New contracts for coaching ticket

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: New contracts for coaching ticket

Post by ronk »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: January 16th, 2023, 5:13 pm Remind me. Did Gibbs join Ulster as head coach and then leave for family reasons which turned pit to be a different contract in France?

What happened there?
His family wanted him to get out before the dumpster fire really got going.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Apart from the fact that I don’t think we would have wanted a coach like Gibbes, and the fact he is damaged goods in the eyes of the IRFU, and the fact he has presided over a pretty steady regression in one of France’s top clubs…

If what I heard is true, we have already concluded the recruitment procedure. So we are unlikely to have interviewed someone who just got fired.

As to possible internal candidates (second on the list), we’re talking Goodman, McBryde, SOB…J10. Hard to see it being any of them, but Goodman maybe the least unlikely.

From what I was told, we offered it to the top external candidate but they have not yet accepted.
Of external candidates, I’d always be thinking of candidates from the NZ clubs to which we have links. That gives you candidates like Robertson (unlikely), McDonald, Umaga, Scott Hansen, Blackadder…Isa…

Anyone know anything about Hansen*? Seems exactly the type of profile we go for.

When are these things normally announced?

* I see he was probably the one responsible for Japan humiliating Ireland at the 2019 World Cup.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

Will Leo go for another 1 year contract extension? Is it too early for Noel McNamara? He's definitely building a very credible CV and has lots of IRFU support and backing (including Nucifora) cutting his teeth (haha) with the Sharks, having been sent on a training stint to NZ, Irl U20s etc. Would have great knowledge obviously from his time with the academy. I wouldn't touch any of Rennie, Pivac, Gibbes.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

We more than any team should be wary of assuming that a once highly rated coaches last role going badly defines them.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

wixfjord wrote: January 16th, 2023, 8:28 pm We more than any team should be wary of assuming that a once highly rated coaches last role going badly defines them.
Lancaster turned a badly run team into a good team, got loads of good results and lost 2 games at his first RWC, but had to be sacked because they were the hosts. He didn't suddenly become a bad coach. Winning the Wales game probably gets them through easily.

The others managed and couldn't turn around declines. It goes both ways.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

desperado wrote: January 16th, 2023, 8:23 pm Will Leo go for another 1 year contract extension? Is it too early for Noel McNamara? He's definitely building a very credible CV and has lots of IRFU support and backing (including Nucifora) cutting his teeth (haha) with the Sharks, having been sent on a training stint to NZ, Irl U20s etc. Would have great knowledge obviously from his time with the academy. I wouldn't touch any of Rennie, Pivac, Gibbes.
I forgot McNamara. He must be the internal candidate.

Doesn’t clear up the external candidate though. But I would be very surprised if it were any of the three you mention.

I really think Gibbes is a total red herring, for all the reasons mentioned above.

In addition to the four reasons, there’s also the fact he was essentially ousted by ROG at LAR. And that relationship totally broke down. And ROG brought LAR forward.

Gibbes was excellent for us. But a lot has happened since. And the jury is still out on whether he is a good head coach.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

ronk wrote: January 16th, 2023, 8:43 pm
wixfjord wrote: January 16th, 2023, 8:28 pm We more than any team should be wary of assuming that a once highly rated coaches last role going badly defines them.
Lancaster turned a badly run team into a good team, got loads of good results and lost 2 games at his first RWC, but had to be sacked because they were the hosts. He didn't suddenly become a bad coach. Winning the Wales game probably gets them through easily.

The others managed and couldn't turn around declines. It goes both ways.
Lots of less favourable ways of looking at Lancaster’s tenure.

The point is just because a once highly rated coach didn’t go well in a tough job doesn’t necessarily make them a bad coach.

And in different contexts, different coaches can have dramatically different outcomes.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

curates_egg wrote: January 16th, 2023, 6:14 pm Apart from the fact that I don’t think we would have wanted a coach like Gibbes, and the fact he is damaged goods in the eyes of the IRFU, and the fact he has presided over a pretty steady regression in one of France’s top clubs…

If what I heard is true, we have already concluded the recruitment procedure. So we are unlikely to have interviewed someone who just got fired.

As to possible internal candidates (second on the list), we’re talking Goodman, McBryde, SOB…J10. Hard to see it being any of them, but Goodman maybe the least unlikely.

From what I was told, we offered it to the top external candidate but they have not yet accepted.
Of external candidates, I’d always be thinking of candidates from the NZ clubs to which we have links. That gives you candidates like Robertson (unlikely), McDonald, Umaga, Scott Hansen, Blackadder…Isa…

Anyone know anything about Hansen*? Seems exactly the type of profile we go for.

* I see he was probably the one responsible for Japan humiliating Ireland at the 2019 World Cup.
Tony Brown would be an amazing signing but possibly too much overlap with Goodman.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Morf wrote: January 17th, 2023, 5:19 am
curates_egg wrote: January 16th, 2023, 6:14 pm Apart from the fact that I don’t think we would have wanted a coach like Gibbes, and the fact he is damaged goods in the eyes of the IRFU, and the fact he has presided over a pretty steady regression in one of France’s top clubs…

Tony Brown would be an amazing signing but possibly too much overlap with Goodman.
He's been mentioned before for us. I think both the last two times?
If I understand correctly, his contract with Highlanders ends in September?
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

curates_egg wrote: January 17th, 2023, 8:21 amHe's been mentioned before for us. I think both the last two times?
If I understand correctly, his contract with Highlanders ends in September?
He does seem to go hand in glove with Jamie Joseph too.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... two-years/

Even allowing for the 2 years at Leicester he will be here a quarter of a century
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

johng wrote: January 25th, 2023, 7:32 am https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... two-years/

Even allowing for the 2 years at Leicester he will be here a quarter of a century
Great news.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

johng wrote: January 25th, 2023, 7:32 am https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... two-years/

Beyond Cullen staying on, which is great news, this sort of backs up what I posted above about what I heard.
It seems like the external candidate said no, so Goodman will step up to a more senior role as head coach or something, with Lancaster going.
I know he is very highly rated, and we are playing good stuff, but some people might be disappointed.

Of course, this is Thornley reporting, and not confirmed. But, still, it seems like he has similar information.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Great news all round. Goodman has clearly had a major impact and is highly rated. Would imagine he'll then step into Lancaster's role with another assistant coach coming in. Will be interesting to see what that new coach is focused on.

There was talk of Leo moving into a Nucifora role post RWC which would've suited him imo, but brilliant to have that continuity.

I wonder are we talking to Dave Rennie about a return to the NH given the relationship Leo has with him. Might be a bit too senior to fit the profile albeit.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Rennie is going to Japan by all accounts.

Sounds like they'll try to bring in a defence coach, wish they'd bring in a scrum specific coach.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

mildlyinterested wrote: January 25th, 2023, 9:03 am Rennie is going to Japan by all accounts.

Sounds like they'll try to bring in a defence coach, wish they'd bring in a scrum specific coach.
Our defence is very good - apart from mauls. I guess that is down to Lancaster?

The article mentions SOB also stepping up. Could he become the defensive coach?

What about Benson Stanley, who was with Gibbes at Clermont? Don't know much about him, but he has the Blues/Auckland link.
In terms of blasts from the past, Mike Ford is a semi-free agent: he just got appointed to be head coach of the national side here in Belgium, but it's a part-time job.
Last edited by curates_egg on January 25th, 2023, 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Lancaster is defence coach, so they'll need to replace that role. I'd be worried if it was SOB, he only started coaching full time this season.

Sounds Goodman will take overall attack that Lancaster does now.

I'd run a mile from Ford.
Last edited by mildlyinterested on January 25th, 2023, 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

curates_egg wrote: January 25th, 2023, 9:32 am
mildlyinterested wrote: January 25th, 2023, 9:03 am Rennie is going to Japan by all accounts.

Our defence is very good - apart from mauls. I guess that is down to Lancaster?

The article mentions SOB also stepping up. Could he become the defensive coach?

What about Benson Stanley, who was with Gibbes at Clermont? Don't know much about him, but he has the Blues/Auckland link.
In terms of blasts from the past, Mike Ford is a semi-free agent: he just got appointed to be head coach of the national side here in Belgium, but it's a part-time job.
I think he's found his level
I have Bumbleflex
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I don't think Mike Ford would fit in with the 'egoless' culture of our coaching team...

Another name that has been mentioned is Leon MacDonald who has experience working with Goodman.

Would on paper be a bit of a step down for him to go from Head Coach of Blues albeit.

Jared Payne would be another we could look at, depending on how the interim Clermont gig goes for him. Would fit defensive coach slot also.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

I mentioned MacDonald. But I pulled it out of my arse, based on potential availability, rather than based on any information.
Also, I mentioned him in the context of the head coach role.
Would he really come for such a 'junior' role?

Payne could be a good call. Urios has already been appointed as head coach of Clermont, so I guess that means Payne's role was very interim?
Gibbes brought Payne to Clermont, so you would wonder will he stay as defence coach.