United Rugby Championship

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Re: United Rugby Championship

Post by fourthirtythree »

Theleinsterlad wrote: June 8th, 2022, 4:47 pm
blockhead wrote: June 8th, 2022, 3:56 pm https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... e-24166037

Simon Thomas review of the URC Season 1.
The obsession with the Eng prem is just so :roll:
And this new excuse, I'm only aware of it recently tbh, "the lack of away fans at league matches" wtf is that about?

If the prem did turn its eye to internationalising their own league I don't thing they would be knocking on welsh doors
I actually think that article has been well written and goes through the pros and cons of both for the URC. I don’t think he is implying it’s true that the Welsh fans are disadvantaged, more he is printing what their feelings are even though it’s an inaccurate feeling to have. He is right in saying any game they want to go to they have to get a plane and that includes irish matches for them.

At the end of the day SA and Irish fans are the happier of the group with the way it’s going, for Ireland we finally have someone else to fight for a title for other than our own provinces and SA are seeing all their stars coming home again. Welsh fans are just sick that it’s us and not their teams at the top. But as he says at the end the only sensible thing is to finally back their regions which will improve it, cause the English prem wants nothing to do with the Welsh
I agree with you. It's very unfair to blame the journalist for Sam Warburton's opinions or the fact that they are popular with Welsh rugby Twitter. It's a balanced article asking what Welsh rugby can do. It's unfortunate that Warburton's opinions are taken so seriously. He's the Welsh equivalent of Luke Fitzgerald in the pundit sphere. He has a lot of hot takes. They are all terrible, terrible takes. He's frequently obviously wrong, just a search engine click away and it's the fault of everyone who tolerates his nonsense that he isn't called out for talking nonsense. And then he's frequently just talking out of his arse.

He seemed like such a sensible man when he was playing. Who knew?
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

fourthirtythree wrote: June 9th, 2022, 11:17 am
I agree with you. It's very unfair to blame the journalist for Sam Warburton's opinions or the fact that they are popular with Welsh rugby Twitter. It's a balanced article asking what Welsh rugby can do. It's unfortunate that Warburton's opinions are taken so seriously. He's the Welsh equivalent of Luke Fitzgerald in the pundit sphere. He has a lot of hot takes. They are all terrible, terrible takes. He's frequently obviously wrong, just a search engine click away and it's the fault of everyone who tolerates his nonsense that he isn't called out for talking nonsense. And then he's frequently just talking out of his arse.

He seemed like such a sensible man when he was playing. Who knew?
IIRC in the 2014(could have the year wrong) 6N he was interviewed before the opener and was asked some softball questions about the importance of the 6N. It got onto his history in the game and he waxed lyrical about his club Rwibina(I've probably missed a few consanants their Karol) and not a word about Cardiff. "It's all about Rwibina for me" or something like that. I remember it because it really boiled the piss of Cardiff fans over on Gwlad. All lost to the ether now with the move to nugwlad. Think it was around the time he broke ranks and signed a contract with the Union. But yeah Sam tell us more about the support problems of the regions.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

I'll never forget the time during a Cardiff home match vs Leinster, when poor Sam tried to get in the way of Ben Teo on one of his rumbles, got clocked by the Plastercast of Power and had to leave the field of play for the rest of the proceedings! 😝
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Eddie Butler this time,
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... y-24187477

Scrap the regions, go back to the clubs and play in a Wales only league, let the top players leave Wales.
Radical if nothing else.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

blockhead wrote: June 9th, 2022, 6:15 pm Eddie Butler this time,

Scrap the regions, go back to the clubs and play in a Wales only league, let the top players leave Wales.
Radical if nothing else.
Mediocre though the regions may be, he's essentially calling for the end of top-level domestic rugby in Wales. Do they hate not winning the URC/Champions' Cup so much that they'd rather simply not have elite-level clubs?...
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

neiliog93 wrote: June 9th, 2022, 6:30 pm

Radical if nothing else.
Mediocre though the regions may be, he's essentially calling for the end of top-level domestic rugby in Wales. Do they hate not winning the URC/Champions' Cup so much that they'd rather simply not have elite-level clubs?...
He prefers drinking for free in many a clubhouse.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Radical if nothing else.
Click!
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

One of the things I like about the South African's is there seems to be a big buy-in regarding the league. They are taking it seriously and aren't crapping on it. You'd think the English and French would be welcoming them as well in the Cups they are big box office teams that their supporters haven't seen before. Hopefully we continue to see a mind-shift and more teams/fans take the URC seriously.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

sunshiner1 wrote: June 11th, 2022, 10:11 am One of the things I like about the South African's is there seems to be a big buy-in regarding the league. They are taking it seriously and aren't crapping on it. You'd think the English and French would be welcoming them as well in the Cups they are big box office teams that their supporters haven't seen before. Hopefully we continue to see a mind-shift and more teams/fans take the URC seriously.
100%. Here's hoping the Ulstermen can turn the Stormers over in Cape Town in a couple of hours, so it's not an all-Saffers inaugural URC final. SUFTUM!!!!!!
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

Is Ulster match on terrestrial TV?
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

enby wrote: June 11th, 2022, 11:32 am Is Ulster match on terrestrial TV?
Is the league not finished?

Seriously though, it seems to be on RTE2.
Dont Panic!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Before we start the second S/F, how did we end up with two clown referees for the semi-finals?
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

Dexter wrote: June 11th, 2022, 12:35 pm
enby wrote: June 11th, 2022, 11:32 am Is Ulster match on terrestrial TV?
Is the league not finished?

Seriously though, it seems to be on RTE2.
Thanks
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Ruckedtobits wrote: June 11th, 2022, 2:00 pm Before we start the second S/F, how did we end up with two clown referees for the semi-finals?
Adamson may well be Ulster's secret weapon. Balacoune's try was a clear forward pass and he is protected Ulster's line-out as if it was the Holy Grail.

Delighted Ulster are 10-15 ahead and Stormers, despite a 10 point start don't look nearly as confident in attack as the Bulls did last night.

SUFTUM
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

I thought it was looking bad for Ulster when they went to 10-0 down bit they've come back well.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

That was some game today. Really sorry for Ulster, would have loved them to win a trophy after all these years.
I think that last kick was good, just. The saffers have really enhanced this tournament no end. Next year is gonna be mega!
I think I might have mentioned in before but those dancers really add to the show, we could take some lessons from the saffers and stop being so stuffy. Jazz it up a little.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

Seriously , can anyone say its good for the competition to have 2 SA teams in the final ?? … id say there will be practically zero interest in the final in these islands .. and I expect Bulks will murder the Stormers … ill look out for the result … but thats about all
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

I’ll watch the final if I’m let
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

sunshiner1 wrote: June 11th, 2022, 10:11 am One of the things I like about the South African's is there seems to be a big buy-in regarding the league. They are taking it seriously and aren't crapping on it. You'd think the English and French would be welcoming them as well in the Cups they are big box office teams that their supporters haven't seen before. Hopefully we continue to see a mind-shift and more teams/fans take the URC seriously.
They’re competition though. Look at the exodus of saffers home. They can explain etc a big bump in income from it too.
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

blockhead wrote: June 11th, 2022, 8:52 pm That was some game today. Really sorry for Ulster, would have loved them to win a trophy after all these years.
I think that last kick was good, just. The saffers have really enhanced this tournament no end. Next year is gonna be mega!
I think I might have mentioned in before but those dancers really add to the show, we could take some lessons from the saffers and stop being so stuffy. Jazz it up a little.
The canned music during the breaks in play I can't bear at all, but the cheerleaders... 😉