Emerging Ireland to tour SA

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Re: Emerging Ireland to tour SA

Post by limecat »

the spoofer wrote: October 5th, 2022, 5:19 pm This ref is truly awful.
I didn't think it was possible, but I think he's actually getting worse as the match goes on.
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I think that’s a big step forward for Salanoa. He could do with being a bit more involved at times but to me he looks ready to be an impact sub for Munster and if he could just keep fit and get games for a sustained period of time I’d say he’d really kick on hugely.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

limecat wrote: October 5th, 2022, 5:22 pm
the spoofer wrote: October 5th, 2022, 5:19 pm This ref is truly awful.
I didn't think it was possible, but I think he's actually getting worse as the match goes on.
I’d imagine it’s partly because he’s under orders to be soft on Pumas so that it’s a contest.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Great try, lovely offloading
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Culhane reads the play so well, could have just got in behind Mullins to secure the ball but ran a great support line for the offload instead.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: October 5th, 2022, 5:30 pm Culhane reads the play so well, could have just got in behind Mullins to secure the ball but ran a great support line for the offload instead.
Excellent carrying. Might need to work on D. Missed a couple of tackles.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Illo just got mushed in that scrum.

Some great performances. Forde really impressed as a 12.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

We look exhausted now. Gone very ragged.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Smith’s big tackle made me think his defence might have improved but it’s been poor ever since then.

Frisch has had a couple of decent carries and touches but he doesn’t get himself involved too often, not sure how much impact he’ll have in the Munster back line.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Frisch looks classy tho. Very composed under pressure
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Ben Murphy has earned his World Cup spot anyway! Some effort from Josh Wycherley to get back and make a tackle just before that as well.

Salanoa’s performance is a big plus to take from that I think. By contrast it doesn’t look like Illo will be ready for Connacht any time soon and that’ll be a big problem for them. Penny had a good game, albeit with one forward pass that was missed and a bad read for that lineout at the end, but nothing that will particularly change things for him.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Not taking the 3 points on offer just before ht wasn't a good decision and could have been costly but tbf EI were both competitive and skilful.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Just got to watch it now. What a pain was the first half - refereeing, TMO, water-breaks, scrum collapses. Are they trying to drive fans away? Probably the worst officiating I've seen at professional level for a couple of years.

The second half was a decent contest. As we passionately debate the pros and cons of whether this Tour should have taken place, it's easy to forget just how strong and passionate is the rugby culture in S Africa. This is their national sport, particularly on the high veldt. They don't give victory easily to anybody and they fight hard to the last second.

Lots of good shapes and decent performances from the EI team. But too many mistakes in handling and decision making for anybody to be really happy. Salanoa, the second-rows and every back-row stepped up to the mark. I'm continually impressed by Deeny, Ahern and Izachukwu. Less impressed by starting half-backs and Forde impressed me more that the Frenchman. None of the back three were faultless but they all contributed going forward.

This really is an irreplaceable experience for these young guys. Apart for their victories and working with international coaches, they are learning just how important is team work in a national environment. In the first half, egos surfaced on a couple of occasions to the detriment of the team. The second-half was much more coherent, and needed to be as the Pumas became more confident they could grab a win.

EI team did well to win but Sunday will be even harder.
pangurban1
Bookworm

Post by pangurban1 »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: October 5th, 2022, 6:00 pm Ben Murphy has earned his World Cup spot anyway! Some effort from Josh Wycherley to get back and make a tackle just before that as well.

Salanoa’s performance is a big plus to take from that I think. By contrast it doesn’t look like Illo will be ready for Connacht any time soon and that’ll be a big problem for them. Penny had a good game, albeit with one forward pass that was missed and a bad read for that lineout at the end, but nothing that will particularly change things for him.
Lot of respect for Illo after a terrible start, well done
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

jezzer wrote: October 5th, 2022, 5:44 pm Frisch looks classy tho. Very composed under pressure
I thought he ran latterly too many times and even backwards on a couple of occassions.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

TrapperChamonix wrote: October 6th, 2022, 10:07 am
jezzer wrote: October 5th, 2022, 5:44 pm Frisch looks classy tho. Very composed under pressure
I thought he ran latterly too many times and even backwards on a couple of occassions.
He has a really nice running style. Very languid.

But I agree I didn't think he had a huge impact on the game.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

wixfjord wrote: October 6th, 2022, 10:23 am
TrapperChamonix wrote: October 6th, 2022, 10:07 am
He has a really nice running style. Very languid.

But I agree I didn't think he had a huge impact on the game.
I thought he was quite poor considering he was one of the more experienced lads out there. It would be interesting to see how that back line would work with the better pairing of Doak and Crowley at 9 and 10.
allezlesverres
Bookworm

Post by allezlesverres »

Dave Cahill wrote: October 4th, 2022, 8:41 pm

The tour will be seen as a good idea if we win a quarter final, if we don't it won't be.
That's complete nonsense Dave. This tour isn't by any stretch of the imagination going to have any impact on Ireland's performance in 2023. Exactly which players do we expect from this tour to be in a world cup 33 man squad and of those players, who is only going to make it/contribute properly by virtue of this tour?

Baloucoune? We already knew he was good and he will be in camp with the Ireland team for Autumn and 6N. He will have plenty of exposure to a proper international camp. This tour isn't contributing to his development. Who else is realistically going to be in the 33?

If Frawley had gone you could maybe have made an argument that he would have got value from the experience at 10 that he so badly needs but since he got crocked there isn't even that argument.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

allezlesverres wrote: October 6th, 2022, 11:27 am
Dave Cahill wrote: October 4th, 2022, 8:41 pm

The tour will be seen as a good idea if we win a quarter final, if we don't it won't be.
That's complete nonsense Dave. This tour isn't by any stretch of the imagination going to have any impact on Ireland's performance in 2023. Exactly which players do we expect from this tour to be in a world cup 33 man squad and of those players, who is only going to make it/contribute properly by virtue of this tour?

Baloucoune? We already knew he was good and he will be in camp with the Ireland team for Autumn and 6N. He will have plenty of exposure to a proper international camp. This tour isn't contributing to his development. Who else is realistically going to be in the 33?

If Frawley had gone you could maybe have made an argument that he would have got value from the experience at 10 that he so badly needs but since he got crocked there isn't even that argument.
I’ve said this already but I believe it even more after seeing Salanoa yesterday (I keep mentioning him but I don’t mean to go overboard, I’d say it was a 7/10 kind of performance) that by accident or design the tour could give confidence to some of the Munster lads who have also avoided being a part of a tough couple of weeks with them and could take the confidence from South Africa and be thrown into the side to kickstart them into action.

I don’t think it’s beyond the bounds of possibility that Salanoa, Ahern, and Crowley get more game time on the back of this tour and are options for us in the 6N or 12 month’s time. Carbery at 15 tomorrow could even be a nod to how well Crowley played last week as much as a reflection of Joey’s own poor cameos.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Above and beyond all considerations re the relevance of this tour to Ireland's prospects at RWC23, I think it further enhances IRFU-SARU collaboration. One can hear in the URC commentary in general and for this tour in particular how much the Saffers respect the provinces and the Irish rugby setup. At a time when the Incredible Power of Prem (Whoar!!!) is wracked with financial tribulations and looking around for someone to bail them out - quite possibly at our expense - I think anything we can do to keep our Southern Hemisphere pals happy and underline our value to them is good thinking.