Re: Glasgow Warriors v Leinster Friday 7.35 Premier/TG4

Post by RoboProp »

This thread may need to be split
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

RoboProp wrote: October 27th, 2021, 7:34 pm This thread may need to be split
Steady as she goes there, Mando, the Gaeilge excursion is behind us, I reckon!!! :wink:
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

is duolingo any use for d'auld Gaeilge?
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: October 27th, 2021, 8:50 pm is duolingo any use for d'auld Gaeilge?
Read the previous few posts, it's all there.
Here's a good link.
https://www.duolingo.com/enroll/eo/en/Learn-Esperanto
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

paddyor wrote: October 27th, 2021, 5:36 pm
hugonaut wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 5:59 pm I thought it was a really excellent performance from us, and another example of how the league has changed. I didn't realise quite how big the effect of not playing league games during international windows would have on selections outside those windows.

With the exceptions of the injured James Ryan, Robbie Henshaw, Jonny Sexton and the rested Andrew Porter, that was as strong a matchday 23 as we could field ... so really only one player rotated out for rest.
And we hamnmered them 5-0 as we did Scarlets the week before. THey didn't even look like scoring until Keenans flying double to the head. At the risk of angering the mockers we could have a top seed wrapped up by April and be back to blooding youngsters before the playoffs. The more things change the more they stay the same.

I can see the calls for some kind of byzantine wage cap encompassing 3 currencies, 4 tax codes and 5 unions.
Yeah... 1 month lay off from League , just when we seem to be hitting form ... with the definite risk of Injuries to our front line players...
itll be fingers crossed till lads are back in blue again
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Oldschool wrote: October 26th, 2021, 9:05 pm
hugonaut wrote: October 26th, 2021, 8:35 pm
riocard911 wrote: October 26th, 2021, 6:17 pm In principle I don't think there is any contradiction between rejuvenating Irish and maintaining English as one of two national languages. According to the linguists, acquiring two languages makes acquiring a third or more even easier. Joe Lee was not referring to small European countries such as Denmark and Finland being better off for learning English in addition to their own languages, but rather being better off in particular intellectually compared to Ireland by virtue of preserving and nurturing their respective native tongues.
A link to a précis of a study on this: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 110915.htm

"According to the researchers, these results show that the more languages a person learns, the higher his or her intelligence will be ... fluency and skills in one language assist in the language acquisition of a second language, and possessing skills in two languages can boost the learning process of a third language."
That's not really the issue tho'.
It's what languages should the time be spent on.
For instance I'm learning French for a number of reasons.
One of them (not the main one) being the fact that learning a second language is a very good way of avoiding Senility and/or Alzheimer's.
Teaching Gaelic and the setting up of Scoil Gaelge (there seems to be a concerted push to build more and more of them it would seem.) is fine so long as it's not at the expense of other subjects and especially English given how important that language is to the rest of the world.
We have a huge advantage already in having English as our effective first language it would be stupid to give that up voluntarily.
This is just a silly thing to worry about. There is a 0% change of the population losing the ability to speak English.

Learning Irish at school, even when its also your primary language at home, doesn't mean you get insufficient exposure to English. The English language is doing just fine in Ireland.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Twist wrote: November 11th, 2021, 12:30 pm
Oldschool wrote: October 26th, 2021, 9:05 pm
hugonaut wrote: October 26th, 2021, 8:35 pm

A link to a précis of a study on this: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 110915.htm

"According to the researchers, these results show that the more languages a person learns, the higher his or her intelligence will be ... fluency and skills in one language assist in the language acquisition of a second language, and possessing skills in two languages can boost the learning process of a third language."
That's not really the issue tho'.
It's what languages should the time be spent on.
For instance I'm learning French for a number of reasons.
One of them (not the main one) being the fact that learning a second language is a very good way of avoiding Senility and/or Alzheimer's.
Teaching Gaelic and the setting up of Scoil Gaelge (there seems to be a concerted push to build more and more of them it would seem.) is fine so long as it's not at the expense of other subjects and especially English given how important that language is to the rest of the world.
We have a huge advantage already in having English as our effective first language it would be stupid to give that up voluntarily.
This is just a silly thing to worry about. There is a 0% change of the population losing the ability to speak English.

Learning Irish at school, even when its also your primary language at home, doesn't mean you get insufficient exposure to English. The English language is doing just fine in Ireland.
There are adults attending special classes to learn how to read and write, it's maybe not as silly as you might think.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

If he thinks it's quite ridiculously silly, it's exactly as silly as he thinks. If he doesn't think it's utterly ludicrous, then it's not.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Ok - so 15 day streak on Duolingo, very happily I actually retained an awful lot more than I thought I would have from my schooldays. I even managed to make it through a couple of mornings speaking Gailge with my daughter before going she left for school "cad ba mhaith leat don bricfeasta" (feel free to correct me :D)

but jaysis some of the grammar feels properly complicated. what is there a different way of counting people and things, why is it so complicated to count. I just can't imagine the rural Irish peasant in the 15th century changing up words with the random sheamhú and úru it just feels a bit elitist to me...
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: November 12th, 2021, 12:58 am Ok - so 15 day streak on Duolingo, very happily I actually retained an awful lot more than I thought I would have from my schooldays. I even managed to make it through a couple of mornings speaking Gailge with my daughter before going she left for school "cad ba mhaith leat don bricfeasta" (feel free to correct me :D)

but jaysis some of the grammar feels properly complicated. what is there a different way of counting people and things, why is it so complicated to count. I just can't imagine the rural Irish peasant in the 15th century changing up words with the random sheamhú and úru it just feels a bit elitist to me...
I don't know if elitist is the term I would use. I imagine what you're experiencing is the essential differentness of Irish. The many generations, who created it, saw and understood the world differently to those who created English, Mandarin, Spanish, Arabic etc. Each language is its own cosmos. Go with it; it will make sense eventually and be worth it!
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Fair plé duit OSS!!

You will see that the séimhiús and urús aren't actually random but follow linguistic rules (The tuiseal ginideach and díochlaontaí aren't actually as bad as people make them out to be).
Japanese has hundreds of different counters, depending on the item being counted. We're lucky to only have two!
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Laighin Break wrote: November 12th, 2021, 1:20 pm Fair plé duit OSS!!

You will see that the séimhiús and urús aren't actually random but follow linguistic rules (The tuiseal ginideach and díochlaontaí aren't actually as bad as people make them out to be).
Japanese has hundreds of different counters, depending on the item being counted. We're lucky to only have two!
I remember having to be careful about which way to say 4 in Japanese when I was over there for the world cup, as one way is unlucky and related to death. A bit stressful when our group of 4 wanted beers!
Anyone But New Zealand
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

FLIP wrote: November 12th, 2021, 1:30 pm

I remember having to be careful about which way to say 4 in Japanese when I was over there for the world cup, as one way is unlucky and related to death. A bit stressful when our group of 4 wanted beers!
Were you afraid of saying it right?

4 beers of doom please.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

ronk wrote: November 12th, 2021, 2:26 pm
FLIP wrote: November 12th, 2021, 1:30 pm

Were you afraid of saying it right?

4 beers of doom please.
It's more like asking for death beers. The word shi which is one way of saying 4 in Japanese also means death. So yon is used instead.
Anyone But New Zealand