Sevens

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

naraic
Mullet

Re: Sevens

Post by naraic »

Its a pity that Ireland's men slipped up this morning against Uruguay this morning and we are fighting for 9th place this weekend.

Roche red card I believe.
Up Wexford
Bookworm

Post by Up Wexford »

Bummer alright, good momentum from Dubai. Drew in first game vs Spain last week too so they need to get up an hour earlier next time! Big scalp vs Fiji but didnt make the quarters due to points diff due to a late Fiji try I think. The tour seems pretty class, i can understand players passing up the chance to play 15's to go jet setting around the world instead!
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

It was Samoa in the last game. We would generally be considered better than them at the moment so it wouldn't really be considered a scalp.
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

Irish womens starting now in the bronze medal match against usa.

Edit: Ireland lost 12-20. USA missed the conversion on 4 tries.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Women went well in NZ until coming up against a very strong Aus team in Q/F. Likewise the men, beaten by 10-5 by NZ. However, they then beat SA before falling to a defeat by Aus in 5th place game.

Irish teams are playing well but these are very tough, high-class competitions.
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

In the HSBC 7s series standings the Irish women are 4th and the men are in 9th.

Top 4 get Olympic qualifying.

For the women France (in 5th) qualify as the hosts and Great Britain are in 6th. If France overtake Ireland the Irish will still qualify and if Great Britain overtake Ireland, Ireland will have to go through the European qualifier which should be easy with France and UK out of it. Fiji who are in 7th (12 points behind Ireland) are the next threat.

The Irish men are in 9th and 13 points behind South Africa in 4th. Qualifying through the world series is not an easy qualification path but the European qualifier will likely come down to Ireland and Great Britain with the loser going into the repechange. It feels like the men really miss Terry Kennedy. Only Jordan Conroy is managing to be in the top 30 try scorers for the series and not a single Irish player is in the DHL impact table top 10.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Wow, checking the 7s scores this morning and I actually can’t remember the last time our boys lost all three of their pool games.

Not sure what was going on but things definitely weren’t clicking for them.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Xanthippe wrote: April 8th, 2023, 12:28 pm Wow, checking the 7s scores this morning and I actually can’t remember the last time our boys lost all three of their pool games.

Discard the captain without any comment and look what happens. Unless Billy Dardis is injured he should be there.
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

Ruckedtobits wrote: April 8th, 2023, 2:47 pm
Xanthippe wrote: April 8th, 2023, 12:28 pm Wow, checking the 7s scores this morning and I actually can’t remember the last time our boys lost all three of their pool games.

Discard the captain without any comment and look what happens. Unless Billy Dardis is injured he should be there.
6 of the squad from last years world cup is in the current squad for this event.

I know Terry Kennedy is on a sabbatical but other than that I'm not sure if players have retired or there's an injury crisis or someone has decided to sacrifice a few events for development purposes.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

jeffreyroundtree wrote: April 9th, 2023, 6:06 pm*** Edited by Mod ***
Mike Ross got injured last year at Twickenham? Sorry, I'm confused 🤔
Dont Panic!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Dexter wrote: April 9th, 2023, 9:30 pm
jeffreyroundtree wrote: April 9th, 2023, 6:06 pm*** Edited my Mod ***
Thats a post I made in feb 2013 - very weird, especially 'accessories' for props
I have Bumbleflex
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Dave Cahill wrote: April 9th, 2023, 9:38 pm
Dexter wrote: April 9th, 2023, 9:30 pm
jeffreyroundtree wrote: April 9th, 2023, 6:06 pm*** Edited my Mod ***
Thats a post I made in feb 2013 - very weird, especially 'accessories' for props
This gets weirder....
Dont Panic!
Schumi
Enlightened

Post by Schumi »

Some kind of spambot I assume.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Women's Sevens started very well in Toulouse this morning by beating France with 5 tries.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Ruckedtobits wrote: May 12th, 2023, 4:13 pm Women's Sevens started very well in Toulouse this morning by beating France with 5 tries.
Women beaten 5 tries to 2 by Oz having led 5-12 at h-t. Will probably make q/f though and should play GB or Fiji
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

Ruckedtobits wrote: May 12th, 2023, 8:23 pm
Ruckedtobits wrote: May 12th, 2023, 4:13 pm Women's Sevens started very well in Toulouse this morning by beating France with 5 tries.
Women beaten 5 tries to 2 by Oz having led 5-12 at h-t. Will probably make q/f though and should play GB or Fiji
That will be an important game. Ireland are 2 points ahead of Fiji and 4 ahead of GB with the top team of the 3 poised to win Olympic qualification.

If we don't win I guess we hope for GB qualification (as it will make the backdoor European qualifier easier).
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

They beat Fiji 10-5 and have qualified for the Olympics!
Well done.
Dont Panic!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Big congrats to Women's Sevens on qualification for Olympics. Delighted for the Squad and all in Women's rugby in Ireland.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Two more good performances from Men's and Woman's Squad in the Europe Sevens Championship in the Algarve. Undefeated in both competitions so far, both teams have semi-finals this morning. Good to see Terry Kennedy straight back to top form and Beibhann Parsons has collected two hat-tricks in three games for the Women

Good luck to both Squads today.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

The Men won their competition beating Georgia in the Final. Women beaten by France in the Semi, with a very inexperienced team, by 0-29. However they won the Bronze final.