A whiff of Cordite

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by JB1973 »

The URC ( and it's previous guises) serves a purpose there is no doubting both the welsh and Irish national teams have improved greatly since it started. Both have won grand slams both have even made it to number 1 in the world rankings, imagine that in the 80s? Not to mention the many European successes the Irish sides enjoyed

Yes the rugby is not great and there are mismatches but what is the alternative? back to welsh clubs playing each other and the test team losing to Canada , Romania and getting thumped by all the big sides?

Do you guys want to go back to blackrock vs young munster?

The premiership is imo the best league out there, big crowds, high scores and often close games but the t14 is often a boring slog and I can hardly ever watch a full match

if ROG is being honest the URC is as good as spectacle as the T14 week in week out
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

munster#1 wrote: January 26th, 2022, 3:58 pm Whilst I would disagree with you on Van Graan’s development process, as I think that it is one of his few redeeming factors, I do feel that discussing it here would detract from the conversation.

You are correct, I do like to watch young players not only get chances, but also take those chances.
For me, this is where our league comes into its own.
The URC imo is a strong development league which allows clubs to compete in the HC on a regular basis, and produces a steady flow of internationals for each country involved.

This use of the league for this purpose is what lowers the quality of the league. It is deduced to a league where the bigger clubs don’t have to field anything close to full strength teams to make the knockouts.
MOC disproved this theory of the Pro12 in his second season and Foley too the season after. The move to 14 teams and 6 playoff slots has made it easier granted but the home incentive of a home semi means you do have to win every other time.

The weakness of the URC are mostly union specifc. The Scots didn't spend any money on their teams for years and they can't afford(or have decided to save a few quid) to keep their best players(Russell, Hogg, Gray etc) in Scotland. They've had to plug holes in player production with saffer and English imports. It appears to be paying off with both sides being a bit competive.

You could a book on the probelms of the Welsh regions. It's certainly true in many of their cases that their players only seem to care about Wales. Not sure how you fix that.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

JB1973 wrote: January 26th, 2022, 4:14 pm The URC ( and it's previous guises) serves a purpose there is no doubting both the welsh and Irish national teams have improved greatly since it started. Both have won grand slams both have even made it to number 1 in the world rankings, imagine that in the 80s? Not to mention the many European successes the Irish sides enjoyed

Yes the rugby is not great and there are mismatches but what is the alternative? back to welsh clubs playing each other and the test team losing to Canada , Romania and getting thumped by all the big sides?

Do you guys want to go back to blackrock vs young munster?

The premiership is imo the best league out there, big crowds, high scores and often close games but the t14 is often a boring slog and I can hardly ever watch a full match

if ROG is being honest the URC is as good as spectacle as the T14 week in week out
I think that's a pretty fair opinion JB and probably close to the truth.

I think it's closer then ROG's anyway. At the end of the day that's the thing though, it's all just opinion. There is no real way to prove it.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

wixfjord wrote: January 26th, 2022, 4:14 pm The Top14 is by far and away a bigger and better quality league than the URC. Not sure how that can be argued.

(For anyone who wants to watch high quality rugby TV production by the way, try tune into Canal's Saturday Top14 live programme. It's incredibly well produced and really makes a spectacle of the 2-3 games that are shown).

The Prem has declined I think for a variety of reasons, but it also means more to most fans and clubs than the Heineken Cup does to URC clubs.

Once we get a proper year where the SA clubs are involved and engaged then that might change.
Was it?
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Whatever league Leinster play in is the best, IMO. End of!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Dave Cahill wrote: December 19th, 2021, 6:13 pm
riocard911 wrote: December 19th, 2021, 6:07 pm

Once a plonker, always a plonker. If I were advising Exeter in terms of PR and branding I'd have the Chief transformed into a Dumnonii chieftain, with a big beard, big shield and big sword. This Red-Indian stuff is downright cringeworthy in this day and age and the hanging on to it embarrassing.
Thats actually what they're doing - they have engaged historians from local universities to reseach local celtic and other historical peoples to create a new brand identity
I have Bumbleflex
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Personally I think they missed a trick by not rebranding as "Chieftains" and used Paddy Moloneys image :D
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Would it be auto cultural appropriation or self cultural appropriation?
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Dave Cahill wrote: January 27th, 2022, 2:22 pm
Dave Cahill wrote: December 19th, 2021, 6:13 pm
riocard911 wrote: December 19th, 2021, 6:07 pm

Once a plonker, always a plonker. If I were advising Exeter in terms of PR and branding I'd have the Chief transformed into a Dumnonii chieftain, with a big beard, big shield and big sword. This Red-Indian stuff is downright cringeworthy in this day and age and the hanging on to it embarrassing.
Thats actually what they're doing - they have engaged historians from local universities to reseach local celtic and other historical peoples to create a new brand identity
Thanks for the follow up, Dave. Lovely branding. I think they can be happy with that. I would be.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

And they can swap the drums for bodhrans - not sure what they do with the tomahawk chop chant :-)
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Dave Cahill wrote: January 27th, 2022, 2:22 pm Image
Anyone else seeing Jack Nowell in a mongol hat/helmut?
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

The Doc wrote: January 27th, 2022, 3:42 pm And they can swap the drums for bodhrans - not sure what they do with the tomahawk chop chant :-)
axe it :wink:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

paddyor wrote: January 27th, 2022, 5:25 pm
German pre WW1
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I wasn't, but now you say it I can't unsee it!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

In lipstick
EDIT and rouge and eyeliner
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Very good, Ronk. That said, I imagine warpaint may well have been de rigeur going into battle for the Dumnonii back in the day....
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Oldschool wrote: January 27th, 2022, 5:34 pm
German pre WW1
Loose the ponytail and the makeup and it could be Paul Von Hindenberg
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Paul von Hindenburg...there's a solution to our NIQ tighthead second-row needs...
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Garry Doyle's article in The42 fanboying Munster's win against Edinburgh is something else
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

Laighin Break wrote:Garry Doyle's article in The42 fanboying Munster's win against Edinburgh is something else
Watched the game and thought Casey was awful, the article is singing his praises

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk