Leinster Academy 2021-22

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster Academy 2021-22

Post by mildlyinterested »

dropkick wrote: May 16th, 2022, 1:15 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: May 16th, 2022, 8:25 am Oisin Michel joining Connacht Academy.

Ireland u20 will play 3 games in the summer, against England, France and South Africa.

https://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/loca ... um=twitter

Good signing for Connacht. Michel looked good for the U20s.

3 tough tests for the U20s. Hopefully they'll continue on where they left off.
sounds like they'll be missing Tector.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Diarmuid Mangan
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

mildlyinterested wrote: May 16th, 2022, 1:27 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: May 16th, 2022, 8:25 am Oisin Michel joining Connacht Academy.

Ireland u20 will play 3 games in the summer, against England, France and South Africa.

https://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/loca ... um=twitter

Do you know what the injury is?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

D4surfer wrote: May 17th, 2022, 12:18 pm
havent heard no.
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

D4surfer wrote: May 17th, 2022, 12:18 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: May 16th, 2022, 1:27 pm

Think it was his knee or could have been his ankle not 100% sure tho. But it was definitely his leg that got injured. Was in a lot of pain and had to get morphine so it didn’t look good.
Topdawg
Learner

Post by Topdawg »

Fionn Gibbons joining Munster academy apparently.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Topdawg wrote: May 18th, 2022, 1:34 pm Fionn Gibbons joining Munster academy apparently.
Yeah didnt get an offer from Leinster surprisingly.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Topdawg wrote: May 18th, 2022, 1:34 pm Fionn Gibbons joining Munster academy apparently.
I’m not surprised by this. Technically he was very poor with ball in hand and his awareness didn’t seem great because he was put into touch a few times. He reminded me an awful lot of Sean French.

A brilliant athlete though and certainly a worthwhile signing for Munster.
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: May 18th, 2022, 2:02 pm
I’m not surprised by this. Technically he was very poor with ball in hand and his awareness didn’t seem great because he was put into touch a few times. He reminded me an awful lot of Sean French.

Agreed. He was one of the only players who never got selected to play AIL so he wasn’t as great as people think. Just a great athlete. Has a lot of potential though.
Topdawg
Learner

Post by Topdawg »

[/quote]
Agreed. He was one of the only players who never got selected to play AIL so he wasn’t as great as people think. Just a great athlete. Has a lot of potential though.
[/quote]

Interesting, great opportunity for him to get exposed to senior squad training at Munster and build him minutes in the Ail
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

A number of our Ireland u20 squad are back in camp this week in the build up to an International tournament in Verona with fixtures against France , South Africa and England.

The UCD men are:

Conor O’Tighearnaigh
Diarmuid Mangan
Michael Moloney
Fionn Gibbons
Shane Mallon
Dylan OGrady

James Culhane and Rory McGuire are likely to miss out due to injury but Ben Brownlee is on track to recover in time to join the squad shortly.

Jack Boyle will miss out also due to Leinster commitments.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

mildlyinterested wrote: May 27th, 2022, 2:29 pm A number of our Ireland u20 squad are back in camp this week in the build up to an International tournament in Verona with fixtures against France , South Africa and England.

The UCD men are:

Conor O’Tighearnaigh
Diarmuid Mangan
Michael Moloney
Fionn Gibbons
Shane Mallon
Dylan OGrady

James Culhane and Rory McGuire are likely to miss out due to injury but Ben Brownlee is on track to recover in time to join the squad shortly.

Jack Boyle will miss out also due to Leinster commitments.
That last sentence speaks volumes. Fingers crossed for Ciano 2.0!!!
Long time lurker
Beginner

Post by Long time lurker »

I suppose Tector is going to miss out?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Long time lurker wrote: May 27th, 2022, 8:21 pm I suppose Tector is going to miss out?
Think so, sam prendergast involved
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

What under-age Irish team is this?:

15. Gleeson. 14. Bowen. 13. Faria. 12. Jones. 11. Quinn. 10. O'Kennedy. 9. O'Reilly

1.Heaney. 2.Nicholson. 3. Connelly. 4. Clarke. 5. Sheridan (Capt). 6. Clohessy, 7. Francis. 8. Kelleher

16. Duff. 17. Hennessy. 18. Popplewell. 19. Hill. 20. Ryan. 21. Gilsenan. 22. Egan. 23. Bruce.

Hidden away on p.16 of last Friday's Midi Olympique, I found a brief match report describing a win for this Irish underage team against France by 53-10 in Jonzac, with 8 tries for the Irish to one try to France, who were kept scoreless in the second-half.

Bowen's pace and Gleeson's evasiveness were the special features for Ireland & O'Kennedy place-kicked very well. I think the game was played last Wednesday.

Not often Ireland beats any French team by this margin and even rarer to get such a result in France. Coupled with our Sevens' performances in Toulouse the previous weekend, French rugby media beginning to express more admiration for Irish under-age coaching.
Last edited by Ruckedtobits on May 30th, 2022, 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dougie the flanker
Learner

Post by dougie the flanker »

mildlyinterested wrote: May 27th, 2022, 2:29 pm Jack Boyle will miss out also due to Leinster commitments.
There's a gap for a bolter slot ahead of RWC 2023. Dave Kilcoyne and Cian Healy are going to be doing well to still be capable of playing at this level in another year and a half.

Andy Farrell clearly isn't happy with any of the loose heads he's seen so far. Apart from the experienced Porter/Kilcoyne/Healy trio, in the past 2 seasons he's looked at [in no particular order] Jeremy Loughman, Peter Dooley, Eric O'Sullivan and Ed Byrne. I think for a young player like Boyle or Josh Wycherley at Munster there's a chance to head to France as Porters replacement. Boyle looks a really top class prospect.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Ruckedtobits wrote: May 30th, 2022, 2:52 pm What under-age Irish team is this?:

15. Gleeson. 14. Bowen. 13. Faria. 12. Jones. 11. Quinn. 10. O'Kennedy. 9. O'Reilly

1.Heaney. 2.Nicholson. 3. Connelly. 4. Clarke. 5. Sheridan (Capt). 6. Clohessy, 7. Francis. 8. Kelleher

16. Duff. 17. Hennessy. 18. Popplewell. 19. Hill. 20. Ryan. 21. Gilsenan. 22. Egan. 23. Bruce.

Hidden away on p.16 of last Friday's Midi Olympique, I found a brief match report describing a win for this Irish underage team against France by 53-10 in Jonzac, with 8 tries for the Irish to one try to France, who were kept scoreless in the second-half.

Bowen's pace and Gleeson's evasiveness were the special features for Ireland & O'Kennedy place-kicked very well. I think the game was played last Wednesday.

Not often Ireland beats any French team by this margin and even rarer to get such a result in France. Coupled with our Sevens' performances in Toulouse the previous weekend, French rugby media beginning to express more admiration for Irish under-age coaching.
Irish Universities
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

dougie the flanker wrote: May 30th, 2022, 2:58 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: May 27th, 2022, 2:29 pm Jack Boyle will miss out also due to Leinster commitments.
There's a gap for a bolter slot ahead of RWC 2023. Dave Kilcoyne and Cian Healy are going to be doing well to still be capable of playing at this level in another year and a half.

Andy Farrell clearly isn't happy with any of the loose heads he's seen so far. Apart from the experienced Porter/Kilcoyne/Healy trio, in the past 2 seasons he's looked at [in no particular order] Jeremy Loughman, Peter Dooley, Eric O'Sullivan and Ed Byrne. I think for a young player like Boyle or Josh Wycherley at Munster there's a chance to head to France as Porters replacement. Boyle looks a really top class prospect.
The target is 5 props, 6 is an option. Porter and Furlong are starters. Bealham/O'Toole at tighthead. Healy as a loosehead covering tighthead and 1 other player, a loosehead who will start 2 group games and give an hour to 70 minutes.

Not at all easy for a bolter. Byrne, Kilcoyne, Porter, O'Sullivan are all due to get fair gametime at 4 provinces.
dougie the flanker
Learner

Post by dougie the flanker »

ronk wrote: May 30th, 2022, 3:09 pm
dougie the flanker wrote: May 30th, 2022, 2:58 pm

The target is 5 props, 6 is an option. Porter and Furlong are starters. Bealham/O'Toole at tighthead. Healy as a loosehead covering tighthead and 1 other player, a loosehead who will start 2 group games and give an hour to 70 minutes.

Not at all easy for a bolter. Byrne, Kilcoyne, Porter, O'Sullivan are all due to get fair gametime at 4 provinces.
I think neither Kilcoyne nor Healy are fully assured of travelling. In terms of experience its probably extremely unlikely that both would be dropped but I think there's a big question mark over that backup loosehead jersey.

Cian Healys performance against England this year definitely will have raised some alarm bells and there's a long road ahead of him before we get to France 2023. He's already played over 350 matches for Leinster and Ireland and will be 36 years old going into the RWC. Maybe Ed Byrne becomes the bolter but I think its no guarantee that he travels to France despite his versatility.

Similar for Kilcoyne, he'll be in the driving seat at Munster next season but Josh Wycherley looks to be taking his chances. Since January he's got 15 games under his belt for Munster and has overtaken Jeremy Loughman in the pecking order. Has started and held his own in some really big matches and had his big performance against Slimani away to Clermont a year ago as well. Its certainly a possibility that he manages to overtake Dave Kilcoyne who was always a great carrier but often offered a bit less at scrum time and as part of a wider attacking plan.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

22-23 intake announced:

Brownlee
Culhane
King
Mangan
McGuire
Prendergast
Tector.