Michael Ala'alatoa

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Michael Ala'alatoa

Post by ronk »

Clarkson can pronounce anything he wants to perfectly. Jackman not so much.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

riocard911 wrote: January 23rd, 2022, 1:02 pm Mispronunciation of foreign language names seems to me a particular Anglosphere thing, this idea that the English speaking people are superior, the transmitters of civilisation and that all the lesser cultures should just grin and bear it, while Hurray Henrys like Jeremy Clarkson mangle their names. It's not just yahoos like Bush W. mispronouncing Iran and Iraq as "Eyeran" and "Eyeraq" but also extends to the perennial insistence of shortening and thereby anglicising Irish names - so for example the BBC presenter Fiona Glover suddenly becomes Fi Glover and - spoiler alert - the full name of the character "Cat" Slater from Eastenders is actually Kathleen.
Nope. I've had my name mispronounced on 4 continents in a few languages. It's a pattern recognition thing.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

paddyor wrote: January 24th, 2022, 1:54 pm
riocard911 wrote: January 23rd, 2022, 1:02 pm Mispronunciation of foreign language names seems to me a particular Anglosphere thing, this idea that the English speaking people are superior, the transmitters of civilisation and that all the lesser cultures should just grin and bear it, while Hurray Henrys like Jeremy Clarkson mangle their names. It's not just yahoos like Bush W. mispronouncing Iran and Iraq as "Eyeran" and "Eyeraq" but also extends to the perennial insistence of shortening and thereby anglicising Irish names - so for example the BBC presenter Fiona Glover suddenly becomes Fi Glover and - spoiler alert - the full name of the character "Cat" Slater from Eastenders is actually Kathleen.
Nope. I've had my name mispronounced on 4 continents in a few languages. It's a pattern recognition thing.
Nice one paddy, good to have a name for it. I too have had experience of people from foreign lands struggle to pronounce my name they way I do. The laughs we would have. In one place were I worked for a bit, the bastardised pronounciation became the norm and everyone used it, I even used it myself after a while just in case they thought I was talking about someone else. There would also be the occaisional giggle when I would say one of their names. Good times.
Who knew we were all a bunch of racist b$&%@#ds disrespecting each other all day long?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

There is a difference between getting ones mucking words fuddled, mispronouncing a name through ignorance of how a name is pronounced in a certain language, and willful mispronounciation based on a refusal to make an effort to pronounce it properly. The first two are understandable and rectifiable. The third is racism and/or xenophobia.

I have Bumbleflex
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

I never considered my work colleagues racist or or xenophobic at the time.
I still don't.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Dave Cahill wrote: January 25th, 2022, 8:59 am There is a difference between getting ones mucking words fuddled, mispronouncing a name through ignorance of how a name is pronounced in a certain language, and willful mispronounciation based on a refusal to make an effort to pronounce it properly. The first two are understandable and rectifiable. The third is racism and/or xenophobia.

+1

P.s. Cool track! Hadn't heard her before. Grma!!!
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Dave Cahill wrote: January 25th, 2022, 8:59 am There is a difference between getting ones mucking words fuddled, mispronouncing a name through ignorance of how a name is pronounced in a certain language, and willful mispronounciation based on a refusal to make an effort to pronounce it properly. The first two are understandable and rectifiable. The third is racism and/or xenophobia.

Well yeah, (I'd lean more to xenophobia than outright hatred) but I'm inclined to give people the benefit of the doubt given my own difficulties even with Romance language pronuonication. Like I've had my handle(Paddyor) pronounced PDR because apparently in the native tongue the "Pa" madkes a "Pi" sound. I could see me getting the name in that song wrong but I wouldn't willfully repeat the error if corrected.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

blockhead wrote: January 25th, 2022, 9:18 am https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2022/012 ... -leinster/

Ukulele?
He really is hitting all the right notes to becoming yet another great import to join the team.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

It's important to have another string to your bow
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

ronk wrote: January 25th, 2022, 7:46 pm It's important to have another string to your bow
He's certainly in tune with his fellow props.

Of course that shouldn't be a suprise since he was Formberly a Crusader.

By George, I'll get me coat.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Some Irish people (probably others too, but I don't have as much experience with them) just seem to have a mental block when it comes to pronouncing unfamiliar names and words. There was an Anglo-Irish guy around where I live called Ronaldson, and a lot of people called him "Rollandson". Another thing was I had a lecturer in college called Raftery. Even though that's an Irish name some people still called him "Rafferty". O'Gara calls Vakatawa "Vatakawa". Any number of people spelt Te'o "T'eo". Even BOD, instead of pronouncing it "Nathaywa", calls Isa "Nasseewa". Not everyone is a linguist.

Lots of commentators seem to be calling him Ala Alatoa, as if it's two different words. Surely the apostrophe should be more a glottal stop than a complete pause before a new word.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Tbh, not ever having heard the name before I’d no clue how to pronounce Geoghegan when he burst on the scene
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

leinsterforever wrote: January 25th, 2022, 10:20 pm Some Irish people (probably others too, but I don't have as much experience with them) just seem to have a mental block when it comes to pronouncing unfamiliar names and words. There was an Anglo-Irish guy around where I live called Ronaldson, and a lot of people called him "Rollandson". Another thing was I had a lecturer in college called Raftery. Even though that's an Irish name some people still called him "Rafferty". O'Gara calls Vakatawa "Vatakawa". Any number of people spelt Te'o "T'eo". Even BOD, instead of pronouncing it "Nathaywa", calls Isa "Nasseewa". Not everyone is a linguist.

Lots of commentators seem to be calling him Ala Alatoa, as if it's two different words. Surely the apostrophe should be more a glottal stop than a complete pause before a new word.
That seems like in keeping wtih how we do surnames begining with O'?
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

leinsterforever wrote: January 25th, 2022, 10:20 pm Some Irish people (probably others too, but I don't have as much experience with them) just seem to have a mental block when it comes to pronouncing unfamiliar names and words. There was an Anglo-Irish guy around where I live called Ronaldson, and a lot of people called him "Rollandson". Another thing was I had a lecturer in college called Raftery. Even though that's an Irish name some people still called him "Rafferty". O'Gara calls Vakatawa "Vatakawa". Any number of people spelt Te'o "T'eo". Even BOD, instead of pronouncing it "Nathaywa", calls Isa "Nasseewa". Not everyone is a linguist.

The one that used my eyebrow was Joe Schmidt frequently being called Smith by commentators and by folks in general; and then the way Joe himself would pronounce Samoa (Sam-wa), which I think is closer to the Samoan pronunciation.

Ones I found odd when I moved here all those many moons ago was how Irish people pronounce "H" and film.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

fillum
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: January 26th, 2022, 9:25 amfillum
I still shudder
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

RoboProp wrote: January 26th, 2022, 9:17 am

The one that used my eyebrow was Joe Schmidt frequently being called Smith by commentators and by folks in general; and then the way Joe himself would pronounce Samoa (Sam-wa), which I think is closer to the Samoan pronunciation.

Ones I found odd when I moved here all those many moons ago was how Irish people pronounce "H" and film.
So when you say it "pronounce the H" do you mean it was odd that we actually pronounced it? Unlike say, Londoners, who have dropped it completly.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

There's no haitch in filum. Don't know what you're talking about

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

blockhead wrote: January 26th, 2022, 9:32 am So when you say it "pronounce the H" do you mean it was odd that we actually pronounced it? Unlike say, Londoners, who have dropped it completly.
We don't though, or at least not consistently. Christ died at turty tree! Londoners do what is known as th-fronting - TH basically becomes an 'f' or 'v' sound - Christ died at firty free
I have Bumbleflex