Leinster v Ulster: HC Last 16; April 1st

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

cormac
Rob Kearney

Re: Leinster v Ulster: HC Last 16; April 1st

Post by cormac »

From memory the internationals involved yesterday only return to training this Thursday (excludes squad members not involved) so would imagine their focus will immediately be on the Ulster match.

Concerns over Sexton and Keenan from yesterday's match.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

johnny watterson

@wattersonjohnny
The bad news for Leinster is Johnny Sexton said ‘not too great’ when asked about the groin injury he picked up against England
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

A fair few players walking up to the podium yesterday were limping.
JGP, Sexton and POM to name just three. The 6Ns has been very attritional considering Ireland had to use 36 players throughout.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

Oldschool wrote: March 19th, 2023, 10:40 am A fair few players walking up to the podium yesterday were limping.
JGP, Sexton and POM to name just three. The 6Ns has been very attritional considering Ireland had to use 36 players throughout.
Jonny's limp very pronounced leaving the post match dinner/reception. Looking at his limp I'd be very surprised if he's even back for the QF in 3 weeks.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

https://www.epcrugby.com/2023/03/21/epc ... d-of-16-2/

Luke Pearce the referee for the game.
Dundalk 1
Bookworm

Post by Dundalk 1 »

neill_m wrote: March 21st, 2023, 12:58 pm https://www.epcrugby.com/2023/03/21/epc ... d-of-16-2/

Better than having Frank Murphy or Andrew Brace with Joy as TMO
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Dundalk 1 wrote: March 21st, 2023, 1:21 pm
neill_m wrote: March 21st, 2023, 12:58 pm https://www.epcrugby.com/2023/03/21/epc ... d-of-16-2/

European game so always neutral referee / TMO.
Dundalk 1
Bookworm

Post by Dundalk 1 »

neill_m wrote: March 21st, 2023, 1:22 pm
Dundalk 1 wrote: March 21st, 2023, 1:21 pm

European game so always neutral referee / TMO.
Are you suggesting the Munster officials wouldn’t be neutral!!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I've no idea what it's like to be a pro athlete, but I do know what it's like to go on a 4 day bender in your mid 20s, and it takes a little bit to get over. Will be hard for some to get their heads back into the grind and prepare for a big Euro knockout derby.

It would be a massive shame if we went out undercooked and threw away all the good work, so I wonder might Leo et al choose to keep a few guys who weren't in the 6N 23 in the starting side for this game to ensure there aren't too many lads blowing out dirty petrol?

I'm thinking of the likes of Molony, Penny, Frawley, Deegan, Luke, Mike.

Or will they back the fitness, cohesion and quality of the guys to come back in and do a job straight away.
Observingprop123
Mullet

Post by Observingprop123 »

wixfjord wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 11:52 am I've no idea what it's like to be a pro athlete, but I do know what it's like to go on a 4 day bender in your mid 20s, and it takes a little bit to get over. Will be hard for some to get their heads back into the grind and prepare for a big Euro knockout derby.

It would be a massive shame if we went out undercooked and threw away all the good work, so I wonder might Leo et al choose to keep a few guys who weren't in the 6N 23 in the starting side for this game to ensure there aren't too many lads blowing out dirty petrol?

Or will they back the fitness, cohesion and quality of the guys to come back in and do a job straight away.
I was thinking this but I'm sure the coaches have allowed them to do it. Probably had a rest week this week so we're allowed for a few days.

Saw the Leinster lads on the piss Post the connacht match last year and it gave me the impression that they're probably on it more than you'd think.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Observingprop123 wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 12:35 pm
wixfjord wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 11:52 am I've no idea what it's like to be a pro athlete, but I do know what it's like to go on a 4 day bender in your mid 20s, and it takes a little bit to get over. Will be hard for some to get their heads back into the grind and prepare for a big Euro knockout derby.

I was thinking this but I'm sure the coaches have allowed them to do it. Probably had a rest week this week so we're allowed for a few days.

Saw the Leinster lads on the piss Post the connacht match last year and it gave me the impression that they're probably on it more than you'd think.
Oh I'm sure they've been allowed to do what they want on rest week and they'll be well prepped for Ulster.

It's definitely not the best preparation to turn around after a huge emotional high and four days on the sauce to go into another massive knockout game though. We've seen that go badly plenty of times before.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

wixfjord wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 12:54 pm

It's definitely not the best preparation to turn around after a huge emotional high and four days on the sauce to go into another massive knockout game though. We've seen that go badly plenty of times before.
Ireland won grand slams in 2009 and 2018, hopefully Leinster have the same result as they did those years.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

ronk wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 1:08 pm

Ireland won grand slams in 2009 and 2018, hopefully Leinster have the same result as they did those years.
+1.
My thoughts precisely. An essential aspect of team preparation and maintenance of confidence is ensuring / allowing the celebration of achievements. By about now, many, if not all of the Squad are really looking forward to a real training blow-out and hard sweat. Sitting down, drinking and talking is not the normal state for elite athletes. After four days, you've said or heard most of what's needed till the next time and you begin to relish the opportunity of "the next time". We're fortunate that the next couple of opportunities are games they can easily get up for.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Hopefully so, but we also should remember what has happened in league knockout games after big Euro wins or exits over the years.

2018 against Sarries was two weeks after the GS win albeit with less overlap between Ireland and Leinster.
2009 was three weeks after the GS when we faced Quins.

Keeping momentum after a big win is brilliant and I'm sure they'll be on a high.

But it'll be a challenge to turn around emotionally and physically too. Particularly given Ulster have so little players on the team.

Am sure we'll be well up for it and Stuesday will knock it out of them, but I wouldn't be surprised to see some rotation in players.
Last edited by wixfjord on March 23rd, 2023, 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

You're braver than me, Ronk. Such thoughts I keep to myself..... :wink:
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Additions to playing squad for knockout games:

Hugh Cooney (centre), Fintan Gunne (scrum half), Gus McCarthy (hooker)

Not sure how much to read into that, I assume literally the whole senior squad incl academy is registered so this is just having the ability to bring guys along on match days I'd imagine.

Great boost for the three lads though and clear who will be joining academy next year.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

wixfjord wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 2:34 pm Additions to playing squad for knockout games:

Hugh Cooney (centre), Fintan Gunne (scrum half), Gus McCarthy (hooker)

Not sure how much to read into that, I assume literally the whole senior squad incl academy is registered so this is just having the ability to bring guys along on match days I'd imagine.

Great boost for the three lads though and clear who will be joining academy next year.
It's probably cover in the wider squad due to the injuries to Osborne/Ngatai, Foley and Kelleher.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

There's no doubt if I was an Ulster supporter the sights and sounds of the celebrations this week would warm the cockles of my hart alright. But what can you do? As a Leinster supporter all you can do is shrug your shoulders and hope it won't make too much of a difference in the final shake-up. It would certainly be churlish to begrudge the guys their celebrations, but I think you're right, I think in has to come into the equation.

When you think about it Ulster will have been concentrating on this fixture and planning for it, almost without disruption (or much), since it was announced. Most of the Leinster 23 won't have even thought about it yet and probably won't start seriously thinking about it until Monday. That has to make a difference surely! How much of a difference is the question.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

LeinsterLeader wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 4:44 pm

There's no doubt if I was an Ulster supporter the sights and sounds of the celebrations this week would warm the cockles of my hart alright. But what can you do? As a Leinster supporter all you can do is shrug your shoulders and hope it won't make too much of a difference in the final shake-up. It would certainly be churlish to begrudge the guys their celebrations, but I think you're right, I think in has to come into the equation.

When you think about it Ulster will have been concentrating on this fixture and planning for it, almost without disruption (or much), since it was announced. Most of the Leinster 23 won't have even thought about it yet and probably won't start seriously thinking about it until Monday. That has to make a difference surely! How much of a difference is the question.
Yep exactly.

I've absolutely no issue with lads celebrating a brilliant win.

But it's probably not great prep, so as per the original post, I wonder might we select with that in mind to ensure the team is the right mix of Irish 23 heads and guys who've been playing in blue through the 6Ns.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

LeinsterLeader wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 4:44 pm

If it's any consolation, I spotted Tom O'Toole among the party of revellers showed up at Ringer's gaff yesterday.