A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Serb
Mullet

Re: Leinster v Northampton Saints - EPCR Semi-Final Croke Park 4th May

Post by Serb »

SaoPaulo41 wrote:
Blue Man wrote: April 19th, 2024, 8:31 pm
Oldschool wrote: April 19th, 2024, 5:01 pm I miss the rainy nights in Donnybrook.
Much more intimate with the crowd and players.
Bod and D'Arce, Denis, the Swirve to name a few backs.
Reggie, Mal, Miller, even Cozzer to name a few forwards.
Brent Pope, your man Stephen Jones to name a few media types.
Visitors like Martin Johnson with a face like thunder after we beat Leicester.
I miss the rainy nights in Donnybrook.
They were great. Down to Kiley’s after the match for pints with the team as they all tried to avoid Matt Williams in case he was going the give them a dressing down for a bad performance!!

That said, we’re box office now which is incredible. I can’t believe we sold 82k tickets in 2 days. I will be feasting on humble pie tonight!!

What share of the gate do we get?

Hope there are kiosks selling official Leinster merchandise around the ground, on the day.
No gate money for semi all to erc, but we get prize money for making semi, and more if we make final
Not sure exactly what the prize money for making the semi final is, but in 2022, it was €400k for making the final and €600k for winning the tournament, so I’d imagine we’re getting some fairly paltry sum for selling millions of euro in tickets
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Serb wrote: April 20th, 2024, 5:48 am
SaoPaulo41 wrote:
Blue Man wrote: April 19th, 2024, 8:31 pm

They were great. Down to Kiley’s after the match for pints with the team as they all tried to avoid Matt Williams in case he was going the give them a dressing down for a bad performance!!

That said, we’re box office now which is incredible. I can’t believe we sold 82k tickets in 2 days. I will be feasting on humble pie tonight!!

What share of the gate do we get?

Hope there are kiosks selling official Leinster merchandise around the ground, on the day.
No gate money for semi all to erc, but we get prize money for making semi, and more if we make final
Not sure exactly what the prize money for making the semi final is, but in 2022, it was €400k for making the final and €600k for winning the tournament, so I’d imagine we’re getting some fairly paltry sum for selling millions of euro in tickets
Not released by EPCR (yet) for 2023/4 but figure for winner last year was €1m, up from €600k previously. Suspect that losing semi-finalists get c. €400k each (which is same cost of hiring Aviva for one match).
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Prize money goes to whoever the stakeholder is and it's their job to distribute it - so in our case the IRFU, for English clubs it's the RFU/PRL, etc.

The real value isn't the prize money, it's in selling the win. Sponsorship bonuses, increased sponsorship value and opportunities, increased ticket sales etc.
I have Bumbleflex
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Dave Cahill wrote: April 20th, 2024, 9:25 am Prize money goes to whoever the stakeholder is and it's their job to distribute it - so in our case the IRFU, for English clubs it's the RFU/PRL, etc.

The real value isn't the prize money, it's in selling the win. Sponsorship bonuses, increased sponsorship value and opportunities, increased ticket sales etc.
Looks like we sold the win vs LAR pretty damn well so!,😁😁😁😁
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Article on the Saints’s coach Sam Vesty, who we might remember from the 2009 European Cup final. Northampton play good ball.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2024/ ... ence-rugby
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Jim Hamilton discusses the upcoming challenge for Northampton with Courtney Lawes. Jim does most of the talking, while Lawes reckons he and his lads can beat any team on the day and predicts "it's going to be a war". The excitement levels are building nicely...

https://youtu.be/ZYuWou0oiMk?si=bZUxx5Xv1ucohCOH
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

riocard911 wrote: April 20th, 2024, 10:54 am Jim Hamilton discusses the upcoming challenge for Northampton with Courtney Lawes. Jim does most of the talking, while Lawes reckons he and his lads can beat any team on the day and predicts "it's going to be a war". The excitement levels are building nicely...

saints are a decent team with an excellent attack. after beating LAR we will clearly go into the game as favourites but it's going to be some battle.
the occasion of playing in croke park in front of 82,000 is bound to pile expectations on our lads. I think we have enough to win but the bookies have it wrong with saints at 5/1 and us at 2/11.
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

fourthirtythree wrote:Article on the Saints’s coach Sam Vesty, who we might remember from the 2009 European Cup final. Northampton play good ball.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2024/ ... ence-rugby
Heard Dan Biggar say recently that Vesty is the best attack coach that he's come across and that Vesty is why Fin Smith will overtake Marcus Smith as the English 10

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

SaoPaulo41
Knowledgeable

Post by SaoPaulo41 »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote: April 20th, 2024, 11:08 am
riocard911 wrote: April 20th, 2024, 10:54 am Jim Hamilton discusses the upcoming challenge for Northampton with Courtney Lawes. Jim does most of the talking, while Lawes reckons he and his lads can beat any team on the day and predicts "it's going to be a war". The excitement levels are building nicely...

saints are a decent team with an excellent attack. after beating LAR we will clearly go into the game as favourites but it's going to be some battle.
the occasion of playing in croke park in front of 82,000 is bound to pile expectations on our lads. I think we have enough to win but the bookies have it wrong with saints at 5/1 and us at 2/11.
I don't think the Saints have enough up front to hurt us. They certainly are a good attacking side but I think we will win by 11 plus
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

Dave Cahill wrote: April 20th, 2024, 9:25 am Prize money goes to whoever the stakeholder is and it's their job to distribute it - so in our case the IRFU, for English clubs it's the RFU/PRL, etc.

Yes I think the commercials and brand enhancement are massive (although, I suspect the shirt sponsorship, pooled approach with Bank of Ireland) might be less than the potential sum of the parts.

The other intangible is the connection with new supporters. There were lots of families and young children at the quarter final and everyone I spoke to had a fantastic experience. The kids now want a Leinster jerseys, rather than Inter Miami or Man United.

If we can convert a fraction of the Aviva / Croke Park occasionals to STHs it’s potentially very lucrative.
Imagine 20k STHs (@ avg €350 that’s €7m) it would put us in a really solid place.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Blue Man wrote:

Yes I think the commercials and brand enhancement are massive (although, I suspect the shirt sponsorship, pooled approach with Bank of Ireland) might be less than the potential sum of the parts.

The other intangible is the connection with new supporters. There were lots of families and young children at the quarter final and everyone I spoke to had a fantastic experience. The kids now want a Leinster jerseys, rather than Inter Miami or Man United.

If we can convert a fraction of the Aviva / Croke Park occasionals to STHs it’s potentially very lucrative.
Imagine 20k STHs (@ avg €350 that’s €7m) it would put us in a really solid place.
Can only sell 14.5k season tickets. Maybe a bit more in redeveloped RDS but only 500 or 1k extra

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

The Doc wrote: April 20th, 2024, 2:28 pm
Blue Man wrote:

Can only sell 14.5k season tickets. Maybe a bit more in redeveloped RDS but only 500 or 1k extra

It’s Aviva next year
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Blue Man wrote:
The Doc wrote: April 20th, 2024, 2:28 pm
Blue Man wrote: Yes I think the commercials and brand enhancement are massive (although, I suspect the shirt sponsorship, pooled approach with Bank of Ireland) might be less than the potential sum of the parts.

It’s Aviva next year
Yeah but ST holders next year have to be able to buy ST the following year. So they are limited by the RDS limit.

They could offer multi game packages that don't have ST rights.

Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

The Doc wrote: April 20th, 2024, 4:59 pm
Blue Man wrote:
The Doc wrote: April 20th, 2024, 2:28 pm Can only sell 14.5k season tickets. Maybe a bit more in redeveloped RDS but only 500 or 1k extra

It’s Aviva next year
Yeah but ST holders next year have to be able to buy ST the following year. So they are limited by the RDS limit.

There is nothing that says new Sarah’s next year have to be able to buy a ST the following year.

We should sell as many one year packages as possible and new STHs should get first refusal on any surplus STs in the RDS. They could also get first options on general tickets for the RDS, if they pay a small ‘associate membership’ fee.

Lots of options, it just requires some lateral thinking.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Blue Man wrote:
The Doc wrote: April 20th, 2024, 4:59 pm
Blue Man wrote: It’s Aviva next year

There is nothing that says new Sarah’s next year have to be able to buy a ST the following year.

There is. They specifically say ST next year will have the right to ST the following year in the priority sale. They can't differentiate between ST this year and new ST holders next year.

But they could sell "season packages" which don't have the rights of a ST. But given one of the main benefits of a ST is the priority for the following year, I'm not sure how attractive that'll be

matt
Enlightened

Post by matt »

Go easy signs off rte programme with “Leinster have the money Munster have the points” and O’Callaghan contradicts everything he said at start of programme about Munster not able to compete financially.

That said delighted to see Bulls drop 4 points and they will miss Goosen for some games.
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

matt wrote: April 20th, 2024, 6:08 pm Go easy signs off rte programme with “Leinster have the money Munster have the points” and O’Callaghan contradicts everything he said at start of programme about Munster not able to compete financially.

That said delighted to see Bulls drop 4 points and they will miss Goosen for some games.
Focking outrageous. Disgraceful bias
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

The Doc wrote: April 20th, 2024, 5:25 pm
Blue Man wrote:
The Doc wrote: April 20th, 2024, 4:59 pm Yeah but ST holders next year have to be able to buy ST the following year. So they are limited by the RDS limit.

There is. They specifically say ST next year will have the right to ST the following year in the priority sale. They can't differentiate between ST this year and new ST holders next year.

But they could sell "season packages" which don't have the rights of a ST. But given one of the main benefits of a ST is the priority for the following year, I'm not sure how attractive that'll be

Exactly; easily addressed with some basic thinking
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Blue Man wrote: April 20th, 2024, 6:14 pm
matt wrote: April 20th, 2024, 6:08 pm Go easy signs off rte programme with “Leinster have the money Munster have the points” and O’Callaghan contradicts everything he said at start of programme about Munster not able to compete financially.

Focking outrageous. Disgraceful bias
You can't have your cake and eat it.
I waa cheering Munster on. Maybe we should get Bertie to organise a whip around for them.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Northampton whacked Leicester today in the Prem 40-17.