Glasgow Warriors v Leinster Friday 7.35 Premier/TG4

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

FLIP
Seán Cronin

Re: Glasgow Warriors v Leinster Friday 7.35 Premier/TG4

Post by FLIP »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 11:43 pm
nc6000 wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 11:34 pm I thought JGP went to push Horne's shoulder but he half missed and made slight contact with his face which Horne overreacted to.
I reckon Nigel would have said something along the lines of "We're not playing soccer here boys, DON'T let me see that again!!!"
With a dive like that and pretending that JGP had gouged him I would have at least hoped that Owens would have carded him for unsportsmanlike conduct.
Anyone But New Zealand
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

Hard to decide which was his most ridiculous decision but in the end I'll plump for the penalty against Keenan followed closely by the first Glasgow try with Conan's yellow card making the podium. Disappointment for the supporters of offside call on Moloney and the Glasgow 3 pointer, both of which would have romped home on any other day
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

ronk wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 11:48 pm
Oldschool wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 10:52 pm
Laighin Break wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 10:42 pm The commentary on TG4 was fairly useless today. Baird & Doris were both Baird, Leavy was Molony at one point and Osbourne was a second Frawley.
That and giving incorrect explanations of why penalties were awarded
So making an effort to learn the gaelge would be wasted because the commentary still wouldn't make much sense.
Those are bad eyesight errors. Doris and Baird were wearing the same scrum caps.

Osbourne and Frawley are lanky ginger backs.

If you didn’t understand the language you would still pick out why he said Baird so so many times while they were showing a close up of Doris.
Yeah but Baird and Doris are totally different sizes and shapes and the ginger lads are at opposite ends of the unwanted step-child spectrum.

PLUS there are actually different numbers on their shirts.
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

Glasgow 1st try was a clear penalty to us. "try scorer" clearly not the last man in the ruck not to mention being off his feet. How the ref, touch judge and TMO all managed to miss both is incredible.

Ross Byrne had his best game in a long time.

Hopefully Keenan made the red eyed media realise that he is miles ahead of zebo for the Ireland 15 spot.

Leavy's best performance since his injury - more to come from him.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 11:53 pm
So making an effort to learn the gaelge would be wasted because the commentary still wouldn't make much sense.
Those are bad eyesight errors. Doris and Baird were wearing the same scrum caps.

If you didn’t understand the language you would still pick out why he said Baird so so many times while they were showing a close up of Doris.
Yeah but Baird and Doris are totally different sizes and shapes and the ginger lads are at opposite ends of the unwanted step-child spectrum.

I dunno OSS, all ginger's look alike to me.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Barry wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 11:57 pm Glasgow 1st try was a clear penalty to us. "try scorer" clearly not the last man in the ruck not to mention being off his feet. How the ref, touch judge and TMO all managed to miss both is incredible.

Ross Byrne had his best game in a long time.

Hopefully Keenan made the red eyed media realise that he is miles ahead of zebo for the Ireland 15 spot.

Leavy's best performance since his injury - more to come from him.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
Almost as bad as the missed knock on shortly before the, also shocking, penalty against Keenan.

I was gonna say you can’t let that get in the way, but it didn’t stop a big away win.

I haven’t seen any Zebo at fullback boosting. If there is it’s probably from people who wouldn’t know any better. Keenan was everywhere, especially the way he arrives decisively on counter attacks.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

nc6000 wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 11:34 pm I thought JGP went to push Horne's shoulder but he half missed and made slight contact with his face which Horne overreacted to.
Horne made an absolute dogs dinner out of it....as if he had just lost an eye and then fine 2 seconds later. Off to soccer methinks.
Last edited by Blueberry on October 23rd, 2021, 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Moving on from the ref nonsense, thought that was a serious performance across the park. There is a whiff of gym bulking off the entire pack, they just look more physical across the board and we have two exceptional hookers coming into their prime. Molony is playing some great rugby. Serious weapons though those two hookers. Keenan had a super game and thought Ringrose was sublime, constantly snuffing out Glasgow layered moves with ease. Ross totally assured and accurate in everything he did, he is a super 10 to have, you know exactly what you are going to get with him.

Tougher challenges lie ahead but that performance bodes well.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

RoboProp wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 9:26 pm
the spoofer wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 9:18 pm Jim Hamilton is a gobshite
Bit unfair on gobshites that
This. Btw :)
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

When Jim Hamilton is telling you that the crowd is influencing the ref you know it's a bad sign.

Not a great reffing performance but a pretty impressive one in attack and defense. Staggeringly fast ball at times. Haven't seen it mentioned but Conan looking really impressive on the carry. Always beating a defender and several times flattening backs completely.
Great to see Leavy get through a game with only a serious bash on the nose judging by the shiners appearing under both eyes to worry about.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Laighin Break wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 10:42 pm The commentary on TG4 was fairly useless today. Baird & Doris were both Baird, Leavy was Molony at one point and Osbourne was a second Frawley.
Unfortunately we got their bargain basement production yesterday - coverage started 5 minutes before kick-off with a pre-recorded intro from Máire-Treasa, there was no one in studio and we had their B Team on comms (who also did the HT "analysis")..

TG4 obviously have a much smaller group to pick from but they're usually much better (and more knowledgeable) than yesterday. They actually had Colm de Buitléir in one of the week's which was great.

I would fully encourage you to make an effort Gaeilge a fhoghlaim either way!
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

alanair wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 10:49 pm
Fortunately I have access to Premier Sport . I hate watching on TG4 . Youre right , the commentators Law knowledge is ‘patchy’ to say the least … I often have thought that they should have. ‘Red button’ type option with english commentary . Im sure this would pull in a far bigger audience & consequent Ad revenue.
Nope. It's bad enough having Marcus Horan giving us his (insightful) insights in english - and seemingly making no effort to learn Irish - it would be terrible if they offered full commentary in english
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

hugonaut wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 10:02 pm
blockhead wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 9:45 pm Nah. JCB shoves him with his elbow to yer mans shoulder but in slips off and he makes some kind of contact with his face. He didn't mean to make face contact but he did. Glad we got away with the yellow TBH.
Only saw last 1/2 hour so cant comment on big Jim but he's a welcome addition to the co-comms pot in this league. He's a big name in rugby podcasting with the RugbyPod and mere presence brings more attention to this league and it needs every bit it can get.
Yeah, I like Jim Hamilton. I think he's good. People can have different opinions!
+1

For me Hamilton was an on-field prat that off-field is a good analyst and podcaster. I actually thought that he and the commentator were overly gushing about Leinster from very early on. It was the truth but it told this viewer that only one team was going to win it and so you didn't have to watch it to know the outcome - which is unusual for broadcasters and very odd for a new channel promoting a 'new' league.

I found Kearney's delivery very boring. I guess he is early in his punditry career.
Last edited by backrower8 on October 23rd, 2021, 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Making an effort to spell gaeilge correctly is a choice.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 11:53 pm

Osbourne is not even close to being ginger, not even strawberry blond #specsavers
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

backrower8 wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 8:41 am
Correct

Bit of a a tangent here: the fact that after 14 years of education in Irish only 6.3% of the population use it on a weekly basis has to be more of a reflection on our education system than on us.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Status_ ... h_language
Last edited by Oldschoolsocks on October 23rd, 2021, 9:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

If you are a Leinster supporters or just a fan of good rugby, give yourself a treat and find a recording of this, with or without commentary.

For starters, Glasgow are a decent team and will win many matches in this league and, possibly, make the top four. Leinster's performance was skillful and up-tempo. They have talent across every position and their execution of passing, supporting, footwork, off-loading, tackling and clearing-out at pace was a joy to behold. Even without the ball they attack and on numerous occasions their defensive pace and ferocity drove Warriors backwards until they inevitably knocked on or kicked the ball back to us.

Every Leinster player contributed and no doubt every poster will be emphasising what their own favorite contributed but, be assured, every comment is valid because this was a great team performance.

I've been fortunate enough to see a bit of Top 14 this season, including last week's Lyon v Toulouse game. Nobody in Europe is playing better than Leinster last night. Toulouse, Harlequins, Bordeaux and Saints are all playing 15-man attacking rugby at present but none of them, as yet, have reached the same non-stop tempo as Leinster in both attack and defence.

Well done Leo and all the Squad and Coaches. A great way to sign-off this opening sector of the Season.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Leavy's contribution was the biggest outcome of the match for me. Great to see him comfortably deal with that physicality.

He does things that few backs and fewer forwards can do, principally make things happen out of very little opportunity. He also tidies up so much stuff, resetting moves that are breaking down while reinjecting go-foward momentum at the same time.

He also has top-end leadership qualities that are lacking at international level outside of Johnny (who's abilities are flawed as he gets under referee's skin) and POM (who is fading and should not have got another cenrtral contract). Ruddock, Molony and Luke are all good at Club level.

My one reservation about him now is his speed for the 7 jersey. I am not sure, but I think he would be the slowest of the 4 Leinster opensides.

He is unique and would already enhance any national 23. If he stays injury free he belongs in the 15.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 9:01 am
backrower8 wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 8:41 am
Correct
Your spelling of correct endorses my point. :clap:

Whether you choose to use it or not is one, thing. Not spelling gaeilge correctly at any age past 10 is another matter.
Last edited by backrower8 on October 23rd, 2021, 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

backrower8 wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 9:04 am Leavy's contribution was the biggest outcome of the match for me. Great to see him comfortably deal with that physicality.

He does things that few backs and fewer forwards can do, principally make things happen out of very little opportunity. He also tidies up so much stuff, resetting moves that are breaking down while reinjecting go-foward momentum at the same time.

He also has top-end leadership qualities that are lacking at international level outside of Johnny (who's abilities are flawed as he gets under referee's skin) and POM (who is fading and should not have got another cenrtral contract). Ruddock, Molony and Luke are all good at Club level.

My one reservation about him now is his speed for the 7 jersey. I am not sure, but I think he would be the slowest of the 4 Leinster opensides.

He is unique and would already enhance any national 23. If he stays injury free he belongs in the 15.
Yeah, Leavy was brilliant. How good was VdF when he came in too. We are so well stocked in the back row right now. It’s awesome.