Leinster exiles, where are they.

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

FLIP
Seán Cronin

Re: Leinster exiles, where are they.

Post by FLIP »

Adam Bryne just opened the score sheet for the Barbarians vs Spain.

Was hoping they'd give the conversion to big Dev, but alas.
Anyone But New Zealand
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

Not watching the game, but checked the score and you got your wish Image

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

So long Dev :cry:

I really hope we see him back in a coaching capacity at some stage. As I’ve said before, his size was both a blessing and a curse and he had to work unbelievably hard and be incredibly smart to overcome his deficiencies. Combine that with his lineout knowledge and there has to be a coach in there somehow.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Serb wrote: June 25th, 2022, 9:47 pm Not watching the game, but checked the score and you got your wish Image

Yeah, right on the far left touch line!

Meanwhile Ryno Smith got the one right in front of the post.
Anyone But New Zealand
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Presumably those who got their knickers in a twist over Muldoon taking a kick against Leinster will be even more outraged about this?
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

leinsterforever wrote: June 26th, 2022, 4:14 pm Presumably those who got their knickers in a twist over Muldoon taking a kick against Leinster will be even more outraged about this?
An interpro league game isn't the same as an end of season BaaBaas game against Spain.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Michael Bent.

Back in an Ireland Jersey.

Proper Legend.

Check update at 7:53

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2022/0702 ... d-updates/
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Two superb performances by Beirne on that tour. His last 20 minutes, in particular, were sublime.

You really have to wonder if he is the player that would have made the difference for us against La Rochelle.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

curates_egg wrote: July 18th, 2022, 8:52 am Two superb performances by Beirne on that tour. His last 20 minutes, in particular, were sublime.

You really have to wonder if he is the player that would have made the difference for us against La Rochelle.
I honestly don’t think he would have developed into the player he is now if he’d never moved
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: July 18th, 2022, 9:24 am
curates_egg wrote: July 18th, 2022, 8:52 am Two superb performances by Beirne on that tour. His last 20 minutes, in particular, were sublime.

I honestly don’t think he would have developed into the player he is now if he’d never moved
Coaching environment is far superior at Leinster than at Scarlets and possibly munster - Rowntree might have made a difference i suppose but given we supplied 6 starting forwards for Ireland last weekend you'd have to conclude that he'd hardly have been at a disadvantage, Either way, he's become an absolutely superb asset for Ireland and Munster.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Maybe not, but that's not my point.
We could still have tried to get him back.
Impossible to say but you could argue he might have been the player to make the difference in both matches against them.

Needs to work on his angry face though.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Flash Gordon wrote: July 18th, 2022, 10:50 am

Coaching environment is far superior at Leinster than at Scarlets and possibly munster - Rowntree might have made a difference i suppose but given we supplied 6 starting forwards for Ireland last weekend you'd have to conclude that he'd hardly have been at a disadvantage, Either way, he's become an absolutely superb asset for Ireland and Munster.
The coaching environment now is better at Leinster than either the Scarlets or down south, but at the time TB left (2016) we were recovering from Matt bleeding O’Connor and in Leo’s first year coaching before Bomber came along.

TB had 4 Leinster caps (I believe) when he left. It is unquestionable that under Pivac Beirne was a superstar with 57 caps in two seasons, playing 4, 6 and 8. I’m not sure he would have gotten that exposure with Leinster.

Maybe I’m wrong, maybe it’s academic at this stage, but I actually do think that his move to the Scarlets is what made him the player he now is…
Last edited by Oldschoolsocks on July 18th, 2022, 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

curates_egg wrote: July 18th, 2022, 12:55 pm

Maybe not, but that's not my point.
We could still have tried to get him back.
Impossible to say but you could argue he might have been the player to make the difference in both matches against them.

Needs to work on his angry face though.
I think we may have tried to get him back, but he didn’t want to come back to us? Again I could be totes wrong there too…

Let me try to find where I got that from:

I think it’s from here:
https://www.sportsjoe.ie/amp/rugby/tadh ... ter-138949

When Joe Schmidt spoke with Beirne, earlier this year, about a return to Ireland, he zeroed in on a switch to Munster. One feels he still has some stuff to prove to his old club.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: July 18th, 2022, 1:03 pm
I think we may have tried to get him back, but he didn’t want to come back to us? Again I could be totes wrong there too…

Let me try to find where I got that from
From interviews I've heard he has a total chip on his shoulder over the way he feels he was treated by Leinster. Now that may be valid but would be contrary to the information that I've heard in relation to him, which is that Leinster did everything they felt they reasonably could to keep him but eventually they had to make a call on his ongoing injury issues.

With that being said he has been injured a hell of a lot. So using CE's sliding door moment above he wouldn't have been available to play in the final for us anyway, as he would have been injured (yeah, yeah I know ...... if he'd being playing for us would he have got injured etc.)
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: July 18th, 2022, 1:00 pm
Flash Gordon wrote: July 18th, 2022, 10:50 am

The coaching environment now is better at Leinster than either the Scarlets or down south, but at the time TB left (2016) we were recovering from Matt bleeding O’Connor and in Leo’s first year coaching before Bomber came along.

TB had 4 Leinster caps (I believe) when he left. It is unquestionable that under Pivac Beirne was a superstar with 57 caps in two seasons, playing 4, 6 and 8. I’m not sure he would have gotten that exposure with Leinster.

Maybe I’m wrong, maybe it’s academic at this stage, but I actually do think that his move to the Scarlets is what made him the player he now is…
Ah OK, see where you're coming from. No, clearly moving helped him, it's a pity we couldn't stick out the injuries together and develop him in house. Though you wonder would he have got much of a chance with Ryan, Toner and Fardy around at lock and given that we've been an international back rower production line for years.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

LeinsterLeader wrote: July 18th, 2022, 1:14 pm
Oldschoolsocks wrote: July 18th, 2022, 1:03 pm

Let me try to find where I got that from
From interviews I've heard he has a total chip on his shoulder over the way he feels he was treated by Leinster. Now that may be valid but would be contrary to the information that I've heard in relation to him, which is that Leinster did everything they felt they reasonably could to keep him but eventually they had to make a call on his ongoing injury issues.

With that being said he has been injured a hell of a lot. So using CE's sliding door moment above he wouldn't have been available to play in the final for us anyway, as he would have been injured (yeah, yeah I know ...... if he'd being playing for us would he have got injured etc.)
That's a reasonable point. The reason we didn't keep him was injuries, and he still gets them (including during the six nations this year, as you note).
For some reason, he hardly seemed to be injured at Scarlets.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

4 forwards in the NZ squad are ex-Leinster without having been poached. Loughman, Beirne, Prendergast, Timoney.

It's a huge tribute to the Leinster production system and also an indictment of our development. But it's a much bigger indictment of the other provinces.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

ronk wrote: July 18th, 2022, 3:29 pm 4 forwards in the NZ squad are ex-Leinster without having been poached. Loughman, Beirne, Prendergast, Timoney.

It's a huge tribute to the Leinster production system and also an indictment of our development. But it's a much bigger indictment of the other provinces.
I think you can automatically separate Prendergast and Timoney from that list because we clearly appear to have gotten the backrow calls right.
As for Loughman, the other three looseheads on the tour are current Leinster players, so it doesn't really reflect badly on us either.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Beirne isn't looking nearly as good against a heavyweight pack such as La Rochelle or SA if playing for Ireland.

He player extremely well but NZ didn't challenge Ireland the way Sarries/La Rochelle did Leinster.