Dan Leavy retires

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Dan Leavy retires

Post by artaneboy »

Really sad for him especially. He really was a special player. He has done and achieved a huge amount in a short few years, but most certainly could have done much, much more.

I hope he has a happy retirement and recovers completely from that injury to allow him to pursue an active athletic life. Because he was some competitor! I can’t see him forsaking challenge physically and mentally.

Huge loss to Leinster and Ireland also, of course; but that’s secondary. Good luck Dan and thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by artaneboy on April 5th, 2022, 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Re: Dan Leavy retires

Post by Blue not red blood »

Some very genuine heartfelt and lovely words written on previous posts.
just wanted to add my best wishes in his new career and thanks for the great memories
Colmodon
Bookworm

Post by Colmodon »

There was a sequence of games between 2016 and 2018 where it felt like whenever Leinster were in a hole and needed someone to step up, Dan would inevitably come up with the turnover, the link pass, the offload or the try. An absolutely ferocious competitor, and I am absolutely gutted we won't get to see him play again. Scary to think he only played 85 odd senior games, and yet had the impact he did. A crying shame.

Thanks for all the memories Dan, the joy you brought us in blue and green, you'll be sorely missed!
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
JohnB
Graduate

Post by JohnB »

Dan, has been an absolutely fabulous player for Leinster and Ireland. It's a real pity that circumstances have denied him the chance to play for longer. However, hopefully he has a long life ahead of ahead of him outside rugby and better then for him to enjoy a healthy and unrestricted mobility in the years to come. The intelligence, ability and determination that he showed on the pitch will stand him in good stead in his future endeavors.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

How very bright Dan shone as a player. In really hard back row to get into for Leinster and then Ireland he quickly made himself the star. At his peak he won the league, European Cup, and Grandslam and Ireland were no.1 He finished his Irish career undefeated. At the time of the injury he was a triple champion. It's easy to think about how Leinster and then Ireland stuttered badly after that and what a difference he would have made but outside of speculation we can and should focus on the difference he did make. He made Leinster and Ireland the best. If only briefly.

Shine on Dan!
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

As fans, there's often a bit of nervousness for the player when they move up to international level but with Leavy that definitely wasn't the case. Of all the players in the Ireland squad over the past 10 years I'd say he was the player I was most confident with was ready for the bigger stage. Just a brilliant player

Always loved the image of him and Ryan saluting each other after the Saracens game in '18
https://www.shutterstock.com/editorial/ ... -9634594ai
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Laighin Break wrote: April 6th, 2022, 2:07 pm As fans, there's often a bit of nervousness for the player when they move up to international level but with Leavy that definitely wasn't the case. Of all the players in the Ireland squad over the past 10 years I'd say he was the player I was most confident with was ready for the bigger stage. Just a brilliant player

Always loved the image of him and Ryan saluting each other after the Saracens game in '18
https://www.shutterstock.com/editorial/ ... -9634594ai
The crowning moment of a sublime performance!!!
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

TRK and overthehillprop not missing an opportunity to make the retirement about Devs clearout. How can we make this about Munster!
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

paddyor wrote: April 6th, 2022, 4:33 pm TRK and overthehillprop not missing an opportunity to make the retirement about Devs clearout. How can we make this about Munster!
I've seen this a lot and the two incidents are just totally different, ridiculous to compare the two.

I've no issue with people calling for side entries to be policed better, they are really dangerous and should have been sorted out a long long time ago but Dev's is just not in the same league as the one's that need attention. The first thing that WR needs to do is get the on field officials to crack down on it, the second is to get the TMO to get more involved. It doesn't have to be about checking the screen, just give the ref a quick "side entry blue" and on we go. The third thing is to sort out the techniques for clearing players out, getting rid of neck rolls or focusing on not binding etc aren't enough, the judo style throws can be really dangerous and often come about when someone enters a ruck legally but slides to the side of the player over the ball and flips them over. I believe that is what the law (9.20d) means by using someone as a lever but it's a difficult one to judge at times.

Lastly, I think this is the kind of incident that is covered by that same law that my legal pal mentioned when saying that Dev "dropped his weight on to him". The footage isn't great, and I know I'm applying my own interpretation here, but I think it fits that part of the law well and is nothing like what Dev did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-VgKfiOjmU
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

So, you know the way that Devin Toner entered the ruck between the feet and the neck of the tackled player, which I believe forms “the gate”, how was he in from the side?
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

paddyor wrote: April 6th, 2022, 4:33 pm TRK and overthehillprop not missing an opportunity to make the retirement about Devs clearout. How can we make this about Munster!
Murray and Eoin Toolin did it too on 42.ie podcast.

Just a lazy but current comparison. Eoin was calling for all in at the sides to be yellow after 'inert appropriate hyperbole' about Dev's tackle.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

If we're making lazy comparisons then one that has come to my mind this week has been Dan and David Clifford. Clifford was brilliant last weekend and people are already talking about him becoming as all time great. It looks like only injury can stop him now. This might sound like hyperbole but I really think, there but for bad luck, goes Dan Leavy
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Who? Oh GAA
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

some great comments from leo on leavy today, underlines what a loss he has been and will be.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

ronk wrote:Who? Oh GAA
Dunno why you asked if you knew
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Twist wrote: April 8th, 2022, 4:46 pm
ronk wrote:Who? Oh GAA
Dunno why you asked if you knew
I didn't, I googled it.
Hoofhearted
Bookworm

Post by Hoofhearted »

I was a little bit surprised and happy to see Dan meeting the team off the coach on arrival at Leicester and even more surprised and delighted to see him pitch side during the game.

I wonder if Dan is considering coaching in the Leinster set up?
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Hoofhearted wrote: May 8th, 2022, 1:34 pm I was a little bit surprised and happy to see Dan meeting the team off the coach on arrival at Leicester and even more surprised and delighted to see him pitch side during the game.

Would he get a "Star" if Leinster win the HCC.
IE Was he named in our HCC squad?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

Hoofhearted wrote: May 8th, 2022, 1:34 pm I was a little bit surprised and happy to see Dan meeting the team off the coach on arrival at Leicester and even more surprised and delighted to see him pitch side during the game.

here's why:

https://twitter.com/leinsterrugby/statu ... A4gpiYfW0Q

you can see from Dan, from this, and from his animation I noticed on the sideline on Sat just how much Leinster and rugby means to him. He truly is a huge loss to the game in general.