The Leinster Front Row preview 2021/22

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Re: The Leinster Front Row preview 2021/22

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Ruckedtobits wrote: April 3rd, 2022, 8:17 am For the sake of setting the record straight, Ed Byrne's performance demands mention. A comparison between his performance last night compared with that of Peter Dooley against Connacht certainly confirms that Leocaster / McBride got their decision on the money.

I thought that Byrne's performance was exemplary in scrum, mauls, carrying and tackling. He gave a 45 minute virtuoso display which clearly demonstrated why he is a key part of our Squad. His form had dipped for a couple of months, but last night clearly showed that when on song, he has the skills and bottle to contribute to Leinster forward pack regardless of the opposition.

Well done Ed.
He had a very good game
rugby_fan
Beginner

Post by rugby_fan »

Ruckedtobits wrote: April 3rd, 2022, 8:17 am For the sake of setting the record straight, Ed Byrne's performance demands mention. A comparison between his performance last night compared with that of Peter Dooley against Connacht certainly confirms that Leocaster / McBride got their decision on the money.

I thought that Byrne's performance was exemplary in scrum, mauls, carrying and tackling. He gave a 45 minute virtuoso display which clearly demonstrated why he is a key part of our Squad. His form had dipped for a couple of months, but last night clearly showed that when on song, he has the skills and bottle to contribute to Leinster forward pack regardless of the opposition.

Well done Ed.

Think that’s a very unfair comment on Dooley, to pick out one time that he didn’t have a particularly good game in and compare it!..these things happen sometimes when matches don’t go your way! What about all the matches he’s gave it his all in and worked incredibly hard for the jersey and the club!
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

rugby_fan wrote: April 3rd, 2022, 9:20 am

Well done Ed.

Think that’s a very unfair comment on Dooley, to pick out one time that he didn’t have a particularly good game in and compare it!..these things happen sometimes when matches don’t go your way! What about all the matches he’s gave it his all in and worked incredibly hard for the jersey and the club!
Well we could compare their respective performances against Ulster where Dooley outperformed Byrne by some margin. Ed played well last night. That’s a considerable uptick on his performances this season so far.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Well done Ed.
Touch. I'm possible over sensitive to my criticism of Ed earlier in the season and my lauding of Dooley during the same period. I've certainly highlighted Dooley's worse performance for Leinster this season against Byrne's best. Not a fair comparison.

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Well done Ed.
Touch. I'm possibly over sensitive to my criticism of Ed earlier this season and my lauding of Dooley during the same period. I've certainly highlighted Dooley's worst performance for Leinster this season against Byrne's best. Not a fair comparison.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

He was brilliant last night but he has had games where he hasn't looked good - and its the same for Dooley.

I trust that the coaches know what they’re doing.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Ed was excellent and also made a big impact last week so it’s good to see him coming back to form and he’s certainly a fine player when he’s at his best, but it was only Munster so let’s not carried away just yet.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Avenger wrote: April 3rd, 2022, 10:18 am He was brilliant last night but he has had games where he hasn't looked good - and its the same for Dooley.

I trust that the coaches know what they’re doing.
+1.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Interesting to see Porter admitting that most of the scrum issues have been due him being a novice at loosehead:

https://www.the42.ie/andrew-porter-lein ... =shortlink
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

mildlyinterested wrote: May 25th, 2022, 8:27 am Interesting to see Porter admitting that most of the scrum issues have been due him being a novice at loosehead:

Must be a hell of a job trying to learn it on the fly when you keep facing behemoths. He's not been as rampaging and dynamic in the loose as of late, as he was at the start of the season when he was skittling tacklers and jackaling like a demon. I imagine the rigours of the setpiece are demanding a lot of his energy and attention.
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

mildlyinterested wrote: May 25th, 2022, 8:27 am Interesting to see Porter admitting that most of the scrum issues have been due him being a novice at loosehead:

Has it looked any better when Healy comes on?
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

TrapperChamonix wrote: May 25th, 2022, 1:56 pm

Has it looked any better when Healy comes on?
I think it looks weaker on the other side with Mike A at TH when Healy is at loose.. not sure we've seen much of Healy, Kelleher, Furlong together

either way there is an issue with the leinster scrum.
Last edited by mildlyinterested on May 25th, 2022, 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Porter was penalised a couple of times against Toulouse. Annoyingly on the two occasions I remember, the ref clearly said that it was on the Leinster LH side, and then the replay showed the scrum from the Leinster TH side
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Although this was originally posted in January 2022 in Wales Online, I hadn't seen this interview until I was trying to track what teams we had played against in Europe, when we had Porter, Kelleher & Furlong starting.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 6fTF3zaKyt

No doubt the lads in Leinster saw these comments back in January, although they were in Irish Camp when it was published.

P.S. It's worth noting that this was produced, online, for Welsh fans. I can't find it referenced anywhere in Irish media through January or February.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Ruckedtobits wrote: May 25th, 2022, 5:58 pm Although this was originally posted in January 2022 in Wales Online, I hadn't seen this interview until I was trying to track what teams we had played against in Europe, when we had Porter, Kelleher & Furlong starting.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 6fTF3zaKyt

No doubt the lads in Leinster saw these comments back in January, although they were in Irish Camp when it was published.

P.S. It's worth noting that this was produced, online, for Welsh fans. I can't find it referenced anywhere in Irish media through January or February.
Hadn't seen the article either.
Raises a question.
Are Leinster players working harder since McBryde joined the blue lagoon.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Cheeses of Nazareth
Knowledgeable

Post by Cheeses of Nazareth »

So both being fit, whose the starting hooker next year? Sheehan has made huge strides over the last 6 months since the French 6N game. Kelleher on the other hand hasn’t had a consistent run since the same game but built up an impressive portfolio of performances in the 12-18 months before that.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Cheeses of Nazareth wrote: July 17th, 2022, 5:32 pm So both being fit, whose the starting hooker next year? Sheehan has made huge strides over the last 6 months since the French 6N game. Kelleher on the other hand hasn’t had a consistent run since the same game but built up an impressive portfolio of performances in the 12-18 months before that.
Probably Kelleher but it's not really a big call. It's one of the tighter areas of the squad and there's a case for putting Kelleher in to create a front row of Healy, Kelleher and Bealham or to use Sheehan as an impact sub.

I've always been a fan of the idea of rotation, like the Heinke van der Merwe days. Keep them both fresher that way.
elephantman
Knowledgeable

Post by elephantman »

Cheeses of Nazareth wrote: July 17th, 2022, 5:32 pm So both being fit, whose the starting hooker next year? Sheehan has made huge strides over the last 6 months since the French 6N game. Kelleher on the other hand hasn’t had a consistent run since the same game but built up an impressive portfolio of performances in the 12-18 months before that.
Very, very close but I’d have Sheehan marginally ahead at the moment.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Sheehan looks a better thrower.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

dropkick wrote:Sheehan looks a better thrower.
I was critical of his throwing after the first test (and I still don't think it's something we rank high enough in ireland), but he was excellent in the last two
I have Bumbleflex