France vs Ireland, 31 Oct - 8pm

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

hugonaut
Shane Jennings

France vs Ireland, 31 Oct - 8pm

Post by hugonaut »

For a French national team coach, Galthie has been extremely consistent in his selection over the extended course of this championship. He picked the same team against Wales last week [here: http://en.espn.co.uk/statsguru/rugby/match/306550.html] as he did for the first game of the championship, at home to England in February [here: https://www.espn.com/rugby/playerstats? ... gue=180659 ]. On that evidence, I would venture that there will be very few changes.

There will be one enforced change: Teddy Thomas has been ruled out of this game due to a hamstring strain [source: https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.4392271 ]. Given that Damian Penaud is already confirmed out with a high ankle sprain [source: https://www.ultimaterugby.com/app/publi ... ned/630596 ], it means that France's two most dangerous wingers are sidelined.

With that said, France's attacking threats in the half-backs and the centres are the most dangerous in the tournament at the moment. Dupont, Ntamack, Fickou and Vakatawa are playing well both as individuals and as a combination. There's a huge midfield threat.

I feel that the physicality of their replacement front five forwards - Chat, Bamba & Taofifenua in particular – may prove a problem for us. They're exceptionally strong by any standards, and I don't think we match up well with them.

Personally speaking, I think four tries in Paris is beyond us. But we'll see!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Re: France vs Ireland, 31 Oct - 8pm

Post by fourthirtythree »

To make myself miserable I've been watching Dupont highlight reels...
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Anyone who played against Wales can only play twice more until January which will come into Galthie's equations
I have Bumbleflex
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Gonna be interesting but I think the intensity required here will be more than they are ready to give.

I'm not that worried about it, but I don't see us getting a result.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Not sure I'm on the France bandwagon yet. I watched the match against Wales and with 60min on the clock there were 8 points ahead and Wales missed a few chances. Wales were not very good at all.

The French looked shaky under the high ball and conceded a lot of penalties, many for being slow to the breakdown. That's where I think we can target them and I thought the Irish tesm looked very sharp at the breakdown against Italy. Connors chopping them will allow us opportunities at the breakdown and the new interpretation favours getting to the breakdown first.

They also made a good few handling errors.

Their half backs are excellent and kicked very well and they can and probably will score some quality tries but I'd give us a chance especially if there are few scrums.

They looked very physical against Wales but it lessened as the match wore on. So I think the strategy should be to play at a high tempo, test them out with a few kicks especially early on and target the breakdown.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

And le Roux got off apparently. Bit surprising to me. Maybe the panel decided that AWJ was reallyz reallyz really, asking for it.

Which he totally was to be fair. But it's not something they usually take into account.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

fourthirtythree wrote: October 27th, 2020, 11:39 pm And le Roux got off apparently. Bit surprising to me. Maybe the panel decided that AWJ was reallyz reallyz really, asking for it.

Which he totally was to be fair. But it's not something they usually take into account.
Baffling decision if compared with the suspension of SOB for his tap on the tummy against Pascal Papé at the 2015 World Cup.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

This will be the real test of where this Irish team are, we will learn if the Italians flattered us, or if we have actually progressed our game.

I think a victory is definitely possible, but not so sure that a four try victory is.
The bench will play a massive part in this, and not sure that we have the quality available to increase the intensity to the required level.

It looks like Earls is available for selection, so is likely to take Henshaw’s spot on the bench, which will be a big boost.
Outside of that, there is no real impact on that bench, largely replacing like for like.
We are missing a Sean Cronin type figure.

All that aside, I am really looking forward to this game, France V Ireland is rarely a boring encounter, and who knows, the Italians may have done us a favour prior to kick off.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
betty swallocks
Bookworm

Post by betty swallocks »

Given the grunt imperative, Farrell may actually start with Roux as I would be very worried about a Porter/Beirne scrummaging combo vs that French pack. Beirne could then add a little mobility off the bench later once the physicality markers have been laid down. Franno mightn't like it, but it would be a horses for courses selection. If Earls isn't fit I wouldn't rule out Chris Farrell starting 13 with Henshaw at 23 either!
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Team’s out. Henshaw at 13, Farrell on the bench.
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

Twist wrote: October 28th, 2020, 12:24 pm Image

Team’s out. Henshaw at 13, Farrell on the bench.
JGP obviously not seriously hurt which is good.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

betty swallocks wrote: October 28th, 2020, 11:39 am Given the grunt imperative, Farrell may actually start with Roux as I would be very worried about a Porter/Beirne scrummaging combo vs that French pack. Beirne could then add a little mobility off the bench later once the physicality markers have been laid down. Franno mightn't like it, but it would be a horses for courses selection. If Earls isn't fit I wouldn't rule out Chris Farrell starting 13 with Henshaw at 23 either!
With Connors playing 7, there is a huge opportunity for a poacher to cause a lot damage against the French. With Healy and Stander the main poaching threats it's a toss up as to whether you want POM or Beirne in there to share the load.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Last weekend Beirne, arguably the best poacher in the squad at least under the old interpretation, was tackler, not second man in. I don't think it can have been by accident.
Last edited by fourthirtythree on October 28th, 2020, 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Peg Leg wrote: October 28th, 2020, 1:09 pm
betty swallocks wrote: October 28th, 2020, 11:39 am Given the grunt imperative, Farrell may actually start with Roux as I would be very worried about a Porter/Beirne scrummaging combo vs that French pack. Beirne could then add a little mobility off the bench later once the physicality markers have been laid down. Franno mightn't like it, but it would be a horses for courses selection. If Earls isn't fit I wouldn't rule out Chris Farrell starting 13 with Henshaw at 23 either!
With Connors playing 7, there is a huge opportunity for a poacher to cause a lot damage against the French. With Healy and Stander the main poaching threats it's a toss up as to whether you want POM or Beirne in there to share the load.
My double headed coin says Beirne.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Good article on the upcoming fixture here by Simon Gleave:
https://www.sixnationsrugby.com/2020/10 ... ed-by-aws/
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

We won’t win as we are too far off a first team selection. Especially front 5.

Kelleher (Sheehan), Tadhg, Henderson, Leavy, Ringer & Lowe.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Church for the century. Delighted for him
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

RoboProp wrote: October 28th, 2020, 6:06 pm Church for the century. Delighted for him
*1 :clap:
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

James Ryan packs down behind Andrew Porter, Beirne packs down on Loosehead side behind Healy
bronxbull
Knowledgeable

Post by bronxbull »

Could this match be under threat of postponement after the cancellation of the Women's game this evening?

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk