blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: Leinster Squad 21-22

Post by blockhead »

FLIP wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 9:10 am
the spoofer wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 8:58 am
mildlyinterested wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 8:27 am

he said it on the rugbypod
I call bullshit. Maybe if you include all the coaching staff, CCROs, admin, grounds people etc you might get close but I doubt it.
Yeah he said at the very beginning that he didn't really know but the Welsh and English are going mad for it.
So, with our 60th player this season, that would mean an average salary of E233,333.33 :shock:
No wonder nobody wants to leave.
"Delivering Pizza's to get by" go'on otta that Beirne ye lying barsteward
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

blockhead wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 9:43 am
the spoofer wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 8:58 am

I call bullshit. Maybe if you include all the coaching staff, CCROs, admin, grounds people etc you might get close but I doubt it.
Yeah he said at the very beginning that he didn't really know but the Welsh and English are going mad for it.
So, with our 60th player this season, that would mean an average salary of E233,333.33 :shock:
I've noticed that it is mainly Leicester fans getting incensed about this. Funny thing is that when we played them they brought on Nadolo (replacing a bought in international) as a sub, we brought on a guy in the academy earning what, a quarter? One fifth? One eighth? A tenth? of what Nadolo would be on? Replacing a guy on his first senior contract also most likely was also on a small fraction of Nadolo's wages.

They lost because when they brought Nadolo on Borthwick coached it as you would expect: throw the ball to the big guy and see what happens. He got put on his arse by young Tommy. So our coaching is better? It's a rookie head coach that nobody else wanted and a senior coach who says that until Leo rang him his phone was not ringing with any job offers.

Yes Leinster are a bigger organisation than Leicester, because they do a whole lot of things that Leicester don't have to but Leinster do. They cost money, but there's savings that follow on from that in first team salaries. We weren't replacing bought in internationals (from teams that you won't lose them too often to) with more bought in internationals like Leicester were.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

fourthirtythree wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 11:29 am
blockhead wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 9:43 am

I've noticed that it is mainly Leicester fans getting incensed about this. Funny thing is that when we played them they brought on Nadolo (replacing a bought in international) as a sub, we brought on a guy in the academy earning what, a quarter? One fifth? One eighth? A tenth? of what Nadolo would be on? Replacing a guy on his first senior contract also most likely was also on a small fraction of Nadolo's wages.

They lost because when they brought Nadolo on Borthwick coached it as you would expect: throw the ball to the big guy and see what happens. He got put on his arse by young Tommy. So our coaching is better? It's a rookie head coach that nobody else wanted and a senior coach who says that until Leo rang him his phone was not ringing with any job offers.

Yes Leinster are a bigger organisation than Leicester, because they do a whole lot of things that Leicester don't have to but Leinster do. They cost money, but there's savings that follow on from that in first team salaries. We weren't replacing bought in internationals (from teams that you won't lose them too often to) with more bought in internationals like Leicester were.
Exactly.

As they said on the Molecast, Leinster's reported budget seems to increase by 1m after every win (if you believed what the English press say).
Let them at it with their whingeing and moaning and ignorance of how rugby is run in the rest of the world...
Dont Panic!
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

curates_egg wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 8:32 am I’d actually be interested in reading some rugby journalism about Dunne. Like, some analysis of his rugby career, his Leinster experience and why he’s going.
It's such lazy journalism to write the 100th article about his sexuality. Like, he’s been out publicly for years. Fair play to him, of course, but also change the record.

I thought he looked like being a perfect squad member in a position where we have never really produced a player: beefy tighthead lock. Why is he leaving/why are we letting him go? What are his plans/hopes at Exeter?
I don't agree at all. Firstly, and most importantly, interviews with him on this subject are really important. There are kids out there who will read articles like this and gain confidence in themselves. There are kids out there who will read this and avoid depression or worse.

Secondly, you and I and most here may think of his sexuality as a non event, but there are people out there in the rugby community who do, and this needs to be normalized as much as possible.

Thirdly, there have been very, very few articles/ interviews about his sexuality. I can think of three, including this one. If you can show me more than 10, let alone 100, I'll be shocked.

Fourthly, if this wasn't the subject, there would be no interview or article at all. How many interviews have you read about O'Loughlin moving? Or Dooley?
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

CiaranIrl wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 12:11 pm
curates_egg wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 8:32 am I’d actually be interested in reading some rugby journalism about Dunne. Like, some analysis of his rugby career, his Leinster experience and why he’s going.
It's such lazy journalism to write the 100th article about his sexuality. Like, he’s been out publicly for years. Fair play to him, of course, but also change the record.

I thought he looked like being a perfect squad member in a position where we have never really produced a player: beefy tighthead lock. Why is he leaving/why are we letting him go? What are his plans/hopes at Exeter?
I don't agree at all. Firstly, and most importantly, interviews with him on this subject are really important. There are kids out there who will read articles like this and gain confidence in themselves. There are kids out there who will read this and avoid depression or worse.

Secondly, you and I and most here may think of his sexuality as a non event, but there are people out there in the rugby community who do, and this needs to be normalized as much as possible.

Thirdly, there have been very, very few articles/ interviews about his sexuality. I can think of three, including this one. If you can show me more than 10, let alone 100, I'll be shocked.

Fourthly, if this wasn't the subject, there would be no interview or article at all. How many interviews have you read about O'Loughlin moving? Or Dooley?
Is it Dunne that is the Theoretical Physicist?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

curates_egg wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 8:32 amWhy is he leaving/why are we letting him go? What are his plans/hopes at Exeter?

I am led to believe that Leinster wanted him and offered him 'proper' money (meaning realistic and not trying to mess him around, keep him on the cheap) but that he is motivated to go of his own volition. I don't have any insights why. Some talk that he might also be qualified to play for England.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

backrower8 wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 1:04 pm
curates_egg wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 8:32 amWhy is he leaving/why are we letting him go? What are his plans/hopes at Exeter?

I am led to believe that Leinster wanted him and offered him 'proper' money (meaning realistic and not trying to mess him around, keep him on the cheap) but that he is motivated to go of his own volition. I don't have any insights why. Some talk that he might also be qualified to play for England.
It’s a shame either way. If he ends up lining out for England, it would be even more of a shame.

He’s the first proper tighthead lock we’ve produced in the professional era. I wonder if McCarthy’s emergence was a factor?
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

the spoofer wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 8:17 am Did Jackman really say that the Leinster wage bill is 12-14m? It was mentioned on Leicester Tigers forum.
14m gives an average wage of 300k for 46 senior players. LMAO
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

paddyor wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 4:31 pm
the spoofer wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 8:17 am Did Jackman really say that the Leinster wage bill is 12-14m? It was mentioned on Leicester Tigers forum.
That's close to the Budget for the entire Branch, - Summer Camps, Mini Support, Youths & Schools, Under Age Rep games, Provincial Academies, Club Support, Women's Game Development and eventually Professional Rugby including the Leinster Academy. Including all employed for at least part of a year and counting administrative staff but not volunteers, that probably exceeds 250 people. There is some support from the IRFU for part of cost of particular posts or programmes but Leinster is rumoured to get less in this regard than Munster or Ulster (some of their funding is NI Sports Council).

Not for the first time, Birch is summarising a very complex picture and providing an inaccurate media headline. No Irish Province players budget has ever exceeded a baseline of c. €8.0m. Results, or appearance, based earnings sometimes come on top of that figure but cumulatively are a relatively small amount.

No figure is ever attributed to the "Budget" for player earnings, either in Provincial or IRFU accounts. The figures outlined above are based on guesstimates by a couple of Agents in the game c. 2019 and given the impact of Covid are unlikely to be far out of line. What any analysis does show is that running an organisation of the scope and complexity of Leinster Rugby is a mammoth task and we've been blessed to have Mick Dawson overseeing and guiding it for so long.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Ruckedtobits wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 4:57 pm
That's close to the Budget for the entire Branch, - Summer Camps, Mini Support, Youths & Schools, Under Age Rep games, Provincial Academies, Club Support, Women's Game Development and eventually Professional Rugby including the Leinster Academy. Including all employed for at least part of a year and counting administrative staff but not volunteers, that probably exceeds 250 people. There is some support from the IRFU for part of cost of particular posts or programmes but Leinster is rumoured to get less in this regard than Munster or Ulster (some of their funding is NI Sports Council).

Not for the first time, Birch is summarising a very complex picture and providing an inaccurate media headline. No Irish Province players budget has ever exceeded a baseline of c. €8.0m. Results, or appearance, based earnings sometimes come on top of that figure but cumulatively are a relatively small amount.

No figure is ever attributed to the "Budget" for player earnings, either in Provincial or IRFU accounts. The figures outlined above are based on guesstimates by a couple of Agents in the game c. 2019 and given the impact of Covid are unlikely to be far out of line. What any analysis does show is that running an organisation of the scope and complexity of Leinster Rugby is a mammoth task and we've been blessed to have Mick Dawson overseeing and guiding it for so long.
What would the match fee be? - the amount a player gets paid for making the 23 for any given game. I was just wondering because a payment of several hundred euros could be quite welcome for someone like Osborne who can't be on much.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Just for jollies - this years prize money for the Premier League season just finished has been released...

1. Manchester City
Actual league position: 1st
Equal share of the various premier league broadcasting deals: £79m
Facility fees - extra payment for each time a team is shown live: £26.3m
Merit payment - the actual prize money based on position: £53.1m
Commercial revenue - equal share of the Premier Leagues commcial deals: £5.6m
Total: £164m

2020-21 payment: £153.9m
Difference: +£10.1m

2. Liverpool
Actual league position: 2nd
Equal share: £79m
Facility fees: £27.3m
Merit payment: £50.4m
Commercial revenue: £5.6m
Total: £162.3m

2020-21 payment: £148.3m
Difference: +£14m

3. Tottenham
Actual league position: 4th
Equal share: £79m
Facility fees: £25.4m
Merit payment: £45.1m
Commercial revenue: £5.6m
Total: £155.1m

2020-21 payment: £139.4m
Difference: +£15.7m
I have Bumbleflex
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Isn't Professional game costs the fees spent on professional players and coaches etc. Includes things like 7s teams too. Jumped 20m in 2021but it looks like they shifted some items in Elite Player Development there. 8-9m has been working theory for a while now based on the €45m from 18/19.

https://d19fc3vd0ojo3m.cloudfront.net/i ... s-2021.pdf
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

This is one of the areas of Apples & Oranges comparison. The Salary "cap" for English Prem relates to player salaries, not the total cost of the professional operation - Coaches,Sport Staff, Admin Staff, Travel, Ground Hire etc. All of those cost are accumulated together for all four Provinces (hidden) within Branch or IRFU accounts.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Not sure if the move is still on, but Ngatai looked good last night.

Clearly a leader, very aggressive in defence and attack and nice varied kicking game. Him and J Lowe kicking from deep would be a big weapon.

He did take on too much though imo and tried to go for the big plays too early.

Would be a great signing for two years though.
Leinsterimp
Bookworm

Post by Leinsterimp »

Could do with another NIQ signing at both TH and LH, Big Mike has proved he can’t compete at European level so can’t rely on him on the bench.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Leinsterimp wrote: May 28th, 2022, 8:34 pm Could do with another NIQ signing at both TH and LH, Big Mike has proved he can’t compete at European level so can’t rely on him on the bench.
Did you miss the semifinal?
Do you have someone in mind to replace him, an international captain and ex Super Rugby player, as a sub?

We could do with a loosehead and second row though. That’s taking nothing away from Molony, who’s had an amazing season. Not sure Jenkins is the signing we need, but he’s the signing we’ve got.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

curates_egg wrote: May 28th, 2022, 9:57 pm
Leinsterimp wrote: May 28th, 2022, 8:34 pm Could do with another NIQ signing at both TH and LH, Big Mike has proved he can’t compete at European level so can’t rely on him on the bench.
Do you have someone in mind to replace him, an international captain and ex Super Rugby player, as a sub?

We could do with a loosehead and second row though. That’s taking nothing away from Molony, who’s had an amazing season. Not sure Jenkins is the signing we need, but he’s the signing we’ve got.
I think he missed the final too.
Anyone But New Zealand
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

FLIP wrote: May 28th, 2022, 9:57 pm

I think he missed the final too.
I would need to rewatch but I also thought he did well. Very unlucky not to win a penalty for one of the reset scrums on around 76.30.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

I hate to say it, but today I felt like I was watching Ireland in the quarter-final of the RWC, where before kick off one has the not unreasonable assumption - on form, in comparison of the team selections etc. - that they'll advance to the next round; and then somehow they manage not to. Consider this: Leinster are bulk providers to the Irish national team, the only one of the tier one nations that has NEVER won a knock-out match at eight rugby world cups. Is it a coincidence? I dunno...
Leinsterimp
Bookworm

Post by Leinsterimp »

He’s not Samoa’s captain? Got dominated in the scrum against Leicester and Toulouse, made the ridiculous error to argue with the touch judge against Toulouse and let their maul have a walk in, and he gave away another sloppy penalty today.

Healy imo is also done in terms of top end European games if you compare what he does around the pitch compared to loose heads from the other top teams.

And as for a TH signing, I’d have gone for someone like Vincent Koch who wasps have managed to get from Saracens.