6 Nations 2023 - Ireland

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: 6 Nations 2023 - Ireland

Post by blockhead »

Very good performance indeed, the defense got a good workout too in the 2nd half. Murray played very well (quick). Ryan, Doris, Sheehan were excellent. Porter gave away 6 pens, Yikes!
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Error
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by Hippo

Murray was very good tbf, I needn't have worried. Casey looked pretty ordinary by contrast
Wonder how much Murray suffered from JVG coaching? Seems to be fitter and sharper recently.

{Edit} Playing the style we did under Schmidt probably didn't help either with the emphasis on kicking all the time.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

sunshiner1 wrote: February 5th, 2023, 7:32 am
by Hippo

Murray was very good tbf, I needn't have worried. Casey looked pretty ordinary by contrast
Wonder how much Murray suffered from JVG coaching? Seems to be fitter and sharper recently.

{Edit} Playing the style we did under Schmidt probably didn't help either with the emphasis on kicking all the time.
Both very fair points. He certainly hasn't moved as quickly in ages!
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

One of the future benefits of that performance was there wasn't much to see. Analysts like Galtie & Edwards, two of the best in the world, can pore over that display all they like and all they'll discover is that our forwards are very good at the basics.

We cannot over-estimate the impact that PO'C has had on our forwards attention to detail. Whether Line-out, Maul or Breakdown, everyone of the pack - notably Bealham - were on message and in unison.

Tactically, despite some misfires and sloppy defensive penalties, Sexton never changed the initial strategy in the tiresome 3rd quarter. No shortside forays with fast passing and interchanging positions. No Sheehan taking pop-passes with unusual angles. No Matt Hanson turning up, unmarked, off a strange angle in mid-field. I now fully expect to see the full arsenal next week as Farrell attempts to light a fire under the Aviva crowd.

Commentators & travel agents in France say that between 12-15,000 French fans will travel next weekend and they'll be noisy. Let's see what will greet them.
Last edited by Ruckedtobits on February 6th, 2023, 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

A little concerned at Sexton's performance.
That crossfield kick when we had the game in the bag was a very poor decision. His long clearance kick into no man's land wasn't great either (tbf Murray, who box kicked ery well should have taken responsibility), Ross by comparison did the same thing but his kick was behind the Wales last line of defence so much better execution.
Ross' 12 minute cameo was great to see. He really got involved and gave us some much needed impetus for the TBP.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
OneLungDavy
Bookworm

Post by OneLungDavy »

Once again James Ryan had a massive game. Our line-out was flawless from memory, he picked off two(?) opposition line-outs, scored a try and nearly had another.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

I was hugely disappointed with the penalty that Porter gave away for the “late hit” on Liam Williams after he scored. On review, and after the adrenaline was gone from the system, that penalty was 100% milked. Porter was marginally late AND was obviously attempting to hold Williams up.

If you factor in Williams’ (henceforth to be referred to as the Scrotebag) love of sliding in with the knee on opposing try scorers then there was nothing in that challenge.

The Scrotebag also milked a penalty from Henderson’s clumsy block attempt. So while I thought his yellow card for the hit on Jonny Sexton was soft in retrospect he can just go **** himself…
TMC
Knowledgeable

Post by TMC »

Yes, I was looking for the sniper in the stands. Thought he made a complete performance out of it, there didn’t seem to be that much contact. You’d hate to see this type of wendyball inspired simulation coming into the game.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by Oldschoolsocks

I was hugely disappointed with the penalty that Porter gave away for the “late hit” on Liam Williams after he scored. On review, and after the adrenaline was gone from the system, that penalty was 100% milked. Porter was marginally late AND was obviously attempting to hold Williams up.

If you factor in Williams’ (henceforth to be referred to as the Scrotebag) love of sliding in with the knee on opposing try scorers then there was nothing in that challenge.

The Scrotebag also milked a penalty from Henderson’s clumsy block attempt. So while I thought his yellow card for the hit on Jonny Sexton was soft in retrospect he can just go **** himself…
Plus 1. Wasn't impressed with Dickinson's lecture to Hansen after either. Was well happy when he got carded.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

sunshiner1 wrote: February 5th, 2023, 12:27 pm
by Oldschoolsocks

Plus 1. Wasn't impressed with Dickinson's lecture to Hansen after either. Was well happy when he got carded.
+1. Porter was 100% committed to trying to prevent the grounding, by getting an arm under. It wasn't a cheap shot with the knee, IMO. Biggar was next in and made a big deal of everything, kicking the whole escalation off, and Hansen went in to support Porter - and fair play to him too! The ref could have just have easily said to Biggar "I don't want you charging in, after I've blown my whistle", but didn't.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Very interesting to see what team we go with next week.

I think Faz might stick with the tried and tested but if it were me, I’d start Hendo in the row and put Beirne at 6, then stick POM and Baird on the bench to come in.

Would also start Aki and bench Larmour.

I think if we’re to beat France we’ll need all the power we can muster in the first 60 and then hit them with a few punches in the last 20. Last years game in Paris followed a similar path.

One worry I’d have is that our backplay was lacking something yesterday. A lot of moves seemed to take place well behind the gain line and ended up with us getting smashed by Wales rush defence. Can’t afford that to happe against France for a variety of reasons.

Also thought it was interesting we saw no 5m two variations yesterday and little in the way of lineout moves. Clearly saving a lot for France in that regard.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Porter really needs to fix up the penalty count. Can’t be giving away 6 pens yourself and some of them were idiotic.

If you had him and Joe McCarthy in a pack playing the way they’ve been playing that could cost a team a game somewhere down the line.

I’m sure he’s getting an earful.

Scrummaging wise he looked comfortable enough yesterday against Francis.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Also is Hugo Keenan the fittest player we’ve ever had in green or blue? The man is an absolute freak. Never looks out of breath and has a mix of 400m hurdling style cruising speed and proper 100m sprinting pace as well. His balance is also incredible.

Some player.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

wixfjord wrote: February 5th, 2023, 1:57 pm Very interesting to see what team we go with next week.

I think Faz might stick with the tried and tested but if it were me, I’d start Hendo in the row and put Beirne at 6, then stick POM and Baird on the bench to come in.

I think if we’re to beat France we’ll need all the power we can muster in the first 60 and then hit them with a few punches in the last 20. Last years game in Paris followed a similar path.

One worry I’d have is that our backplay was lacking something yesterday. A lot of moves seemed to take place well behind the gain line and ended up with us getting smashed by Wales rush defence. Can’t afford that to happe against France for a variety of reasons.

Also thought it was interesting we saw no 5m two variations yesterday and little in the way of lineout moves. Clearly saving a lot for France in that regard.
I'm on the fence about starting Aki, but I wholeheartedly agree with everything else above. I could go either way with McCloskey or Aki.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

wixfjord wrote:Very interesting to see what team we go with next week.

Agree on moving Beirne to 6, or if injured (he looked ropey) starting Baird there. Henderson to tight head lock behind hopefully Furlong, but possibly Bealham, always makes sense when facing big packs.

Hansen seemed a little off, and I think seeing the damage that Capuozzo did to the French defence, I’d select Larmour.

But, I also agree that Farrell is likely to stick with yesterday’s team, with the wished for exception of Furlong and JGP returning.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

wixfjord wrote: February 5th, 2023, 2:02 pm Also is Hugo Keenan the fittest player we’ve ever had in green or blue? The man is an absolute freak. Never looks out of breath and has a mix of 400m hurdling style cruising speed and proper 100m sprinting pace as well. His balance is also incredible.

Some player.
Think Hugo and JVDF are the fittest I've ever seen. Fergus Slattery was renowned for being incredibly fit, but before my time.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

wixfjord wrote: February 5th, 2023, 1:57 pm Very interesting to see what team we go with next week.

Murray, despite a perceived improvement, is no where near as quick at moving the ball away from the breakdown or scrums as JGP. As a result it contributed to our backs playing deeper. Casey, despite getting caught badly at one scrum, did inject a bit more pace on the ball.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
allezlesverres
Bookworm

Post by allezlesverres »

wixfjord wrote: February 5th, 2023, 1:57 pm

I think if we’re to beat France we’ll need all the power we can muster in the first 60 and then hit them with a few punches in the last 20.
I don't think replacing 17st mccloskey with 16st aki brings any increase in power. Aki is certainly more aggressive in the tackle but I don't see that as a huge advantage anymore. I'd far rather have mccloskey being unglamorous and steady in defence but with zero risk of getting a card. You can't bench larmour because then you've no centre cover in the subs.

I'd select pretty much the same team. Perhaps Henderson for POM and beirne to 6. You could still have POM on the bench because with 3 locks in the starting side you don't need a lock on the bench. You could bench 2 of conan, Coombes, and POM. If furlong recovers I'd be tempted to bench him and ask him for a big impact for the last 30 mins.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

allezlesverres wrote: February 6th, 2023, 11:00 am
wixfjord wrote: February 5th, 2023, 1:57 pm

I think if we’re to beat France we’ll need all the power we can muster in the first 60 and then hit them with a few punches in the last 20.
I don't think replacing 17st mccloskey with 16st aki brings any increase in power. Aki is certainly more aggressive in the tackle but I don't see that as a huge advantage anymore. I'd far rather have mccloskey being unglamorous and steady in defence but with zero risk of getting a card. You can't bench larmour because then you've no centre cover in the subs.

I'd select pretty much the same team. Perhaps Henderson for POM and beirne to 6. You could still have POM on the bench because with 3 locks in the starting side you don't need a lock on the bench. You could bench 2 of conan, Coombes, and POM. If furlong recovers I'd be tempted to bench him and ask him for a big impact for the last 30 mins.
That's strengthening the 15 by weakening the 23. Trying it against France sets us up to get ground down, which is a key way they may try to beat us anyway.