BBC northern Ireland rugby

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: BBC northern Ireland rugby

Post by Oldschool »

neiliog93 wrote:
kermischocolate wrote:You can be biased for "your" team without disparaging the opposition. That's what annoys me so much.

Watching BBC Alba there is no question Hugh Dan is supporting the Scottish teams but he never runs down the opposition. (well, I don't think he does. Neither do the players who are co-commentating)

As has been said it was like being in the stand with a group of rabid Ulster supporters last night. The discussion of Clancy's refereeing was embarrassing- these are supposed to be professionals, not an Internet forum discussion. As a (semi) neutral I have less than no interest is listening to it.
Agreed...the 'analysis' by the guy whose accent is half Kiwi/half Belfast is so biased it's embarrassing. Far worse than anything from English BBC rugby pundits or RTE.
Ryan Constable is an Aussie and Andy Ward is a Kiwi but you can take pick.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Aird wrote:When Rte used to cover Pro12 rugby we had the pleasure of Franno appearing as an analyst, and other southern worthies commenting on Ulster with very little knowledge of Ulster Rugby.
Why shouldn't BBC NI produce a programme for the benefit of their license payers rather than those FTA viewers in Carlow etc. who choose to watch for free.
.. Personally I gladly put up with Jim Neely's uniqe style if it insures that we get100% coverage along with the games on Sky of Ulster's Pro 12 games I Think we are as some one pointed out unique in having this situation.
It also never fails to amaze me the wildly differing cross section of public who regularly watch Ulster Rugby Live on Tv, in age profile,in various sporting backgrounds and through the whole social spectrum.
I wouldn't quite go as far as certain Mr Tweed who told the RTE interviewer at Lansdowne when asked how it felt to play for his country, his reply was words to the Effect that he had already played for his country many times at Ravenhill but it does strike a chord.
Glad Robson meets with your approval as most of Wales think he is biased to wards Ulster. Of course the fact that he was mentored by Jim Neely in his early career with BBC NI may have had some influence on him.

As for the 6N I must admit to watching on RTE for a similar reason in that at least their biased and often slanted opinions are leaning in the right direction.
Jimmy's ok and you're right it's his official audience that he plays to.
Wishing Jimmy and his various audiences a very Merry Christmas.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Aye, the lad I'm talking about is Andy Ward.

As for Aird's comments, Neil Francis a) has barely (if) ever appeared on RTÉ, you might be thinking of Setanta Sports and b) was wildly, way, way over the top critical of Leinster rugby from 2006-April 2009, to the point that he alienated the players, branch and fans. He's no harsher on Ulster now than he used to be on Leinster when Leinster weren't winning things. c) He's universally recognised as a complete tool on all of these boards and in mainstream Irish opinion.

I think the point here is that the BBC NI coverage is more biased than any other broadcasting I've ever seen. Robson does a very good job of being objective on Sky though, I'd agree.

I actually really like Jim, his enthusiasm is great and he makes plenty of funny comments in the way only an older Ulster gentleman can. It's more the studio analysis I dislike. You can gear your coverage towards a certain audience without being so biased and almost bitter.

Your comments bringing up Davy Tweed of all people striking a chord are a bit out of order and on the whole your reaction to moderate, justified criticism is overly sensitive. See the persecution complex I mentioned earlier. And I have (Protestant) family roots in Ulster btw, hence the logo, and support them as my second team (ridiculously overdue silverware!)

Not trying to have a go here, but I don't think you can compare RTÉ rugby coverage with BBC NI in terms of bias levels, and having a 'targeted audience' isn't really an excuse.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

neiliog93 wrote:Aye, the lad I'm talking about is Andy Ward.

As for Aird's comments, Neil Francis a) has barely (if) ever appeared on RTÉ, you might be thinking of Setanta Sports and b) was wildly, way, way over the top critical of Leinster rugby from 2006-April 2009, to the point that he alienated the players, branch and fans. He's no harsher on Ulster now than he used to be on Leinster when Leinster weren't winning things. c) He's universally recognised as a complete tool on all of these boards and in mainstream Irish opinion.

I think the point here is that the BBC NI coverage is more biased than any other broadcasting I've ever seen. Robson does a very good job of being objective on Sky though, I'd agree.

I actually really like Jim, his enthusiasm is great and he makes plenty of funny comments in the way only an older Ulster gentleman can. It's more the studio analysis I dislike. You can gear your coverage towards a certain audience without being so biased and almost bitter.

Your comments bringing up Davy Tweed of all people striking a chord are a bit out of order and on the whole your reaction to moderate, justified criticism is overly sensitive. See the persecution complex I mentioned earlier. And I have (Protestant) family roots in Ulster btw, hence the logo, and support them as my second team (ridiculously overdue silverware!)

Not trying to have a go here, but I don't think you can compare RTÉ rugby coverage with BBC NI in terms of bias levels, and having a 'targeted audience' isn't really an excuse.
Bias of Welsh commentators is right up there.

*** Edited by mod ***
Last edited by limecat on December 25th, 2016, 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Potentially libellous comments removed
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Aird wrote:When Rte used to cover Pro12 rugby we had the pleasure of Franno appearing as an analyst, and other southern worthies commenting on Ulster with very little knowledge of Ulster Rugby.
Why shouldn't BBC NI produce a programme for the benefit of their license payers rather than those FTA viewers in Carlow etc. who choose to watch for free.
.. Personally I gladly put up with Jim Neely's uniqe style if it insures that we get100% coverage along with the games on Sky of Ulster's Pro 12 games I Think we are as some one pointed out unique in having this situation.
It also never fails to amaze me the wildly differing cross section of public who regularly watch Ulster Rugby Live on Tv, in age profile,in various sporting backgrounds and through the whole social spectrum.
I wouldn't quite go as far as certain Mr Tweed who told the RTE interviewer at Lansdowne when asked how it felt to play for his country, his reply was words to the Effect that he had already played for his country many times at Ravenhill but it does strike a chord.
Glad Robson meets with your approval as most of Wales think he is biased to wards Ulster. Of course the fact that he was mentored by Jim Neely in his early career with BBC NI may have had some influence on him.

As for the 6N I must admit to watching on RTE for a similar reason in that at least their biased and often slanted opinions are leaning in the right direction.
Franno was never on RTE, they'd already filled out their quota of bloviating buffoons with McGuirk and Hook. He also slates everyone, including Leinster. In December 2008 he rather famously declared we'd never win the Heineken Cup.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

neiliog93 wrote:
kermischocolate wrote:You can be biased for "your" team without disparaging the opposition. That's what annoys me so much.

Watching BBC Alba there is no question Hugh Dan is supporting the Scottish teams but he never runs down the opposition. (well, I don't think he does. Neither do the players who are co-commentating)

As has been said it was like being in the stand with a group of rabid Ulster supporters last night. The discussion of Clancy's refereeing was embarrassing- these are supposed to be professionals, not an Internet forum discussion. As a (semi) neutral I have less than no interest is listening to it.
Agreed...the 'analysis' by the guy whose accent is half Kiwi/half Belfast is so biased it's embarrassing. Far worse than anything from English BBC rugby pundits or RTE.

I thought the whinging Kiwi, Andy Ward, was a bit out of order last night when talking about the ref at half time. Basically claiming Clancy is biased against Ulster. Funny thing is Connacht supporters think Clancy is biased against them. Ward was very unprofessional.

As for Neilly. I actually like him as a commentator. He is pro Ulster but theres nothing wrong with a BBC NI commentator being pro Ulster.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

dropkick wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:

I thought the whinging Kiwi, Andy Ward, was a bit out of order last night when talking about the ref at half time. Basically claiming Clancy is biased against Ulster. Funny thing is Connacht supporters think Clancy is biased against them. Ward was very unprofessional.

As for Neilly. I actually like him as a commentator. He is pro Ulster but theres nothing wrong with a BBC NI commentator being pro Ulster.
Couldn't agree more.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

cormac wrote:
Franno was never on RTE, they'd already filled out their quota of bloviating buffoons with McGuirk and Hook.
That is brilliant :lol:
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

neiliog93 wrote: Not trying to have a go here, but I don't think you can compare RTÉ rugby coverage with BBC NI in terms of bias levels, and having a 'targeted audience' isn't really an excuse.
Why isn't having a targeted audience an excuse? RTÉ clearly favour Ireland in the Six Nations. Ryle's roaring of "Tommy Boooooowe" etc is most definitely biased.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Laighin Break wrote:
neiliog93 wrote: Not trying to have a go here, but I don't think you can compare RTÉ rugby coverage with BBC NI in terms of bias levels, and having a 'targeted audience' isn't really an excuse.
Why isn't having a targeted audience an excuse? RTÉ clearly favour Ireland in the Six Nations. Ryle's roaring of "Tommy Boooooowe" etc is most definitely biased.
Yelling 'Tommmy Boowee' is different to letting the bias affect your analysis though.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Its Tomleee Booooooowe
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Frankie Sheehan on Against The Head. Brings everything back to Munster players. Credited Sexton's performance one time with him having to step up his game because Keatley had been playing so well.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

neiliog93 wrote:
Laighin Break wrote:
Yelling 'Tommmy Boowee' is different to letting the bias affect your analysis though.
plus Ryle is head of RTE sport
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
bonzo
Learner

Post by bonzo »

simonokeeffe wrote: plus Ryle is head of RTE sport
Genuine question: I've always wondered did Ryle Nugent just appoint himself as The Rugby Commentator simply because he could due to his administrative position in RTÉ?

It's a little mentioned disgrace if so.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

bonzo wrote:
Genuine question: I've always wondered did Ryle Nugent just appoint himself as The Rugby Commentator simply because he could due to his administrative position in RTÉ?

Yes
Or
His subordinates appointed their boss, technically maybe Wes Liddy appointed him

Tbf Ryle did a stellar job filling in on the Den back in the day
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

bonzo wrote:

No, one of the Cogleys was head of sport when he started commentating on rugby.
I have Bumbleflex
bonzo
Learner

Post by bonzo »

Dave Cahill wrote:
bonzo wrote:

No, one of the Cogleys was head of sport when he started commentating on rugby.
Cogleys... As in uncle Fred? Previous rte rugby commentator in chief? How long has this been going on??
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

No, actually his son.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Ruckedtobits wrote:No, actually his son.
didnt he set up Setanta?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Ruckedtobits wrote:No, actually his son.
Both Cogleys were Head of Sport at RTE - I think Ryle started in the sports department under Cogley Pater?
I have Bumbleflex