Leinster v Treviso Fri 23rd 7.35 TG4

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Leinster v Treviso Fri 23rd 7.35 TG4

Post by wixfjord »

According to Leo after the game on Sat:

'We've a couple of players being managed back, they will come back into the frame next week'

Hard to tell if he means for Treviso or Ulster. But potentially we may get a few Irish guys back for this game.

Connacht have their internationals back for the trip to SA, so likely that we'll have the option of bringing in a few.

We could see lighter used players from that tour like Larmour, McCarthy and Baird come in possibly.

If so, could see a selection like:

Byrne, Kelleher, Mike, Molony, Jenkins, Rhys, Connors, Deegan, McGrath, Byrne, DK, Ngatai, Osborne, Larmour, MOR
McKee, Milne, Vakh, McCarthy, Soroka, McCarthy, Frawley, Penny

Personally I'd have Milne starting and probably Soroka too at 6 for a run.
Would also have Foley benching.

With Harry seemingly in training we could see a change at 10 also.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Re: Leinster v Treviso Fri 23rd 7.35 TG4

Post by LeinsterLeader »

wixfjord wrote: September 19th, 2022, 9:10 am According to Leo after the game on Sat:

'We've a couple of players being managed back, they will come back into the frame next week'

Hard to tell if he means for Treviso or Ulster. But potentially we may get a few Irish guys back for this game.

Connacht have their internationals back for the trip to SA, so likely that we'll have the option of bringing in a few.

We could see lighter used players from that tour like Larmour, McCarthy and Baird come in possibly.

Byrne, Kelleher, Mike, Molony, Jenkins, Rhys, Connors, Deegan, McGrath, Byrne, DK, Ngatai, Osborne, Larmour, MOR

On the face of it, after the two games we've played so far, I think if we have the same backline again we'll be in trouble. You would expect an improvement from them without a doubt if they had to start again, but Benetton are a good side and know how to win in the RDS.

That said, we've spent years complaining that we don't get enough tough games in the league. Know it looks like we're gonna get em!
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

LeinsterLeader wrote: September 19th, 2022, 9:57 am
wixfjord wrote: September 19th, 2022, 9:10 am According to Leo after the game on Sat:

On the face of it, after the two games we've played so far, I think if we have the same backline again we'll be in trouble. You would expect an improvement from them without a doubt if they had to start again, but Benetton are a good side and know how to win in the RDS.

That said, we've spent years complaining that we don't get enough tough games in the league. Know it looks like we're gonna get em!
We got ourselves into a position to hammer Zebre but woeful defending allowed them back into the game, fair play to Zebre for not giving up but a lot of what happened last weekend was our own making.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Larmour for Russell would be a big upgrade.

But besides that, I don't think there are too many more changes you can make? Maybe Ross out for Frawley/Harry? Maybe Cosgrove onto the wing?

I think Ngatai needs game time and Osborne/MOR have shown their potential so deserve a chance to back it up.

I do think the backline needs time to knit together a bit in fairness, and likely that against Ulster most of these guys won't be starting too.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

wixfjord wrote: September 19th, 2022, 10:04 am

But besides that, I don't think there are too many more changes you can make? Maybe Ross out for Frawley/Harry? Maybe Cosgrove onto the wing?

I think Ngatai needs game time and Osborne/MOR have shown their potential so deserve a chance to back it up.

I do think the backline needs time to knit together a bit in fairness, and likely that against Ulster most of these guys won't be starting too.
That's a fair point, truth be told. I'm a bit reactionary :D
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

wixfjord wrote: September 19th, 2022, 10:04 am

Absolutely. Ngatai's track record shows that he is a very good player but he's coming into a completely different system attack and defensively. He looked a bit lost at time last weekend, he needs time. We've seen that with other lads coming in - they need to adapt to our systems and in some cases to adapt the way their body is built - Joe Tomane, a case in point.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Will the 11 players heading on the Emerging Ireland tour be available for this game?
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Flash Gordon wrote: September 19th, 2022, 10:53 am
Absolutely. Ngatai's track record shows that he is a very good player but he's coming into a completely different system attack and defensively. He looked a bit lost at time last weekend, he needs time. We've seen that with other lads coming in - they need to adapt to our systems and in some cases to adapt the way their body is built - Joe Tomane, a case in point.
Yep, that's a big one and Ngatai looks more like a backrower than a Leinster outside back at the moment, same as Tomane.

I think we really underestimate the quality work of our S&C team, the difference between French & URC rugby and the level of fitness we require from our players.

Hopefully this will come for Ngatai, but it's likely harder to change your body at 32.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

We also have a new backs coach.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

I'd like to see Abdaladze start. I thought Ala'alatoa didn't do much extra against Zebre for starters, and it's really getting quite urgent to see how much Vakh can do for us as a player. He has never started a match for us and has a really low total of career gametime.

Connors in the Penny is a simple call based on last week's game, which was one of the quietest I can remember Scott Penny having in his Leinster career. Other than those two, I thought the forwards were very strong.

Hopefully we can get Jimmy O'Brien into the team at fullback and Jordan Larmour at RW. O'Reilly and Russell gave us nothing against Zebre.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/sta ... MzVvQNtcRQ

Connacht getting Irish internationals back for SA tour. IIRC Lowe and Keenan are injured but we might get Jimmy O'Brien back and Larmour was in full training last week. No mention of Tommy O'Brien.

EDIT Long term injured
In addition, James Tracy underwent neck surgery over the summer and he will be out of action for a longer period of time, up to four months.

There was no update on Tommy O’Brien (knee) or Charlie Ryan (knee) who both remain on the long-term injured list.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

All of Rónan Kelleher (shoulder), Dave Kearney (hamstring), Will Connors (knee) and Ross Byrne (foot) came through the game at the weekend with no issues after recovering from their respective injuries.

There was also positive news on two players returning from injury with Joe McCarthy (ankle) and Jordan Larmour (knee) stepping into the final stages of their rehabilitation programmes this week.

There are no further updates on Hugo Keenan (abdominal and knee injury), James Lowe (calf), James Tracy (neck), Liam Turner (toe) and Tommy O’Brien (knee) who all remain sidelined.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

I'd definitely like to see Ngatai and Osborne again: the former needs time to bed in and, while he's very green, Osborne looks like a serious athlete and unit with a lot of potential.
I'd also like to see Frawley start at 10, and maybe move to 12 if Ngatai gets gassed again.
Larmour looked back on form against the Maori, so hopefully he can come back strongly and ensure a bit of competition in the back three.

Our scrum looked very good, for a first outing, against Zebre, who also have a decent scrum. I agree with those calling for a switcheroo with the props. We need both of them (Milne and Vakh) to start games.

Treviso will be bouncing after their win against Glasgow though. We need to get the balance right.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Let's wait and see how Zebre perform against other teams. Personally, I was very impressed by their fitness, their aggression in possession and the enterprise and inventiveness of their backs.

Certainly, our defensive performance gave them lots of latitude in attack. However, their ill discipline gave us copious opportunities of attacking line-outs in the first half and we build a margin for error during that period.

This is almost a new franchise. 21 changes in their roster and only one warm-up game , in which they shipped 30+ points to Ealing Trailfinders, wasn't an ideal preparation for the home team. However, if they can replicate most of their good points against their upcoming opponents, Sharks, Munster, Stormers and Scarlets, we'll know that there are two serious Italian teams in this league.
Last edited by Ruckedtobits on September 23rd, 2022, 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

I like that pack but worry about the back line. I’d like to see Frawley at 12 and Ngatai at 13 with Osborne 15. Agree about Foley covering 9 from the bench. Ross needs to be more aggressive in defense and in general we need to vary the attack rather than just going wide early every time
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Could be different for us, of course, but this line from a Munster press release about their forthcoming match on Sunday suggests we'll have a fuller deck to select from against Benetton.
On the player availability front, the 10 Munster players selected for the Emerging Ireland tour will not be available for selection. The Munster players who toured New Zealand with Ireland over the summer are available for selection.
https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2022/09/20/ ... ons-clash/
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Oh that will have a big impact, I assumed they'd be here until before Rd 3.

Osborne, Smith, Frawley, Clarkson, Milne, McCarthy, Deegan, Penny, Soroka, Deeny, Culhane gone will have a pretty big impact on selection and mean we'll see a lot more front liners.

Could be looking at Conan, Doris, Ringer, Healy, coming into the team then.

That's a bit ridiculous considering many of those named above would be getting actual provincial game time this round if they were allowed. Surely they don't leave until next Sun/Mon anyway?

Actually considering the Munster game is on Sun and ours is Friday, it's more likely our guys will be available.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

wixfjord wrote: September 20th, 2022, 12:07 pm Oh that will have a big impact, I assumed they'd be here until before Rd 3.

Osborne, Smith, Frawley, Clarkson, Milne, McCarthy, Deegan, Penny, Soroka, Deeny, Culhane gone will have a pretty big impact on selection and mean we'll see a lot more front liners.

Could be looking at Conan, Doris, Ringer, Healy, coming into the team then.

That's a bit ridiculous considering many of those named above would be getting actual provincial game time this round if they were allowed. Surely they don't leave until next Sun/Mon anyway?

Actually considering the Munster game is on Sun and ours is Friday, it's more likely our guys will be available.
You really wonder what the provincial coaching teams feel about all of this must be as frustrating as hell. Success correlates perfectly with increased adversity!
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Ulster won't have their Emerging Ireland squad players either for their game in Wales on Saturday.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

For anyone heading over to the game, some new stuff:

Laighin Den
The new Leinster Rugby indoor fanzone is launching this Friday at the corner of the South stand and Anglesea stand and we have a full line up of entertainment planned;

17.00 - Fanzone Opens
17.15 - Live music (Riff Shop Music)
18.30 - Player Q&A (MC Bernard Jackman)
19.00 - Live music until 15 mins before kick off
19.20 - Fanzone closes
19.35 - Match kick off
Final Whistle - Fanzone opens with live music (Rake the Ashes)
22.00 - Player Q&A (senior coach and player of the match)