Leinster Squad 22-23

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Leinster Squad 22-23

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Well deserved, been brilliant all year and must surely be in with a chance of WPOTY. Deserves massive credit for the way he’s kicked on, I’m struggling to think of another player that’s managed to do it like that. Sure there are loads of late bloomers but that’s not how I’d class Josh. Just hope he manages to stay in one piece until the World Cup and can keep up this level of performance.

As much as Josh deserves the award, I can think of another ten or so players who deserve to be in the conversation which shows that it’s been a good year.
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

jezzer wrote: October 11th, 2022, 1:09 pm
naraic wrote: October 9th, 2022, 7:55 pm
Blue Man wrote: October 9th, 2022, 7:09 pm Agree with the general point that we can’t send out second string sides and expect to win, given the improved standards in the league.
However, there is still a balance to strike in terms of blooding new players, it won’t be the likes of Smith, King and Cosgrove all in the same match, but individually, they do need to get game time in the first XV. It’s unlikely we’ll use of 57 players and the squad is smaller this year but transforming the pipeline into front liners is critical.
This raises the question over an ‘A League’ (unlikely given Emerging Ireland touring rather than ‘A’ sides) and whether the AIL represents a suficiente y high standard to develop elite players.
We seem to have good depth in the pack but I have concerns over the three quarters.
You are right that we are going to need to find a new player development pathway.

Whether thats an A competition, a premiership cup style competition playing during international windows or some other option.

We might need to bear in mind that the South African clubs have the Currie Cup which essentially contains their A sides so the correct answer doesn't need to be a cross URC development pathway.

If you ask me I'd be designating the 8 weeks of the AIs and the six nations and seeking to find partners for a development cup where we can give the academy players a game, maybe keep fringe internationals match fit for later in the international window and it might even be self financing.

2021/2022 of the premiership cup had a fixture list very much like what I'm looking for. Almost all games were during international windows.
Seeing as we let the Saffers into our league, what would you think of us pushing for some A sides to be included in the Currie Cup?

What's good for the goose etc
David Nucifora is reading our notes.

Emerging Ireland to join the Currie cup and a development competition during the international windows are options that are being looked at at the moment.

I would imagine that an Emerging Ireland joining the Currie cup would be quiet a bit weaker than the Emerging Ireland that toured this year.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Jenkins called up to the Bok squad.
Congrats to him. But FFS.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

curates_egg wrote: October 28th, 2022, 8:10 am Jenkins called up to the Bok squad.
Over achieving mudda fudda!
20 of that 35 man squad play in the URC

All 19 of the A Squad to play in Bristol and Cork also play in the URC
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

curates_egg wrote: October 28th, 2022, 8:10 am Jenkins called up to the Bok squad.
Will he still play tonight?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

At least he’ll still get a rest during the 6N. Bit of a difference in terms of perception to go from being constantly injured for a struggling Munster side and only having one cap a few years ago, to putting a run of games together in an unbeaten Leinster team and being back in the Bok squad. No guarantee he gets another full cap but fair play to him for putting himself in this position again, hope he does add to his cap…and stays injury free.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

LeinsterLeader wrote: October 28th, 2022, 9:35 am
I hope so! Serious disruption otherwise.
As I understand the announcements, there is a training camp for 26 main South African players in South Africa next weekend. He will not be at that.
He will join the wider squad in Europe. They have a first meeting in Dublin on Monday.
https://www.rugbypass.com/news/35-stron ... d-jenkins/
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

LeinsterLeader wrote: October 28th, 2022, 9:35 am
This weekend is outside the agreed international window so Leinster are under no obligation to release any players for international duty. Obviously doesn't apply to our Ireland players.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Jenkins being selected for SA after a few months in blue is brilliant vindication for our S&C, coaching and general environment.

Players from outside must look at our player development and how we manage players health with envy. It has to make our pitch to potential transfer targets easier too.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

wixfjord wrote: October 28th, 2022, 11:17 am Jenkins being selected for SA after a few months in blue is brilliant vindication for our S&C, coaching and general environment.

Players from outside must look at our player development and how we manage players health with envy. It has to make our pitch to potential transfer targets easier too.
Gan dabht! :D
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

wixfjord wrote: October 28th, 2022, 11:17 am Jenkins being selected for SA after a few months in blue is brilliant vindication for our S&C, coaching and general environment.

Spot on. Better environment = better players.
Colmodon
Bookworm

Post by Colmodon »

https://rugby.ge/%E1%83%91%E1%83%9D%E1% ... %E1%83%A1/

Vakh called up for Georgia. I wonder if we will be able to keep him if he becomes NIQ
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Colmodon wrote: October 31st, 2022, 9:29 am https://rugby.ge/%E1%83%91%E1%83%9D%E1% ... %E1%83%A1/

Vakh called up for Georgia. I wonder if we will be able to keep him if he becomes NIQ
Not on that page he isn't
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Dave Cahill wrote: October 31st, 2022, 9:32 am
Colmodon wrote: October 31st, 2022, 9:29 am https://rugby.ge/%E1%83%91%E1%83%9D%E1% ... %E1%83%A1/

Yes he is. Use a better translator Dave!
I have Bumbleflex
Colmodon
Bookworm

Post by Colmodon »

From the Google translate

There are 7 debutants in the 34-man squad and three of them are first-line players. Among those summoned is Leinster's Burji Vakhtang Abdaladze, whose father is a veteran leprechaun player, and he himself played in the Irish under-20 national team. Young players Sergo Abramishvili and Aleksandre Kuntelia have also been called up. There are four players from "Black Lion" on numbers 9-10 - Tengiz Peranidze, Giorgi Margalitadze, Luka Matkava and Otar Lashkhi.

"We know Abramishvili and Kuntelia from the under-20 national team, and they have a good reputation from the clubs. Our Sherkin coach Ilia Maisuradze was in "La Rochelle" to raise his qualification and he saw Kuntelia directly in action. Although they are both young, we thought it necessary to see them in action. We also have Abdaladze, who has played in the U-20 Irish national team. There are four debutants from 'Black Lion' in the line. We have this team to replace players easily. We had Lashkhi in the expanded lineup before, but he didn't have to play," explains Maisashvili.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

For some reason it translates 'Lelos' as Leprechauns - which works well for this story!
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Colmodon wrote: October 31st, 2022, 9:36 am

From the Google translate

There are 7 debutants in the 34-man squad and three of them are first-line players. Among those summoned is Leinster's Burji Vakhtang Abdaladze, whose father is a veteran leprechaun player, and he himself played in the Irish under-20 national team. Young players Sergo Abramishvili and Aleksandre Kuntelia have also been called up. There are four players from "Black Lion" on numbers 9-10 - Tengiz Peranidze, Giorgi Margalitadze, Luka Matkava and Otar Lashkhi.

"We know Abramishvili and Kuntelia from the under-20 national team, and they have a good reputation from the clubs. Our Sherkin coach Ilia Maisuradze was in "La Rochelle" to raise his qualification and he saw Kuntelia directly in action. Although they are both young, we thought it necessary to see them in action. We also have Abdaladze, who has played in the U-20 Irish national team. There are four debutants from 'Black Lion' in the line. We have this team to replace players easily. We had Lashkhi in the expanded lineup before, but he didn't have to play," explains Maisashvili.

Yep, noticed that eventually (above)!
I have Bumbleflex
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Him accepting a call up at this stage could be an indicator that he's being released.

Or maybe he got an okay from the IRFU. They probably don't expect him to play for Ireland at this stage and holding back players we don't need from playing down a tier isn't a great look.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

ronk wrote:Him accepting a call up at this stage could be an indicator that he's being released.

Or maybe he got an okay from the IRFU. They probably don't expect him to play for Ireland at this stage and holding back players we don't need from playing down a tier isn't a great look.
Agree with all that, but it'll leave him vulnerable around contract renewal time.

I have Bumbleflex
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

His Dad was an international so there's probably weight there. May as well get a cap while he can if he's off soon anyway. His back injury may not have fully healed either, he's only been making short appearances. It would be great for him to get capped while he can if that were the case.

Ireland's ruthlessness in the case of, e.g. McIlroy may have stored up some ill-will, especially with the recent rule change to encourage players to switch countries. Bradley Roberts was out the door fast too.

In the pro era I can't think of a single player that a province was happy to see start playing for their country while under contract.

For effectively no impact, the IRFU blazers can rebuff the strongest arguments in that direction.

Faz also has a different attitude to wider fixtures. We've seen a traditional tour of NZ, an emerging Ireland tour, an A game (and not just against the Saxons), Munster playing a touring side and even Leinster will play Chile.

The giveaway will be any public pronouncements by Leinster. If they make a big deal of congratulating him and celebrating this then they want the good karma. If they're openly or quietly hostile then they show that they want to discourage other multi-eligible players.