A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: 2nd Row going forward

Post by mildlyinterested »

ronk wrote: November 23rd, 2021, 9:02 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: November 23rd, 2021, 8:05 pm
ronk wrote: November 23rd, 2021, 7:53 pm Depends on if bigger is always better.
physics still apply in a collision sport, Molony/Ryan is an undersized and under-powered lock pairing when it comes to the elite end of european rugby, the power in the front and backrow may allow leinster to overcome this issue but it still would be an issue leinster would be working around.

a lot harder to keep the ball alive if you aren't getting go forward ball from the pack.

I think it's quite clear that leinster are on the look out for a big powerful lock for this very reason.
Physics also says you should move the big lump around rather than go through him. With options to vary the point of attack you can get mismatches after a few phases.
easier said than done... but we will see how it does this season as it's unlikely a tighthead lock will be signed for this season, so leinster will have to work around the lack of power at lock if they are going to win in europe, can they do that? not recently..
Last edited by mildlyinterested on November 23rd, 2021, 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: November 23rd, 2021, 8:03 pm
I mentioned the back row.
You did. I meant to make a slightly different point about Baird being able to play there.
brotheroffrank
Knowledgeable

Post by brotheroffrank »

ronk wrote: November 23rd, 2021, 7:53 pm Depends on if bigger is always better.
physics still apply in a collision sport, Molony/Ryan is an undersized and under-powered lock pairing when it comes to the elite end of european rugby, the power in the front and backrow may allow leinster to overcome this issue but it still would be an issue leinster would be working around.

a lot harder to keep the ball alive if you aren't getting go forward ball from the pack.

I think it's quite clear that leinster are on the look out for a big powerful lock for this very reason.
Physics also says you should move the big lump around rather than go through him. With options to vary the point of attack you can get mismatches after a few phases.
Physics? Do we expect our second rows to be piano pushers or Naughton Scholars? A Theoretical Physicist already packs down beside a Computer Scientist in the Leinster Scrum. There is a theory in physics which suggests the future has already happened (www.bbc.com/reel/video/p04s223f/physics ... y-happened) so step forward again Big Mal!
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

fourthirtythree wrote: November 23rd, 2021, 7:34 pm Game has changed. La Rochelle have struggled with their kick ball always plan.

We didn't really play anyone this AI series dead set on stopping the ball in play time but the world has changed and the previous two years are no longer a good guide.

Don't fight the last war, prepare for the next one.
Yeah, and sometimes you lose away in France and others your scrum gets a once in a decade shaming at home. It feels like we've developed a narrative about our team from 2 games.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Ages as the start of next season:

Devin Toner(36)
Ross Molony(28)
Josh Murphy(27)
James Ryan(26)
Jack Dunne(23)
Ryan Baird(23)
--
Charlie Ryan(23)
Brian Deeny(22)
Joe McCarthy(21)
Alex Soroka(21)
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

If Toner and Dunne leave, Leinsters depth chart will start looking very light on size and experience...
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

brotheroffrank wrote: November 23rd, 2021, 9:44 pm

Physics? Do we expect our second rows to be piano pushers or Naughton Scholars? A Theoretical Physicist already packs down beside a Computer Scientist in the Leinster Scrum. There is a theory in physics which suggests the future has already happened (www.bbc.com/reel/video/p04s223f/physics ... y-happened) so step forward again Big Mal!
Yes if you believe that there are an infinite number of futures and pasts so that all eventualities are covered.
However.
A. Infinite is an indefinite number.
B. How do you determine which future applies.
So why the future may already be predetermined you are still no closer to knowing what it is.
Quantum Theory has another name Uncertainty Principle
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Second row looked pretty solid today. Scrum was really good.

Would be interested to see how Josh M goes a few more times at second row. Could be a very useful option.
lotmc
Learner

Post by lotmc »

mildlyinterested wrote: January 16th, 2022, 3:46 pm Ages as the start of next season:

Devin Toner(36)
Ross Molony(28)
Josh Murphy(27)
James Ryan(26)
Jack Dunne(23)
Ryan Baird(23)
--
Charlie Ryan(23)
Brian Deeny(22)
Joe McCarthy(21)
Alex Soroka(21)

Looks like you can take Jack Dunne off that list from the start of next season - reportedly going to Exeter

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 45462.html
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

lotmc wrote: January 16th, 2022, 5:31 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: January 16th, 2022, 3:46 pm Ages as the start of next season:

Devin Toner(36)
Ross Molony(28)
Josh Murphy(27)
James Ryan(26)
Jack Dunne(23)
Ryan Baird(23)
--
Charlie Ryan(23)
Brian Deeny(22)
Joe McCarthy(21)
Alex Soroka(21)

Looks like you can take Jack Dunne off that list from the start of next season - reportedly going to Exeter

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 45462.html
"The 21-year-old former Ireland U-20 international"
:roll:
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

So it sounds like he knew a second row was coming in and having already had no game time he decided to move and play? Can’t blame him.

I think Dev’s contract this season might have cost him and on balance I’m not sure that was a wise decision. But if he develops with Exeter during the same time that we have a ready made quality international to play for us then it could work out really well overall.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: January 16th, 2022, 6:47 pm So it sounds like he knew a second row was coming in and having already had no game time he decided to move and play? Can’t blame him.

I think Dev’s contract this season might have cost him and on balance I’m not sure that was a wise decision. But if he develops with Exeter during the same time that we have a ready made quality international to play for us then it could work out really well overall.
Was thinking that meself. 2 Years under Rob Baxter getting experience. Entice him back with the lure of playing for Ireland (assuming he doesn't jump to England first). Jobs a good 'un!

Not the ideal way you would have wanted it to go but not a bad conciliation prize
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

This may well have nothing to do with it, but Exeter University is renowned for its astrophysics research school
I have Bumbleflex
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

20-year-old Jack Dunne off the bench for Leinster vs. Benetton in 2019:

44 minutes
28 tackles
1 lineout steal
2 lineout wins
1 breakdown turnover pen
3 carries

nearly 3 years later and...
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

mildlyinterested wrote: January 16th, 2022, 9:51 pm 20-year-old Jack Dunne off the bench for Leinster vs. Benetton in 2019:

44 minutes
28 tackles
1 lineout steal
2 lineout wins
1 breakdown turnover pen
3 carries

It's a mystery - to me, at any rate....
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: January 16th, 2022, 6:47 pm So it sounds like he knew a second row was coming in and having already had no game time he decided to move and play? Can’t blame him.

Jonny Hill off to Sale and Sam Skinner to Embra so there's a clear opening there for him
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

riocard911 wrote: January 16th, 2022, 10:00 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: January 16th, 2022, 9:51 pm 20-year-old Jack Dunne off the bench for Leinster vs. Benetton in 2019:

44 minutes
28 tackles
1 lineout steal
2 lineout wins
1 breakdown turnover pen
3 carries

It's a mystery - to me, at any rate....
He bulked up and got injured a fair bit. Took a while to adapt and needed a bigger run of games in pandemic shortened seasons.

The problem with bulking like that is at first you're a less effective player, more direct collisions lead to more injuries, you risk losing what you were best at and the smaller guys are usually favoured for all but the big power games. For those games you don't have enough form/experience so you don't get picked. It's a vicious circle.

You have a big mobile lad who was able to play that way. We should have been happy with that rather than thinking that he was our biggest lock and we should turn him into something different.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Should be interesting to see what sort of names we come up with for a NIQ second row signing. Not a huge amount of really top class options out there given the RWC cycle is closing in you'd imagine.

The Premiership might be a good hunting ground if teams are looking to reduce the salary cap. Vaea Fifita already gone to Scarlets.

In term of proper 6'7 / 19 stone sized TH locks with a good profile:

De Jager would obviously be a great option. Not sure his contract status.

Another might be David Ribbans from Saints. Not as high profile but a serious operator, 26, right size profile and hasn't been capped

In Japen, you've the likes of Tuipolotu who's on sabbatical so likely not an option, and Mostert who might be.

In France Rory Arnold from Toulouse fits the bill and Janse Van Rensburg of Montpellier has the size and age profile.

Ezebeth again would be a dream option but no idea of his status.

Or there's a big ex Wallaby lock at Bordeaux who seems good. Kane Douglas I think his name is...
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

wixfjord wrote: January 17th, 2022, 9:28 am Should be interesting to see what sort of names we come up with for a NIQ second row signing. Not a huge amount of really top class options out there given the RWC cycle is closing in you'd imagine.

The Premiership might be a good hunting ground if teams are looking to reduce the salary cap. Vaea Fifita already gone to Scarlets.

Another might be David Ribbans from Saints. Not as high profile but a serious operator, 26, right size profile and hasn't been capped

In Japen, you've the likes of Tuipolotu who's on sabbatical so likely not an option, and Mostert who might be.

In France Rory Arnold from Toulouse fits the bill and Janse Van Rensburg of Montpellier has the size and age profile.

Or there's a big ex Wallaby lock at Bordeaux who seems good. Kane Douglas I think his name is...
Whose the last megastar that Leinster signed? Thorn?
We deserve an Ezebeth.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

blockhead wrote: January 17th, 2022, 9:36 am
wixfjord wrote: January 17th, 2022, 9:28 am Should be interesting to see what sort of names we come up with for a NIQ second row signing. Not a huge amount of really top class options out there given the RWC cycle is closing in you'd imagine.

Whose the last megastar that Leinster signed? Thorn?
We deserve an Ezebeth.
We don't have the cash to sign a guy like Ezebeth. He's on a million quid a year, way beyond what we could afford.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us