Ireland Autumn Internationals 2021

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Jcahill1
Bookworm

Re: Ireland Autumn Internationals 2021

Post by Jcahill1 »

I thought Harry was pretty good. He took the ball to the line at times but I thought that was actually helpful given how often Argentina shut us down out the back.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Hippo wrote: November 21st, 2021, 3:49 pm
fourthirtythree wrote: November 21st, 2021, 3:36 pm Casey an improvement. Henshaw been a bit average.
Casey a major upgrade on Murray
An amazing change in tempo, and a crystal clear revelation of the shortcomings in Murray's game. He's too slow ruck-to-ruck, he spends too much time on the ball at the base and he tends to rely on a kicking game because he has contributed to slow ball. And his kicking game isn't as good as it was either.

CM still might have a future as a bench player, but as a starter there's no point. The guy was a genuine great for a lot of his career, but since the end of his 2018 he has been a diminished player. He can't play a quick game anymore.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Pretty much what I was hoping for in terms of solid set piece and aggressive defence. Attack was patchy and far simpler than the last two weeks but was much improved when we changed the halfbacks. Murray just doesn’t suit how we’re trying to play, slowed everything down and was far too eager to go to the boot.

I thought Joey was bang average at ten but his defence was much improved and he was outstanding when he went to fullback. That’s a huge positive I think, he really seemed to get his mojo back as the game went on. If he keeps that defence up for Munster then he’s a much better option.

Disappointed with our kicking game in general. I don’t think we were just trusting our defence, a lot of it was just aimless.

Some of the young lads like Baird, Sheehan, and Casey really stepped up. Happy enough with Harry too considering how badly he needs games. Huge steps forwards this autumn, didn’t see that coming.
RichardP
Graduate

Post by RichardP »

53-7 win over Argentina and this place is fixated on which Munster player was shite?
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

dropkick wrote: November 16th, 2021, 8:51 pm Indeed. And not just injuries but the players would be more battered and bruised with a Schmidt type game and it would be more mentally draining.
Ageing like milk this take.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

RichardP wrote: November 21st, 2021, 4:32 pm 53-7 win over Argentina and this place is fixated on which Munster player was shite?
fourthirtythree wrote: November 21st, 2021, 3:36 pm Casey an improvement. Henshaw been a bit average.
fourthirtythree wrote: November 21st, 2021, 3:39 pm Fair point POM.
Hippo wrote: November 21st, 2021, 3:49 pm
Casey a major upgrade on Murray
Keith wrote: November 21st, 2021, 3:57 pm Joey is playing pretty well at 15. Who'd have thought? :)
RoboProp wrote: November 21st, 2021, 4:07 pm I'm shocked at Treemenjus giving it Joey, shocked! :lol:
Ruckedtobits wrote: November 21st, 2021, 4:21 pm Thanks Conor, you've made a great contribution for a decade, but the future is high tempo and that you no longer have.
hugonaut wrote: November 21st, 2021, 4:24 pm
An amazing change in tempo, and a crystal clear revelation of the shortcomings in Murray's game. He's too slow ruck-to-ruck, he spends too much time on the ball at the base and he tends to rely on a kicking game because he has contributed to slow ball. And his kicking game isn't as good as it was either.

CM still might have a future as a bench player, but as a starter there's no point. The guy was a genuine great for a lot of his career, but since the end of his 2018 he has been a diminished player. He can't play a quick game anymore.

I think you must have posted this on the wrong forum, because the only posts critical of a munster player are because another munster player played better. Perhaps you should check your hosts file to make sure you aren't accidentally being redirected.
I have Bumbleflex
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: November 21st, 2021, 4:28 pm
I thought Joey was bang average at ten but his defence was much improved and he was outstanding when he went to fullback. That’s a huge positive I think, he really seemed to get his mojo back as the game went on. If he keeps that defence up for Munster then he’s a much better option.
I thought the same about Carbery’s defence. Like he will always be a bang average defender because of his size against much bigger men like ROG was but he manned up and went hard at it today like ROG always did. For Munster it looks like there is no belief in him in defence, they try and hide him or it is accepted that he goes missing. I don’t think as a player you can be managed like that in top teams, you can’t hide someone, you look at what they used to do with Humphrey’s (both of them) in Ulster or Cooper with Australia under Deans and it was like they defended with a man less to cover for these guys, like that must be soul destroying in a contact game like rugby for the individual. Joey emptied a guy in the game at one stage and you could see how happy he was, like Lowe against the All Blacks talking about the tackle in the 71st minute being his moment of the match I’d say that was probably Joey’s one.

Anyway, it’s still obviously his major weakness and definitely an ongoing work on but I loved the want by him to make the impacts.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

That has been a superb three match series and I hope that the entire Squad have the opportunity to relish and review this game and the earlier November triumphs.

From the outset of Joe's tenure I was confident that we would have success, having seen his impact on Leinster. Last September I began to get the vibe that the Irish players enjoyed working with Faz, and each other, and they were becoming more confident of the future. The last three weekends have given us pictures of a very relaxed Squad who, post-matches, look like they have a real buzz going.

That sort of united and enjoyable atmosphere is very rare and incredibly valuable to a talented Squad in any sport. Internal competition and the quality of the teams we have to face till the end of July should be sufficient to ensure that this is an accelerating process, a progressive journey. I look forward to watching the results.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Didn't think much of Byrne, tried to force things a bit much. Carbery needn't worry too much for the moment but his move to 15 could be the shape of things to come. Casey was a huge improvement
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

paddyor wrote:Didn't think much of Byrne, tried to force things a bit much. Carbery needn't worry too much for the moment but his move to 15 could be the shape of things to come. Casey was a huge improvement
Carberry did fine at 15 but he's still light years behind Keenan.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

paddyor wrote: November 21st, 2021, 4:41 pm
dropkick wrote: November 16th, 2021, 8:51 pm Indeed. And not just injuries but the players would be more battered and bruised with a Schmidt type game and it would be more mentally draining.
Ageing like milk this take.
Please explain..
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Tadhg Furlong my man of the match. Made 35 metres. Only Kelleher in the forwards made more (though Doris and VdF were close) and some outrageous hits too.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Sorry Ryan Baird's numbers are silly! 56m off four carries.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

I think we played well, but Argentina were awful. It's important not to get too carried away with the performance, or we'll get a serious shock once we get to the 6N. In truth, none of the southern hemisphere sides were great this year. Whether that was fatigue or jadedness or something else, I don't know. But we still have a lot of improvement and upside.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

That's true but Argentina looked okay against France and Japan did against Scotland too so they might not be all bad.

Thought England were jammy against SA and Wales were against Australia yesterday.

France look great though.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Our biggest victory over Argentina and the general feeling is meh... 50+ point win? Come on!
Pace was a lot slower than the last few weeks. Conor kicked 6 times in the 1st half compared to Jamisons 5 in his time against New Zealand, although blunt stats like that can be misleading.
Healy moves onto 9 tries now, same as Zebo.
Sheehan, ye cant take your eyes off this guy. What a great pair of hookers we have.
A game of moments rather than the relentless one of last week but there was bound to be some sort of deflation.

Lastly.. Faz and Gang. Well done boys, a great series of games.
142 points scored, 32 points conceded. 19 tries scored, 4 tries conceded.
But most of all, it was feckin great to watch.
:happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

"It has been an incredibly enjoyable month," reflected O'Mahony.

"It has just been great fun. The cohesion that we've built has brought us to that next level of friendship which I think is so important.

"I was just sitting there with Hugo [Keenan] now and was saying I've loved the month, it was probably the most enjoyable one of my career so far."

Well there you go.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

fourthirtythree wrote: November 21st, 2021, 6:30 pm Sorry Ryan Baird's numbers are silly! 56m off four carries.
That was all pretty much that one big carry no?
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

CiaranIrl wrote: November 21st, 2021, 7:16 pm I think we played well, but Argentina were awful. It's important not to get too carried away with the performance, or we'll get a serious shock once we get to the 6N. In truth, none of the southern hemisphere sides were great this year. Whether that was fatigue or jadedness or something else, I don't know. But we still have a lot of improvement and upside.
They were dreadful. I've never seen a worse [or more knackered] Argentine team turn up to play Ireland, and we almost always play them last on the November roster. I'd give their intensity level as a 2/3 out of 10. It was like playing Italy.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Am I the only one bricking it about Ryans head knock?