Women's Rugby World Cup

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: Women's Rugby World Cup

Post by Oldschool »

What exactly are the signatories to the letter looking for.
They've had their go so what next?
Are they looking to negotiate a "deal".
If so what kind of a "deal" are they looking for.
Were I them I'd be trying to get my agenda on the table rather than waiting for the IRFU to read my mind and tell me what I want and what is best for me.
Not knowing any of the signatories there's no way of knowing if there are the kind of personalities there to dog out a deal that could take quite a while to negotiate.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
heno
Knowledgeable

Post by heno »

Oldschool wrote:What exactly are the signatories to the letter looking for.
Were I them I'd be trying to get my agenda on the table rather than waiting for the IRFU to read my mind and tell me what I want and what is best for me.
Not knowing any of the signatories there's no way of knowing if there are the kind of personalities there to dog out a deal that could take quite a while to negotiate.
They have publicly written a letter to the ministers with what they want, and asked them to back them up with the IRFU. They have already gotten the first thing they want which is the reports to be made public, they have a meeting with the ministers in Jan and a commitment from the irfu to talk to them.
They literally are doing what you have suggested.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

heno wrote: December 19th, 2021, 11:52 am
They have publicly written a letter to the ministers with what they want, and asked them to back them up with the IRFU. They have already gotten the first thing they want which is the reports to be made public, they have a meeting with the ministers in Jan and a commitment from the irfu to talk to them.

I beg to differ. Megaphone diplomacy doesn't work.
The minister is not going to take sides until due process has been followed.
He'll be encouraging the parties to get together to try to resolve their differences.
Ultimately this can only be resolved by the IRFU and Women's representative sitting down, thrashing out the issues and being very clear what it is they want from the process. IE Get your shopping list sorted.
Proper dressing room facilities would be a good place to start because the IRFU can be given a good kicking over it and at the same time it should be relatively easy to solve.
BTW reports are just that and they often reflect the ideal world.
They often don't reflect the constraints, finance being a big one.
A simple example, polls taken suggest that there is a significant majority of people in favour of a United Ireland.
But (in the same poll) when the same people are asked are they prepared to pay for it with tax increases there is a majority of people opposed to a United Ireland.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

hugonaut wrote: December 18th, 2021, 12:13 am
paddyor wrote: December 17th, 2021, 6:41 pm A listener to the 42 made a good point about publishing the reports. How far would they go(like are they going to go in dept to the interviews that were done with the players and coaches etc?). IN general I think the 42 weekly were quite balanced about it. IRFU really shat the bed with their statement whatever the merits of the letter. As to the Politicians witholding funding meh. Reminds of that great gif of POC in the first Lions test in 2005 where he supermans into a ruck near the NZ ine and goes striaght over it giving away a peno. Must find that.
It will be fascinating to see them, but I'm very surprised. To quote a very appropriate Eddie O'Sullivan-ism, you can't unring a bell.

This is very sensitive information. It could significantly affect people's professional lives, their earning ability, their reputation, their self-esteem and [I don't think this is over-stating it, but others may disagree] their mental health. I am referring to all those involved: players, coaches, support staff, administrators etc.

Did those interviewed know that the reports were going to be published and released to the general public? It seems unlikely. I don't think they were originally intended to be.

Have all interviews been carried out, or are some still outstanding? If it is the latter case, I would expect a very different tenor [the word of the moment] from those who were interviewed for a limited audience report and those who are interviewed for a public report.

Have employees or committee members of the IRFU seen a draft of the reports? The IRFU commissioned them and are paying for them; they own them. This might be edging towards a conspiracy theory, but if they have received a draft that casts them as not too bad, they would obviously be more likely to release it to the public.

And on the other hand, if the players whitewash their own under-performance – after all, they lost to Spain [who have a womens' senior playing population of 707 players] and Scotland [who have a womens' senior playing population of 642 players, with both figures based on the most recent available numbers here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_r ... _countries ] – does that make the report worthwhile at all? Will there be anything actually learned from it? Or will it just become a bunch of newspaper stories with a load of juicy pull-quotes as with the leaked England RWC11 reviews?

Reports re: leaked English reviews of RWC11
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2011/ ... ked-report
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... lysis.html

Interesting reading back thru those Guardian and Mail articles. Seems like the only who ones, who emerged with their reputations enhanced, were of the players Ben Youngs and of the coaches Graham Rowntree.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

riocard911 wrote: December 19th, 2021, 10:10 pmInteresting reading back thru those Guardian and Mail articles. Seems like the only who ones, who emerged with their reputations enhanced, were of the players Ben Youngs and of the coaches Graham Rowntree.
Seems to be a pretty consistent theme with Ben Youngs tbf.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

ormond lad
Graduate

Post by ormond lad »

Oldschool wrote: December 19th, 2021, 12:33 pm
heno wrote: December 19th, 2021, 11:52 am

He'll be encouraging the parties to get together to try to resolve their differences.
Ultimately this can only be resolved by the IRFU and Women's representative sitting down, thrashing out the issues and being very clear what it is they want from the process. IE Get your shopping list sorted.
Proper dressing room facilities would be a good place to start because the IRFU can be given a good kicking over it and at the same time it should be relatively easy to solve.
A simple example, polls taken suggest that there is a significant majority of people in favour of a United Ireland.
But (in the same poll) when the same people are asked are they prepared to pay for it with tax increases there is a majority of people opposed to a United Ireland.
Megaphone diplomacy works if it gets meetings/progress that wouldnt have happened without it.
Women have proper facilities normally. That was a covid issue and should never have happened
They have been very clear in what they are looking for. The deal they are looking for is quite clear as well.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

ormond lad wrote: December 21st, 2021, 10:47 pm
Oldschool wrote: December 19th, 2021, 12:33 pm
heno wrote: December 19th, 2021, 11:52 am They have publicly written a letter to the ministers with what they want, and asked them to back them up with the IRFU. They have already gotten the first thing they want which is the reports to be made public, they have a meeting with the ministers in Jan and a commitment from the irfu to talk to them.

Megaphone diplomacy works if it gets meetings/progress that wouldnt have happened without it.
Women have proper facilities normally. That was a covid issue and should never have happened
They have been very clear in what they are looking for. The deal they are looking for is quite clear as well.
Fair enough.
So what deal are they looking for?
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

https://www.the42.ie/irfu-report-irelan ... 0-Mar2022/

Report to be issued either late this week or early next week.

Womens Six Nations kicks off in late March.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

hugonaut wrote: March 1st, 2022, 7:52 pm https://www.the42.ie/irfu-report-irelan ... 0-Mar2022/

Report to be issued either late this week or early next week.

Womens Six Nations kicks off in late March.
A Eddy is the sacrificial lamb.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Is the report out or are we starting to see strategic leaks?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

ronk wrote: March 3rd, 2022, 3:32 pm Is the report out or are we starting to see strategic leaks?
The report isn't out, but his resignation statement from the Union is!

https://www.irishrugby.ie/2022/03/03/ed ... cate-role/

Getting ahead of the news perhaps?
I have Bumbleflex
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Dave Cahill wrote: March 3rd, 2022, 3:42 pm
ronk wrote: March 3rd, 2022, 3:32 pm Is the report out or are we starting to see strategic leaks?
The report isn't out, but his resignation statement from the Union is!

https://www.irishrugby.ie/2022/03/03/ed ... cate-role/

Getting ahead of the news perhaps?
Definitely. And Nucifora offers his words of conciliation and congratulations to Eddy, thus ensuring he will have professional references for his next role.

Still rumoured that names may be redacted from Women's Report but all say publication today.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

I certainly hope Cliodhna Murphy's omission from Squad is based on rugby form not political expediency.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Ruckedtobits wrote: March 4th, 2022, 6:26 am I certainly hope Cliodhna Murphy's omission from Squad is based on rugby form not political expediency.
well it happened to Eddy so......
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Moloney
I have Bumbleflex
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Ruckedtobits wrote: March 4th, 2022, 6:26 am I certainly hope Cliodhna Murphy's omission from Squad is based on rugby form not political expediency.
Sometimes it's necessary to cut players for non rugby reasons. This looks like one of those cases.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

No, I imagine this is the IRFU's idea of a "clean break" - Anthony Eddy's head rolls, so Cliodhna Moloney's has to too, to "balance" things out. Otherwise it might look like she was correct in sticking her head above the parapet and that wouldn't do at all. Could apply to Sene Naopu too, so that the ladies get the message.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

riocard911 wrote: March 4th, 2022, 11:19 am No, I imagine this is the IRFU's idea of a "clean break" - Anthony Eddy's head rolls, so Cliodhna Moloney's has to too, to "balance" things out. Otherwise it might look like she was correct in sticking her head above the parapet and that wouldn't do at all. Could apply to Sene Naopu too, so that the ladies get the message.
Perhaps, although you sometimes get people in squads who are disruptive regardless of the environment and carrying them for their playing ability ceases to be worth the trade off. I've no idea if that is the case here and am not alleging that it is. It is a possibility. Greg McWilliams has always come across as a thoughtful coach so doubt it was a petty move.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

riocard911 wrote: March 4th, 2022, 11:19 am No, I imagine this is the IRFU's idea of a "clean break" - Anthony Eddy's head rolls, so Cliodhna Moloney's has to too, to "balance" things out. Otherwise it might look like she was correct in sticking her head above the parapet and that wouldn't do at all. Could apply to Sene Naopu too, so that the ladies get the message.
Moloney is one of our better players though, especially in the loose. She'll have to come back. Sene is 38, and slowing down, I think she's done.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!