Leo Cullen

Re: Enforcer Second-Row Options

Post by mildlyinterested »

He needs gametime and a lot of it.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

mildlyinterested wrote: September 29th, 2021, 3:12 pm He needs gametime and a lot of it.
+1, and regular reminders that the extraordinary is not required until the ordinary has been executed to perfection on every opportunity.

Doing what he can do, as well as he can do it, is what advanced Dev's career. It will serve the same purpose for Jack D.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Dunne's first game for Leinster against Glasgow was incredible. Proper all court game with a huge tackle count.

His body shape has changed a lot since then (if he has actually put on 8kg then fair play!), but I've huge hopes for him, particularly if Dev can teach him a few tricks.

That injury at end of last year was most unfortunate.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

wixfjord wrote: September 29th, 2021, 3:44 pm Dunne's first game for Leinster against Glasgow was incredible. Proper all court game with a huge tackle count.

His body shape has changed a lot since then (if he has actually put on 8kg then fair play!), but I've huge hopes for him, particularly if Dev can teach him a few tricks.

That injury at end of last year was most unfortunate.
His workrate is outstanding for such a big man ... he gets off the ground really quickly and he seems to be constantly in motion. None of us has seen enough of him at pro level to have an informed opinion of his abilities as a scrummager [on either side] or a lineout jumper/kick receiver.

A little bit of a strange comparison to make, but at the moment I'd compare him to Donncha O'Callaghan. Great workrate, super fit, very eager ... but a few questions about his set-piece proficiencies and his abilities to smash opposition forwards at the pro level.

In fairness to Donncha, he won 90+ Irish caps, went on two Lions tours and played well over 400 first class pro games, so my criticisms of his style of play are pretty irrelevant.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Donncha learnt to complement POC and trade on the partnership. It also worked well for Botha/Matfield too.

Helped him get selected ahead of MOK, who was I thought generally a better player.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

I had a look at the roar and found this interesting article.
https://www.theroar.com.au/2021/10/04/w ... -locks-go/

The kiwis are worried about their lock options long term. Looking at some of the comments, Scott Barrett is 6'4 apparently as is Petti for Argentina.

Retallick has 87 caps, is 30 and been with the ABs since 2012. Whitelock is 33 in a week, has 127 caps and been with the ABs since 2010. Whitelock with a further 163 Crusaders appearances. Lot of mileage on Whitelocks body.

On Leinsters options. I was very impressed with the little bit of McCarthy I saw. Powerful, mobile and he was overly aggressive if anything which is a good sign.