Moderator: moderators

Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Re: Robbie Henshaw - Best IQ signing?

Post by Flash Gordon »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: August 25th, 2022, 11:23 am
Flash Gordon wrote: August 25th, 2022, 10:28 am
Oldschoolsocks wrote: August 24th, 2022, 5:12 pm

The reason Deano and Campbell got picked ahead of Ward is because they were better.
There was more to it than that. Ward had started for the Lions in the season before Dean came in for Ireland. He'd been man of the match 3 times n the 1979 season. However, the IRFU and Noel Murphy in particular didn't like him - even to the extent that when he won the Rugby Writers Player of the Year they forbid him from accepting the award. The guy was phenomenally talented and a brilliant all round athlete (think he's the only Irish sportsman to win championships in Soccer and Rugby) - the media picked up on that plus the fact that he was a good looking lad. That's not to take anything away from Campbell and Dean who were fantastic players who we'd kill to have available today.
I get it, he had talent to burn. He just wasn't as good as Deano or Ollie. Theres a list of teams who performed better after these superstars were dropped. On that list are the Irish rugby team after Tony Ward was dropped and the Irish soccer team after Liam Brady was dropped.

Talent is only one trait. The ability to get on with your team mates and play to a game plan are just as if not more important…
Wardy got on with his team mates just fine. Ollie Campbell, his big rival, was and is a very close friend. The issue was the blazers and Noel Murphy - the banning him from receiving the Rugby Writers award was a case in point, petty, controlling and just plain nasty. If you've every met Tony Ward, he's the furthest thing from arrogant or individualistic. These were same people who held Ireland back for years and when they finally got a modernizing coach who significantly improved Ireland did for him because he didn't doff the cap. Again, that takes nothing away from Dean or Campbell who were fantastic players.

That Ireland soccer team just before Charlton came in was robbed of qualification by what I think were corrupt officials. Brady did it in Serie A which was the best league in the world at the time, and in England. No he didn't fit the Charlton game plan but that doesn't mean he was a "passenger", he's without doubt one of Ireland's greatest every soccer players with the track record to prove it.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Flash Gordon wrote: August 25th, 2022, 12:44 pm
... If you've every met Tony Ward, he's the furthest thing from arrogant or individualistic.
Emmm - If you ever need an hour or two filled at a club function, he is happy to talk about the life, times and genius of T. Ward for quite a while.
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

The Doc wrote: August 25th, 2022, 12:52 pm
... If you've every met Tony Ward, he's the furthest thing from arrogant or individualistic.
Emmm - If you ever need an hour or two filled at a club function, he is happy to talk about the life, times and genius of T. Ward for quite a while.
Not sure what you want Tony Ward as a guest speaker who's a guest speaker because he played for the Lions, Munster and Ireland to talk about. I've seen him at various functions talk about schools rugby (about which he knows a lot) and on the current (at the time) national team. Speakers speak to the brief they are given in my experience. Generally clubs, schools etc bring in guest speakers to talk about their own experiences. I've had him in for a number of engagements and I'd also say he didn't charge a fee. Same goes for Campbell by the way, when I coached minis he was always available for kids events.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

There was more to it than that. Ward had started for the Lions in the season before Dean came in for Ireland. He'd been man of the match 3 times n the 1979 season. However, the IRFU and Noel Murphy in particular didn't like him - even to the extent that when he won the Rugby Writers Player of the Year they forbid him from accepting the award. The guy was phenomenally talented and a brilliant all round athlete (think he's the only Irish sportsman to win championships in Soccer and Rugby) - the media picked up on that plus the fact that he was a good looking lad. That's not to take anything away from Campbell and Dean who were fantastic players who we'd kill to have available today.
I get it, he had talent to burn. He just wasn't as good as Deano or Ollie. Theres a list of teams who performed better after these superstars were dropped. On that list are the Irish rugby team after Tony Ward was dropped and the Irish soccer team after Liam Brady was dropped.

Talent is only one trait. The ability to get on with your team mates and play to a game plan are just as if not more important…
Wardy got on with his team mates just fine. Ollie Campbell, his big rival, was and is a very close friend. The issue was the blazers and Noel Murphy - the banning him from receiving the Rugby Writers award was a case in point, petty, controlling and just plain nasty. If you've every met Tony Ward, he's the furthest thing from arrogant or individualistic. These were same people who held Ireland back for years and when they finally got a modernizing coach who significantly improved Ireland did for him because he didn't doff the cap. Again, that takes nothing away from Dean or Campbell who were fantastic players.

That Ireland soccer team just before Charlton came in was robbed of qualification by what I think were corrupt officials. Brady did it in Serie A which was the best league in the world at the time, and in England. No he didn't fit the Charlton game plan but that doesn't mean he was a "passenger", he's without doubt one of Ireland's greatest every soccer players with the track record to prove it.
Brady was good in Italy where he didn’t have to work. The very definition of a passenger.

I don’t know Tiny Ward personally, but those who I know that know him fall into two groups. Those who think he’s OK and those who don’t think he’s OK, the ones who don’t think he’s are OK are in the majority and most have played with him. So there’s that.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Brady was good in Italy where he didn’t have to work. The very definition of a passenger.

I don’t know Tiny Ward personally, but those who I know that know him fall into two groups. Those who think he’s OK and those who don’t think he’s OK, the ones who don’t think he’s are OK are in the majority and most have played with him. So there’s that.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Flash Gordon wrote: August 25th, 2022, 1:02 pmNot sure what you want Tony Ward as a guest speaker who's a guest speaker because he played for the Lions, Munster and Ireland to talk about. I've seen him at various functions talk about schools rugby (about which he knows a lot) and on the current (at the time) national team. Speakers speak to the brief they are given in my experience. Generally clubs, schools etc bring in guest speakers to talk about their own experiences. I've had him in for a number of engagements and I'd also say he didn't charge a fee. Same goes for Campbell by the way, when I coached minis he was always available for kids events.
My sister had quite a few dealings with Ollie in Old Belvo - said he was one of the nicest and most genuine people she has ever met.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Ollie is one of the greatest gentleman this island has produced. When we were making the History of Leinster Rugby he wasn't in the best of health, so we kind of didn't want to put him out - he really insisted on being put out! A lovely, lovely guy
I have Bumbleflex
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Dave Cahill wrote: August 25th, 2022, 5:47 pm Ollie is one of the greatest gentleman this island has produced. When we were making the History of Leinster Rugby he wasn't in the best of health, so we kind of didn't want to put him out - he really insisted on being put out! A lovely, lovely guy
He's an absolute legend.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

He was so far the best of his generation. Modest to a fault but a wonderful team-mate and an opponent who could torture you.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Ollie was six or seven years ahead of me in Belvo. I knew his younger brother Michael a bit. We all, understandably, worshipped the ground he walked on for winning the two Senior Cups and only narrowly missing the triple, but such a self-effacing person, you're hardly ever to meet. Later when I played a bit for OBRFC and he was an Irish international and star of world rugby he was still the friendliest and most helpful of people, with no airs in the slightest. Plus the hours he would spend doing kicking practice on his own in Anglesea Road - unbelievable. It's no wonder they named the place after him. Fully deserved.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Morf wrote: August 25th, 2022, 5:35 pm
Flash Gordon wrote: August 25th, 2022, 1:02 pmNot sure what you want Tony Ward as a guest speaker who's a guest speaker because he played for the Lions, Munster and Ireland to talk about. I've seen him at various functions talk about schools rugby (about which he knows a lot) and on the current (at the time) national team. Speakers speak to the brief they are given in my experience. Generally clubs, schools etc bring in guest speakers to talk about their own experiences. I've had him in for a number of engagements and I'd also say he didn't charge a fee. Same goes for Campbell by the way, when I coached minis he was always available for kids events.
My sister had quite a few dealings with Ollie in Old Belvo - said he was one of the nicest and most genuine people she has ever met.
He certainly is. I coached minis and he was always available for Sunday mornings whenever needed for support or prize givings. He arranged tours of the Aviva and was absolutely brilliant with the kids. Absolute class act.....and a fairly decent rugby player too!
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

I mean he's hired to speak for a very specific reason...

Would you rather he spoke about the weather?
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

arsebiscuits1 wrote: August 26th, 2022, 2:17 pm

He could probably do that as well.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:

At the event he was asked to give a 30 min post lunch talk about the club which morphed into an hour about his career and how he was treated badly... Which meant the alikadoos missed the kickoff of the game Image

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

The Doc wrote: August 26th, 2022, 11:16 pm
arsebiscuits1 wrote:

At the event he was asked to give a 30 min post lunch talk about the club which morphed into an hour about his career and how he was treated badly... Which meant the alikadoos missed the kickoff of the game Image

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk
So you didn't have the crusties usually farcical commentry from the side lines for a bit? Sounds like a win to me!
Anyone But New Zealand