Taking media & other coverage of Leinster to the next level

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Re: Taking media & other coverage of Leinster to the next level

Post by artaneboy »

munster#1 wrote:Would it not be fair to say that media coverage, like all business, is supply based on demand?

If you look at things logically, it would look like the Munster online presence is larger than the Leinster one.
Just compare the forum for each club. The Munster one has far more activity than this one.
A good example is the match thread for both teams for this weekends games. Right now the Munster match thread on Munsterfans has 50% more posts than the Leinster one has on here.
Additionally, Munster matches topped the viewership numbers last season by some distance.

With the onset of social media based media coverage, podcasts and online articles, media outlets can measure the number of hits articles get.
If the media is more Munster centric, it is probably as a result of Munster related media gaining more traffic than Leinster related media.

Saying all that, I would much rather Munster beat Leinster on the field rather than in column inches.

Congratulations on topping your pool.
The man has a point…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

artaneboy wrote: January 21st, 2023, 6:57 pm
munster#1 wrote:Would it not be fair to say that media coverage, like all business, is supply based on demand?

If you look at things logically, it would look like the Munster online presence is larger than the Leinster one.
Just compare the forum for each club. The Munster one has far more activity than this one.
A good example is the match thread for both teams for this weekends games. Right now the Munster match thread on Munsterfans has 50% more posts than the Leinster one has on here.
Additionally, Munster matches topped the viewership numbers last season by some distance.

With the onset of social media based media coverage, podcasts and online articles, media outlets can measure the number of hits articles get.
If the media is more Munster centric, it is probably as a result of Munster related media gaining more traffic than Leinster related media.

Saying all that, I would much rather Munster beat Leinster on the field rather than in column inches.

Congratulations on topping your pool.
The man has a point…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He does, so he does...
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Such a point fails to take into account jobs for the boys.

But sure, there is a market for Munster fans being sold one eyed content which tells them what they want, not the truth. Somehow TRK makes a living.
Anyone But New Zealand
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

FLIP wrote: January 21st, 2023, 7:47 pm Such a point fails to take into account jobs for the boys.

But sure, there is a market for Munster fans being sold one eyed content which tells them what they want, not the truth. Somehow TRK makes a living.
I would imagine that such a point would most definitely take into account “jobs for the boys”.
Every bit of traffic is measurable. It would be clear as day if any and all forms of digital media involving former players gained more or less traffic.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

I think it's great that the media feed the Munster Fanboy's with their glorious achievements like getting into the top eight in the URC and qualifying yet again for the knock out (ahem last 16) of the European Cup. The more they talk up the new coaching ticket bedding in and reference signs of "progress" like getting the backs stringing three passes together, winning some games and the forwards actually being fit, the less likely a Lucifora raid on Leinster to is. Long may their overachieving mediocrity and the media love in continue. We'll keep our heads down and carry on 👍
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

For all the talk of there being a bigger market for the media for Munster supporters, the numbers don't add up when you look at attendances during the CC:

Anyone But New Zealand
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

FLIP wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 11:45 am For all the talk of there being a bigger market for the media for Munster supporters, the numbers don't add up when you look at attendances during the CC:

For me the fascination from this chart is the % figures. How do some of those Clubs expect to be solvent with such small capacities?
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

FLIP wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 11:45 am For all the talk of there being a bigger market for the media for Munster supporters, the numbers don't add up when you look at attendances during the CC:

Saracens still have no fans. The lowest numbers for any of the tournament winners.
Dont Panic!
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Very interesting stats, I wonder how many of those teams use ticket sales numbers rather than actual attendance numbers.

On the media market, you are trying to claim that the number of people to go to a game is directly related to the number of people who watch, listen to or read media relating to a team.
Last season’s URC viewership numbers show that that assumption is completely inaccurate as shown below:

Top 5 Games from Ireland
R2 Munster v DHL Stormers 538,909
R10 Munster v Ulster 523,707
R4 Munster v Connacht 521,110
R1 Munster v Cell C Sharks 484,267
R4 Ulster v Emirates Lions 468,993

Top 5 Derby Audiences (league-wide)
R16 Ulster v Munster 428,709
R15 Munster v Leinster 402,534
R6 Leinster v Ulster 401,603

Despite Leinster having the highest attendance in the URC, they didn’t even feature in the top 5 viewed games in Ireland.

Additionally, as TV is only one metric, if you compare the Leinster v Racing thread on here to the Toulouse v Munster one on Munsterfans.com you can see that there are approx 3 times the number of posts on the Munster thread, despite Munster losing.

Again, I would like to clarify that I am not trying to claim a victory here, as I would much rather have 4 stars on the Munster jersey than having a bigger media presence.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

munster#1 wrote:

Very interesting stats, I wonder how many of those teams use ticket sales numbers rather than actual attendance numbers.

On the media market, you are trying to claim that the number of people to go to a game is directly related to the number of people who watch, listen to or read media relating to a team.
Last season’s URC viewership numbers show that that assumption is completely inaccurate as shown below:

Top 5 Games from Ireland
R2 Munster v DHL Stormers 538,909
R1 Munster v Cell C Sharks 484,267
R4 Ulster v Emirates Lions 468,993

Top 5 Derby Audiences (league-wide)
R16 Ulster v Munster 428,709
R15 Munster v Leinster 402,534
R6 Leinster v Ulster 401,603

Despite Leinster having the highest attendance in the URC, they didn’t even feature in the top 5 viewed games in Ireland.

Additionally, as TV is only one metric, if you compare the Leinster v Racing thread on here to the Toulouse v Munster one on Munsterfans.com you can see that there are approx 3 times the number of posts on the Munster thread, despite Munster losing.

Again, I would like to clarify that I am not trying to claim a victory here, as I would much rather have 4 stars on the Munster jersey than having a bigger media presence.
We think of it a bit like centres... We try to go for quality over quantity Image

Seriously though... I do think there is a bigger "casual" following / interest in Munster rugby. The various radio and podcasts are not dumb. They are servicing the market that's there. If folk are complaining about them while still listening to them it just adds to their numbers

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

It's a circular argument, if you don't cater to a market segment you won't get the audience.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

So, having exhausted the other podcast options, I had a listen to Maddie and Darce on OTB after I woke up this morning.

As a bit of balance to the usual OTB shite, Maddie is so one-eyed for Leinster and clearly can't stand Munster. Even Darce was fighting Munster's corner.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Yeah, Williams was having none of the Munster love in, which was funny as he was pushing back a bit too hard.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

curates_egg wrote: January 24th, 2023, 10:00 am So, having exhausted the other podcast options, I had a listen to Maddie and Darce on OTB after I woke up this morning.

As a bit of balance to the usual OTB shite, Maddie is so one-eyed for Leinster and clearly can't stand Munster. Even Darce was fighting Munster's corner.
Sounds entertaining. Will have to give it a listen later. Grma!
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Ruckedtobits wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 6:35 pm

For me the fascination from this chart is the % figures. How do some of those Clubs expect to be solvent with such small capacities?
There's an info graphic out there somewhere from the mid to late 10s about the difference in funding for the 3 NH leagues and the Irish provinces. The French and English funding model is based far more on TV revenue. Thats seen as the growth model as it's less capital intensive and you can always move to a bigger stadium for a big one off if you build enough of a TV audience. IMO etc.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles