Moderator: moderators

Dexter
Shane Horgan

Re: United Rugby Championship

Post by Dexter »

desperado wrote: January 8th, 2023, 10:00 pm
hugonaut wrote: January 8th, 2023, 8:38 pm
Ray Donovan wrote: January 8th, 2023, 5:09 pm

That’s pretty much how we ended the regular season last year. We needed 1 bonus point from 2 games down there to guarantee top seeding and the young guns got it. And the common refrain then was our frontliners weren’t exposed to enough high intensity games come the business end of the campaign.

Having said that I still think sending a developmental side to SA is the more favourable option.
The common refrain was a load of nonsense though. A lot of people searching for a narrative, some of them honestly, some of them with an axe to grind.

With regards to high intensity games? We beat the English champions elect on their home patch in the quarter final, then absolutely hammered the French champions elect in the semi-final. We got beaten in the last play of the game away in France, to a really good French team, in front of a French crowd.

It's knock-out rugby, if you're playing a good team, they play great and you don't play great, you get beaten. It doesn't take an awful lot. It's a one-off match.

We played an obviously injured James Lowe in the European final and it wasn't far off playing with fourteen men. He had 13 carries for 105m and two tries in the semi final against Toulouse, got a bad bang on the leg in the last minute of that game and in the final he had 1 carry for 0m. We didn't pass him the ball because he couldn't run. He didn't come looking for the ball because he couldn't run. We took a risk playing him, it completely didn't pay off.

Lowe is the best try-scorer in the history of Leinster Rugby - 50 tries in 69 games. The only people ahead of him are Shaggy [69 in 203 games], Drico [61 in 186 games], Darce [60 in 257 games] and DK [54 in 178 games]. You can see why a coach would take the risk.

We didn't really even have a suitable sub on the bench, opting for Frawley at No23 – Frawley had made 13 of his 14 starts at No12 that season [the other one at No10]. We ended up not using him. Kearney was injured, Tommy O'Brien was injured, Larmour had just played his first game in 11 weeks, we hadn't picked either O'Loughlin or Adam Byrne in any of the previous games of the competition. There's a real temptation to imagine those guys [AB & Locko] at their peak and think what they might have contributed, but the reality was that their form that season had seen them passed out by pretty much every other threequarter in the senior squad.

We probably should have picked Larmour on the bench, but this is 20-20 hindsight stuff. Frawley was the form player, but he didn't really give us the coverage where we needed it. We had actually had Tommy on the bench for the QF against Leicester, but unfortunately he got injured in training before the Toulouse game.
Very good points Hugo. Brings back painful memories. I seem to remember JLo almost in 'beach gear' during TV coverage of the captains run in Marseille, and taking zero part in the run out. Remember travelling over the morning of the game and most were full sure he wouldn't be playing - was so surprised when he was on team sheet. We we're minutes away from winning. The atmosphere was so partisanly French it was almost a home game for LAR. I never watched the recording I was so deflated. If I'm right Big Mike had a possible jackal latch not rewarded by Barnes as Barnes said Moloney was on the ground obstructing a clear out; other small margins like the ball brushing off JOBs shin as he tried to usher it dead. We were very very close.
Spot on. It was totally a home game for LAR and they got pretty much every piece of luck going on the day.. but that happens. I've said it numerous times but I think it's impossible to get to 6 finals and win them all. Some days you won't get the luck or the 50:50 decisions that you get in other finals.
You're also playing very good teams, as its a final, so those things matter.
I'm still convinced we're a better team/squad than LAR (and Stormers & Bulls) but sometimes that's not enough.
Dont Panic!
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Laighin Break wrote: January 8th, 2023, 4:50 pm
wixfjord wrote: January 8th, 2023, 4:45 pm Massive result for us.

As an aside, the commentators on Premier Sport have been brilliant. It's been a great game but unlike Hugh Cahill, these guys actually seem to want to be there and make the game better instead of talking it down.
Thought the exact same. Only caught the last half hour but the commentators certainly thought it was an absolute cracker of a game. Compare that to Hugh Cahill's drivel in the Connacht game on yesterday - he described the game as putrid with <10 mins gone.
I was appalled by that particular choice of word, which was totally unwarranted. Guy's a total muppet.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Win our 3 home games and we are in top spot. Only a mathematical chance of anyone catching us. Stormers closest and they are one of our home games.

The only problem is. The Stormers game is 6 days after the final 6 nations fixture
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

johng wrote: January 8th, 2023, 11:12 pm Win our 3 home games and we are in top spot. Only a mathematical chance of anyone catching us. Stormers closest and they are one of our home games.
I've long felt that people over rate the Stormers chances of catching us.

They have a tough run of 5 games. They had Glasgow today. They have Ulster away who might find their confidence and actually try. They are away to us. They are away to the Bulls and they are home and away against Sharks.

7 games left and 5 are tough. They aren't going to win the 5 tough games. I suspect they will slip up away to the Bulls. They won't get try bonus points in all of the rest.

Bulls have an easier run in but are 17 points behind.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

naraic wrote: January 8th, 2023, 11:39 pm
johng wrote: January 8th, 2023, 11:12 pm Win our 3 home games and we are in top spot. Only a mathematical chance of anyone catching us. Stormers closest and they are one of our home games.

They have a tough run of 5 games. They had Glasgow today. They have Ulster away who might find their confidence and actually try. They are away to us. They are away to the Bulls and they are home and away against Sharks.

7 games left and 5 are tough. They aren't going to win the 5 tough games. I suspect they will slip up away to the Bulls. They won't get try bonus points in all of the rest.

We'll finish double digit points ahead of the next team I reckon. I said it in another thread - you have to ignore the fixture list to see even a remote risk of not finishing top of the table.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

The only problem is. The Stormers game is 6 days after the final 6 nations fixture
We've Edinburgh during the 6N which is usually a happy hunting ground for us(6N not necessarily embra). We could be playing to seal the deal in that game.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

Thought you were saying that Edinburgh is a happy hunting ground for us at first and didn’t think that was the case.

The home team wins that fixture more often than not, Edinburgh have won three of their last four games against us at home. Though their home record has been pretty bad this season (50% win rate from 6 games), some of the worst teams in the league like Lions and Munster have gotten wins there this season.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Dexter wrote: January 8th, 2023, 10:09 pm

The common refrain was a load of nonsense though. A lot of people searching for a narrative, some of them honestly, some of them with an axe to grind.

With regards to high intensity games? We beat the English champions elect on their home patch in the quarter final, then absolutely hammered the French champions elect in the semi-final. We got beaten in the last play of the game away in France, to a really good French team, in front of a French crowd.

It's knock-out rugby, if you're playing a good team, they play great and you don't play great, you get beaten. It doesn't take an awful lot. It's a one-off match.

We played an obviously injured James Lowe in the European final and it wasn't far off playing with fourteen men. He had 13 carries for 105m and two tries in the semi final against Toulouse, got a bad bang on the leg in the last minute of that game and in the final he had 1 carry for 0m. We didn't pass him the ball because he couldn't run. He didn't come looking for the ball because he couldn't run. We took a risk playing him, it completely didn't pay off.

Lowe is the best try-scorer in the history of Leinster Rugby - 50 tries in 69 games. The only people ahead of him are Shaggy [69 in 203 games], Drico [61 in 186 games], Darce [60 in 257 games] and DK [54 in 178 games]. You can see why a coach would take the risk.

We didn't really even have a suitable sub on the bench, opting for Frawley at No23 – Frawley had made 13 of his 14 starts at No12 that season [the other one at No10]. We ended up not using him. Kearney was injured, Tommy O'Brien was injured, Larmour had just played his first game in 11 weeks, we hadn't picked either O'Loughlin or Adam Byrne in any of the previous games of the competition. There's a real temptation to imagine those guys [AB & Locko] at their peak and think what they might have contributed, but the reality was that their form that season had seen them passed out by pretty much every other threequarter in the senior squad.

We probably should have picked Larmour on the bench, but this is 20-20 hindsight stuff. Frawley was the form player, but he didn't really give us the coverage where we needed it. We had actually had Tommy on the bench for the QF against Leicester, but unfortunately he got injured in training before the Toulouse game.
Very good points Hugo. Brings back painful memories. I seem to remember JLo almost in 'beach gear' during TV coverage of the captains run in Marseille, and taking zero part in the run out. Remember travelling over the morning of the game and most were full sure he wouldn't be playing - was so surprised when he was on team sheet. We we're minutes away from winning. The atmosphere was so partisanly French it was almost a home game for LAR. I never watched the recording I was so deflated. If I'm right Big Mike had a possible jackal latch not rewarded by Barnes as Barnes said Moloney was on the ground obstructing a clear out; other small margins like the ball brushing off JOBs shin as he tried to usher it dead. We were very very close.
Spot on. It was totally a home game for LAR and they got pretty much every piece of luck going on the day.. but that happens. I've said it numerous times but I think it's impossible to get to 6 finals and win them all. Some days you won't get the luck or the 50:50 decisions that you get in other finals.
I'm still convinced we're a better team/squad than LAR (and Stormers & Bulls) but sometimes that's not enough.
Really good accurate recall and analysis of the reality of last season's denouement. For the neutral the way it worked out covered up many of the flaws in the overall tournament. For the media, particularly here, the success of ROG was a highlight which inhibited analysis of the significance of Lowe's injury and our flawed selection of the bench on the day.

Without doubt there were 'learnings' for Leocaster which should contribute to our assault on trophies this season. As Gianluca Vialli was quoted this weekend "You either win or you learn".
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Dexter wrote: January 8th, 2023, 10:09 pm

No, no it’s because we can’t deal with big physical teams… :lol:

In all serious though, great posts, totally agree.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

If you re-watch the final you'll also see our scrum & lineout maul were actually strong that day. The former was fine and the latter was a great weapon.

With Jenkins in I wouldn't have any concerns about either of those against a bigger team.
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

Still not over it. Shoulda, woulda, coulda. Pipped in a 50:50 game in hostile territory. It happens.

Also think our eye was way off the game v. Bulls. Don't see that happening again.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

naraic wrote: January 8th, 2023, 11:39 pm

Yep Stormers have Ulster away, Sharks away and Bulls away as their next 3 games.

Ours are Cardif at home, Dragons at home and Embra away.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Ruckedtobits wrote: January 9th, 2023, 7:58 am
Really good accurate recall and analysis of the reality of last season's denouement. For the neutral the way it worked out covered up many of the flaws in the overall tournament. For the media, particularly here, the success of ROG was a highlight which inhibited analysis of the significance of Lowe's injury and our flawed selection of the bench on the day.
This raises the point about the lack of serious media coverage of Leinster (the leading Irish, European & one of the two best clubs in the world in the last 10 years) compared to Munster (winners of nothing). They got all the coverage they deserved and more in their glory days (10-15 years ago) and every year since despite and because of their slide...it's never-ending, hours and hours and hours of "do you think they were marginally less bad/ there were greenshoots this week?"

Surely there is a media / social media market for much, much more analysis of Leinster (not just on this board)

See new thread...
Schumi
Enlightened

Post by Schumi »

Degz wrote: January 9th, 2023, 10:19 am Still not over it. Shoulda, woulda, coulda. Pipped in a 50:50 game in hostile territory. It happens.

Also think our eye was way off the game v. Bulls. Don't see that happening again.
Even with that, we'd have beaten the Bulls if we had a competent line out or had the sense to kick our points instead going back to the misfiring line out again and again.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

The BKT United Rugby Championship has today confirmed that Ulster’s postponed Round 6 fixture versus the Cell C Sharks will take place on Saturday 25 February (KO 12pm).

Rearranged fixture details have today been announced after Ulster’s Round 6 match scheduled for October in Durban, along with Emirates Lions v Glasgow Warriors game the same weekend, had to be postponed due to severe illness in the visiting squads whilst in South Africa.

Both games will now take place in-between Round 14 and Round 15 on Saturday 25 February, with the Cell C Sharks hosting Ulster in Durban at 12pm (UK/Ire time), and the Emirates Lions welcoming Glasgow Warriors to Johannesburg (KO 2:10pm, UK/Ire time).

Both games on Viaplay-Premier Sports / Super Sport / URC TV.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Should the URC take a leaf out of the Gallagher Premiership / BT Sport's coverage whereby they allow pitchside access to players pre and during matches? The interviews don't add much but you do get the feeling from BT's coverage overall that you are 'inside the ropes'. Their attempts to discuss awkward issues (Farrell's tackle) and people (interviews with Eddie Jones) is admirable. They really are trying to make it work.

URC and international teams (starting with their PR people) need to learn that loosening up in what they say (being human) won't sink the ship and will build greater engagement with the consumers.

Its as bad or worse in GAA. The English Premiership and Champions League get much better and more genuine access in my opinion.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

I personally hate mid-game interviews with coaches and any sort if warm-up/half-time interview with players. They have a match to focus on.
Would be interesting to see what the general consensus is though, if people do actually appreciate these kind of interviews. I think they tend to offer 0 insight.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

backrower8 wrote: January 13th, 2023, 12:58 pm Should the URC take a leaf out of the Gallagher Premiership / BT Sport's coverage whereby they allow pitchside access to players pre and during matches? The interviews don't add much but you do get the feeling from BT's coverage overall that you are 'inside the ropes'. Their attempts to discuss awkward issues (Farrell's tackle) and people (interviews with Eddie Jones) is admirable. They really are trying to make it work.

URC and international teams (starting with their PR people) need to learn that loosening up in what they say (being human) won't sink the ship and will build greater engagement with the consumers.

Its as bad or worse in GAA. The English Premiership and Champions League get much better and more genuine access in my opinion.
I'm all for pre- and post-match interviews. However, I absolutely hate interviews with coaches during the game and interviews with players coming off the pitch at half time. In both cases I think coaches and players in the period between kickoff and the final whistle are doing more than enough, in fact breaking their bollixes, to put on a decent show. I therefore find it extremely unfair and onerous to expect them to give Joe Soap in TV land a running update on what's happening, particularly as the latter can already see this with his own eyes. Plus oftentimes the interviews with the coaches during the match are being carried out just as something is happening on the pitch and as such are often an actual distraction from the main event. Rant aka Victor Meldrew moment for today over!
Last edited by riocard911 on January 13th, 2023, 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

riocard911 wrote: January 13th, 2023, 1:20 pm
backrower8 wrote: January 13th, 2023, 12:58 pm Should the URC take a leaf out of the Gallagher Premiership / BT Sport's coverage whereby they allow pitchside access to players pre and during matches? The interviews don't add much but you do get the feeling from BT's coverage overall that you are 'inside the ropes'. Their attempts to discuss awkward issues (Farrell's tackle) and people (interviews with Eddie Jones) is admirable. They really are trying to make it work.

I'm all for pre- and post-match interviews. However, I absolutely hate interviews with coaches during the game and interviews with players coming off the pitch at half time. In both cases I think coaches and players in the period between kickoff and the final whistle are doing more than enough, in fact breaking their bollixes, to put on decent show. I therefore find it extremely unfair and onerous to expect them to give Joe Soap in TV land an running update on what's happening, particularly as the latter can already see this with his own eyes. Plus oftentimes the interviews with the coaches during the match are being carried out just as something is happening on the pitch and as such are often an actual distraction from the main event. Rant aka Victor Meldrew moment for today over!
+1

Totally agree and it also dis-enfranchises the paying spectators who are excluded from these elements despite their presence being an essential component of the overall spectacle. Media are intrusive in regard to these matters.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

There is no access in professional football at approaching the highest level that isn't closely managed.
I was doing sound on an interview with an irish international soccer player about nothing to do with football (and we wouldn't be asking about football). Present were someone from the FAI press office, his clubs press office (!), someone from a sponsor and his agent. We had to clear the topic and the questions in advance along with an outline of the piece we were filming
I have Bumbleflex