Leinster v Bulls Friday RDS 19:35 TG4

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

cormac
Rob Kearney

Re: Leinster v Bulls Friday RDS 19:35 TG4

Post by cormac »

from the 42.ie. https://www.the42.ie/leo-cullen-leinste ... 6-Jun2022/

The Leinster boss added that Tadhg Furlong is fully fit having overcome a back issue early in the week, and admitted that the absence of Hugo Keenan from tomorrow’s matchday 23 was based purely on selection, with the fullback also sitting out last weekend’s defeat of Glasgow.

“It was one of those tight calls, but he’s good to go,” Cullen said.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Match Preview

Leinster responded to the disappointment of the previous week by crushing Glasgow last week.

If there was any moping going on, Glasgow's early try snapped them out of it. On the back of Richie Gray's moronic yellow card, Leinster took control of the game. The second half was frankly embarrassing for Glasgow as Leinster seemed to be playing a game of sevens scoring virtually every time they made a line break.

Read more...
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I find that hard to believe about Hugo. Unless there’s a disciplinary issue it makes more sense that he’s carrying it and they want to give him more time. If he’s fit then he should at least be on the bench, particularly with ROL playing and able to cover centre instead of Frawley.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: June 9th, 2022, 3:54 pm I find that hard to believe about Hugo. Unless there’s a disciplinary issue it makes more sense that he’s carrying it and they want to give him more time. If he’s fit then he should at least be on the bench, particularly with ROL playing and able to cover centre instead of Frawley.
It's an odd one alright. He had a poor game by his standards vs La Rochelle but I was shocked because I can't ever remember him playing badly for Leinster or Ireland. The guy would be in the Lions squad on form. No disrespect to ROL but Hugo is a different level to him.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I'm delighted for McCarthy to see him starting and performing so well and I think it's a great show of faith from Leo/Stu.

But it's a bit strange that he's been chosen ahead of Ross M twice in a row now after the former put in some brilliant Euro performances, particularly given how reluctant we were to use McCarthy in the Euro games.

If I were Ross I might be a bit annoyed at the harm this could do his Ireland touring chances too.

Great chance for Joe to show he can do it against a meatier pack though and I think overall that he and Ryan is more balanced than any other lock selection we can put out.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Flash Gordon wrote: June 9th, 2022, 4:28 pm
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: June 9th, 2022, 3:54 pm I find that hard to believe about Hugo. Unless there’s a disciplinary issue it makes more sense that he’s carrying it and they want to give him more time. If he’s fit then he should at least be on the bench, particularly with ROL playing and able to cover centre instead of Frawley.
It's an odd one alright. He had a poor game by his standards vs La Rochelle but I was shocked because I can't ever remember him playing badly for Leinster or Ireland. The guy would be in the Lions squad on form. No disrespect to ROL but Hugo is a different level to him.
https://www.rte.ie/sport/united-rugby-c ... ulls-unit/

From the link above.

However Hugo Keenan misses out again, with the full-back recently returning to training from a minor injury. And while Cullen maintains the 25-year-old is fit enough if needed, the six-day turnaround ensured a reluctance to make too many changes.

"We just wanted to see Hugo train, and I thought the other guys did quite well last week," said Cullen.

"It was just him getting through the week's training, and he ran around with the guys again today. It was one of those tight calls, but he's good to go.

"It's a semi-final, so you don't know if you have a next week or not, but he got through the week well.

"It's a short week also, so there's always that bit of a challenge on short weeks. The Bulls face the same challenge. The guys acquitted themselves last week, but a couple of changes to keep a bit of pressure on.

"The group are working well, a couple of guys were unlucky this week, because of the importance of the Monday and Tuesday part of the week and getting guys out there, so that's the balance of stability."
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

backrower8 wrote: June 9th, 2022, 1:12 pm
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: June 9th, 2022, 12:33 pmLowe’s injury is essentially four weeks (edited, forgot the gap between semi and final) and counting at this stage. Sorry to go on about it but it was just a terrible decision to pick him for the final and the longer he’s out the worse it looks.
I don't agree with that perspective on Lowe's selection. I watched Lowe in the Final and he did not seem to be hindered in his movement in any way. His performance related to the lack of ball that came his way and reduced possession generally. That said, it was notable that he swapped wings with Jimmy for the kick-offs.
If thought Lowe wasn't exposed and held his own but also didn't go looking for work as he normally would have. It was a loss but still the right call to me.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

I think Keenan plays if it's the final. But he's not quite there and there's no point in patching him up to get him through this match when we have other selection options.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

wixfjord wrote: June 9th, 2022, 5:58 pm I'm delighted for McCarthy to see him starting and performing so well and I think it's a great show of faith from Leo/Stu.

But it's a bit strange that he's been chosen ahead of Ross M twice in a row now after the former put in some brilliant Euro performances, particularly given how reluctant we were to use McCarthy in the Euro games.

If I were Ross I might be a bit annoyed at the harm this could do his Ireland touring chances too.

Great chance for Joe to show he can do it against a meatier pack though and I think overall that he and Ryan is more balanced than any other lock selection we can put out.
As I said earlier, this looks like Faz (who has snubbed Ross Molony) pressing for McCarthy who Leo gave less than 15 minutes to in 3 matches at the business end of the Champions Cup...or maybe Ross is carrying a slight injury.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

TMC wrote: June 9th, 2022, 3:08 pm Need a big game from Conan he hasn’t been on top form of late and can be somewhat muted against bigger packs/men. Noticed the Bulls don’t have subs they have "Impact", Sweet Mother of Divine Jesus. :roll:
That doesn't tally with Conan being the Test Lion in a series against South Africa for a coach who is known for choosing big physical players
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

backrower8 wrote: June 9th, 2022, 1:12 pm
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: June 9th, 2022, 12:33 pmLowe’s injury is essentially four weeks (edited, forgot the gap between semi and final) and counting at this stage. Sorry to go on about it but it was just a terrible decision to pick him for the final and the longer he’s out the worse it looks.
I don't agree with that perspective on Lowe's selection. I watched Lowe in the Final and he did not seem to be hindered in his movement in any way. His performance related to the lack of ball that came his way and reduced possession generally. That said, it was notable that he swapped wings with Jimmy for the kick-offs.
There is no way that Lowe was fit for that final. He doesn’t wait for the ball to come to him, he finds the ball and had the fewest involvements I can remember him having in a match. I was there and haven’t been able to stomach rewatching but my recollection is that he barely kicked.
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

Looks like it’s going to be another poor attendance, disappointed that Leinster fan base is so shallow. Also really frustrated by the complete inability of Leinster to market or sell the team in general or specific matches
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

backrower8 wrote: June 9th, 2022, 7:27 pm
wixfjord wrote: June 9th, 2022, 5:58 pm I'm delighted for McCarthy to see him starting and performing so well and I think it's a great show of faith from Leo/Stu.

As I said earlier, this looks like Faz (who has snubbed Ross Molony) pressing for McCarthy who Leo gave less than 15 minutes to in 3 matches at the business end of the Champions Cup...or maybe Ross is carrying a slight injury.
Having re-watched the Bulls q/f versus Sharks, I suspect Joe Mac's inclusion is to enhance our maul and strengthen our close-in defence. Bulls defensive maul is technically weak, often containing only four forwards - two of whom get isolated on the edges. Our maul was excellent, but underused, versus LAR and any close study of the Bulls will recognise we can walk them backwards or launch Sheehan, Josh or Doris off our maul going forward.

Offensively they use one-off forward carriers, notably Steenkamp(s) and Coetzee, all of whom are big men with strong fends. They need to be hit hard and low with as much weight and power as possible. Stopped on or about the gain line Bulls revert to steepleing garryowen's from Smith with a strong chase from wingers and mid-field. Hendricks collects a lot of knock-downs from such kicks.

There is little sophistication about the Bulls attack but we still need to attack them physically, before going wide. The maul is our most effective weapon to undertake this onslaught and bunch in their defence before going wide.

Despite White's coaching 'nous' and his undoubted experience, this Bulls team has not got the weapons to beat us with skill. However, we must still compete with and defeat their pack to allow our superior skills to overcome them.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Ruckedtobits wrote: June 9th, 2022, 2:04 pm It will be very educational to see whether we employ any different patterns in handling the Bulls. I would certainly like to see us commit a third forward to every breakdown where we enter in possession. Like LAR, the Bulls will attempt to slow down our ruck / breakdown ball and hassle JGP by "chopping" at his arms as he picks up. In general our ball placement has been exemplary and he is able to move ball efficiently to his first receiver.

However, if the breakdown area is 'flooded' by defenders and our mid-field is attacked aggressively by a fast defence line which is targeting our 'second-line' attack, it is very difficult to get ball wide and the pace & tempo of our game stagnates. Two of the effective options we have are i) for the first receiver to pass back inside or b) first receiver puts ball behind their fast-up defensive line, where there should be more space which they have just vacated.

Both of these options are significantly dependant on the referee applying the laws on the following infringements:
a) Playing the scrum-half while still a part of the ruck;
b) Early contact / tackle on a player without the ball (vital in a rush defence);
c) Applying the off-side line vigorously against tackles from inside passes.

Many of these infringements were missed or ignored versus LAR, but they are vital in stymeing our desire for tempo and pace. Personally, I fear that Ross will just take the ball deeper and attempt to give Henshaw / Ringrose / JO'B deeper passes against a rush defence solely intent on closing them down.

LAR showed the template of how to curtail our pattern. We must overcome that pressure and it starts at our breakdown. Another (3rd) cleaner at every breakdown may reduce the effectiveness of our attacking pods, but it will ensure we have fast breakdown ball to maintain the tempo we want to play. That is the most important element of our attacking strategy.
This is more a general point, but:
The point about applying the laws on those 3 infringements, or the lack of application in most cases, is interesting. Surely these are the things that need focus from the officials in order to have a better, faster, more attractive game in general? Or is a faster,running, game not what the sporting organisers want? I understand the need for a variety of playing styles but when the non-application of the laws leads to a slower, more attritional game being more successful it doesn't seem right, IMHO.
It always frustrates me when positive, attacking rugby gets penalised more than negative, defensive play.
Dont Panic!
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

backrower8 wrote: June 9th, 2022, 7:30 pm
TMC wrote: June 9th, 2022, 3:08 pm Need a big game from Conan he hasn’t been on top form of late and can be somewhat muted against bigger packs/men. Noticed the Bulls don’t have subs they have "Impact", Sweet Mother of Divine Jesus. :roll:
That doesn't tally with Conan being the Test Lion in a series against South Africa for a coach who is known for choosing big physical players
Conan was poor against lar. Doris is the more physical of the 2. Surprised Rhys wasn't involved for tomorrow and the bulls will look to take us on upfront. Conan is lucky to get his spot back and will prob get taken off when baird gets on in the second half. Jack needs a big game and he has the quality to have a stormer but when we play big packs he can seem to struggle to impose himself. Let's see what happens!!
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

Blue Man wrote: June 9th, 2022, 9:02 pm Looks like it’s going to be another poor attendance, disappointed that Leinster fan base is so shallow. Also really frustrated by the complete inability of Leinster to market or sell the team in general or specific matches
Did LR or the URC for that matter even attempt to market this game; I certainly haven't seen much. Haven't seen any update on amount of tickets sold... etc.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Sexton played 3 URC games at the start of the year and hasn't played since in the competition. Byrne has played 15 times. He starts.

I know Sexton was injured so that's a factor. Still nice to see.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Injury niggle is plausible.

If you were planning it this way the odd call was leaving McCarthy at home for the SA tour. He could have travelled and played then been able to sub for the HC.

In the end he didn't play from the Connacht game in March to the Leicester game (& every week since). Maybe it's McCarthy who was injured.
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

I absolutely disagree with your theory that Farrell would have any influence at all on the selection for a semi-final. Firstly I dont think Farrell would do it and secondly Leo would rightly tell him to F right off …
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Blue Man wrote: June 9th, 2022, 9:02 pm Looks like it’s going to be another poor attendance, disappointed that Leinster fan base is so shallow. Also really frustrated by the complete inability of Leinster to market or sell the team in general or specific matches
Most casual leinster fans seemingly dont care about the URC for whatever reason and many have forked out a lot of money recently to attend games, not to mention June is not traditionally rugby season and this game is on a friday evening FFS.

Don't blame anyone who isn't willing to fork out more money to attend this game.