Leinster v Toulouse HC SF Sat 14th May 3:00pm

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Re: Leinster v Toulouse HC SF Sat 14th May 3:00pm

Post by Theleinsterlad »

enby wrote: May 14th, 2022, 10:37 pm I didn't have a great angle on it so can somebody tell me if JOB should've backed himself and gone for the corner in 2nd half or was he right to step back in and seek support. I thought he should've gone for it. I'd be interested to hear a more informed view
From the tv he looked like it was a 50/50 and just his lack of experience made him go for safer option which I couldn’t fault. Also think that’s something Leinster do as a strategy with whoever’s on the wing and not get taken out
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

blockhead wrote: May 14th, 2022, 8:40 pm Big Mike put in a big shift and carried well when needed but he let them in for their last try, talking to the touch judge instead of tackling the man with the ball, tut tut Mike, deserves a kick up the hole for that, but he was great otherwise wasn't he.
Theleinsterlad wrote: May 14th, 2022, 8:46 pm Yeah big Mike won’t make that mistake again after debrief with stu on Monday 😂
To be fair to him, he was trying to ask if he could legally join the maul at that point, seeing as a player blocking him from the ball carrier wasn't on the field. If he had joined and gotten pinged, he could have been off for a card and a penalty try.
Anyone But New Zealand
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

Not sure what to say, I thought that was a phenomenal performance. Everything was good. So happy. Bring on the final
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

enby wrote: May 14th, 2022, 10:37 pm I didn't have a great angle on it so can somebody tell me if JOB should've backed himself and gone for the corner in 2nd half or was he right to step back in and seek support. I thought he should've gone for it. I'd be interested to hear a more informed view
In the first 5 mins, he should have gone for the corner imo. Lowe or larmour scores that’s. He bounced the ball off his support in an abortive offload in the last 5 of the first half too iirc.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Experimental
Knowledgeable

Post by Experimental »

Really good performance, but we can definately be better. Jimmy O Brien needs to back himself a bit more, he should be running onto the ball at real pace like keenan and smashing over that line, his finishing needs to improve. McGrath really slowed things down I thought when he came on, got tangled up in far too many rucks, he needs to stop doing that, we will need him at his best. And the scrum looked not great, especially when Furlong went off, this is by far the biggest work on. JDVF has really stepped up to where he should be, being talked about as player of the tournment, great to see. Sexton, Henshaw, Keenan and Doris were world class. I dont think Ive ever seen a player make less mistakes than Keenan, its remarkable really, hes honestly one of the best players ive ever seen play the game.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

A great game to watch. Even though we won comfortably enough I felt that we still haven't hit fourth gear. Porter I felt had another quite game by his high standards and Doris and Conan made silly mistakes along the way. Our second row though were incredible. Sheahan really added something when he came in for Kellher and Lowe was my choice for MOM. Really looking forward to the final now.
pangurban1
Bookworm

Post by pangurban1 »

Agree on big Mike, really stepped up and proved me wrong.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Wow. Everyone thought we knew how to beat them - by running them ragged - and we were right. But the execution of the gameplan was exceptional. Particularly in the first half. Makes you wonder why we didn’t do it against La Rochelle last year.

Sexton was obviously central to the execution yesterday of course, but there were so many really top level performances. Lowe’s boot is also so important to our territory game.

The atmosphere was decent for the first half hour or so but it went dead then. Fair play to OLSC/Leinster, whichever was responsible for the flags and posters.

The scrum was as weak as expected but we managed to not let it be a factor. Hopefully we can replicate that in the final.

Beyond the mistakes he made that were picked up, Conan got lucky with the accidental trip. Officials also missed him knocking on in the scrum. Wouldn’t have been relevant to the result but it continues the feeling many of us have about his form. Coaches look committed to selecting him though, so I don’t expect it will change.
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

The two tries yesterday put Lowe within one try of the single season record for the Champions Cup. Would love to see him get a couple more in the final.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Exceptional performance. Not really sure what else to say. Literally blew Toulouse away and they were on the back foot for the entire game even when they were leading 7:3

Pleasure following this team, what a privilege it is :happy clapper:

Thanks Lads, now time to finish it off in the final.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

The pace we played at, the handling right up in Toulouse’s faces, and then the hard hard lines running onto those passes were just phenomenal. It was similar to Ireland’s best stuff in November but it seemed like every single forward could manage it and we really pushed our skill levels to the very limit.

We had most of the usual errors and concerns at various times (although I can forgive some restarts because of the sun) but I think we even managed to generate momentum at times when it was slow ball or the platform wasn’t great and that bodes really well for the final. The number of options on the ball and the ability to get back into an attacking shape so quickly were so impressive and I think we kept it up for the 80 minutes. I’ve said it before but if you play that way then you have to accept that mistakes will happen, and I think we do have to play that way to avoid the arm wrestle so just have to back ourselves.

Toulouse weren’t at their best and I thought it was very strange that they didn’t attack us with their maul more, but we just blew them away with some of the best rugby I think we’ve ever played. There might have been a few guys not quite as prominent on the ball but when the ball carrier has so many options, the ruck ball is lightning quick, and you dominate possession and territory so convincingly then you know that everyone had stormers.

We were a bit disappointing in the last final and even against Racing when we won, but having that style yesterday means we can’t fail to fire a few shots. It might not be as accurate next time but even then we’ll be able to create loads of chances from it.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Serb wrote: May 15th, 2022, 9:21 am The two tries yesterday put Lowe within one try of the single season record for the Champions Cup. Would love to see him get a couple more in the final.
He's also only two tries short of Felipe's single-season try scoring record of 15 tries in 2005-06.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

cormac wrote: May 15th, 2022, 9:42 am
Serb wrote: May 15th, 2022, 9:21 am The two tries yesterday put Lowe within one try of the single season record for the Champions Cup. Would love to see him get a couple more in the final.
He's also only two tries short of Felipe's single-season try scoring record of 15 tries in 2005-06.
Amazing to be close in a shortened season. Both for Heineken Cup and overall (and international minutes management).
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

JLo is now level with Isa on 47 tries. Moved 2 ahead of Nugget.
Looking back at the game, apart from the restart wobble, Conan had a stomer especially in the 2nd half. Those 3 are a dynamic backrow, if Baird and Deegan can pull up a few trees next weekend they could be a bolter for the Final. We really need some impact off the bench.
Ruddock to captain against Munster.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

blockhead wrote: May 15th, 2022, 10:11 am Looking back at the game, apart from the restart wobble, Conan had a stomer especially in the 2nd half.
I clearly need to watch it back. Impression at the game was that he made a good few errors.
What impressed you about him? Genuinely curious.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

His all round mobility is really up there, with the ball, without it. He had the most offloads yesterday so you can see how he syncs up with the rest off the team and how we want to play. Within the pack he had the most carries, most metres gained, most passes, just behind Molony for most tackles (fair play to Ross for outshining the Lion on that one).
So all in all, he was everywhere.
And he wasn't lucky with the contact on Ntamack, the ref and Tmo adjudged it not to be a card and they were right. Probably saved a try there too!
Plumber and Faz know what they're doing.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

great win. looking forward to the two finals in marseille now. tix for fri & sat. Lyon v Toulon should be a full house and a good game.

Any update on furlongs injury? Conan hobbled off too at one stage.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

blockhead wrote: May 15th, 2022, 10:51 am His all round mobility is really up there, with the ball, without it. He had the most offloads yesterday so you can see how he syncs up with the rest off the team and how we want to play. Within the pack he had the most carries, most metres gained, most passes, just behind Molony for most tackles (fair play to Ross for outshining the Lion on that one).
So all in all, he was everywhere.
And he wasn't lucky with the contact on Ntamack, the ref and Tmo adjudged it not to be a card and they were right. Probably saved a try there too!
Plumber and Faz know what they're doing.
Just rewatched and I just don’t see it. Sorry.
I think you’re wrong on the trip…and so did Conan, judging by his reaction.
I noticed Doris and Molony more in that link distribution role. But I guess the stats must be accurate.
He does do a lot of one out, unglamorous carries though, which is important. But I just think Ruddock is better at that this season.
I’m not saying he’s playing badly. I just don’t think he’s playing well. And others are. He definitely made some mistakes yesterday anyway.

I won’t question Plumber. But sometimes coaches do persist with players even when they’re out of form: they wouldn’t be the first.

Full game here on France 2. Who were raving about VdF and critical of Porter.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Hsp00v_1Z2s
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I don’t know how you could say that Conan wasn’t lucky with the contact and then say it probably saved a try. Even if Conan didn’t mean to trip him, he was tripped so we should have been punished.

Thought he had a good game though. A few errors but very good outside of that.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: May 15th, 2022, 12:24 pm I don’t know how you could say that Conan wasn’t lucky with the contact and then say it probably saved a try. Even if Conan didn’t mean to trip him, he was tripped so we should have been punished.

Thought he had a good game though. A few errors but very good outside of that.
This isn’t football. He has to actually trip the player to trip him. Accidental/incidental contact that brings down the player isn’t a foul, it’s a rugby incident.

There’s no play the ball before you play the ball. Obstruction isn’t just being in the way, it requires an action by the offending player.