6 Nations 2023 - Ireland

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

jezzer
Rob Kearney

Re: 6 Nations 2023 - Ireland

Post by jezzer »

I think he's making that very reference, which to me is fair enough. They got the choker label and we've probably inherited it now as a world no1 team who hasn't done Jack at the World cup. They got over the hump and now it's our turn.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

jezzer wrote: March 20th, 2023, 7:24 pm I think he's making that very reference, which to me is fair enough. They got the choker label and we've probably inherited it now as a world no1 team who hasn't done Jack at the World cup. They got over the hump and now it's our turn.
Well, we better win the thing then! Only difference is, we DID win the Grand Slam. We may not have sparkled as in previous matches, but we won with a bonus point. So, Hansen can hang on to that choker tag as a well-earned title himself.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

artaneboy wrote: March 20th, 2023, 9:38 pm
jezzer wrote: March 20th, 2023, 7:24 pm I think he's making that very reference, which to me is fair enough. They got the choker label and we've probably inherited it now as a world no1 team who hasn't done Jack at the World cup. They got over the hump and now it's our turn.
Well, we better win the thing then! Only difference is, we DID win the Grand Slam. We may not have sparkled as in previous matches, but we won with a bonus point. So, Hansen can hang on to that choker tag as a well-earned title himself.
We will have to accept those sort of comments until we join the Big Boys Club.
To join the Big Boys Club you have to make it to a World Cup Final.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Nah. He's just a d!%khead.
Dont Panic!
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

It's a nothing statement. Disappointed in the media for trying to make a thing of it. He said, "'If it was the All Blacks, they’d probably be called chokers", meaning that people will target the number one team in the world with ratcheting up the pressure and it is on you to deal with that.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

CiaranIrl wrote: March 20th, 2023, 10:30 pm It's a nothing statement. Disappointed in the media for trying to make a thing of it. He said, "'If it was the All Blacks, they’d probably be called chokers", meaning that people will target the number one team in the world with ratcheting up the pressure and it is on you to deal with that.
I agree. The naked reality is we've never won a knock out match at any RWC. Let's do that before we get caught up in all this "world cup contenders" baloney. Hansen was merely stating the obvious. Ho-hum....
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

There was nothing scandalous in what Hansen said. He was very complimentary in fact. Not only have we not won a RWC knock out game but, more often than not, we are humiliated.

France in 95.
Argentina in 99.
France in 2003.
Failure to get that far in 2007.
Argentina in 2015.
NZ in 2019.

Some of those losses were a trashing.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

I hope the days of "wrapping up (insert player) in cotton wool" are over. We should be able to withstand the loss of any player in the likely starting XV no matter who they are. Also, we need our players to be match sharp v SA. Fit and battle ready. They don't get that after weeks off. The media narrative is XYZ can just drop in seamlessly after time off. If Furlong, for example, is not sharp for a QF, then he shouldn't play.

Well done to the entire playing and coaching staff
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

suisse wrote: March 21st, 2023, 3:20 am There was nothing scandalous in what Hansen said. He was very complimentary in fact. Not only have we not won a RWC knock out game but, more often than not, we are humiliated.

France in 95.
Argentina in 99.
France in 2003.
Argentina in 2015.
NZ in 2019.

Yeah, I don't mind the losses so much as giving up a double digit lead early on and never really feeling like we had a chance to get back into the game.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

6 Nations 2023 - Ireland

Post by artaneboy »

suisse wrote: March 21st, 2023, 3:20 am There was nothing scandalous in what Hansen said. He was very complimentary in fact. Not only have we not won a RWC knock out game but, more often than not, we are humiliated.

France in 95.
Argentina in 99.
France in 2003.
Argentina in 2015.
NZ in 2019.

I don't think anyone here said it was "scandalous", but you would want to be naive to think he wasn't throwing shade on Ireland. He certainly was- and has form in that act.

In any case, I don't think chokers is a good choice of words (no matter how caveated) for a high profile former coach to use in describing another country's team. And i don't think Ireland's RWC experience is comparable in any equivalent sense to what New Zealan'd experience was, and why they may have been indelicately (by their own "fans" most notably) lablled as chokers. They were Number 1 in the world for the best part of decades, and contrived to lose out in the RWC repeatedly. Ireland were No 1 for a matter of months in 2018-'19 and no one really saw us as the 'best in the world'. So sure we underperformed in a couple of RWCs, but we didn't flop to too many ranked way below us. France, Argentina (of that period) and New Zealand were not minnows.
Last edited by artaneboy on March 21st, 2023, 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

artaneboy wrote: March 21st, 2023, 12:56 pm

France in 95.
Argentina in 99.
France in 2003.
Argentina in 2015.
NZ in 2019.

I don't think anyone here said it was "scandalous", but you would want to be naive to think he wasn't throwing shade on Ireland. He certainly was- and has form in that act.

In any case, I don't think chockers is a good choice of words (no matter how caveated) for a high profile former coach to use in describing another country's team. And i don't think Ireland's RWC experience is comparable in any equivalent sense to what New Zealan'd experience was, and why they may have been indelicately (by their own "fans" most notably) lablled as chockers. They were Number 1 in the world for the best part of decades, and contrived to lose out in the RWC repeatedly. Ireland were No 1 for a matter of months in 2018-'19 and no one really saw us as the 'best in the world'. So sure we underperformed in a couple of RWCs, but we didn't flop to too many ranked way below us. France, Argentina (of that period) and New Zealand were not minnows.
Not even months! Ireland were no.1 for a whopping two weeks in September 2019, going into the world cup. It's quite different this time round.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Laighin Break wrote: March 21st, 2023, 1:13 pm
artaneboy wrote: March 21st, 2023, 12:56 pm

France in 95.
Argentina in 99.
France in 2003.
Argentina in 2015.
NZ in 2019.

In any case, I don't think chockers is a good choice of words (no matter how caveated) for a high profile former coach to use in describing another country's team. And i don't think Ireland's RWC experience is comparable in any equivalent sense to what New Zealan'd experience was, and why they may have been indelicately (by their own "fans" most notably) lablled as chockers. They were Number 1 in the world for the best part of decades, and contrived to lose out in the RWC repeatedly. Ireland were No 1 for a matter of months in 2018-'19 and no one really saw us as the 'best in the world'. So sure we underperformed in a couple of RWCs, but we didn't flop to too many ranked way below us. France, Argentina (of that period) and New Zealand were not minnows.
Not even months! Ireland were no.1 for a whopping two weeks in September 2019, going into the world cup. It's quite different this time round.
We became #1 on 7th September having beaten Wales. Our next game was v Scotland on 21 Sept, which we won, but because New Zealand beat South Africa they moved back into the #1 spot. So we haven't actually 'choked' while we were #1.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Ireland are the only Tier 1 nation never to have won a knock out match at the RWC since its inauguration in 1987. Until such time as we cross that hurdle, Hansen, Uncle Tom Cobbley and all have every justification to call us chokers, IMO. And if we don't like it, we gotta do something about it.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

riocard911 wrote: March 21st, 2023, 1:54 pm Ireland are the only Tier 1 nation never to have won a knock out match at the RWC since its inauguration in 1987. Until such time as we cross that hurdle, Hansen, Uncle Tom Cobbley and all have every justification to call us chokers, IMO. And if we don't like it, we gotta do something about it.
Well, they don't have that "every justification", for the reasons discussed; but we will do "something about it"...
Experimental
Knowledgeable

Post by Experimental »

Im getting from Hansens piece that what hes really saying is, lets see if they can do any better than me. Theres no doubt that it is derogatory comment, which tbh I don't think is fitting of the man. We've clearly got him upset!
JohnB
Graduate

Post by JohnB »

Getting back to the game, I was disappointed that the team conceded the mauled try by England from such a distance out. However, I wonder if England should have been penalised as soon as the line out catcher returned to the ground as Isiekwe appeared to obstruct the catcher by stepping in behind him.

Who would ever have imagined that we would win a Grand Slam championship while playing to less than our ability in the final match. The great thing is that we have so much room to improve and so many work ons. Hopefully the 23’s reflection on how they allowed nerves to affect performance and execution will facilitate better application in a similarly high profile encounter later in the year.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I was trying to get into the pub after the match but I couldn't because it was chockers in there.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

johng wrote: March 21st, 2023, 9:04 pm I was trying to get into the pub after the match but I couldn't because it was chockers in there.
I see what you did there! 😝
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Baird is an absolute freak of an athlete.

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/sta ... 3719673861
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

MK
Confirmed: Freddie Steward's red card rescinded.

Disciplinary panel decided it was foul play but red down to yellow card for "mitigating factors including the late change in the dynamics and positioning of the opposing player."
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!