Leicester V Leinster EPCR q/f 2022

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Blue Man
Enlightened

Re: Leicester V Leinster EPCR q/f 2022

Post by Blue Man »

Looks like a very decent side and this will be a good hit out for them. We can beat them by playing our high tempo game but need to avoid silly mistakes and easy turnovers under pressure. Slight concern that we could be under cooked - hope everyday has been Stuesday in Belfield!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

wixfjord wrote: April 29th, 2022, 12:46 pm Would say it'll be a similar side we'll see next week.

I'd expect to see Heyes, Snyman & Nadolo next week against us.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Tigers win 56-26.

As if to underline the scale of the test next week...
tigerburnie
Enlightened

Post by tigerburnie »

I would expect the starting XV to be pretty much unchanged, but the bench could be different, pretty sure Kelly will be free from his ban so might replace Nadolo and Van Poorvleit might replace Wigglesworth at 9, Springbok Marco van Staden is also back in full training after a concussion episode, could also be a possible on the bench, though I think George Martin is still a week or so away from returning.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

tigerburnie wrote: May 1st, 2022, 1:41 pmI think George Martin is still a week or so away from returning.
Nice. He could bang out a few Beatles tunes on the piano.

Don't get me started on Harry Potter.....
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

tigerburnie wrote: May 1st, 2022, 1:41 pm I would expect the starting XV to be pretty much unchanged, but the bench could be different, pretty sure Kelly will be free from his ban so might replace Nadolo and Van Poorvleit might replace Wigglesworth at 9, Springbok Marco van Staden is also back in full training after a concussion episode, could also be a possible on the bench, though I think George Martin is still a week or so away from returning.
Dan Kelly? Isn’t he injured rather than banned?
tigerburnie
Enlightened

Post by tigerburnie »

johng wrote: May 1st, 2022, 1:48 pm
tigerburnie wrote: May 1st, 2022, 1:41 pmI think George Martin is still a week or so away from returning.
Nice. He could bang out a few Beatles tunes on the piano.

Don't get me started on Harry Potter.....
He scored a wizard of a try yesterday..................................I'll get my coat
tigerburnie
Enlightened

Post by tigerburnie »

wixfjord wrote: May 1st, 2022, 2:09 pm
tigerburnie wrote: May 1st, 2022, 1:41 pm I would expect the starting XV to be pretty much unchanged, but the bench could be different, pretty sure Kelly will be free from his ban so might replace Nadolo and Van Poorvleit might replace Wigglesworth at 9, Springbok Marco van Staden is also back in full training after a concussion episode, could also be a possible on the bench, though I think George Martin is still a week or so away from returning.
Dan Kelly? Isn’t he injured rather than banned?
Getting excited here, it's Chessum who was banned and should be available as of tomorrow, not sure what situation is with Dan Kelly.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Given the manner in which Kelly pulled up in the Clermont game I'd be very surprised to see him involved next Saturday
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

Some very interesting selection calls this week.
Hooker - Which of the 2 do we start. Would it make sense to have Kelleher on the bench as he is a stronger scrummager to have with the replacement props?
Second Row- Ryan and Baird both haven’t played in yonks. Wouldn’t rule Dev out as a starter.
Backs- same as Connacht unless Larmour is fit and even then JOB playing out of his skin.
Bench - This is the real conundrum- assuming it’s a 5/3 split, do we have Baird and Rhys on the bench? With regards to the backs , it’s hard to imagine Ross being dropped for Frawley but then Frawley doesn’t make the 23 as you imagine it’s Larmour or JOB.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Assuming Kelleher/Baird are fit and everyone else is as expected, I'd go for:

Porter, Kelleher, Furlong, Molony, Ryan, Doris, VDF, Conan, JGP, Sexton, Lowe, Henshaw, Ringer, JOB, Keenan
Sheehan, Healy, Mike, Baird, Rhys, McGrath, Byrne, Larmour

That's a serious side and bench to go to Welford Road.

I do have a sneaking suspicion that McGrath could start albeit. Wouldn't be my choice but this is the type of game he has tended to be selected for.

Personally I'd also have Rhys/Conan as a 50/50 but Rhys having played two tough games in SA would swing that.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Find it difficult to figure our why Dev didn't travel to SA unless it is being considered using him next week. Possibly covering Baird in case of set-back in training, but that's the height of it.

Although I admire the advance of Ross Molony this season and he has really worked on his game, I don't consider him a EPCR starter, except in case of injury. If Baird fit, he starts alongside Ryan. If not, start Dev. In both cases Ross benches and closes out the game.

Frawley my option at 23 with Ross & McGrath if JO'B selected at 14. Conan to start & Rhys to finish.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

wixfjord wrote: May 1st, 2022, 6:00 pm Assuming Kelleher/Baird are fit and everyone else is as expected, I'd go for:

Porter, Kelleher, Furlong, Molony, Ryan, Doris, VDF, Conan, JGP, Sexton, Lowe, Henshaw, Ringer, JOB, Keenan
Sheehan, Healy, Mike, Baird, Rhys, McGrath, Byrne, Larmour

That's a serious side and bench to go to Welford Road.

I do have a sneaking suspicion that McGrath could start albeit. Wouldn't be my choice but this is the type of game he has tended to be selected for.

Personally I'd also have Rhys/Conan as a 50/50 but Rhys having played two tough games in SA would swing that.
I like your thinking! I'd go with that selection too.

p.s. in contrast to RTB I think Ross Molony deserves his Heino start.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Ruckedtobits wrote: May 1st, 2022, 6:22 pm Find it difficult to figure our why Dev didn't travel to SA unless it is being considered using him next week. Possibly covering Baird in case of set-back in training, but that's the height of it.

Although I admire the advance of Ross Molony this season and he has really worked on his game, I don't consider him a EPCR starter, except in case of injury. If Baird fit, he starts alongside Ryan. If not, start Dev. In both cases Ross benches and closes out the game.

Frawley my option at 23 with Ross & McGrath if JO'B selected at 14. Conan to start & Rhys to finish.
That's a really strange thing to say, considering he has started all our Euro games so far is having an excellent season and in much better form than Dev.

Dev has played less than 60 mins in Europe this year.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

wixfjord wrote: May 1st, 2022, 6:33 pm
Ruckedtobits wrote: May 1st, 2022, 6:22 pm Find it difficult to figure our why Dev didn't travel to SA unless it is being considered using him next week. Possibly covering Baird in case of set-back in training, but that's the height of it.

That's a really strange thing to say, considering he has started all our Euro games so far is having an excellent season and in much better form than Dev.

If you were to draw a form line over the past 12 months then Ross Molony is the form second row in Ireland. Delivers week in week out, I’d have him in the Irish squad over Baird or Treadwell.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

the spoofer wrote: May 1st, 2022, 8:44 pm

If you were to draw a form line over the past 12 months then Ross Molony is the form second row in Ireland. Delivers week in week out, I’d have him in the Irish squad over Baird or Treadwell.
Tadhg Beirne has had a great season, in fairness.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

hugonaut wrote: May 1st, 2022, 8:47 pm

Tadhg Beirne has had a great season, in fairness.
Of course. But I hold that RM is surprisingly ignored.

Watching Bordeaux and Toulon and my biggest concern next week is Raynal. A complete loose cannon. Ref analysis is probably a waste of time.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

We didn't bring any of our late career players to SA. The tour was more about getting experience than bringing experience. Maybe recovery time or family considerations came into it. It wasn't an accident that lads with serious cap counts who'd toured plenty weren't brought along.

Cronin didn't go either but we brought 2 academy hookers. No one expected Cronin to be in the running for a Heineken Cup game.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Additionally Cronin and Toner played the only time Ireland beat SA away. They'd have been invaluable on a tour like this. They'd have mollified the SA media. A no brainer, if you think that way. Even from a development perspective there were other young players, and they'd have benefited from seeing the experienced heads. Leo knows that well.

Sending uncapped academy lads in their positions was very much deliberate. They weren't going just to your or just to learn from veterans. They were going to figure it out for themselves.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

If Josh van der Flier wasn’t having the season he’s having I’d have Ross as my player of the season.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever