Leinster Academy 22-23

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Leinster Academy 22-23

Post by ronk »

At least they're not the People's Front of Judea.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: May 6th, 2023, 10:45 am
ronk wrote: May 6th, 2023, 10:27 am
erskinechilders wrote: May 6th, 2023, 9:23 am

The more of this the better. Grow the quality of the AIL, give academy / non playing senior members valuable game time. What's the downside?
Injuries, different development, distorted competition, disenfranchised amateur players who missed out on selection and of course bidding wars over pro players that puts half the clubs out of business and sucks funding out of junior rugby for the others.
I thought that the AIL wasn’t allowed to pay their players though? That’s what they’re saying in Lakelands anyways
An Ipad for mom. There are lads in LL getting €15k a season.
Observingprop123
Mullet

Post by Observingprop123 »

Exeter going in for Jack Boyle apparently. Can't see him leaving now but hopefully this doesn't lead to more attempts at our academy from the Premiership.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

Observingprop123 wrote: May 7th, 2023, 8:08 pm Exeter going in for Jack Boyle apparently. Can't see him leaving now but hopefully this doesn't lead to more attempts at our academy from the Premiership.
Where is this rumour coming from? I seen it elsewhere too but no sources.
Observingprop123
Mullet

Keith wrote: May 7th, 2023, 8:12 pm
Observingprop123 wrote: May 7th, 2023, 8:08 pm Exeter going in for Jack Boyle apparently. Can't see him leaving now but hopefully this doesn't lead to more attempts at our academy from the Premiership.
https://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/feature ... ir-roster/

I'm unsure if its a rag of a paper or not but thats where I saw it
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

Observingprop123 wrote: May 7th, 2023, 8:16 pm

Thanks, the only surprise is that this sort of thing hasn't happened sooner. I'd be gobsmacked if he left though.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Keith wrote: May 7th, 2023, 8:25 pm

Thanks, the only surprise is that this sort of thing hasn't happened sooner. I'd be gobsmacked if he left though.
Stuff like this often happens.. rarely reported on though
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

In case Jack is reading this I'll put up the list of players who have willingly left Leinster and gone on to better things:

Thanks for reading Jack
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

the spoofer wrote: May 6th, 2023, 12:31 pm
ronk wrote: May 6th, 2023, 10:27 am

Injuries, different development, distorted competition, disenfranchised amateur players who missed out on selection and of course bidding wars over pro players that puts half the clubs out of business and sucks funding out of junior rugby for the others.
I thought that the AIL wasn’t allowed to pay their players though? That’s what they’re saying in Lakelands anyways
Categorically wrong
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Fissler has a rep for running anything as a story AIUI.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Academy hasn't been finalised for next season so early promotions for Boyle and Prendergast looks more than likely given attention they've attracted.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Ruckedtobits wrote: May 7th, 2023, 10:22 pm
the spoofer wrote: May 6th, 2023, 12:31 pm

Categorically wrong
LL is Leinster League and an IPAD for MOM at Terenure is categorically true.
FtD
Mullet

Post by FtD »

I went along to the Aviva yesterday for the AIL final, and have to say the Academy contingent definitely didn't stand out.

On the Clontarf side:
Aitzol King had a superb finish for the try in the first few minutes, but apart from that was uninvolved. Thought his instincts looked a little poor, and he missed a couple of poor tackles.

Alex Soroka was probably most disappointing for me - also scored a walkover try, but other than that he was not remotely influential. A lot of standing around hands on hips or just shipping on passes.

Ben Murphy was okay when on the field, but Clontarf looked well beaten at that stage. Angus Lloyd probably the more effective SH of the two though.

Brian Deeny was also poor IMO - my concerns about him for Leinster is I don't think he has any exceptional physical traits, and that was a takeaway from yesterday too. Not especially big or athletic, but not a particularly energetic player either and poor hands / footballing.

Hugh Cooney - game kind of passed him by. He threw the intercept that led to Craig Adams' try that was probably the turning point of the game. Clontarf backs were static enough all day, and he was outplayed by Colm de Buitlear.

On the Terenure side - you wouldn't know Marcus Hanan was an academy level player. The 'Nure scrum was getting absolutely minced at the beginning of the game, and finished stronger after making a number of subs. Not surprised that he's probably reached the end of the road at Leinster.
Theleafysuburb
Learner

Post by Theleafysuburb »

FtD wrote: May 8th, 2023, 9:25 am I went along to the Aviva yesterday for the AIL final, and have to say the Academy contingent definitely didn't stand out.

On the Clontarf side:
Aitzol King had a superb finish for the try in the first few minutes, but apart from that was uninvolved. Thought his instincts looked a little poor, and he missed a couple of poor tackles.

Alex Soroka was probably most disappointing for me - also scored a walkover try, but other than that he was not remotely influential. A lot of standing around hands on hips or just shipping on passes.

Ben Murphy was okay when on the field, but Clontarf looked well beaten at that stage. Angus Lloyd probably the more effective SH of the two though.

Brian Deeny was also poor IMO - my concerns about him for Leinster is I don't think he has any exceptional physical traits, and that was a takeaway from yesterday too. Not especially big or athletic, but not a particularly energetic player either and poor hands / footballing.

Hugh Cooney - game kind of passed him by. He threw the intercept that led to Craig Adams' try that was probably the turning point of the game. Clontarf backs were static enough all day, and he was outplayed by Colm de Buitlear.

On the Terenure side - you wouldn't know Marcus Hanan was an academy level player. The 'Nure scrum was getting absolutely minced at the beginning of the game, and finished stronger after making a number of subs. Not surprised that he's probably reached the end of the road at Leinster.
To my knowledge it is the end of the road for Marcus Hanan.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I was really unimpressed with Soroka too I have to say.

A lot of mouthing and not a lot of impact.

Thought Cooney was good personally beside the intercept.
Observingprop123
Mullet

FtD wrote: May 8th, 2023, 9:25 am I went along to the Aviva yesterday for the AIL final, and have to say the Academy contingent definitely didn't stand out.

On the Clontarf side:

Thought King and Cooney played well(bar the interception). King made a lovely break that resulted in Deeny's try, and other than that he didn't get a chance. The rest I wasn't very impressed with. Hanan getting smashed in the scrum at AIL means it might be difficult for him to make a mark as a pro.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Ben Griffin looks to be worth another look to me, rate him better than Lasisi tbh.

his body type and foot speed probably doesnt fit ideal leinster tighthead but id still get him in over the summer.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

mildlyinterested wrote: May 8th, 2023, 11:47 am Ben Griffin looks to be worth another look to me, rate him better than Lasisi tbh.

his body type and foot speed probably doesnt fit ideal leinster tighthead but id still get him in over the summer.
I can't understand how a province hasn't come in for Griffin. Ulster are crying out for THs.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Colm deBuitléar agrees with you!! In his post match interview he mentioned that there were pro and academy players getting 'smoked' by AIL players
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
FtD
Mullet

Post by FtD »

Xanthippe wrote: May 8th, 2023, 12:32 pm
Colm deBuitléar agrees with you!! In his post match interview he mentioned that there were pro and academy players getting 'smoked' by AIL players
Saw that afterwards and thought it wasn't the classiest look from him.