URC 2023/24

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

paddyor
Shane Jennings

Re: URC 2023/24

Post by paddyor »

Dave Cahill wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 11:05 pm
enby wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 10:45 pm They are unlikely to get that much out of the SA game and they are requiring the fans to travel firstly to London and then to Twickenham to see their team play "at home". I'm no expert on UK travel but I would guess that you would be doing really well to do that journey from the valleys in under 5 hours at God knows what expense. I can't imagine a well run Union treating their own fans in such a way. And all for a meagre return.

It is refreshing though to see that the WRU's financial acumen is appreciated by at least one person.
Meagre return? Twickers holds 82k. The lowest ticket price is GBP55. This game will easily take upwards of 6 million at the gate. South Africa are the home team and there are nearly a quarter of a million South Africans living in the UK. 80k plus turned up the last time SA played a home game in Twickeers, admittedly against the All Bllacks, but this will be their first test match since the World Cup final - there will be a similar number at this. Wales fans have no problems with going to Twickenham - they even have a rather well known song about it! Wales, as the away team will get a match fee to show up and their costs will be covered. They'll easily clear a million from this game. Plus what they get from the Taylor Swift gig - its going to be a nice earner for them.
It's a double header though with Babas and Fiji who presumably will also be getting some of the gate? Kind of suggest they were worried about filling Twickenham too. Putting it on the day of the URC final is just realistic on their part
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

URC final isn’t particularly relevant. If one of the SA teams make it they naught lose a couple of thousand from the gate. Might. And it’s got absolutely nothing to do with Wales or any Welsh team.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Dave Cahill wrote: February 23rd, 2024, 12:19 am We also have to be grateful that we got government grants, not loans, to keep things ticking over during Covid. We can generate revenue without having to dilute the sporting ethos of the governing body unlike, say, the WRU who have to, by necessity it seems, put revenue generation before developing the game, just to survive.
Rugby is also the only full-time, professional team sport in Ireland. The very finite number of players involved on our end [roughly 4no. squads of 45 players each, i.e. 180 people] allowed the IRFU to lobby for a tax rebate for home-based professional sportsmen.

That is simply not viable in Britain, with their enormous and staggeringly wealthy football economy. Imagine telling your constituents that you were giving lads earning £500,000 a week a tax break. You'd be lynched. You also couldn't possibly pass legislation that would allow rugby players to get a tax break and omit other pro sportsmen.

That keeps our best players playing in Ireland, which helps when it comes to a very wide array of elements that help strengthen the sport in the country, not least making the provinces a reliable spectator draw.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Dave Cahill wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 9:37 pm So the disarray is a big bag of cash from hosting the biggest star in the world right now, and a big bag of cash from playing the World Champions in their first game in Europe since the world cup final? i don't know how they can sleep at night.

"It stinks!"
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

hugonaut wrote: February 24th, 2024, 7:06 am
Dave Cahill wrote: February 23rd, 2024, 12:19 am We also have to be grateful that we got government grants, not loans, to keep things ticking over during Covid. We can generate revenue without having to dilute the sporting ethos of the governing body unlike, say, the WRU who have to, by necessity it seems, put revenue generation before developing the game, just to survive.
Rugby is also the only full-time, professional team sport in Ireland. The very finite number of players involved on our end [roughly 4no. squads of 45 players each, i.e. 180 people] allowed the IRFU to lobby for a tax rebate for home-based professional sportsmen.

That is simply not viable in Britain, with their enormous and staggeringly wealthy football economy. Imagine telling your constituents that you were giving lads earning £500,000 a week a tax break. You'd be lynched. You also couldn't possibly pass legislation that would allow rugby players to get a tax break and omit other pro sportsmen.

That keeps our best players playing in Ireland, which helps when it comes to a very wide array of elements that help strengthen the sport in the country, not least making the provinces a reliable spectator draw.
The league of Ireland has full time sides such as Shamrock rovers, does it not?
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Given the Benetton contingent within the Italian Squad and the current performances of Stormers and Bulls, the URC will not be easily won this year and may even become the best League in the world by season end.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Keith wrote: February 25th, 2024, 7:08 am
hugonaut wrote: February 24th, 2024, 7:06 am

The league of Ireland has full time sides such as Shamrock rovers, does it not?
I don't know, to be honest. This article was what I was basing my argument on: https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer ... 25616.html
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2022/11 ... ge-agreed/

Here is another article about the same thing. It states that the majority of the LOI Premiership sides are full time with one part time side in the lesser division.

That said a lot (but not all) of the LOI sides pay low enough wages and 10ish squads of 25 people or so, the vast majority of which pay 2-3K in PAYE isn't going to mean anything when it comes to the tax rebate.

I know more about the economy of part time LOI sides than the full time ones (as I dealt with one professionally) but the salaries are low even in the full time ones.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

The appointments for the United Rugby Championship fixtures in Round 11 have been confirmed and are available below.

FRIDAY, MARCH 1

Edinburgh Rugby v Ospreys
Hive Stadium, Edinburgh – KO 19.35 IRE & UK / 20.35 ITA / 21.35 SA
Referee: Chris Busby (IRFU, 37th league game)
AR 1: Rob McDowell (SRU) AR 2: Calum Worsley (SRU)
TMO: Calum Worsley (IRFU)

Munster v Zebre Parma
Virgin Media Park, Cork – KO 19.35 IRE & UK / 20.35 ITA / 21.35 SA
Referee: Adam Jones (WRU, 33rd league game)
AR 1: Andrew Brace (IRFU) AR 2: Sam Holt (IRFU)
TMO: Sean Brickell (WRU)

SATURDAY, MARCH 2

Emirates Lions v Hollywoodbets Sharks
Emirates Airline Park, Johannesburg – KO 13.00 IRE & UK / 14.00 ITA / 15.00 SA
Referee: Aimee Barrett-Theron (SARU, 6th league game)
AR 1: Cwengile Jadezweni (SARU) AR 2: Christopher Allison (SARU)
TMO: Ben Crous (SARU)

Benetton v Glasgow Warriors
Stadio Monigo, Treviso – KO 15.00 IRE & UK / 16.00 ITA / 17.00 SA
Referee: Eoghan Cross (IRFU, 13th league game)
AR 1: Filippo Russo (FIR) AR 2: Alex Frasson (FIR)
TMO: Olly Hodges (IRFU)

Vodacom Bulls v DHL Stormers
Loftus Versfeld Stadium, Pretoria – KO 15.05 IRE & UK / 16.05 ITA / 17.05 SA
Referee: Marius van der Westhuizen (SARU, 20th league game)
AR 1: Griffin Colby (SARU) AR 2: Sean Muller (SARU)
TMO: Marius Jonker (SARU)

Connacht v Scarlets
Dexcom Stadium, Galway – KO 17.05 IRE & UK / 18.05 ITA / 19.05 SA
Referee: Federico Vedovelli (FIR, 6th league game)
AR 1: Andrew Cole (IRFU) AR 2: Paul Haycock (IRFU)
TMO: Stefano Roscini (FIR)

Cardiff Rugby v Leinster
Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff – KO 19.35 IRE & UK / 20.35 ITA / 21.35 SA
Referee: Mike Adamson (SRU, 77th league game)
AR 1: Ben Whitehouse (WRU) AR 2: Ben Breakspear (WRU)
TMO: Dave Sutherland (SRU)

Ulster v Dragons RFC
Kingspan Stadium, Ulster – KO 19.35 IRE & UK / 20.35 ITA / 21.35 SA
Referee: Gianluca Gnecchi (FIR, 29th league game)
AR 1: Frank Murphy (IRFU) AR 2: Andrew Fogarty (IRFU)
TMO: Matteo Liperini (FIR)
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Just saw on the twittersphere, over 45,000 tickets sold for Bulls Stormers on Saturday - the North/South Derby. It is live on TG4 free to air (3:05pm Irish Time KO).
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

That's impressive. Capacity of Loftus Versfeld is 51,000. 100-130 Rand (€4.50-€5.50) each for premium seats near the 22.

Any Leinster supporters travelled down for our URC Games before know the all-in price for a trip? Wouldn't mind doing it, just for the experience. A few buddies went on previous SA tours (B&I Lions & Ireland) and said it's well worth a visit.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote: February 29th, 2024, 3:21 pm That's impressive. Capacity of Loftus Versfeld is 51,000. 100-130 Rand (€4.50-€5.50) each for premium seats near the 22.

Any Leinster supporters travelled down for our URC Games before know the all-in price for a trip? Wouldn't mind doing it, just for the experience. A few buddies went on previous SA tours (B&I Lions & Ireland) and said it's well worth a visit.
We went on "the good trip" in April 2022. Durban and capetown. We got dub-lon-cpt-dbn-cpt-lon-dub for €530 return. Did 4 days in durban and a week in capetown.

Capetown is amazing. Been there a few times. Durban and capetown are not an option together now. Unless they change it again. I don't think joburg or Pretoria are up to much but you could probably fit in a safari or something while there.

You may get it cheaper from mainland Europe although that was a good deal we got.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

johng wrote: February 29th, 2024, 5:13 pm
MylesNaGapoleen wrote: February 29th, 2024, 3:21 pm That's impressive. Capacity of Loftus Versfeld is 51,000. 100-130 Rand (€4.50-€5.50) each for premium seats near the 22.

We went on "the good trip" in April 2022. Durban and capetown. We got dub-lon-cpt-dbn-cpt-lon-dub for €530 return. Did 4 days in durban and a week in capetown.

Capetown is amazing. Been there a few times. Durban and capetown are not an option together now. Unless they change it again. I don't think joburg or Pretoria are up to much but you could probably fit in a safari or something while there.

You may get it cheaper from mainland Europe although that was a good deal we got.

fair play John. thanks for the info.

I'm based on Switzerland so have the choice of decent airport hubs like Zurich, Frankfurt or Paris to set off from but I don't think I will beat the €530 return price for the flights. hotels look very reasonable there (4 star is about €50 a night in durban) compared to Dublin.

we have games in Joberg and Cape town on Sat 20 April 2024 & Sat 27 April. Autumn there I guess. Tempting.

Did you need yellow fever. hep b & other travel shots to visit?
kff15
Bookworm

Post by kff15 »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote: February 29th, 2024, 5:46 pm

I'm based on Switzerland so have the choice of decent airport hubs like Zurich, Frankfurt or Paris to set off from but I don't think I will beat the €530 return price for the flights. hotels look very reasonable there (4 star is about €50 a night in durban) compared to Dublin.

we have games in Joberg and Cape town on Sat 20 April 2024 & Sat 27 April. Autumn there I guess. Tempting.

You wont need Yellow fever shot (unless travelling from an infected country which you probably aren't). Hep A is a good one anyway to be vaccinated against - two shots of Havrix (second after 6 months) gives 25 years cover. Tetanus & Polio boosters also recommended. Neither Capteown nor Joburg have Malaria risk so no need for Malarone
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I got no shots. However. We had lifted covid restrictions by then but they hadn't.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote:

JWT are doing an official supporters trip to SA for ) 10 days .... https://jwttravel.ie/tours/leinster-sou ... tour-2024/

The price isn't exactly JohnG levels to say the least but it includes tours and a safari visit.

I'd say if you got on to them they might do something where you made your own way there and joined the trip

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

johng wrote: February 29th, 2024, 5:13 pmCapetown is amazing. Been there a few times. Durban and capetown are not an option together now. Unless they change it again. I don't think joburg or Pretoria are up to much but you could probably fit in a safari or something while there.
Pretoria is nice in parts. Spent a couple of months there in 2018. There are definitely wildlife parks easily done the same day from there. Kruger Park is probably too far for a short holiday and you only see the best animals dawn or dusk which is limited to the overnight tourists paying a huge premium.

Joburg on the other hand was dangerous AF 6 years ago let alone now . . . .
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

If Wales fold a team what do people think of another SA Team joining the URC? The Cheetah's would be a good addition.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

sunshiner1 wrote: March 2nd, 2024, 2:53 am If Wales fold a team what do people think of another SA Team joining the URC? The Cheetah's would be a good addition.
I'd much rather it was offered to a Spanish / Portuguese / Georgian / Romanian, National - Club team as an encouragement for the game in Europe.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Ruckedtobits wrote: March 2nd, 2024, 8:05 am
sunshiner1 wrote: March 2nd, 2024, 2:53 am If Wales fold a team what do people think of another SA Team joining the URC? The Cheetah's would be a good addition.
I'd much rather it was offered to a Spanish / Portuguese / Georgian / Romanian, National - Club team as an encouragement for the game in Europe.
+1