npthing, that's what we get. Slackers is what they are
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

the spoofer wrote: December 8th, 2023, 2:43 pm

Finn Russell
Harry Arundell
Owen Farrell
Handre Pollard
Blair Kinghorn

Riveting

Yeah well good job it's not the Molecast doing the coverage cause we would be sitting here all week waiting for the pre Champions Cup pod to hit and what do we get? Npthing, that's what we get. Slackers is what they are
:clap:
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

mildlyinterested wrote: December 8th, 2023, 2:44 pm

They ran out to get a bag of cans and some crisps.

Not Taytos mind, something posh like Kettle Chips or Lentil Curls…
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: December 8th, 2023, 3:04 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: December 8th, 2023, 2:44 pm

They ran out to get a bag of cans and some crisps.

Not Taytos mind, something posh like Kettle Chips or Lentil Curls…
And it wouldn't be the cheap cans out of Lidl or Aldi. It would be some micro brewery stuff that tastes like elephants piss.
artaneboy
Seán Cronin

Post by artaneboy »

curates_egg wrote:

Finn Russell
Harry Arundell
Owen Farrell
Handre Pollard
Blair Kinghorn

Riveting

All jobs are jobs when you come down to it. That’s why they pay you… The fact that it appears a “dream job” is neither here nor there to me. There are good journalists and poor journalists- and that’s totally be expected and even fine- sort of. There’s a Bell Curve on competence in all roles. Complaining about journalists technical ability or laziness doesn’t interest me… bores me reading the moaning here, to be honest.

What does matter is deliberate distortion or evident unbalanced partiality in coverage. That’s the difference with Jones. He’s in a class of his own in his pernicious influence and amplification of ‘certain positions’ through his elevated platform with The Times. One sin is one of omission; the other is one of commission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

artaneboy wrote: December 8th, 2023, 3:21 pm
curates_egg wrote:

Complaining about journalists technical ability or laziness doesn’t interest me… bores me reading the moaning here, to be honest.

If you really feel like that, which is totally reasonable, I would suggest not visiting this thread, as that’s pretty much the entire point :wink:
artaneboy
Seán Cronin

A whiff of Cordite

Post by artaneboy »

curates_egg wrote:
curates_egg wrote:
Complaining about journalists technical ability or laziness doesn’t interest me… bores me reading the moaning here, to be honest.

If you really feel like that, which is totally reasonable, I would suggest not visiting this thread, as that’s pretty much the entire point :wink:
No, it’s YOUR entire point. Some of us have other points.

RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

curates_egg wrote: December 8th, 2023, 6:53 pm
curates_egg wrote:

Pretty much. I think it's fair to say the fans on this site are kind of pedantic and we come here to kvetch amongst peers. It's not being hyperbolic to say a lot of journalists just give a cursory overview of rugby at best (Gervais) and a mind numbing ire inducing experience at worst(Jones). I get that they all can't be Emmet Byrne (medicines gain is sports journalist's loss) in order to appeal to the casual fan, but my kingdom for a Ned Van Esbeck or a McLaren to give us sad die hards something to salivate over rather than give out stink. Right back to my talkies and my cup of Bovril
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Glasgow got a bit of a paddling at home to Saints. COuld be a bad weekend for the URC teams.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
chrismcc
Bookworm

Post by chrismcc »

artaneboy wrote: December 8th, 2023, 7:33 pm
curates_egg wrote:

That's a bit unnecessary, his post was friendly and jestful
artaneboy
Seán Cronin

Post by artaneboy »

chrismcc wrote:
artaneboy wrote: December 8th, 2023, 7:33 pm
curates_egg wrote: If you really feel like that, which is totally reasonable, I would suggest not visiting this thread, as that’s pretty much the entire point :wink:

That's a bit unnecessary, his post was friendly and jestful
Was it really? Then I apologise.

riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

This week Leo Cullen and Jacques Nienaber gave their first joint press conference, since the latter joined the coaching staft. Anyone know where one can watch the video, as I can't find it on the Leinster Rugby home page, their FB page, on YouTube, Twitter or Instagram. Ditto yesterday's press conference, at which Leo announced the team to face La Rochelle.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

riocard911 wrote: December 9th, 2023, 10:49 am This week Leo Cullen and Jacques Nienaber gave their first joint press conference, since the latter joined the coaching staft. Anyone know where one can watch the video, as I can't find it on the Leinster Rugby home page, their FB page, on YouTube, Twitter or Instagram. Ditto yesterday's press conference, at which Leo announced the team to face La Rochelle.
Try this: https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/more/contact-us/
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

ronk wrote: December 9th, 2023, 10:57 am
riocard911 wrote: December 9th, 2023, 10:49 am This week Leo Cullen and Jacques Nienaber gave their first joint press conference, since the latter joined the coaching staft. Anyone know where one can watch the video, as I can't find it on the Leinster Rugby home page, their FB page, on YouTube, Twitter or Instagram. Ditto yesterday's press conference, at which Leo announced the team to face La Rochelle.
Try this: https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/more/contact-us/
Thanks, Ronk, but I already did that during the summer via an email, in which I told them I thought the Leinster press conferences were - in comparison with La Rochelle - stale and neither particularly informative or entertaining. I'm wondering now to meself, if that's the reason, that on the net there's numerous photos and quotes from this week's two press conferences to be found, but just no original footage for the hardcore fan to critically examine......