Leinster vs Emirates Lions, Friday 25.02.22 19:35 @ The RDS

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Leinster vs Emirates Lions, Friday 25.02.22 19:35 @ The RDS

Post by hugonaut »

The Lions have been poor since the start of the season and are the runt of the South African litter. They have only won two games thus far [26-38 @ Zebre in Round 1 and 19-37 @ Stormers in Round 5] and it is difficult to see them providing a real threat to Leinster in the RDS.

There's a couple of players whose names are familiar on their roster - winger Rabz Maxwane, centre Burger Odendaal, flanker Willem Alberts and tighthead Jannie du Plessis – but the latter two are 37 and 39 respectively and are deep into the winter of their respective careers. Former Munster academy centre Matt More is also a name that some on the board might remember.

I think the team for this is relatively uncomplicated and almost picks itself. We will be missing Keenan, Ringrose, Henshaw, Sexton, Gibson-Park, Conan, Doris, van der Flier, Ryan, Furlong, Sheahan and Porter [12] on Irish duty; in all likelihood Healy, Baird, Larmour and Lowe [4] will also return to the Irish squad this week for the Italy game.

Then there are injured players who are out of contention: Kelleher, Leavy, Connors, Frawley, Conor O'Brien, Mike Milne [6]. So we will be short 22 players at least. The priority is obviously to score a couple of early tries, break their spirit for the game, get the bonus point and then bang in as many points as possible.

Forwards: Dooley, Tracy, Ala'alatoa, Molony, J. McCarthy[A], Ruddock, Penny, Deegan
Backs: McGrath, R. Byrne, Kearney, H. Byrne, O'Loughlin, A.Byrne, J. O'Brien
Subs: Cronin, E. Byrne, Abdeladze, Toner, Moloney [A], N. McCarthy, Osbourne [A], T. O'Brien
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Re: Leinster vs Emirates Lions, Friday 25.02.22 19:35 @ The RDS

Post by LeinsterLeader »

May not have JOB now as he's been called up to Ireland. Great for him, (and well deserved) but bad for us.
Colmodon
Knowledgeable

Post by Colmodon »

I think it means Jamie O starts at 15 and we go 6-2 on the bench with someone like Soroka coming in. We may also see Dunne again rather than Toner. I wonder where we might start to see McKee or Barron replace Cronin on the bench. Will need to give them their baptism before he hangs them up at the end of the year
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/connors-su ... ee-injury/

Connors out for the season.

Rory O'Loughlin missed the match through illness, Vakh picked up a neck strain in the Edinburgh match.

Leavy back training and moves into the "week too soon" bracket.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Colmodon wrote: February 21st, 2022, 12:00 pm I think it means Jamie O starts at 15 and we go 6-2 on the bench with someone like Soroka coming in. We may also see Dunne again rather than Toner. I wonder where we might start to see McKee or Barron replace Cronin on the bench. Will need to give them their baptism before he hangs them up at the end of the year
It could be that we have four second rows involved in the matchday squad, as we are heavier there than in most other positions – Toner, Molony, Dunne, Josh Murphy, Charlie Ryan, Brian Deeny and Joe McCarthy.

That would actually make a lot of sense, because it would allow us to take Ross Molony off early in the second half and give him a bit of a break. He has put in a lot of minutes for us this season – he must be way out in front of everybody else on that count.

We are losing Josh Murphy to Connacht and Jack Dunne to Exeter next season, so [given the opposition], it makes sense to put in a couple of players who can benefit from the experience and from whom Leinster will benefit from getting the experience. So perhaps start Molony and McCarthy together and then bring Toner and Deeny on for them in the second half.
Last edited by hugonaut on February 21st, 2022, 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

hugonaut wrote: February 21st, 2022, 2:12 pm That would actually make a lot of sense, because it would allow us to take Ross Molony off early in the second half and give him a bit of a break. He has put in a lot of minutes for us this season – he must be way out in front of everybody else on that count.
Correct, he's played more minutes than anyone else this season. Good bit ahead of the player in second.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Do we need to rest Mike? Seems he’s been and will be busy to end of season. Like could we move him to the bench and start the replacement?
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Due to unforeseen circumstances relating to their travel document requirements, brothers Vincent and Emmanuel Tshituka will no longer make the trip to Dublin for their team’s Vodacom United Rugby Championship fixture against Leinster on Friday, 25 February at the RDS Arena.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

deco wrote: February 21st, 2022, 10:18 pm Due to unforeseen circumstances relating to their travel document requirements, brothers Vincent and Emmanuel Tshituka will no longer make the trip to Dublin for their team’s Vodacom United Rugby Championship fixture against Leinster on Friday, 25 February at the RDS Arena.
A second row and flanker respectively. The Lions have buckets of locks so it shouldn't be a big issue for them.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

deco wrote: February 21st, 2022, 10:18 pm Due to unforeseen circumstances relating to their travel document requirements, brothers Vincent and Emmanuel Tshituka will no longer make the trip to Dublin for their team’s Vodacom United Rugby Championship fixture against Leinster on Friday, 25 February at the RDS Arena.
No vax pass?
Have they traveled previously this season?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

hugonaut wrote: February 21st, 2022, 2:12 pm
Colmodon wrote: February 21st, 2022, 12:00 pm I think it means Jamie O starts at 15 and we go 6-2 on the bench with someone like Soroka coming in. We may also see Dunne again rather than Toner. I wonder where we might start to see McKee or Barron replace Cronin on the bench. Will need to give them their baptism before he hangs them up at the end of the year
It could be that we have four second rows involved in the matchday squad, as we are heavier there than in most other positions – Toner, Molony, Dunne, Josh Murphy, Charlie Ryan, Brian Deeny and Joe McCarthy.

That would actually make a lot of sense, because it would allow us to take Ross Molony off early in the second half and give him a bit of a break. He has put in a lot of minutes for us this season – he must be way out in front of everybody else on that count.

We are losing Josh Murphy to Connacht and Jack Dunne to Exeter next season, so [given the opposition], it makes sense to put in a couple of players who can benefit from the experience and from whom Leinster will benefit from getting the experience. So perhaps start Molony and McCarthy together and then bring Toner and Deeny on for them in the second half.
Deeny is injured afaik.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

mildlyinterested wrote: February 22nd, 2022, 9:41 am

Deeny is injured afaik.
That's a pity. What's up with him, do you know? Injury that requires surgery?

We could go with Dev and Josh Murphy, or Dev and Jack Dunne, on the bench. Or as Colmodon suggested, Soroka could come into the mix. I would still like to see McCarthy start beside Molony, I think it would be a good match for him.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

hugonaut wrote: February 22nd, 2022, 11:10 am
mildlyinterested wrote: February 22nd, 2022, 9:41 am

Deeny is injured afaik.
That's a pity. What's up with him, do you know? Injury that requires surgery?

We could go with Dev and Josh Murphy, or Dev and Jack Dunne, on the bench. Or as Colmodon suggested, Soroka could come into the mix. I would still like to see McCarthy start beside Molony, I think it would be a good match for him.
No idea what the injury is, he has been out awhile, hopefully nearing a return.
SilverSurfer
Knowledgeable

Post by SilverSurfer »

Can you still buy tickets for games at the gate these days? Just wondering if I call up with kids in tow for this match can I buy tickets?
Thanks.
There are two types of people in the world, those who think there are two types of people in the world and those that don't.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

SilverSurfer wrote: February 22nd, 2022, 11:17 am Can you still buy tickets for games at the gate these days? Just wondering if I call up with kids in tow for this match can I buy tickets?
Thanks.
yep afaik
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

If you go onto the leinsterrugby.ie website you can buy tickets online I think
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Wow, just realised that Friday is our last ‘scheduled’ game in the RDS this season - that seems absolutely mad. Obviously, if we make the quarter and semi finals we could choose to play there but for the moment that’s us finished 😢
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Xanthippe wrote:Wow, just realised that Friday is our last ‘scheduled’ game in the RDS this season - that seems absolutely mad. Obviously, if we make the quarter and semi finals we could choose to play there but for the moment that’s us finished Image
That's mad, Ted

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

Xanthippe wrote: February 22nd, 2022, 10:37 pm Wow, just realised that Friday is our last ‘scheduled’ game in the RDS this season - that seems absolutely mad. Obviously, if we make the quarter and semi finals we could choose to play there but for the moment that’s us finished 😢
Has anyone told Ed Sheeran?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Sounds like Leavy will be playing this weekend.