2nd Row going forward

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Re: 2nd Row going forward

Post by LeinsterLeader »

ronk wrote: January 19th, 2022, 6:54 pm Cullen normally does his homework before signings so he deserves trust. But we're talking about a privately funded van Graan signing who Munster aren't extending. Every alarm bell is screaming.

Last time we made a signing I had reservations about (but trusted) was Tomane. He wasn't a disaster or anything, he wasn't a success either.

Munster fans are way too happy to be losing a supposedly good player and I can't shake the suspicion that Nucifora is pushing us to sign him.
The Munster guys I work with are happy alright but it has nothing to do with the quality of the player. They feel Leinster fans gave it to Munster when they signed Jenkins as it was perceived he was blocking young Munster locks. Now they feel the boots on the other foot.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

LeinsterLeader wrote: January 19th, 2022, 7:10 pm
ronk wrote: January 19th, 2022, 6:54 pm Cullen normally does his homework before signings so he deserves trust. But we're talking about a privately funded van Graan signing who Munster aren't extending. Every alarm bell is screaming.

Last time we made a signing I had reservations about (but trusted) was Tomane. He wasn't a disaster or anything, he wasn't a success either.

Munster fans are way too happy to be losing a supposedly good player and I can't shake the suspicion that Nucifora is pushing us to sign him.
The Munster guys I work with are happy alright but it has nothing to do with the quality of the player. They feel Leinster fans gave it to Munster when they signed Jenkins as it was perceived he was blocking young Munster locks. Now they feel the boots on the other foot.
Jenkins isn't blocking anyone though? Has anyone actually seen this guy play? He must have some quality in order to get even one cap in the 2nd row in this day and age.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Serb
Mullet

2nd Row going forward

Post by Serb »

This has been rumoured for a couple of weeks now so not surprised to hear it confirmed, but can’t help but feel a little underwhelmed. His size is about right for what we’re looking for, and he will strengthen the 23 if not the first 15, but he’s only managed 15 minutes of rugby this season, and didn’t arrive in Ireland with a particularly big reputation, so he’s a bit of an unknown quantity for me.

Feels like we’re still a bit short in this area if we are going to be losing three locks at the end of the season. Depth is something like:

James Ryan
Ryan Baird
Ross Moloney
Jason Jenkins
Josh Murphy

Alex Soroka
Brian Deeny
Joe McCarthy

Murphy and Soroka are more blindsides than no. 4 locks. Jenkins has had his fair share of injuries this season at least. Ryan has not had a good time with injuries and concussions in the past couple of years.

You really want a minimum of five senior locks in your squad (Connacht have 5, Ulster have 7, Munster have 6). We will arguably have 4 depending on how we view Murphy.
Last edited by Serb on January 19th, 2022, 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

carlow man wrote: January 19th, 2022, 7:05 pm
Atlas wrote: January 19th, 2022, 6:57 pm
Ruckedtobits wrote:Only Sam Whitelock AFAIK. Some sources say at least five agents were approached with what Nucifora would allow us offer and all said NO.
I suppose the question is, do we/IRFU have big money to make a big signing after the last few COVID years.... probably not
But munster who haven't a pot to pee in are able to resign snyman and get fekitoa? Ulster signing vermulan? We still haven't replaced fardy!! There us money there, leinster just won't spend it.
Yes. So Munster don't want him (despite being happy paying more for a guy who's missed almost 2 seasons), Nucifora is blocking them from signing him (which would lead to open war between Munster fans and Nucifora) or the player wants to move (away from his Bulls 2nd row partner).

Jenkins was a privately funded signing after Nucifora blocked du Toit and coming on a one year contract was a signal that someone had reservations initially.
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

I don’t know if we can read much into his initial one year contract. He put Munster at three privately funded players in the squad, which is an awful lot of backing from third parties. I’d say it’s more likely they couldn’t get funding for more than one year.
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

It's a good signing as far as I'm concerned.

When we signed Michael A and Munster signed jenkins I remember thinking at the time they should have been swapped.

Wrt replacing toner, Ryan and dunne, we only need to replace their minutes... and how many minutes do they have combined this season? Not many

If we had signed the guy directly from Japan or SA I think people's reaction would have been very different. But bare in mind players always look better playing for Leinster than for Munster.... because we are a better team.

Welcome Jason!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

ChrisUppy wrote: January 19th, 2022, 7:30 pm It's a good signing as far as I'm concerned.

When we signed Michael A and Munster signed jenkins I remember thinking at the time they should have been swapped.

Wrt replacing toner, Ryan and dunne, we only need to replace their minutes... and how many minutes do they have combined this season? Not many

If we had signed the guy directly from Japan or SA I think people's reaction would have been very different. But bare in mind players always look better playing for Leinster than for Munster.... because we are a better team.

Welcome Jason!
That's the key point.

Or if this was a guy with a vaguely Islander sounding name from the North Island who had played 50 games for the Auckland Blues and had that size profile and background we'd all be excited.

The fact he's coming from Munster and in this scenario he's already being written off or complained about.

Which is totally unfair and says more about the posters doing it than the player.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Given the circumstances I was really expecting an Etzebeth type signing :lol:
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

They main point isn't the posters moaning about Jenkins from munster. They are moaning because we hoped for a proven world class lock which we need. We have come unstuck in Europe because of this. Unfortunately we won't spend the money on one so we ended up with Jenkins.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

wixfjord wrote: January 19th, 2022, 7:31 pm
ChrisUppy wrote: January 19th, 2022, 7:30 pm It's a good signing as far as I'm concerned.

Welcome Jason!
That's the key point.

Or if this was a guy with a vaguely Islander sounding name from the North Island who had played 50 games for the Auckland Blues and had that size profile and background we'd all be excited.

The fact he's coming from Munster and in this scenario he's already being written off or complained about.

Which is totally unfair and says more about the posters doing it than the player.
1Steven Sykes

2 He's been released by Munster

3 He plays the wrong side of the scrum

4 Injuries

5 Munster signed him to play a different system and they knew him.

6 van Graan isn't bringing him to Bath

7 Munster/Nucifora are off the hook for their recruitment policy, they can sign everyone they like and ignore developing players.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

ronk wrote: January 19th, 2022, 7:51 pm
wixfjord wrote: January 19th, 2022, 7:31 pm

Welcome Jason!
That's the key point.

1Steven Sykes

2 He's been released by Munster

3 He plays the wrong side of the scrum

4 Injuries

5 Munster signed him to play a different system and they knew him.

6 van Graan isn't bringing him to Bath

7 Munster/Nucifora are off the hook for their recruitment policy, they can sign everyone they like and ignore developing players.
Sykes has nothing to do with it.

He was only ever on a 1 year deal at Munster, they didnt have the option to retain him once RG re-signed.

I'm sure he can play TH lock at his size.

Its a concern, but its better than RG.

Munster signed him to be a power lock, which is what we need.

Nothing to do with Jenkins signing for Leinster.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Sykes didn't work out. Super Rugby locks aren't guaranteed, especially if they've never played European clubs or international sides.

If they backed him they'd have found a way.

Hopefully he can play the position isn't good enough.

If we have concerns we should express them. It's easier to be patient with a RWC winner star. Coetzee and du Toit came back strong so there's form.

Munster didn't look to have much of a coherent plan when they signed him.

The signing wouldn't stand on its own. There are long term consequences for Leinster and Irish rugby beyond the value of his contract and a missed chance.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

ronk wrote: January 19th, 2022, 8:16 pm Sykes didn't work out. Super Rugby locks aren't guaranteed, especially if they've never played European clubs or international sides.

If they backed him they'd have found a way.

Hopefully he can play the position isn't good enough.

If we have concerns we should express them. It's easier to be patient with a RWC winner star. Coetzee and du Toit came back strong so there's form.

Munster didn't look to have much of a coherent plan when they signed him.

The signing wouldn't stand on its own. There are long term consequences for Leinster and Irish rugby beyond the value of his contract and a missed chance.
Those being?

Leinster went looking to sign Jenkins, they weren't forced to sign him by the IRFU.

No one is saying its a great signing, but on paper he fills a need, hopefully he can stay healthy and fill that need.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Not convinced. As I said on the other thread, our record with younger vaunted second row signings is definitely not good. I can't think of one that actually worked out.
When we have won in Europe, we always had a grunt forward with experience in 4-8.

He's also clearly not the best South African second row at Munster, and maybe not even in the top two. Does not seem like a great signing. Explains why Dunne is leaving. Would be a shame if we lost Dunne, and he's another Sykes or Douglas though.
Last edited by curates_egg on January 19th, 2022, 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Many Munster and Ireland fans were weary of Munster's player development performance and resistance was growing to the policy. A productive Munster academy is needed both for Munster to become financially sustainable and for Ireland to play to its potential.

Many Munster fans are over the moon because they know that it might have been hard to keep signing players as pressure rose. Jenkins is a game changer.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

The Ahern lad would've made a ton more sense for us.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Perhaps the Dunne lad would have too.

I hope Jenkins doesn't turn out to be a Douglas and Dunne doesn't turn out to be a Beirne.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

deco wrote: January 19th, 2022, 9:11 pm The Ahern lad would've made a ton more sense for us.
Not if we are looking a powerful TH lock, not to mention he isnt out of contract and the irfu have no interest in moving talent to leinster.
Last edited by mildlyinterested on January 19th, 2022, 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

curates_egg wrote: January 19th, 2022, 9:14 pm Perhaps the Dunne lad would have too.

I hope Jenkins doesn't turn out to be a Douglas and Dunne doesn't turn out to be a Beirne.
Id have prefered if the coaches rated Dunne but they dont appear to. Hopefully the relationship hasnt soured and if he succeeds in exeter he is open to a return in a year or two, maybe to replace JJ