Ulster Away Rescheduled Round 9 Game Sat Mar 12 7:35pm Premier Sports & TG4

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

ULSTER

Re: Ulster Away Rescheduled Round 9 Game Sat Mar 12 7:35pm Premier Sports & TG4

Post by ULSTER »

the spoofer wrote: March 12th, 2022, 10:41 pm
ULSTER wrote: March 12th, 2022, 10:06 pm
the spoofer wrote: March 12th, 2022, 9:53 pm You had commentary about how come Lowry wasn’t in Twickenham. Did they watch the game today?
I did, and I know I'm biased, but he played very well this evening, even considering the conditions. It was always going to be a tough game, conditions wise, but Ulster held out, and whoever won deserved the win.

I'm laughing at all the comments about Frank Murphy. Ulster were pinged off the park in the first half. I don't know what game you lot were watching, but it can't have been this one.

Anyway, lads. You will likely still finish top. The conditions meant Ulster could never have taken the 5 points on offer but, even still, you will finish top.

Getting back to Lowry .... a class player, and your bitterness betrays your bitternes.
Keenan was mam of the match today. Why would we have needed Lowry?

And Lowry was MOTM for Ulster. It was your comment on how Lowry played today that drew my response, not that he should have replaced Keenan.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Dave Cahill wrote: March 12th, 2022, 10:44 pm The try was checked by the TMO, all tries are - he gave the all clear before the conversion.

@leinsterrugby
35 | second try for Ulster scored by Lowry but TMO check for a forward pass in the build-up...

Referee is happy, conversion missed by Doak so score is now 15-10 to the home side

#ULSvLEI #URC

I think that it was forward myself, but it was checked.

I don't like Murphy as a ref, not because I think he's biased in any way, but because he - surprisingly for a former pro scrum half - appears to have no appreciation for momentuum or pacing in a game and how to apply a light touch to maintain it.
I disagree Dave. I think he is biased. Other refs are incompetent (Adamson, Whitehouse) but Frank just favours teams playing against Leinster. It’s like the scorpion and the frog.
ULSTER

Post by ULSTER »

LeinsterLeader wrote: March 12th, 2022, 10:48 pm
Xanthippe wrote: March 12th, 2022, 10:35 pm
LeinsterLeader wrote: March 12th, 2022, 10:31 pm
In fairness I think if you read back most people have not been disingenuous towards Lowry tonight (quite the opposite in fact). Lowry's time for Ireland will come but I think for most people the one thing Ireland didn't need today was a different full-back. Keenan was probably Irelands best player especially when we were struggling. I don't think that reflects badly on Lowry or his performance tonight.

I don't think anyone is bitter about Lowry. He seems to be a very nice guy and is liked by most supporters.
I agree - mind you that didn’t stop me screaming “someone hit the little b$&%@#d” every time he got the ball :twisted:
Ah yeah well that's allowed, obviously :wink:
All is fair in love and war :D
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Dave Cahill wrote: March 12th, 2022, 10:44 pm The try was checked by the TMO, all tries are - he gave the all clear before the conversion.

@leinsterrugby
35 | second try for Ulster scored by Lowry but TMO check for a forward pass in the build-up...

Referee is happy, conversion missed by Doak so score is now 15-10 to the home side

#ULSvLEI #URC

I think that it was forward myself, but it was checked.

I don't like Murphy as a ref, not because I think he's biased in any way, but because he - surprisingly for a former pro scrum half - appears to have no appreciation for momentuum or pacing in a game and how to apply a light touch to maintain it.
The Penny penalty was a good example of that I think. Don’t think Ulster appealed for it or even knew why it had it been given at first.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Dave Cahill wrote: March 12th, 2022, 8:24 pm Stupid penalties and stupid offloads are killing us
Offloads should be like shot selections and not the default, when nothing else is on ah sure offload it.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

the spoofer wrote: March 12th, 2022, 9:58 pm
Lock9541 wrote: March 12th, 2022, 9:56 pm
the spoofer wrote: March 12th, 2022, 9:53 pm You had commentary about how come Lowry wasn’t in Twickenham. Did they watch the game today?
We still would’ve won today with Lowry he has more flare IMO. I still agree Keenan should be starting tho with Lowry on bench. Keenan doesn’t deserve to be dropped he’s been superb. But I think Lowry should be on Bench
Instead of who?
We could go 7/1 on the bench with Lowry the 23.
He can cover all the back positions with a bit of practice at 9.
Maybe a bit of work on peno taking.
Although Joe McCarthy or Baird could maybe take up place kicking. Beirne has shown a bit of kicking skill too.
Good night.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

Too many are reading into Ulster’s ability and non ability in matching us off a game that had horrendous conditions. This is a game tonight to not mark any cards on where teams are at. To me Ulster looked solid at the end and bar the leavy near try didn’t look in too much bother from us. Same could be said for us, in saying that joe McCarthy again out in a huge shift and Dooley looked as good as he did last season. Great to see Deegan getting better with every game played.

For me Luke is just going backwards and is getting poorer. Previously when he wasn’t picked for Ireland we would see a rise in his game but that just isn’t happening this season. God help us if JGP gets injured.

On the ref, I actually thought tonight’s game was one of franks better ones. The guy loves himself and normally can’t get out of the way of making a game worse. In saying that some of his decisions and some non decisions continue to frustrate. The line out at the end was a pure example. I have no issue with a ref reffing that area as long as it’s done all game and to both teams, why he suddenly decided to do it in the dying minutes boogles my mind.

LeRoux I like you really enjoyed the game tonight, it was a real slug fest, unfortunately we just came out on the wrong side
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

Theleinsterlad wrote: March 12th, 2022, 11:38 pm Too many are reading into Ulster’s ability and non ability in matching us off a game that had horrendous conditions. This is a game tonight to not mark any cards on where teams are at. To me Ulster looked solid at the end and bar the leavy near try didn’t look in too much bother from us. Same could be said for us, in saying that joe McCarthy again out in a huge shift and Dooley looked as good as he did last season. Great to see Deegan getting better with every game played.

For me Luke is just going backwards and is getting poorer. Previously when he wasn’t picked for Ireland we would see a rise in his game but that just isn’t happening this season. God help us if JGP gets injured.

On the ref, I actually thought tonight’s game was one of franks better ones. The guy loves himself and normally can’t get out of the way of making a game worse. In saying that some of his decisions and some non decisions continue to frustrate. The line out at the end was a pure example. I have no issue with a ref reffing that area as long as it’s done all game and to both teams, why he suddenly decided to do it in the dying minutes boogles my mind.

LeRoux I like you really enjoyed the game tonight, it was a real slug fest, unfortunately we just came out on the wrong side
If JGP gets injured we don’t need Gods help as Fintan Gunne will help us in the future he’s a terrific lil player. For sure a player to look out for he’s one of the best schools players I’ve seen in a long time his all round game is perfect including his tackling and he’s a terrific kicker off the tee. I know I shouldn’t be talking up a schools player like this but he is the real deal.
Colmodon
Bookworm

Post by Colmodon »

Made my first trip to Ravenhill for that. Had a great time in fairness and it was a proper contest. Luke's game management at the end of the first half was absolutely appalling. Having your captain not appreciate there is only three seconds left in the half, and then put in an awful kick which leads to 3 points for Ulster in a tight game - criminal.

Another huge shift for Big Joe. Very noticeable that Dev came on for Ross (so often the guy we've relied on for big moments in tight interpros).

Dooley - what more can you say - a gargantuan shift from him. Very sorry to see him go but expect he will push for Ireland caps in Connacht.

I would have taken 4-1 pre match with no hesitation. Could have nicked it, but don't really think we had much opportunity to score beyond the ones we got.
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

A tough game in tough condition's. Ulster are in form at the moment and were close to a full strength squad which is why I thought the bookies were a bit stingy on the odds.. If I was a Ulster fan I would be disappointed that they weren't able to do more damage to our seconds. That we got a losing bonus and could have stolen it should be worrying for Ulster but is a sign of how strong our depth is
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Leinster may have lost that game but I think they broke the world record for knock ons.

Could have won that game without the butter fingers.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Enjoyed Berch on Premier Sports getting excited about Ulster 1sts scraping home against our 2nds - 'a real step up for Ulster'.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Theleinsterlad wrote: March 12th, 2022, 11:38 pmLeRoux I like you really enjoyed the game tonight, it was a real slug fest, unfortunately we just came out on the wrong side
Agree 100%. That sort of game is invaluable, especially for the pack.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Colmodon wrote: March 13th, 2022, 8:07 am Made my first trip to Ravenhill for that. Had a great time in fairness and it was a proper contest. Luke's game management at the end of the first half was absolutely appalling. Having your captain not appreciate there is only three seconds left in the half, and then put in an awful kick which leads to 3 points for Ulster in a tight game - criminal.

100% agree. As usual I didn’t think he was bad as others seemed to, in fact I thought he had a good first half. There were a couple of really terrible kicks in the second half but they didn’t bother me anywhere near as much as that one you’re talking about it. Even if it had stayed in play, what was the point? It reminded me of the final in Newcastle, did not expect that to happen again and think he’s fully to blame for this one.

I might be mixing up my penalties but I think that was the one where McCarthy got done for being off his feet. It was hard to see but it looked good to me.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

We were 5 points down for almost a full half. We had chances and some decent positions. A bit more patience and a focus on slowly reeling them in would have got them I think.

In the conditions I understand why we might not have attempted drop goals, but I think it's something we just don't have in our armoury.
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

The conditions were appalling. Cannot remember getting as soaked as much at at game.
In addition to the rain the wind was sweeping down the pitch.
I actually thought the ball handling on both sides was exceptional.
lowry was the difference, superb performance.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: March 13th, 2022, 11:39 am
Colmodon wrote: March 13th, 2022, 8:07 am Made my first trip to Ravenhill for that. Had a great time in fairness and it was a proper contest. Luke's game management at the end of the first half was absolutely appalling. Having your captain not appreciate there is only three seconds left in the half, and then put in an awful kick which leads to 3 points for Ulster in a tight game - criminal.

100% agree. As usual I didn’t think he was bad as others seemed to, in fact I thought he had a good first half. There were a couple of really terrible kicks in the second half but they didn’t bother me anywhere near as much as that one you’re talking about it. Even if it had stayed in play, what was the point? It reminded me of the final in Newcastle, did not expect that to happen again and think he’s fully to blame for this one.

I might be mixing up my penalties but I think that was the one where McCarthy got done for being off his feet. It was hard to see but it looked good to me.
He was good in first half when he played/the conditions allowed him to play the game he's good at - controlling the pack with one off runners and occasionally sniping himself.

He was really poor in the second half when he played/the conditions forced him to play the game he's really not good at - box kicking and long kicking.
The one he put into their 22 for a handy mark and the one out on the full were particularly bad, but there were quite a few poor kicks.

If he could kick and pass he'd be some scrum-half.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Watched the game after a few beers , was a hard fought match with both sides really getting stuck into each other

I know the conditions were awful but I thought you could have gone wider a few times when you were attacking the ulster line, can't fault the effort and commitment on both sides but Lowry aside defences were well on top

He really is a terrific player and with him and keenan your well stocked at 15 for a long time
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Fireworks wrote: March 13th, 2022, 8:44 am A tough game in tough condition's. Ulster are in form at the moment and were close to a full strength squad which is why I thought the bookies were a bit stingy on the odds.. If I was a Ulster fan I would be disappointed that they weren't able to do more damage to our seconds. That we got a losing bonus and could have stolen it should be worrying for Ulster but is a sign of how strong our depth is
Don't think it's fair to refer to them as seconds. You win trophies with the squad, we've been doing that for years. Lads like Rhys or Benty have arguably been our most important squad players in recent times.

For me, the real shame with this is the timing of the fixture. Leinster vs Ulster is a big Irish derby (the biggest one for me personally) and has been played in front of 50k people, it should be a showcase occasion for the League not on the aftercard of an international.

Fair play to Ulster though, they've done us twice this season, credit to them.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Flash Gordon wrote: March 14th, 2022, 11:19 am
Fireworks wrote: March 13th, 2022, 8:44 am A tough game in tough condition's. Ulster are in form at the moment and were close to a full strength squad which is why I thought the bookies were a bit stingy on the odds.. If I was a Ulster fan I would be disappointed that they weren't able to do more damage to our seconds. That we got a losing bonus and could have stolen it should be worrying for Ulster but is a sign of how strong our depth is
Don't think it's fair to refer to them as seconds. You win trophies with the squad, we've been doing that for years. Lads like Rhys or Benty have arguably been our most important squad players in recent times.

For me, the real shame with this is the timing of the fixture. Leinster vs Ulster is a big Irish derby (the biggest one for me personally) and has been played in front of 50k people, it should be a showcase occasion for the League not on the aftercard of an international.

Fair play to Ulster though, they've done us twice this season, credit to them.
4 academy players: 1 making his debut on an emergency last minute basis.

1 starter (and that only because he's been ahead of a player with the international squad).

It was a top of the table clash and released internationals were decisive. I'm not saying it was unfair or making excuses, we had our chances.

It was a rescheduled match so it's not like they did this deliberately, both teams were able to field strong teams capable of playing a high level of rugby.