A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Re: Glasgow Warriors v Leinster Friday 7.35 Premier/TG4

Post by curates_egg »

hugonaut wrote: October 24th, 2021, 7:09 am
leinsterforever wrote: October 24th, 2021, 2:50 am
alanair wrote: October 24th, 2021, 12:26 amMmm..you can only name one that did though … and yes granted he was the biggest cheat ever in world rugby and referees seemed disinclined to sanction him.
Warburton.

Refs are probably less likely to yellow card the captain, so I would argue it's a good idea to make captain the player who has to play on the edge.
Hooper.
Kolisi.
Dusautoir.

Not all of them wore No7, but they are/were all opensides and captains.
Pocock
Pienaar (mainly wore 6, I know)
Matera
Robshaw

Without even trying to think…
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

bronxbull wrote: October 24th, 2021, 4:59 pm Watching that back.
The first Glasgow penalty, Kelleher is tackling and Furlong is trying to rip the ball,Ref says tackler release.
The Glasgow player is still standing up at this time, 2 boys release him clearly and he falls to the ground with no Leinster player touching him.
Leavy alone gets over ball and he blows for not releasing player....
Leavy didn't tackle him! Baffling stuff.
TBF the ref can't be "watching that back" for every play.
You would need a fairly fast highly skilled AI to provide that kind of analysis quickly enough.
It's probably not too far away.
The alternative approach is the four hour long American Football approach.
Maybe every team (The Coach) should be given a few time outs to review incidents like the one you mentioned.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

curates_egg wrote: October 24th, 2021, 5:23 pm
hugonaut wrote: October 24th, 2021, 7:09 am
leinsterforever wrote: October 24th, 2021, 2:50 am

Warburton.

Refs are probably less likely to yellow card the captain, so I would argue it's a good idea to make captain the player who has to play on the edge.
Hooper.
Kolisi.
Dusautoir.

Not all of them wore No7, but they are/were all opensides and captains.
Pocock
Pienaar (mainly wore 6, I know)
Matera
Robshaw

Without even trying to think…
Jaysus lads will ye stop digging.
Angry face is playing at 7 most of the time now.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
bronxbull
Knowledgeable

Post by bronxbull »

Oldschool wrote: October 24th, 2021, 5:35 pm
The first Glasgow penalty, Kelleher is tackling and Furlong is trying to rip the ball,Ref says tackler release.
The Glasgow player is still standing up at this time, 2 boys release him clearly and he falls to the ground with no Leinster player touching him.
You would need a fairly fast highly skilled AI to provide that kind of analysis quickly enough.
Maybe every team (The Coach) should be given a few time outs to review incidents like the one you mentioned.

I've no doubt it is a difficult job and I am not advocating a review of all scoring plays/penalties as the game is delayed enough with video refs.
I thought it was a very poor call by a referee who was standing right beside the play early in the match.
But that is just my opinion.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

bronxbull wrote: October 24th, 2021, 5:44 pm
Oldschool wrote: October 24th, 2021, 5:35 pm

I've no doubt it is a difficult job and I am not advocating a review of all scoring plays/penalties as the game is delayed enough with video refs.
I thought it was a very poor call by a referee who was standing right beside the play early in the match.
But that is just my opinion.
I agree with your assessment of the the particular incident.
Hopefully the refs review such incidents as you have and realize that they had got it wrong and learn from it.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

blockhead wrote: October 24th, 2021, 2:02 pm Who do you think is the "sexiest man in world rugby" now?
Church according to my missus. She may have a type :lol:
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

RoboProp wrote: October 24th, 2021, 9:39 pm
blockhead wrote: October 24th, 2021, 2:02 pm Who do you think is the "sexiest man in world rugby" now?
Type Nordsuyder? I get that!!! 🤣🤣🤣
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

I ‘might’ agree with your wife - I might also have a ‘type’ too
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Xanthippe wrote: October 24th, 2021, 11:17 pm
I ‘might’ agree with your wife - I might also have a ‘type’ too
Knifesmith?
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Gave the game a re-watch, a few things stood out.

Our back three were incredibly busy in open play. Thought all played really well.

WTF is going on with Baird's handling? For a guy who runs like a back, he has developed hands like a Georgian frontrower. Needs to be fixed.

Moloney was really good again. Hope he can continue this form.

Thought Jack C did some really heavy duty carrying.

But perhaps most exciting was Leavy's performance. Back to almost his pre-injury heights.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

wixfjord wrote: October 25th, 2021, 3:57 pm Gave the game a re-watch, a few things stood out.

Our back three were incredibly busy in open play. Thought all played really well.

WTF is going on with Baird's handling? For a guy who runs like a back, he has developed hands like a Georgian frontrower. Needs to be fixed.

But perhaps most exciting was Leavy's performance. Back to almost his pre-injury heights.
IMO, Baird has improved as a second-row this season but his handling has detiorated, both in line-out and open play. I have no idea whether those factors are related but I am generally not a believer in coincidence.

His tackling is much stronger and, in general, lower on both shoulders. His mauling is more abrasive and effective. If he is upright, he makes a real nuisance of himself grappling to clamp on the ball-carrier. If he is in the maul, he is getting lower and driving in a manner like a French forward, trying to break the cohesion of the opposition. He hasn't lost any of his acceleration or agility in open play, but he must take more care of the ball when in possession or when he is receiving the ball.

For me Baird is an anomaly, he almost has the physique to play like Itoje but without as much raw strength but with more acceleration and balance in running. I like to see the improved commitment to work in mauls and hope to see further improvement in scrums where he must stay lower for longer.

At present, I am very happy to see him on the bench for Ireland or Leinster. In that role he should get 30 minutes at least in every game because he has unique skills which can change a game. There are very few forwards in world rugby who have that ability.

Baird is still a very young forward, growing into his strength but maintaining his extraordinary running balance and explosiveness. I will be happy to see both aspects being developed gradually, rather than having to sacrifice either for faster development.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

wixfjord wrote: October 25th, 2021, 3:57 pm Gave the game a re-watch, a few things stood out.

I think this is the first time I’ve agreed with everything you said. Scary!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Ruckedtobits wrote: October 25th, 2021, 6:02 pm

IMO, Baird has improved as a second-row this season but his handling has detiorated, both in line-out and open play. I have no idea whether those factors are related but I am generally not a believer in coincidence.

His tackling is much stronger and, in general, lower on both shoulders. His mauling is more abrasive and effective. If he is upright, he makes a real nuisance of himself grappling to clamp on the ball-carrier. If he is in the maul, he is getting lower and driving in a manner like a French forward, trying to break the cohesion of the opposition. He hasn't lost any of his acceleration or agility in open play, but he must take more care of the ball when in possession or when he is receiving the ball.

For me Baird is an anomaly, he almost has the physique to play like Itoje but without as much raw strength but with more acceleration and balance in running. I like to see the improved commitment to work in mauls and hope to see further improvement in scrums where he must stay lower for longer.

At present, I am very happy to see him on the bench for Ireland or Leinster. In that role he should get 30 minutes at least in every game because he has unique skills which can change a game. There are very few forwards in world rugby who have that ability.

Baird is still a very young forward, growing into his strength but maintaining his extraordinary running balance and explosiveness. I will be happy to see both aspects being developed gradually, rather than having to sacrifice either for faster development.
That's probably a very good assessment of where Baird is at.
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

I re-watched the game, and I’m surprised that Lowe hasn’t got more plaudits . Hi tackling ( yes not a misprint) was really good in most parts , popping up in the 12 and 13 channel as an auxiliary aid to Frawley and Ringrose on numerous occasions. Yes this may have lessened his attaching prowess somewhat, but for , I think the Keenan try, he gave a great offload and put it on a plate for him. It seems, He has been asked to change his game completely and so far looks to me like it’s succeeding.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Good bit of video here from Jackman's Twitter - https://twitter.com/bernardjackman/stat ... 4371105794

We've tended to using the floating winger swinging around from the opposite side of the pitch a lot, but it has gone up a level this year.

Also some good examples here of how good Keenan is. Some player. His running depth and timing is so good.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

wixfjord wrote: October 26th, 2021, 10:39 am Good bit of video here from Jackman's Twitter - https://twitter.com/bernardjackman/stat ... 4371105794

We've tended to using the floating winger swinging around from the opposite side of the pitch a lot, but it has gone up a level this year.

Also some good examples here of how good Keenan is. Some player. His running depth and timing is so good.
Ronan Kelleher has probably been our best winger.
Woodie demonstrate once again that he's not great on the analysis when he pushed the case for Zebo at FB for Ireland.
I'm a Zebo fan but not at FB. Why hurt the overall effectiveness of the team by dumping the best FB in the country to facilitate provincial bias.
Keenan at FB and Zebo on wing, not the other way around.
It reminds me of the BOD to 12 to facilitate Earls at 13.
For What?
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

alanair wrote: October 25th, 2021, 10:15 pm I re-watched the game, and I’m surprised that Lowe hasn’t got more plaudits . Hi tackling ( yes not a misprint) was really good in most parts , popping up in the 12 and 13 channel as an auxiliary aid to Frawley and Ringrose on numerous occasions. Yes this may have lessened his attaching prowess somewhat, but for , I think the Keenan try, he gave a great offload and put it on a plate for him. It seems, He has been asked to change his game completely and so far looks to me like it’s succeeding.
One of the key strategic alterations we made in that game was the positioning of Lowe and Keenan, who switched positions regularly to accommodate their respective skill-strengths. It is most evident when looking at how often Keenan was the primary chaser on box-kicks down the left wing. However it was also apparent that Keenan was in the wing position in defensive positions in mid-field I.e. when Warriors were unlikely to kick. Conversely, Lowe fielded (well) a number of "bomb" kicks in mid-field and on each occasion Keenan was in the wing position and moved to be available to take a counter-attacking pass if Lowe had enough time..

I presume this alteration also suited Lowe's positioning as a left-footed defensive kicker who took pressure off either McGrath or Ross Byrne kicking from defensive rucks - particularly against Jonny Grey who has a long track record of scrum-half blockdowns.

I am surprised that there have been so few comments about this tactical adjustment which I believe also takes pressure off Lowe's defensive frailty in reading the timing to cope with full-back / winger attacking moves on the left wing.

This was another smart tactical adjustment which reflects well on Lancaster / Conteponi / Cullen.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Ruckedtobits wrote: October 26th, 2021, 12:12 pm
alanair wrote: October 25th, 2021, 10:15 pm I re-watched the game, and I’m surprised that Lowe hasn’t got more plaudits . Hi tackling ( yes not a misprint) was really good in most parts , popping up in the 12 and 13 channel as an auxiliary aid to Frawley and Ringrose on numerous occasions. Yes this may have lessened his attaching prowess somewhat, but for , I think the Keenan try, he gave a great offload and put it on a plate for him. It seems, He has been asked to change his game completely and so far looks to me like it’s succeeding.
One of the key strategic alterations we made in that game was the positioning of Lowe and Keenan, who switched positions regularly to accommodate their respective skill-strengths. It is most evident when looking at how often Keenan was the primary chaser on box-kicks down the left wing. However it was also apparent that Keenan was in the wing position in defensive positions in mid-field I.e. when Warriors were unlikely to kick. Conversely, Lowe fielded (well) a number of "bomb" kicks in mid-field and on each occasion Keenan was in the wing position and moved to be available to take a counter-attacking pass if Lowe had enough time..

I presume this alteration also suited Lowe's positioning as a left-footed defensive kicker who took pressure off either McGrath or Ross Byrne kicking from defensive rucks - particularly against Jonny Grey who has a long track record of scrum-half blockdowns.

I am surprised that there have been so few comments about this tactical adjustment which I believe also takes pressure off Lowe's defensive frailty in reading the timing to cope with full-back / winger attacking moves on the left wing.

This was another smart tactical adjustment which reflects well on Lancaster / Conteponi / Cullen.
You can run but you can't hide.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 9:01 am
backrower8 wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 8:41 am
Oldschool wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 10:52 pm
So making an effort to learn the gaelge would be wasted because the commentary still wouldn't make much sense.
Making an effort to spell gaeilge correctly is a choice.
Correct

Bit of a a tangent here: the fact that after 14 years of education in Irish only 6.3% of the population use it on a weekly basis has to be more of a reflection on our education system than on us.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Status_ ... h_language
Probably for another thread, but I don't see how the education system is to blame for the lack of opportunities to use Irish when people leave have left school.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Laighin Break wrote: October 26th, 2021, 2:58 pm
Oldschoolsocks wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 9:01 am
backrower8 wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 8:41 am

Making an effort to spell gaeilge correctly is a choice.
Correct

Bit of a a tangent here: the fact that after 14 years of education in Irish only 6.3% of the population use it on a weekly basis has to be more of a reflection on our education system than on us.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Status_ ... h_language
Probably for another thread, but I don't see how the education system is to blame for the lack of opportunities to use Irish when people leave have left school.
TBH we're lucky, that to date at least, the Irish Free State has failed to replace English as the first language of choice in this country. Long may it last.
Millions of people have emigrated from this country with one very powerful advantage ie the ability to speak English.
When it comes to a choice to learn a foreign language my choice would be for a foreign language rather than Gaelge.
I'm currently learning French because I never got the chance in school to learn a foreign language except for another dead language, Latin which at least has the advantage of being the root of many French and English words.
Duo is a great App for languages.