Roberts named HSBC player of the series

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

munster#1
Shane Jennings

Roberts named HSBC player of the series

Post by munster#1 »

Shaw was second with our very own Tommy Bowe third
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Exley
Bookworm

Re: Roberts named HSBC player of the series

Post by Exley »

I would have Philips high on that list.
benchwarmer
Beginner

Post by benchwarmer »

Nah Phillips wasn't anything spectcular till the tests, even then he wasn't as awesome as couple of others
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Fair play to the guy. Wouldn't have been my choice but so what. I'm sure Monye got a lot of votes too.
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Possibly wouldn't have gone for him personally, but can't argue with it either. Wouldn't have though Shaw woud get that high (again not saying he was poor). I'm sure Sky will set up a campaign to appeal it for Shane Williams. ...
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Who would you guys have gone for? It's hard to pick one single player of the tour. A few players surprised me, including Simon Shaw, and Riki Flutey's outstanding performance on Saturday.

Is Rob Kearney now a world class 15? Is Shaw the complete second row, as Liam Toland suggested? Have we drastically under-rated Adam Jones? Despite his "cult status", is Tommy Bowe even guaranteed a place for Ireland next season?
true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

BOD, Kearney, Heaslip???
"Hickie is racing away, he's gonna get past Pelous. He's gotta time his pass, D'arcy back to Hickie... HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! That is awesome!"
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

LEINSTER- MAGNERS LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 2008
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

The player of the series was Bowe by a country mile. He barely put a foot wrong in the 7 matches he was involved in, including all three tests, and was second top scorer with 4 tries. Roberts was great but I'd still have Tommy ahead of him. Shaw played one good match so I don't see how he should be up so high.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
orfeo
Bookworm

Post by orfeo »

suisse wrote:Who would you guys have gone for? It's hard to pick one single player of the tour. A few players surprised me, including Simon Shaw, and Riki Flutey's outstanding performance on Saturday.

Is Rob Kearney now a world class 15? Is Shaw the complete second row, as Liam Toland suggested? Have we drastically under-rated Adam Jones? Despite his "cult status", is Tommy Bowe even guaranteed a place for Ireland next season?
Stephen Jones, recovered from a wobble in the first test , got better as the series progressed and was immense in the 3rd test
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

First Test - BOD

Second Test - Super Rob

Third Test - Jamie

But then I'm biased like that! :D

Roberts was great in first game, but I think Bod pipped him. Shaw was amazing in second but Kearney played out of his skin. Jamie was outstanding in third test, Flutey was excellent too. Bod was top notch in second test and for that and his other performances he was my player of the series.

Not sold on Phillips I know everybody raves about him but he takes the ball into contact too often for my liking for a scrum half, so he's often at the bottom of a ruck and the ball is retrieved by another forward or back and when he is on hand I find his delivery too slow. I'm probably very wrong that's just my take on the guy.
downsouthdukin
Mullet

Post by downsouthdukin »

over the entire series
1. Roberts
2. Bowe
3. Jones/adam and stephan

over the tests
1. Roberts
2. Kearney
3. Jones/adam and stephan
Big match from Munster.Don't really understand the criticism of their so called ugly rugby.I love open running rugby but I also admire the collective mastery of this Munster team.What a beautiful machine with that ruthless side to them.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Bowe played the 3rd test of out position but was still amazing.
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

tones wrote:Possibly wouldn't have gone for him personally, but can't argue with it either. Wouldn't have though Shaw woud get that high (again not saying he was poor). I'm sure Sky will set up a campaign to appeal it for Shane Williams. ...
Tom Croft surely! With Shane a close second
leinsterlank
Knowledgeable

Post by leinsterlank »

I am pretty happy with roberts beings selected. The guy has had a massive year in terms of experience and his consistent excellence and ability to break the gain line warrants recognition. He was one of the few on the tour who's position was never in doubt and a huge contributor to the team.
"It feels great. I've played for the team for 10 years and it was worth the wait. I love Leinster and I wanted to do it before the end of my career."

- BOD, Heineken Cup and Grand Slam Winner 2009
Leezer
Enlightened

Post by Leezer »

Tom Shanklin without a doubt :lol:
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” - Frank Sinatra

Stalk me on ye olde Tweet Machine!!!!!!!
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Kearney, Heaslip or Jenkins. As I said though, I dont really have a problem with that verdict.
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
dipper
Knowledgeable

Post by dipper »

Roberts was class. Bowe, BOD, Kearney or Shaw could have won it either. Ferris and Phillips enhanced their reputations big time too. Really looking forward to seeing Ferris in the Autumn Internationals.
BPH
Beginner

Post by BPH »

suisse wrote:Who would you guys have gone for? It's hard to pick one single player of the tour. A few players surprised me, including Simon Shaw, and Riki Flutey's outstanding performance on Saturday.

Erm, you what? I understand, as a Leinster fan, you're desperately hoping it's an all-Leinster back 3 or whatever. Maybe Earls despite not playing there for his club? But, suffice to say, I think the best winger in the 6N will probably get his start for Ireland.

Still and all, what an odd, odd thing to say :? Surely Lukey's position is under a lot more threat (although, even at that, it's still fairly secure)
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

BPH wrote:

Erm, you what? I understand, as a Leinster fan, you're desperately hoping it's an all-Leinster back 3 or whatever. Maybe Earls despite not playing there for his club? But, suffice to say, I think the best winger in the 6N will probably get his start for Ireland.

Still and all, what an odd, odd thing to say :? Surely Lukey's position is under a lot more threat (although, even at that, it's still fairly secure)
From who exactly?
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

Who is Fitz's position under threat from exactly? He had a savage season, he's one of the first names on the teamsheet. Earls is going to have to wait.