Leinster v Glasgow Sat 26th Nov 3:15pm RTE/Premier Sports

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster v Glasgow Sat 26th Nov 3:15pm RTE/Premier Sports

Post by wixfjord »

naraic wrote: November 27th, 2022, 1:46 pm Have we come to a conclusion about Osbourne's long term position yet?

I was thinking 13 myself but given that Turner was there yesterday he could be looking at a different home.
I've always thought he could make a great 15 option a la RK. His fielding and kicking game can be better utilised at 15.

However I think he's probably being groomed as more of a centre at senior pro level and more likely to make a test breakthrough there.

His size might make it harder for him to cover ground at 15 and he maybe lacks a little bit of pace for the back three (although not slow!).

There have been claims on here that Leinster coaches don't see him as a 15 which clearly isn't true.

It seems Leo et al do however see him as more of a 13 but can also continue to play 15.

I do think he'll end up being a good step higher than Turner and probably an Ireland regular by the time he's 25. His trajectory has been absolutely crazy.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Henshaw started as a 15 (& wants to play there), is officially a 13 (& plays there when he can) and mostly plays 12.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: November 27th, 2022, 10:41 am
Ruckedtobits wrote: November 27th, 2022, 10:13 am Joe McC is going to have to improve his discipline if he wants to progress beyond interpro level, or even maintain his place at this level. His tackling is too high and sloppy I.e. his higher hits don't even knock players backwards. He is very strong but his technique ( in tackle & breakdowns including maul), doesn't allow him to apply that strength.
I don’t disagree in general but seemed to me like he was unlucky yesterday. The first tackle looked fine and the third one seemed to be mistaken identity and it was actually Ed Byrne who’d gone high. Maybe someone with a better view than me can say otherwise.

He’s such a nuisance at the breakdown, Glasgow needed three players to deal with him at times.

Whether I’m right or wrong about not agreeing with those decisions it’s crazy that the ref didn’t bin him after the third one. I’m not sure Glasgow cared enough to be angry about it but they should have been fuming.
Yeah, it was Ed Byrne with MacCarthy lower on the other side. Was only half watching o didn't see the others.

Thought Ross Bynre was lucky not to get a card.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

naraic wrote: November 27th, 2022, 1:46 pm Have we come to a conclusion about Osbourne's long term position yet?

I was thinking 13 myself but given that Turner was there yesterday he could be looking at a different home.
I think he’s a 15. Suits his game perfectly
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

It all depends where Munster see him. :shock:
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

the spoofer wrote:Btw, anyone know which of our lads was shouting “kill the f%~ker Mikie” at scrum time. That’s proper encouragement for the front row.
I heard this too and I think it was Baird. Which I was surprised about but I couldn't see any of the other back rows chatting. Jenkins has a South African accent and McKee a northern Ireland one. And I just don't think it was Molony either. Realistically the tight 5 were probably focusing on the hit.

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk

He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

arsebiscuits1 wrote: November 27th, 2022, 9:04 pm
the spoofer wrote:Btw, anyone know which of our lads was shouting “kill the f%~ker Mikie” at scrum time. That’s proper encouragement for the front row.
I heard this too and I think it was Baird. Which I was surprised about but I couldn't see any of the other back rows chatting. Jenkins has a South African accent and McKee a northern Ireland one. And I just don't think it was Molony either. Realistically the tight 5 were probably focusing on the hit.

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk
Have to say that's the first player I thought of when spoofer asked the question
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

curates_egg wrote: November 27th, 2022, 6:24 am I thought Molony was quietly excellent again. He plays such an important role in our attack too: taking it to the line, committing defenders and distributing.

His no-look pull back pass for the (last) Russell try was a thing of beauty. He has really perfected that skill. There aren’t many backs, let alone forwards, that can do it as well.

McGrath and Deegan also had very good games.
Ngatai is a super signing, enabling those young backs around him to shine.
Agree with all of that. Absolutely delighted to see Max back and in such great form. He's asking a serious question of a Starting Lions Number 8 which will hopefully push Conan along too. Also important to remember he's still just 26, if he stays fit he could still amass a tidy haul of Ireland caps.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Osborne did excellently for the first try.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

mildlyinterested wrote: November 28th, 2022, 11:11 am Osborne did excellently for the first try.
And for the last try too. Lovely weight on that kick.
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

Conan showed signs of return to his best in his appearance off the bench v Oz. It is clear that Doris is best at 8. Neither Conan nor Deegan are great at 6 so effectively the pair of them are battling for the role of Doris's backup for the crunch games. It's an incredible wealth of resources in the 8 position especially with Ruddock still playing some good rugby too.
Going back to the days of Denis Hickie senior, Willie Duggan and Mike Gibson II Leinster have invariably had really top class 8s. Long may that continue
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

enby wrote: November 28th, 2022, 1:18 pm Conan showed signs of return to his best in his appearance off the bench v Oz. It is clear that Doris is best at 8. Neither Conan nor Deegan are great at 6 so effectively the pair of them are battling for the role of Doris's backup for the crunch games. It's an incredible wealth of resources in the 8 position especially with Ruddock still playing some good rugby too.
Going back to the days of Denis Hickie senior, Willie Duggan and Mike Gibson II Leinster have invariably had really top class 8s. Long may that continue
Not to mention Vic Costello, Eric Miller and Jamie. You're right, it is a bit of a production line!
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

enby wrote: November 28th, 2022, 1:18 pm Conan showed signs of return to his best in his appearance off the bench v Oz. It is clear that Doris is best at 8. Neither Conan nor Deegan are great at 6 so effectively the pair of them are battling for the role of Doris's backup for the crunch games. It's an incredible wealth of resources in the 8 position especially with Ruddock still playing some good rugby too.
Yeah he did well against Oz. Since his form dipped he really hasn't been playing badly, but just nowhere near the levels he was at a year ago.

It's probably a moot point because we're unlikely to rest players but I wouldn't mind seeing a back row of Baird, Deegan (at 7), and Conan. That's no slight on Penny but I'd just like to see all three involved and that's probably the best way to do it.

Whatever about the rest of the team I'm doubling down on my belief that Ringrose should sit this one out after that injury report, he's just too important for Europe now to risk him here. I know there's a trade off with getting combinations ready but on balance I'd take that risk.

Edit: Good test of our defensive maul this week. I'm guessing Ryan, Jenkins, and Doris will all play and they're good at disrupting them. The Irish defensive maul was great so it'll be interesting to see what we've taken from there. Not sure who'll be at 6 for us but harder to compete in the lineout without POM and if Jenkins is there so big decision for Ryan in terms of being aggressive or not. Big Joe and Baird very good at breaking up mauls too but don't see either of them being involved, at least not from the start.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

With Henshaw out of European start and Charlie injured last week and possibly doubtful, we need Ringer and A. N. Other to have a run together before Racing.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Ruckedtobits wrote: November 28th, 2022, 5:05 pm With Henshaw out of European start and Charlie injured last week and possibly doubtful, we need Ringer and A. N. Other to have a run together before Racing.
Well, Liam Turner has certainly put himself in the reckoning with his recent performances, fair play to him. If I was going for a Byrne x2 solution, I think I'd prefer Harry at 10 and Ross at 12 than vice versa. But that's just me...
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Jimmy O'Brien played almost a full test match at centre, is that a good enough pedigree to risk him against Big Stu & Hume?
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

Ruckedtobits wrote: November 28th, 2022, 9:44 pm Jimmy O'Brien played almost a full test match at centre, is that a good enough pedigree to risk him against Big Stu & Hume?
Jimmy O'Brien will play. Not sure where.

Larmour and Lowe are planned to fully train wit the squad. If they are fit put them on both wings, O'Brien can go to centre partnered with Ringrose. Otherwise maybe Ringrose/Osbourne in the center with O'Brien staying on the wing.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Wow, finally got a chance to watch the match back on RTE and oh my god - the commentator (who I assume was the much lamented Hugh Cahill) was absolutely atrocious. Apart from being very obviously not a Leinster fan he talked more than once about Vakh Abdaladze playing against Wales and then went off on one about how Wales may have saved Pivac’s job by beating Australia 34-18!!!!
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Xanthippe wrote: November 28th, 2022, 11:41 pm Wow, finally got a chance to watch the match back on RTE and oh my god - the commentator (who I assume was the much lamented Hugh Cahill) was absolutely atrocious. Apart from being very obviously not a Leinster fan he talked more than once about Vakh Abdaladze playing against Wales and then went off on one about how Wales may have saved Pivac’s job by beating Australia 34-18!!!!
And at one stage, as Leinster laid siege to the Glasgow line, going through phase after phase, he engaged Fiona Coughlan in a discussion about her experience as member of the jury who picked the WR dream team and and JvdF as player of the year. She was actually embarrassed, fair play to her.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Cahill started that discussion as Leinster set up for a tap-and-go penalty from the 5m line. They were still going on about it as Milne crashed over for the bonus point try two phases later.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish