Women's Rugby World Cup

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Women's Rugby World Cup

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

the spoofer wrote: December 13th, 2021, 1:30 pm More winning, less whinging.
What a stupid comment.

Do you not think that the likes of Lynne Cantwell and Fiona Coghlan might be worth listening to considering the playing and professional careers they had and the fact that they haven’t been a part of this team and won’t be playing for it again any time soon? Hardly making excuses.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Whats needed is a clear out of the dead wood from that team. Let's face it, all they might acheive for the next few years is being the best of the rest in the 6Ns. France, and England especially are on a dfferent planet. Might as well start building for the World Cup after the next one or even the one after that.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: December 13th, 2021, 1:40 pm
the spoofer wrote: December 13th, 2021, 1:30 pm More winning, less whinging.
What a stupid comment.

Do you not think that the likes of Lynne Cantwell and Fiona Coghlan might be worth listening to considering the playing and professional careers they had and the fact that they haven’t been a part of this team and won’t be playing for it again any time soon? Hardly making excuses.
+1
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

The IRFU have now hit back and the nature of it makes me think we're not far off the players going on strike.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: December 13th, 2021, 5:01 pm The IRFU have now hit back and the nature of it makes me think we're not far off the players going on strike.
They claim to "refute" the letter. Nope. You dispute, claim it is wrong etc. You don't get to decide that you have refuted it.
On the basis of arsehole language I've decided you haven't.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

fourthirtythree wrote: December 13th, 2021, 5:19 pm
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: December 13th, 2021, 5:01 pm The IRFU have now hit back and the nature of it makes me think we're not far off the players going on strike.
They claim to "refute" the letter. Nope. You dispute, claim it is wrong etc. You don't get to decide that you have refuted it.
You've got em there 433.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

I said before and I'll say it again. They won't stop complaining until they get the same as the men. Not amateur men but senior Ireland internationals. That's what it's all about and the media will happily play along with their faux outrage. The whole thing is pathetic.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

dropkick wrote: December 13th, 2021, 5:49 pm I said before and I'll say it again. They won't stop complaining until they get the same as the men. Not amateur men but senior Ireland internationals. That's what it's all about and the media will happily play along with their faux outrage. The whole thing is pathetic.
What like proper changing rooms and senior internationals not being dragged away to play 7s? That kind of equal treatment?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Thing is, whether they refute or dispute what's been said, their whole response ignores that the women think the processes are flawed in the first place.

And eh...feeling ignored was kind of the reason they took such drastic action! It's not like this is out of the blue either so you'd think the IRFU would have been ready to listen. In fact they should have reached out to solve the issues after the recent games, I'm guessing they didn't and that's why the current and former players felt they had to act.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: December 13th, 2021, 5:59 pm
dropkick wrote: December 13th, 2021, 5:49 pm I said before and I'll say it again. They won't stop complaining until they get the same as the men. Not amateur men but senior Ireland internationals. That's what it's all about and the media will happily play along with their faux outrage. The whole thing is pathetic.
What like proper changing rooms and senior internationals not being dragged away to play 7s? That kind of equal treatment?
So complete separation between the 7s and 15s?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: December 13th, 2021, 6:05 pm
Thing is, whether they refute or dispute what's been said, their whole response ignores that the women think the processes are flawed in the first place.

And eh...feeling ignored was kind of the reason they took such drastic action! It's not like this is out of the blue either so you'd think the IRFU would have been ready to listen. In fact they should have reached out to solve the issues after the recent games, I'm guessing they didn't and that's why the current and former players felt they had to act.
The letter said that the demands have been made through private channels already, just nothing was done.

Transparency in reviews plays well in public but it's hard to change the terms of reference as it effects the evidence already given. I've always tended to be skeptical of people who make a big play in public that there are issues but don't say what they are.

Clearly a lot of people feel very strongly to sign such a strongly worded letter and there's a strong desire for change. I'm not so sure if this is the way to get that change.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

The changing room incident didn't just happen to the women. It happened to boys underage sides too but we heard nothing about that.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

dropkick wrote: December 13th, 2021, 7:07 pm

The changing room incident didn't just happen to the women. It happened to boys underage sides too but we heard nothing about that.
the point is that it didn't happen to a men's provincial team, and they're not wrong.

I did not know it happened for boys underage sides also - that should not have happened either, it doesn't make what happened to the women's team any less worse (?)
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Professional players can isolate and take precautions that amateurs can't easily.

Hence why there were different rules that were only practical for defined elite sportspeople. If you did a shift on a Covid ward before training then maybe sharing a dressing room ain't a good idea.

There was a period of time where you could eat in a restaurant without a mask but couldnt use a changing room, even at lower occupancy. Can't say it felt right but then anomalies are to be expected with so much disruption.

I would expect that the open letter was about more than that.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

That's my understanding too. They got tired of the pat on the head / little women treatment and have decided to make their annoyance publicly known by going to the government. I support them 100%!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

I do believe that their dubious use of language is revealing: their mere word refutes dozens of women.

I think the government are getting out of this lightly though. They give and gave the IEFU money and that money should be growing the women's game- it isn't commercially viable which is always the IRFU's concern. Why did they give the IRFU money and not have the women designated as elite athletes? That's why they were changing in the car park, not IRFU attitudes or lack of facilities.

I'm also with them on the IRFU trebling down on their failed policy of having secret reviews which continually lead to the same result.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

None of the internationals changed in a carpark.

They were busy thrashing a hotel around that time.

As already stated it happened to male teams too. It should not have happened full stop but to only complain about the women's setup is patronising at best and sexist at worst.

And did anyone watch the provincial matches? The standard of rugby was very poor. It was in no way an Elite performance. I have seen minis at half time in the RDS tackle better, pass better and understand the game better. But hey maybe the minis have been playing for more than a year or two.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

riocard911 wrote: December 13th, 2021, 8:04 pm

That's my understanding too. They got tired of the pat on the head / little women treatment and have decided to make their annoyance publicly known by going to the government. I support them 100%!
I can't support them 100%. I don't 100% know what they are looking for.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

fourthirtythree wrote: December 13th, 2021, 8:34 pm I'm also with them on the IRFU trebling down on their failed policy of having secret reviews which continually lead to the same result.
Imagine for one second that the review was kept secret to protect the team. Imagine the reports all said we have spent more money than ever on the Women's International Team. We have given the team more support than ever and they still lose.

Would people - yourself included 433 - say this should have been kept in house and not published?
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

IanD wrote: December 13th, 2021, 9:06 pm
fourthirtythree wrote: December 13th, 2021, 8:34 pm I'm also with them on the IRFU trebling down on their failed policy of having secret reviews which continually lead to the same result.
Imagine for one second that the review was kept secret to protect the team. Imagine the reports all said we have spent more money than ever on the Women's International Team. We have given the team more support than ever and they still lose.

Would people - yourself included 433 - say this should have been kept in house and not published?
The trebling down referred to their policy of doing this about world cups.

It's an ongoing issue for the IRFU. I'm not knives out about it but they have failed to meet their targets in more than just the women's team and Dave seems to be happy with his progress. A little less defensiveness from the IRFU would go a long way.