A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

FLIP
Seán Cronin

Re: Leinster v La Rochelle Saturday 13th April 2024 at 5.30pm RTE2

Post by FLIP »

artaneboy wrote: April 14th, 2024, 8:42 pm
Dave Cahill wrote:
dougie the flanker wrote: April 14th, 2024, 6:27 pm Do you think that ROGs antics and his standing with of Leinsters fans (and you would assume players) will hurt any future chances of being a future Irish coach?
Absolutely, who can forget Ireland's grand slam triumph of 2009, coached as they were by the much loved Declan Kidney.
Yes- that’s fair enough: sarcasm aside, of course. I will say Kidney was never anything as unpopular with Leinster fans as ROG. The dislike- don’t like using “hate”, is fairly visceral right now. But it may dissipate in time.

And don’t underestimate the role of sentiment- if there’s an alternative that is less controversial, even if less proven- or/ and successful.
I remember 2009.

I also remember 2010-2013.

Never again.
Anyone But New Zealand
dougie the flanker
Bookworm

Post by dougie the flanker »

Dave Cahill wrote: April 14th, 2024, 9:11 pm
dougie the flanker wrote: April 14th, 2024, 8:47 pm
Yes- that’s fair enough: sarcasm aside, of course. I will say Kidney was never anything as unpopular with Leinster fans as ROG. The dislike- don’t like using “hate”, is fairly visceral right now. But it may dissipate in time.

And don’t underestimate the role of sentiment- if there’s an alternative that is less controversial, even if less proven- or/ and successful.
It's also a different dynamic. Kidney was the winning coach with the Irish team who contributed most of the internationals.
Kidney was the guy who walked out on Leinster to our then-biggest rivals the day of our biggest game of the season. He was despised by Leinster fans, players, and Leinster Rugby after that. He still got the Irish job and was, for a short time, successful with it
Yea but my point is that Leinsters influence on the national team was less. They had never won a Heineken Cup, they had maybe 4 or 5 starters.

Munster had probably 9-10 starters for Ireland working directly with Kidney.

Now we have ROG who is hated by the team with a dozen Ireland starters and he's out in France. For all the talk about Munster he's got no connection to most of the international players there - never coached or played with them. A lot bigger issue than Deccie.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

dougie the flanker wrote: April 14th, 2024, 9:15 pm
Kidney was the guy who walked out on Leinster to our then-biggest rivals the day of our biggest game of the season. He was despised by Leinster fans, players, and Leinster Rugby after that. He still got the Irish job and was, for a short time, successful with it
Yea but my point is that Leinsters influence on the national team was less. They had never won a Heineken Cup, they had maybe 4 or 5 starters.

Munster had probably 9-10 starters for Ireland.

Now we have ROG who is hated by the team with a dozen Ireland starters. A lot bigger issue than Deccie.
I get to a lot of 6n games over the years and Leinster fans don't have the same chip on the shoulder about who is in the Irish team that munster fans carry. Will never forget Cardiff 2019...in the Yard pub around the corner from the millenium, after we were hammered by Wales for a grand slam, on my way to the jax, tapping a guy in a red jersey on the shoulder and saying "congrats". He swung around to reveal he was wearing a munster jersey and "Only supports the munster players on the pitch". I was taken aback by the small mindedness. Fair enough, he is in the minority. Most munster fans I meet are sound but there's enough of them to create a bad atmosphere. like Bilbao, with the Zebo tee shirts or Marseille with the La Rogelle tops. It's not good craic. It's like english soccer style sledging.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

dougie the flanker wrote: April 14th, 2024, 8:08 pm
Dave Cahill wrote: April 14th, 2024, 8:04 pm
dougie the flanker wrote: April 14th, 2024, 7:59 pm I don't really buy this idea of ROG as a cheque book coach.

He joins La Rochelle ahead of the 2019-20 season with Jonno Gibes as his Director of Rugby. Then he becomes top dog for the 2021-22 season.

He certainly hasn't signed most of their best players. Botia and Atonio are over a decade at La Rochelle and will retire as one club men. Aldritt is 8 seasons at La Rochelle the same as Bourgarit and KerrBarlow. Skelton, Dulin, Danty were signed by the previous coach.

Most of their signings are not marquee in the same way that likes of Toulon of old would have done. They aren't big name internationals. The signings this season were Jack Nowell, Judicaël Cancoriet, Judicaël Cancoriet, Ihaia West.

The year before they had a big clear out with several Internationals all leaving (Victor Vito, Danny Priso, Julien Plisson, Ramiro Herrera, Arthur Retiere etc) and the big name signings were Ultan Dillane and UJ Seuteni.

I think you can accuse ROG of being a lot of things but a cheque book coach isn't one of them.

Leinster have signed Snyman and have made an offer for Tupou. ROG isn't signing anyone of that calibre.
Every supporter in France complains about every other club constantly, no one outside of LAR likes LAR, no one outside of Toulouse likes Toulouse, no one outside of Pau likes Pau etc etc. French clubs have huge budgets - Toulouse's budget this year is over €46 million

Top14 Budgets for this season

Toulouse €46.3 million
Stade Francais €45.3 million
RC Toulon €39.6 million
Lyon LOU €37.1 million
Stade Rochelais €34.9 million
ASM Clermont €34.1 million
Union Bordeaux-Bègles €32.9 million
Racing 92 €32.1 million
Montpellier HR €30.4 million
Paloise section €28.2 million
Rowing Bayonnais €27.3 million
Olympic Castres €24.7 million
USA Perpignan €21 million
Oyonnax €17 million
According to a few Welsh lads online Leinsters budget far exceeds this.
They're complete spoofers. Most of them are as thick as mince in the first place – the stuff that they come out with is misspelled gobbledegook for and by the continually unhappy. But even the more well-read spoofers are miles out on a limb pretending that they are ITK.

Some lad on Twitter in Wales who can't spell knows the details of every Leinster player's contract? You would have to be a moron to believe that.

The IRFU publishes a financial report [because it has to] but is opaque as it wants to be with regards to the split of moneys.

From IRFU Summary of accounts 2021/22: "Professional Game Costs fell from €68.1m to €60.5m year on year. In addition to tours, camps and matches, all player and coaching costs together with funding for the four Provincial teams are included here." [source: https://d19fc3vd0ojo3m.cloudfront.net/i ... ion_v3.pdf ] Elite Player Development is €14.1m plus a bit of change. So give or take €75m.

Another thing to consider is that if the funding to the provinces were really as wildly divergent as the various cranks across the provincial fanbases would make out, there would be significantly more noise about it either off or on the record from the likes of the Ulster/Munster/Connacht CEO.

Anybody with eyes or ears has seen that the IRFU is not immune to media pressure. The massive changes in approach to the finances of the women's game was a recent and significant example of that. The reality is that there is very strong similarity in the baseline of money distributed to the provinces through both PG and EPD funds, and the various CEOs and boards are all aware of that.

As Donal Lenihan wrote in his excellent article in the examiner in December 2023 "While the addition of two more central contracts to Leinster players has been used as a stick to beat the current financial model, a review of the system has been undertaken three times over the last eight years and in all cases the provinces have opted to retain the existing formula."

Mannix's article should be required reading for anybody involved in this discussion. Link is here [behind paywall]: https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rug ... 97367.html
dougie the flanker
Bookworm

Post by dougie the flanker »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote: April 14th, 2024, 9:20 pm

Now we have ROG who is hated by the team with a dozen Ireland starters. A lot bigger issue than Deccie.
I get to a lot of 6n games over the years and Leinster fans don't have the same chip on the shoulder about who is in the Irish team that munster fans carry. Will never forget Cardiff 2019...in the Yard pub around the corner from the millenium, after we were hammered by Wales for a grand slam, on my way to the jax, tapping a guy in a red jersey on the shoulder and saying "congrats". He swung around to reveal he was wearing a munster jersey and "Only supports the munster players on the pitch". I was taken aback by the small mindedness. Fair enough, he is in the minority. Most munster fans I meet are sound but there's enough of them to create a bad atmosphere. like Bilbao, with the Zebo tee shirts or Marseille with the La Rogelle tops. It's not good craic. It's like english soccer style sledging.
Ah look there's clowns in every fan base. I can also give the anecdotes of Leinster dopes and I've seen Munster dopes. Munster fans have been in second place for 15 years after a period of being on top. They have their own expectations and their own disappointments. The way some Munster fans might go on is different to Leinster fans but there's idiots galore on both sides.

I think the past 12 months has brought out a really nasty streak in the Munster vs Leinster rivalry for a perfect storm of about 10 different factors.

1) Leinster going 2 seasons without a trophy
2) Munster winning a trophy and beating Leinster in the process
3) This not resulting in the amount of international call ups Munster fans hoped
4) This resulting in some players choosing to leave Munster / get capped elsewhere
5) Munster going from URC winners to losing much of that URC winning group and seeing performances and future prospects suffer
6) Snyman moving Munster to Leinster
7) This whole La Rochelle = ROG = Munster concept
8.) Peter O'Mahony captaincy
9) Peter O'Mahony contract
10) General arseholery by subsection of fans as is always the case

BTW none of the above being anyones "fault" or down to Nucifora hating Leinster/Munster or anything. Just a lot of bad winners and bad losers on both sides.

Its really not a part of the game I enjoy whether its Man Utd vs Liverpool or Munster vs Leinster or any other sporting rivalry.
Last edited by dougie the flanker on April 14th, 2024, 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

FLIP wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote: Absolutely, who can forget Ireland's grand slam triumph of 2009, coached as they were by the much loved Declan Kidney.

I remember 2009.

Never again.
Yeah- but neither you, I nor anyone on this forum will count, when the decision has to be made.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Dave Cahill wrote: April 14th, 2024, 8:04 pm
dougie the flanker wrote: April 14th, 2024, 7:59 pm I don't really buy this idea of ROG as a cheque book coach.

He joins La Rochelle ahead of the 2019-20 season with Jonno Gibes as his Director of Rugby. Then he becomes top dog for the 2021-22 season.

He certainly hasn't signed most of their best players. Botia and Atonio are over a decade at La Rochelle and will retire as one club men. Aldritt is 8 seasons at La Rochelle the same as Bourgarit and KerrBarlow. Skelton, Dulin, Danty were signed by the previous coach.

Most of their signings are not marquee in the same way that likes of Toulon of old would have done. They aren't big name internationals. The signings this season were Jack Nowell, Judicaël Cancoriet, Judicaël Cancoriet, Ihaia West.

The year before they had a big clear out with several Internationals all leaving (Victor Vito, Danny Priso, Julien Plisson, Ramiro Herrera, Arthur Retiere etc) and the big name signings were Ultan Dillane and UJ Seuteni.

I think you can accuse ROG of being a lot of things but a cheque book coach isn't one of them.

Leinster have signed Snyman and have made an offer for Tupou. ROG isn't signing anyone of that calibre.
Every supporter in France complains about every other club constantly, no one outside of LAR likes LAR, no one outside of Toulouse likes Toulouse, no one outside of Pau likes Pau etc etc. French clubs have huge budgets - Toulouse's budget this year is over €46 million

Toulouse €46.3 million
RC Toulon €39.6 million
Lyon LOU €37.1 million
Racing 92 €32.1 million
Oyonnax €17 million
They will also tell you that we only win because the refs are bent and the league is run for our benefit. Which is a point that contradicts the original that we big spenders. Like are spending our money on chancers who need refs to be in the hole for them. They’re FOS. Professionalism has been hard for the clubs beneath the national team in wales, a very different experience to the provinces.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

dougie the flanker wrote: April 14th, 2024, 9:39 pm
Ah look there's clowns in every fan base. I can also give the anecdotes of Leinster dopes and I've seen Munster dopes. Munster fans have been in second place for 15 years after a period of being on top. They have their own expectations and their own disappointments. The way some Munster fans might go on is different to Leinster fans but there's idiots galore on both sides.
you're overthinking it. truth is that I think the munster fan I met in Cardiff is not really a rugby fan. No rugby fan of any ilk would share his small mindedness. I include Leinster dopes with that.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

artaneboy wrote: April 14th, 2024, 9:39 pm
FLIP wrote:

I remember 2009.

Never again.
Yeah- but neither you, I nor anyone on this forum will count, when the decision has to be made.
Yes, but the people making the decision should remember history too.
Anyone But New Zealand
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

dougie the flanker wrote: April 14th, 2024, 9:39 pm
MylesNaGapoleen wrote: April 14th, 2024, 9:20 pm

I think the past 12 months has brought out a really nasty streak in the Munster vs Leinster rivalry for a perfect storm of about 10 different factors.

1) Leinster going 2 seasons without a trophy
2) Munster winning a trophy and beating Leinster in the process
3) This not resulting in the amount of international call ups Munster fans hoped
4) This resulting in some players choosing to leave Munster / get capped elsewhere
5) Munster going from URC winners to losing much of that URC winning group and seeing performances and future prospects suffer
6) Snyman moving Munster to Leinster
7) This whole La Rochelle = ROG = Munster concept
8.) Peter O'Mahony captaincy
9) Peter O'Mahony contract
10) General arseholery by subsection of fans as is always the case

BTW none of the above being anyones "fault" or down to Nucifora hating Leinster/Munster or anything. Just a lot of bad winners and bad losers on both sides.

Its really not a part of the game I enjoy whether its Man Utd vs Liverpool or Munster vs Leinster or any other sporting rivalry.
Yeah I think that your penultimate sentence probably sums a lot of it up DTF, bad winners and bad losers.

I met a few lads in red yesterday and they were grand, there for a day out and to enjoy a match, I met a few Rochelais ladies there yesterday and they were grand too, out to shout for their team and enjoy the occasion. It’s great that we follow a sport where the supporters can mix freely.

I’ve also met absolute bellends at different matches, lads that’d make you wonder why they bothered coming out at all. And I’d stress that they were not exclusively opposition fans. I gave up worrying about them a long time ago, but sometimes I feel there’s a cohort of people who make bitterness and hating the opposition their identity and ultimately if they want to be dicks that’s on them…
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote: April 14th, 2024, 6:45 pm
riocard911 wrote: April 14th, 2024, 6:31 pm This is good by Birch:

Bernard Jackman: Jacques Nienaber has unlocked true Blue warrior spirit
Ross Byrne embodies steely effort in statement victory

https://archive.ph/2024.04.14-055305/ht ... 25740.html

https://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ch ... 25740.html
thanks for sharing that and I agree...that's a good piece. I remember after Saracens in Newcastle and again in a quarter final, during covid, bulldozed us (with skelton), I thought we would never survive against the bish bash bosh types.

We should thank "le mouth enormé" for winding us up so much we have now found our Beast Mode as a team. Cheers RoG!
I was telling people last week that we were knocked out by a team with will Skelton in it for the last 5 seasons in a row.

Sarries in the final in 2019 and quarter in 2020. Then LaRochelle in the semi in 2021 and final in 2022 and 2023.

I decided to double check. Skelton was red carded in the last group game in 2020 and missed our qf in April 2020. (The one where their scrum destroyed us)
HumanEarthling
Beginner

Post by HumanEarthling »

Can we have two threads next time?

1. Leinster v Northampton - Rugby only.

No ROG, no Munster, no commentary on journalists or social media comments unless and only to the extent that they refer to tactics, selections etc.

2. Leinster v Northampton - Whatever.

ROG, Munster, commentary on journalists and social media comments etc.
Observingprop123
Mullet

Post by Observingprop123 »

HumanEarthling wrote: April 14th, 2024, 10:18 pm Can we have two threads next time?

1. Leinster v Northampton - Rugby only.

No ROG, no Munster, no commentary on journalists or social media comments unless and only to the extent that they refer to tactics, selections etc.

2. Leinster v Northampton - Whatever.

ROG, Munster, commentary on journalists and social media comments etc.
Yeah jaysus, at the end of the day we are through to the semis and they're watching it on TV. Not sure much else needs to be said.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

ronk wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote: April 14th, 2024, 11:01 am
To be fair on McRae his side of it is that O’Gara attacked his testicles in the previous two contacts they had in that game. He was defenceless at the time. I have seen myself O’Gara doing stuff like taking a detour on the way back to rejoin play to stamp on an injured player so his story may have some truth to it.
I hadn't heard that, I wasn't judging though. I know McRae dislikes his notoriety.

I was going more for the people celebrating violence, as long as it was against someone they had a dislike for.
McRae dislikes his notoriety? Id be interested to read more about that if you can point me toward any interviews
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Twist wrote: April 14th, 2024, 10:46 pm
ronk wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote: April 14th, 2024, 11:01 am
To be fair on McRae his side of it is that O’Gara attacked his testicles in the previous two contacts they had in that game. He was defenceless at the time. I have seen myself O’Gara doing stuff like taking a detour on the way back to rejoin play to stamp on an injured player so his story may have some truth to it.
I hadn't heard that, I wasn't judging though. I know McRae dislikes his notoriety.

I was going more for the people celebrating violence, as long as it was against someone they had a dislike for.
McRae dislikes his notoriety? Id be interested to read more about that if you can point me toward any interviews
https://www.balls.ie/rugby/he-did-somet ... dent-83754

Edit:

And here's the quote.

‘He and I know what happened in there. He did something, I saw red, he was below me and the rest is history. That’s what I’m known for now and I have to live with that. In hindsight, I wish it hadn’t got to that point but I can’t change it now – what’s done is done.’
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

paddyor wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote: April 14th, 2024, 8:04 pm Every supporter in France complains about every other club constantly, no one outside of LAR likes LAR, no one outside of Toulouse likes Toulouse, no one outside of Pau likes Pau etc etc. French clubs have huge budgets - Toulouse's budget this year is over €46 million

Toulouse €46.3 million
RC Toulon €39.6 million
Lyon LOU €37.1 million
Racing 92 €32.1 million
Oyonnax €17 million
They will also tell you that we only win because the refs are bent and the league is run for our benefit. Which is a point that contradicts the original that we big spenders. Like are spending our money on chancers who need refs to be in the hole for them. They’re FOS. Professionalism has been hard for the clubs beneath the national team in wales, a very different experience to the provinces.
The rugby community in Wales made the wilful decision to resist the logic of accepting- if not embracing regional rugby. They continue to pine for the clubs- whereby they once competed with the likes of their then English amateur equivalents- not the same as the same named (largely privately owned) clubs now. That grudging participation has led to- not only Irish provinces, but Scottish ‘Districts’- and now Italian franchises passing them out.

It’s on them.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

ronk wrote:
ronk wrote: I hadn't heard that, I wasn't judging though. I know McRae dislikes his notoriety.

Edit:

And here's the quote.

‘He and I know what happened in there. He did something, I saw red, he was below me and the rest is history. That’s what I’m known for now and I have to live with that. In hindsight, I wish it hadn’t got to that point but I can’t change it now – what’s done is done.’
Yeah- but seemingly no one else’s it… or TV recordings have it on tape.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

artaneboy wrote: April 15th, 2024, 12:04 am
ronk wrote:

Edit:

And here's the quote.

It does, however, explicitly record that he’s not fond of the notoriety, which answers the question asked, no?
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Leinster v La Rochelle Saturday 13th April 2024 at 5.30pm RTE2

Post by artaneboy »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
ronk wrote:

Edit:

And here's the quote.

It does, however, explicitly record that he’s not fond of the notoriety, which answers the question asked, no?
Who , other than just possibly a sociopath, would actually be fond of notoriety? Doesn’t really answer anything. All we know is that he doesn’t like the reputation he has, and claims he was provoked. We have plenty of evidence of what McRae actually did, and not anything except vague allusions- with no supporting evidence, to what he claims led to it.

The much simpler explanation is that he’s just trying to mitigate his transgressions, because he doesn’t like the continued reputation. And despite O’Gara’s justified loss of respect here, I’m with him on this issue, until I see some evidence.
Last edited by artaneboy on April 15th, 2024, 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

artaneboy wrote: April 15th, 2024, 12:47 am
Oldschoolsocks wrote:
Who , other than just possibly a sociopath, would actually be fond of notoriety? Doesn’t really answer anything. All we know is that he doesn’t like the reputation he has, and claims he was provoked. We gave plenty of evidence of what McRae actually did, and not anything except vague allusions- with no supporting evidence, to what he claims led to it.

The much simpler explanation is that he’s just trying to mitigate his transgressions, because he doesn’t like the continued reputation. And despite O’Gara’s justified loss of respect here, I’m with him on this issue, until I see some evidence.
Dunno, fair enuff. The question was answered though, the man does not revel in notoriety