Women's Rugby World Cup

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Women's Rugby World Cup

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

the spoofer wrote: December 15th, 2021, 5:09 pm I see there are calls to withhold funding from IRFU.

I suggest that a separate Irish Womens Rugby Football Union be established that is self financing and self regulatory. The IRFU should support the establishment through a contribution for 5 years. There should also be an agreement to co-use of all rugby grounds where possible. A % of all international tickets should be allocated to the IWRFU based on % of membership at a certain date.

There are numerous precedents for this split and it would pave the way for the removal of the blockages placed on the womens game by the IRFU.
You seem to think that the IRFU is a male organisation that needs to cut the women adrift, weird attitude.

IMO civil war should never be the first option. Before we go down that route I think it might be prudent to try and appoint Lynne Cantwell in place of Eddy.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: December 15th, 2021, 5:42 pm
the spoofer wrote: December 15th, 2021, 5:09 pm I see there are calls to withhold funding from IRFU.

I suggest that a separate Irish Womens Rugby Football Union be established that is self financing and self regulatory. The IRFU should support the establishment through a contribution for 5 years. There should also be an agreement to co-use of all rugby grounds where possible. A % of all international tickets should be allocated to the IWRFU based on % of membership at a certain date.

There are numerous precedents for this split and it would pave the way for the removal of the blockages placed on the womens game by the IRFU.
You seem to think that the IRFU is a male organisation that needs to cut the women adrift, weird attitude.

IMO civil war should never be the first option. Before we go down that route I think it might be prudent to try and appoint Lynne Cantwell in place of Eddy.
no sure you right here LRIP, the GAA has men's and ladies associations and both are thriving, girls participation in local clubs in South Dublin is pretty good and I often see girls and ladies kicking the ball around or pucking the sliothar about in the local parks, not sure if its because they have a ladies association, but I certainly don't see the same participation in association football or rugby.

It's at least worth talking about
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

There was a seperate womens union originally, it merged with the IRFU in 2008
I have Bumbleflex
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

How is the suggestion that Womens rugby unburden themselves of the IRFU, the IRFU cutting them adrift? The women clearly see the IRFU as the problem, they stated that. If I was a member of an organisation that I felt could not be reformed then I would seek to do something about it other than butting my head up against a wall. And yes, the IRFU is predominantly male, the players, coaches and administrators. About 90%+ i'd imagine.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Dave Cahill wrote: December 15th, 2021, 5:59 pm There was a seperate womens union originally, it merged with the IRFU in 2008
There you go, mergers don't always work. This one doesn't appear to have been successful either.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: December 15th, 2021, 5:47 pm

no sure you right here LRIP, the GAA has men's and ladies associations and both are thriving, girls participation in local clubs in South Dublin is pretty good and I often see girls and ladies kicking the ball around or pucking the sliothar about in the local parks, not sure if its because they have a ladies association, but I certainly don't see the same participation in association football or rugby.

What am I wrong about?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

the spoofer wrote: December 15th, 2021, 6:02 pm

How is the suggestion that Womens rugby unburden themselves of the IRFU, the IRFU cutting them adrift? The women clearly see the IRFU as the problem, they stated that. If I was a member of an organisation that I felt could not be reformed then I would seek to do something about it other than butting my head up against a wall. And yes, the IRFU is predominantly male, the players, coaches and administrators. About 90%+ i'd imagine.
But they’re trying to reform it.

I don’t care if it’s predominantly male, that’s not what I meant and you know it.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

the spoofer wrote: December 15th, 2021, 6:03 pm
Dave Cahill wrote: December 15th, 2021, 5:59 pm There was a seperate womens union originally, it merged with the IRFU in 2008
There you go, mergers don't always work. This one doesn't appear to have been successful either.
What was so good before the merger? Why did they want to merge in the first place? Worked pretty well at international level until Nucifora and Eddy arrived IIRC.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: December 15th, 2021, 6:14 pm

I don’t care if it’s predominantly male, that’s not what I meant and you know it.
Strange way to go about it. Get a can of petrol and set fire to the house rather than fix the hole in the roof.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: December 15th, 2021, 6:15 pm
the spoofer wrote: December 15th, 2021, 6:03 pm
What was so good before the merger? Why did they want to merge in the first place? Worked pretty well at international level until Nucifora and Eddy arrived IIRC.
Or else the effect of the merger took some years to be felt.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

the spoofer wrote: December 15th, 2021, 6:16 pm

Strange way to go about it. Get a can of petrol and set fire to the house rather than fix the hole in the roof.
Well they’ve just received government support and it’s been big news across the rugby world this week so it seems to be working.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: December 15th, 2021, 6:19 pm
the spoofer wrote: December 15th, 2021, 6:16 pm

Well they’ve just received government support and it’s been big news across the rugby world this week so it seems to be working.
Yeah, I'm sure that it will all be forgotten about by the lads on the IRFU committee.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: December 15th, 2021, 6:10 pm
Oldschoolsocks wrote: December 15th, 2021, 5:47 pm

What am I wrong about?
that it would be weird to suggest that Women's Rugby should have it's own union / association.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I didn’t say that though.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: December 15th, 2021, 7:17 pm I didn’t say that though.
OK, that's the meaning I took from it in which case I was technically wrong which is the worst kind of wrong. what bit did you find weird?

just to carry this on one more step - DO you think it would be weird for for the ladies to have their own union / association
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: December 15th, 2021, 7:25 pm
OK, that's the meaning I took from it in which case I was technically wrong which is the worst kind of wrong. what bit did you find weird?

just to carry this on one more step - DO you think it would be weird for for the ladies to have their own union / association
I find it weird that TS seems to think the women are a nuisance for the IRFU as opposed to being a part of it.

I don’t really have an opinion on the second question but I would try and address the concerns the women have raised and make changes at the top before contemplating it. They’re not asking to do it so I don’t see why it would be on the table. One thing I would say is that women’s sport in general is growing hugely right now in a commercial sense and the IRFU would be mad to miss out on that regardless of anything else. It’s 4 and a half years since the women’s football team held that press conference and even less than that since the FAI cleared the decks, but look at how the team is performing on the field, plus they’ve got a deal with Sky and I’m constantly seeing their ads for Cadbury’s too. The way things are going now the rugby team won’t get there too, but I bet they would if the right people were in charge.

Im not pretending to be an expert btw, but as I said I don’t like the dismissive “shut up and dribble” attitude from some, I do have great faith in some of the high profile women who signed the letter, I think a brave and drastic measure like that must mean something is rotten in the organisation, and I don’t like Eddy, Nucifora, or the way the IRFU responded on Monday. Therefore I back them 100% in sending that letter. Unfortunately that means nothing to them but hopefully the people that matter can change things.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: December 15th, 2021, 7:53 pm
Oldschoolsocks wrote: December 15th, 2021, 7:25 pm

I find it weird that TS seems to think the women are a nuisance for the IRFU as opposed to being a part of it.

I don’t really have an opinion on the second question but I would try and address the concerns the women have raised and make changes at the top before contemplating it. They’re not asking to do it so I don’t see why it would be on the table. One thing I would say is that women’s sport in general is growing hugely right now in a commercial sense and the IRFU would be mad to miss out on that regardless of anything else. It’s 4 and a half years since the women’s football team held that press conference and even less than that since the FAI cleared the decks, but look at how the team is performing on the field, plus they’ve got a deal with Sky and I’m constantly seeing their ads for Cadbury’s too. The way things are going now the rugby team won’t get there too, but I bet they would if the right people were in charge.

Im not pretending to be an expert btw, but as I said I don’t like the dismissive “shut up and dribble” attitude from some, I do have great faith in some of the high profile women who signed the letter, I think a brave and drastic measure like that must mean something is rotten in the organisation, and I don’t like Eddy, Nucifora, or the way the IRFU responded on Monday. Therefore I back them 100% in sending that letter. Unfortunately that means nothing to them but hopefully the people that matter can change things.
Well said, LRIP. Pretty much sums up my take on this whole imbroglio too! The sooner Nucifora goes, the better, IMO.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: December 15th, 2021, 11:11 am
Morf wrote: December 15th, 2021, 1:16 amI would hope those making the most noise about gender disparity have some thought for those putting their money where their mouth is in terms of time and commitment to girls' and women's' grassroots rugby. I had some period of involvement but the constant narrative about their mistreatment, under funding and mismanagement is quite disheartening for those (majority men in my anecdotal experience) who are trying to progress things.
But isn’t the point that the current and ex players feel like the efforts of everyone involved are being wasted somewhat by the people at the top?

I have to say this really reminds me of the FAI. Now I’m not saying theres anything dodgy like that but everyone knew it was being run terribly and if players had called it out like the rugby team have done then I don’t think anyone would have been surprised and said it was about time something was done. I know the women’s football team did speak up but I think that was more about basic stuff like being given proper kit rather than the overall running of the women’s game, but I may be wrong on that.
It was noted by Murray Kinsella that this was acknowledged within the letter.
I'm not laying issue with those active and previously active players.
More the grandstanders in the media. "Women's and girls' rugby has never been worse" kind of rhetoric.
Simon Hick for Second Captains really enjoys painting the shite side of rugby for someone who claims to enjoy it for example.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

There are those that back the women 100% without apparently having any clue as to what they want (other than to be listened to) I don’t back the IRFU 100%. I’ll wait to see what the key findings of the reviews are. I do know that I have huge confidence in Su Carty and her impartiality.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

the spoofer wrote: December 16th, 2021, 8:33 am There are those that back the women 100% without apparently having any clue as to what they want (other than to be listened to) I don’t back the IRFU 100%. I’ll wait to see what the key findings of the reviews are. I do know that I have huge confidence in Su Carty and her impartiality.
The key findings that the IRFU publish which may or may not be the key findings of the private report and that the signatories have strongly said they don't trust.

I don't expect this to be a clean 1 side is right and the other is at fault for everything.