Sexton's last season? Outhalf going forward..

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Observingprop123
Mullet

Re: Sexton's last season? Outhalf going forward..

Post by Observingprop123 »

My bets lost Sexton is RB steady the ship for 2 or so years then one of the other couple lads to break out.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

TMC wrote: March 27th, 2023, 2:37 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: March 27th, 2023, 2:16 pm going to find out pretty quickly how the post sexton era might go..
Its not definitive, he wont want to go out like this and will do everything possible to play in blue again this season.
100%. In fact, if anything, Sexton's Slam-incurred injury will give his teammates added motivation to make the dream final(s) happen, in the hope of him making it back in time for the grand send-off(s).

Whether or which, I have total faith in the squad and the coaching staff. If I remember correctly, Felipe going down only minutes into the Heino semi in 2009 vs the then reigning champs was a similar nightmare scenario and we mastered that one pretty damn good!!! :wink: COYBIB!!!!
brotheroffrank
Knowledgeable

Post by brotheroffrank »

TMC wrote: March 27th, 2023, 2:37 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: March 27th, 2023, 2:16 pm going to find out pretty quickly how the post sexton era might go..
Its not definitive, he wont want to go out like this and will do everything possible to play in blue again this season.
Severe grade 3 groin strains, requiring surgical intervention, can take over 4 months to heal; surgery this week and Johnny may only be back to fitness in time for the World Cup warm up matches in August...meantime Ross Byrne gets his chance to cement his place in the RWC Squad as successor to Johnny and the queue to form behind him...
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

This suggests to me that Sexton won't be back before the end of the season.

https://twitter.com/JerseyRedsRugby/sta ... 01313?s=20

That's two days before the URC Final.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Feel like pure sh!t, just want Jonny’s groin back
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Great pity if we don't see hi again in blue but arise Sir Ross to lead the drive for five.

Mind you won't be massively surprised if J10 somehow makes it back jsut in time for a HEC or URC final.

Just gotta hope the surgery goes well. Good luck J10 you absolute ledge bag !!
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

If he doesn't make it back for the end of this season, and he probably won't, I would guess that he might play one more game for Leinster after the world cup before retiring.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

cormac wrote: March 27th, 2023, 3:58 pm This suggests to me that Sexton won't be back before the end of the season.

He would hardly have taken that booking if there was any chance he would play
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

johng wrote: March 27th, 2023, 6:09 pm
cormac wrote: March 27th, 2023, 3:58 pm This suggests to me that Sexton won't be back before the end of the season.

He would hardly have taken that booking if there was any chance he would play
In a nutshell. His brother played for the Jersey Reds and lives and works there now, so the event is more than just a commercial arrangement.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Sexton did phenomenally well to play so much and so well during the Six Nations. If you remember, he first injured his groin in the French match after 47-48 minutes. Having missed the following game against Italy, I'd imagine he was playing hurt against the Scots and the English. He did great.

In terms of stepping into the breach, Ross has already played so many big games for us. We are as well prepared as any team could be in the circumstances.

I'm not sure I can pin the right words on it. Ross is being more Ross – being more confident, more demonstrative, not as bothered with external opinions or factors. He has had some very tough experiences coming off the bench in big games and making mistakes: against France in October 2020 for Ireland and in the last European Cup final. Nobody wants to go through those experiences. I'd say he felt like sh!t, but he got back to work and built himself back up.

I got that impression from a couple of interviews that he did earlier this year, where you could tell he was sort of throwing his eyes up to heaven when he was answering questions about playing 'flat to the line', that he has said to himself: "Whatever, pal. There's always going to be a lad who the journos and the below-the-line commenters want me dropped for. First it was Joey, then it was Harry, now it's Crowley. That used to bother me, now it doesn't. I'm the guy who plays outhalf for Leinster all the time ... and guess what? We win a f*cking sh*tload of games. I know what I can do."
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

hugonaut wrote: March 27th, 2023, 9:35 pm Sexton did phenomenally well to play so much and so well during the Six Nations. If you remember, he first injured his groin in the French match after 47-48 minutes. Having missed the following game against Italy, I'd imagine he was playing hurt against the Scots and the English. He did great.
I hadn't really connected that to this injury, for some odd reason. Cheers.

In a RWC year Sexton won't be rushed back for a URC final. They could risk him for a slam because it's a Slam and there's time to get him back later. He's done for us unless it's less bad than we're hearing.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

CiaranIrl wrote: March 27th, 2023, 6:08 pm If he doesn't make it back for the end of this season, and he probably won't, I would guess that he might play one more game for Leinster after the world cup before retiring.
Don't think he'd want to go out coming on for 20 minutes against the Dragons. Not sure Johnny or the coaches would indulge that level of sentimentality. Would prefer to see him given a send off from Leinster at half time in a derby match at the Aviva.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Flash Gordon wrote: March 28th, 2023, 8:59 am
CiaranIrl wrote: March 27th, 2023, 6:08 pm If he doesn't make it back for the end of this season, and he probably won't, I would guess that he might play one more game for Leinster after the world cup before retiring.

Don't think he'd want to go out coming on for 20 minutes against the Dragons. Not sure Johnny or the coaches would indulge that level of sentimentality. Would prefer to see him given a send off from Leinster at half time in a derby match at the Aviva.

Or do a John Terry! Twice! :lol:
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

hugonaut wrote: March 27th, 2023, 9:35 pm Sexton did phenomenally well to play so much and so well during the Six Nations. If you remember, he first injured his groin in the French match after 47-48 minutes. Having missed the following game against Italy, I'd imagine he was playing hurt against the Scots and the English. He did great.

In terms of stepping into the breach, Ross has already played so many big games for us. We are as well prepared as any team could be in the circumstances.

I'm not sure I can pin the right words on it. Ross is being more Ross – being more confident, more demonstrative, not as bothered with external opinions or factors. He has had some very tough experiences coming off the bench in big games and making mistakes: against France in October 2020 for Ireland and in the last European Cup final. Nobody wants to go through those experiences. I'd say he felt like sh!t, but he got back to work and built himself back up.

I got that impression from a couple of interviews that he did earlier this year, where you could tell he was sort of throwing his eyes up to heaven when he was answering questions about playing 'flat to the line', that he has said to himself: "Whatever, pal. There's always going to be a lad who the journos and the below-the-line commenters want me dropped for. First it was Joey, then it was Harry, now it's Crowley. That used to bother me, now it doesn't. I'm the guy who plays outhalf for Leinster all the time ... and guess what? We win a f*cking sh*tload of games. I know what I can do."
I know for a fact that Leinster have been very supportive of Ross and have given him the comfort that they value him really highly, more highly than he might be viewed externally.

I don't think it'll ever get said explicitly, but i get the feeling Goodman has done a lot more for Ross Byrne's development as an attacking outhalf than Felipe managed. Goodie was probably closer to Ross as a player typenthan Felipe, maybe that helps. I suspect that Goodman is just a really good communicator about the small ways players can improve.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

jezzer wrote: March 28th, 2023, 10:39 am

I don't think it'll ever get said explicitly, but i get the feeling Goodman has done a lot more for Ross Byrne's development as an attacking outhalf than Felipe managed. Goodie was probably closer to Ross as a player typenthan Felipe, maybe that helps. I suspect that Goodman is just a really good communicator about the small ways players can improve.
Goodman has been in the club for just over half a season. I'm sure (and it's been said) that he has had a really good influence.

But Ross Byrne's improvement as a 10, particularly in an attacking sense, have started long before that.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

wixfjord wrote: March 28th, 2023, 10:42 am

Goodman has been in the club for just over half a season. I'm sure (and it's been said) that he has had a really good influence.

But Ross Byrne's improvement as a 10, particularly in an attacking sense, have started long before that.
Disagree, Byrne is much improved this season.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Almost all players are on an improvement trajectory but Ross has definitely taken a leap forward in how he manipulates the defence at the line this year.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

jezzer wrote: March 28th, 2023, 11:00 am

Almost all players are on an improvement trajectory but Ross has definitely taken a leap forward in how he manipulates the defence at the line this year.
Not sure I'd agree. I think if you look at some of his performances over last 2 years that has been a big improvement in attacking game.

Exeter away in the QF of Europe, Toulouse in the RDS 2-3 years ago be two examples that come to mind against big teams.
Against Bath & Montpellier last year he was really attacking the line too and in Thomond in April also.

This year he has been really good and shown a lot in attack. So definitely improved, but the improvement has been gradual for a few seasons rather than just this season.

People probably remember big 'non performances' from him like LAR and he hasn't had one of those this season, but the reality is they're not scrubbed from his game. He'll still always suffer from lack of athleticism against better teams albeit and can also revert to the 'stand and deliver' stuff too.

Massive opportunity now for him to really own the team and drive us to trophies.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

mildlyinterested wrote: March 28th, 2023, 10:49 am

Hey Mildly. Training pics showing young Prendergast with the senior squad, unusual? Has he been draughted in?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

blockhead wrote: March 28th, 2023, 12:54 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: March 28th, 2023, 10:49 am

Hey Mildly. Training pics showing young Prendergast with the senior squad, unusual? Has he been draughted in?
The whole academy trains with the seniors, I think they just made sure to picture prendergast as he is just back from 20s duty.