A whiff of Cordite

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

m0nks
Beginner

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by m0nks »

I would have listened to a lot of OTB Rugby and the 42 (before the paywall). But I've found OTB very Munster centric recently and haven't jumped to pay for MK & Birch.

In terms of pundits; I do like Birch (he's also on RTEs rugby podcast), MK, Toland, Dunne, Thornley (whom I've gone full circle on!), BOD, O'Gara and Louise Galvin (she's one of the best actually!)

In terms of presenters; I like Neil Tracey (Former OTB now Rte), Joe, Ger Gilroy (I enjoy the way he gets his spoon out and stirs it up!)

Pundits I could happily live without; Matt W, Quinny, Ferris, Fitzgerald and I wouldn't be mad on Stringer (just find him a little boring).

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

m0nks
Beginner

Post by m0nks »

In my search for a new podcast I've recently been listening to the following..

PSOM - Like the even spread given to the provinces, but I've found 'The Bants' too much and have dropped it

Master of Known - More Connacht centric, but decent coverage of other provinces (I'm based out West too, so my 2nd team!)

Harpin on about Rugby - Leinster focused. Grand for a bit of pub chat. Not hooked but fills a gap.

Would love a podcast with a more balanced view across all of the provinces and dedicated some time to look beyond Ireland to other URC teams.

Haven't quite found what I'm looking for yet..

I need to try the Mole.

m0nks
Beginner

Post by m0nks »

PSOM - Like the even spread given to the provinces, but I've found 'The Bants' too much and have dropped it

Master of Known - More Connacht centric, but decent coverage of other provinces (I'm based out West too, so my 2nd team!)

Harpin on about Rugby - Leinster focused. Grand for a bit of pub chat. Not hooked but fills a gap.

Would love a podcast with a more balanced view across all of the provinces and dedicated some time to look beyond Ireland to other URC teams.

I need to try the Mole.

m0nks
Beginner

Post by m0nks »

I need to try the Mole.

Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Up Wexford wrote: May 5th, 2022, 10:26 pm Surprised to hear Andy Dunne is marmite, id put him in the upper tier of analysts.

The problem with the 42 and Second captains being behind the paywall is essentially it is a subscription for pub chat. We pay for live sports, or exceptional analysis on a one off basis - i'll buy the IT the weekend of the Heineken cup or Championship hurling/football weekend for example. But be under no illusion, (betraying my vintage here) but second captains going behind a paywall, while at the time seen as a folly, has proved extremely lucrative for the presenters and I assume its the same for the 42 - fiver a month over three, five, twenty years is business 101, who really unsubscribes from things - maybe 5% pa?

I find Eoin Toolan and Murray Kinsella together in one podcast tough going - on their own they're fine but together they really suck the joy out of rugby - I'm not studying my leaving cert revision notes here, sometimes I just want to hear James Lowe call people a bollix

The rugby pod is actually a good listen - I think its vital for us to step outside our ireland bubble. Hamilton is a git but he can be quite astute in his feel for the game and his views on various clubs/leagues filtered through his actual experience is invaluable. Andy Goode is a (british) national treasure, but if I hear the english top division called "the Prem" one more time... They have excellent guests and again crucially it is free to air.

Demented Mole/The Molecast and Blues Talk, genuinely is where its at though. Also, Blues Talk if you're sick of the hassle of podcasting and want someone to take over the franchise don't hesitate to send a DM!
That’s what marmite means, you love ‘em or hate ‘em. Personally I love Andy Dunne. I also love marmite, so there is that also…
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: May 5th, 2022, 11:36 pm
Up Wexford wrote: May 5th, 2022, 10:26 pm Surprised to hear Andy Dunne is marmite, id put him in the upper tier of analysts.

The problem with the 42 and Second captains being behind the paywall is essentially it is a subscription for pub chat. We pay for live sports, or exceptional analysis on a one off basis - i'll buy the IT the weekend of the Heineken cup or Championship hurling/football weekend for example. But be under no illusion, (betraying my vintage here) but second captains going behind a paywall, while at the time seen as a folly, has proved extremely lucrative for the presenters and I assume its the same for the 42 - fiver a month over three, five, twenty years is business 101, who really unsubscribes from things - maybe 5% pa?

I find Eoin Toolan and Murray Kinsella together in one podcast tough going - on their own they're fine but together they really suck the joy out of rugby - I'm not studying my leaving cert revision notes here, sometimes I just want to hear James Lowe call people a bollix

The rugby pod is actually a good listen - I think its vital for us to step outside our ireland bubble. Hamilton is a git but he can be quite astute in his feel for the game and his views on various clubs/leagues filtered through his actual experience is invaluable. Andy Goode is a (british) national treasure, but if I hear the english top division called "the Prem" one more time... They have excellent guests and again crucially it is free to air.

Demented Mole/The Molecast and Blues Talk, genuinely is where its at though. Also, Blues Talk if you're sick of the hassle of podcasting and want someone to take over the franchise don't hesitate to send a DM!
That’s what marmite means, you love ‘em or hate ‘em. Personally I love Andy Dunne. I also love marmite, so there is that also…
I’m the same think Andy is great, pity he isn’t on as much lately
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

42 as others have said is far more likely to give every province a decent discussion (although Ulster are still under-served) with everyone else trailing behind Munster's total air time. I like Murray and Eoin's more technical and detailed stuff but can imagine it is not everyone's thing. Someone pointed out how Gavan Casey cannot finish a question in less than about 7 clauses and I can't not hear it now.

On OTB I haven't listened in ages but found Mattie to be pure content fodder saying something provocative enough to stir the pot but not too much he can't bat away responsibility for saying/writing afterwards if it is totally off the mark (Ireland must go all in on 7s for example).

Second Captains loves the standard Munster talking points and between Shane Horgan and Simon Hick love nothing more than putting the boot into Leinster when they lose a big game. Simon Hick doesn't like rugby as far as I can tell. Doesn't seem to want it to exist as a contact sport in future so his son won't have an option to play it. Concussion gets the Helen Lovejoy treatment from him at least once every two weeks.

I can't stand Gervais as he does the same material from his article on every pod with the same wording and beats. You can hear him working hard to fit them in or waiting for the right moment to butt in with it. Neither entertaining or showing insight. His parody twitter is still the best thing about his contribution to rugby.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Amazed someone hasn't mentioned Tommy Bowe and Rory Best. They do a weekly half hour on beeb ni.
Very entertaining.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Serb wrote: May 5th, 2022, 9:28 pm What app do you use to listen to podcasts?

If you’re on an iPhone, I’d highly recommend Overcast. It’s overall a great app, but it has a feature that cuts out dead air, so the gaps you’re experiencing will just be removed.

Pocket Casts on Android has the same feature if you’re an Android user.
Is there any way of listening to the paid subscription podcasts like 42 if you use a podcast app, or do you have to play them on their website?
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

An excellent read on Hugo and his rise - https://www.the42.ie/hugo-keenan-leinst ... /#comments
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

CiaranIrl wrote: May 6th, 2022, 9:00 am

If you’re on an iPhone, I’d highly recommend Overcast. It’s overall a great app, but it has a feature that cuts out dead air, so the gaps you’re experiencing will just be removed.

Is there any way of listening to the paid subscription podcasts like 42 if you use a podcast app, or do you have to play them on their website?
Yes they send you a private link to insert into your podcast app. Pretty easy to do. I use Overcast.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

wixfjord wrote: May 6th, 2022, 9:03 am
CiaranIrl wrote: May 6th, 2022, 9:00 am

Yes they send you a private link to insert into your podcast app. Pretty easy to do. I use Overcast.
Thanks - that's more appealing so.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Oldschool wrote: May 6th, 2022, 8:26 am Amazed someone hasn't mentioned Tommy Bowe and Rory Best. They do a weekly half hour on beeb ni.
Very entertaining.
Will check it out. Grma!
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

Up Wexford wrote: May 5th, 2022, 10:26 pm The problem with the 42 and Second captains being behind the paywall is essentially it is a subscription for pub chat. We pay for live sports, or exceptional analysis on a one off basis - i'll buy the IT the weekend of the Heineken cup or Championship hurling/football weekend for example. But be under no illusion, (betraying my vintage here) but second captains going behind a paywall, while at the time seen as a folly, has proved extremely lucrative for the presenters and I assume its the same for the 42 - fiver a month over three, five, twenty years is business 101, who really unsubscribes from things - maybe 5% pa?
Nothing you get is "free". If you don't have to pay for a podcast directly you get interrupted with annoying ads.

However, the main point is that it is important to support good, independent media or all we will end up with is the Daily Mail forcing opinions on us. If people refuse to pay for independent media we will end up with an echo-chamber led mediascape like in America. The Irish Times has very nearly gone to the wall on a few occasions in the past 20 years but has remodeled itself to become a largely-online offering.

Personally, I have subscriptions to the42, The Irish Times and Second Captains and all are cheap at twice the price.

Finally, to the person who said above that the re are ways around paying for a subscription service, you deserve the Murdoch media cesspit that we would end up in if we all did that. Jesus, it's €4 a month, would it kill you to support the likes of Murray Kinsella to keep doing what they do?
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

joooooe wrote: May 6th, 2022, 9:30 am
Up Wexford wrote: May 5th, 2022, 10:26 pm The problem with the 42 and Second captains being behind the paywall is essentially it is a subscription for pub chat. We pay for live sports, or exceptional analysis on a one off basis - i'll buy the IT the weekend of the Heineken cup or Championship hurling/football weekend for example. But be under no illusion, (betraying my vintage here) but second captains going behind a paywall, while at the time seen as a folly, has proved extremely lucrative for the presenters and I assume its the same for the 42 - fiver a month over three, five, twenty years is business 101, who really unsubscribes from things - maybe 5% pa?
Nothing you get is "free". If you don't have to pay for a podcast directly you get interrupted with annoying ads.

However, the main point is that it is important to support good, independent media or all we will end up with is the Daily Mail forcing opinions on us. If people refuse to pay for independent media we will end up with an echo-chamber led mediascape like in America. The Irish Times has very nearly gone to the wall on a few occasions in the past 20 years but has remodeled itself to become a largely-online offering.

Personally, I have subscriptions to the42, The Irish Times and Second Captains and all are cheap at twice the price.

Finally, to the person who said above that the re are ways around paying for a subscription service, you deserve the Murdoch media cesspit that we would end up in if we all did that. Jesus, it's €4 a month, would it kill you to support the likes of Murray Kinsella to keep doing what they do?
Don't hate the player
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

joooooe wrote: May 6th, 2022, 9:30 am

Eh, I think they were asking how to listen to them using a podcast app rather than the website.

I subscribe to The42 and use an app (PlayerFM) to listen to the member's pods, it's easier as you get reminders and can download them automatically etc and don't have to use a browser to listen to them.
berliner
Bookworm

Post by berliner »

m0nks wrote: May 5th, 2022, 11:32 pm In my search for a new podcast I've recently been listening to the following..

Master of None ;)

https://anchor.fm/stephen-murphy8
berliner
Bookworm

Post by berliner »

Theleinsterlad wrote: May 6th, 2022, 7:00 am
Oldschoolsocks wrote: May 5th, 2022, 11:36 pm
I’m the same think Andy is great, pity he isn’t on as much lately
I like Dunne and find him very articulate, was sorry when he disappeared from the42.ie. I know he has a physio practice, so he might be busy with that. Any sightings elsewhere in the media or has he just given up punditry altogether?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Up Wexford wrote: May 5th, 2022, 10:26 pm Also, Blues Talk if you're sick of the hassle of podcasting and want someone to take over the franchise don't hesitate to send a DM!
To be honest, I spent almost all of last year in front of a webcam either on Zoom or Teams and the last thing I wanted to do when I got home was sit in front of a webcam! Also, a lot of the stuff we were doing in work was happening after work so I was working a lot of evenings too - and in front of that damned webcam! So the enthusiasm waned.

However, doings are transpiring - stay tuned!
I have Bumbleflex
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Dave Cahill wrote: May 6th, 2022, 10:46 am
Up Wexford wrote: May 5th, 2022, 10:26 pm Also, Blues Talk if you're sick of the hassle of podcasting and want someone to take over the franchise don't hesitate to send a DM!
To be honest, I spent almost all of last year in front of a webcam either on Zoom or Teams and the last thing I wanted to do when I got home was sit in front of a webcam! Also, a lot of the stuff we were doing in work was happening after work so I was working a lot of evenings too - and in front of that damned webcam! So the enthusiasm waned.

However, doings are transpiring - stay tuned!
First of all… Deadly
Secondly, very understandable. I find it pretty difficult to sign off work on time when WFH.
Finally, I’m just glad you all haven’t fallen out with each other.