Ulster 2023/24

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

enby
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Ulster 2023/24

Post by enby »

Always nice to see a Welsh side robbed blind. Very undeserved win for Ulster thanks to a marginal TMO call.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Big big win for Ulster. Dreadful first half, the second half improved a bit - not massively - but a bit. The younger lads were Ulster's best , McCann and Sheridan were excellent and Izuchukwu may have won the game for Ulster with a brilliant try saving tackle.

Stockdale needs to get out of Ulster, he needs a change of scenary. 5 years ago he was the best winger in world rugby, now he's pretty much the worst winger in Irish professional rugby
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

enby wrote: April 19th, 2024, 9:22 pm Always nice to see a Welsh side robbed blind. Very undeserved win for Ulster thanks to a marginal TMO call.
Angle from behind was pretty clear
I have Bumbleflex
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

cormac wrote: April 19th, 2024, 9:20 pm No way that was clear and obvious. Shocking call
Amazing how clear and obvious something is when you have to replay it over 10 times. And it's still wasn't clear to me that he played it first or that he was deliberately knocking down a pass.

But then I thought Stockdale made a fair attempt to catch the ball.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

If you were like me and thought cardiff were hard done by tonight, check out this ultra slowed down clip which makes it clear and shows the knock on before it comes off the shoulder of the ulster player.. https://twitter.com/RugbyKino/status/17 ... 3325916520

credit were it's due: well done TMO, ref called it correctly.

that said. is it legal to kick the ball out of a players hands? thought cardiff deserved a penalty try for the try stopping tackle with feet earlier.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Fair play. They got right.
Crucial win for the wildlings.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote: April 19th, 2024, 10:05 pm If you were like me and thought cardiff were hard done by tonight, check out this ultra slowed down clip which makes it clear and shows the knock on before it comes off the shoulder of the ulster player.. https://twitter.com/RugbyKino/status/17 ... 3325916520

that said. is it legal to kick the ball out of a players hands? thought cardiff deserved a penalty try for the try stopping tackle with feet earlier.
I’m pretty certain you can’t tackle with your feet
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Oldschoolsocks wrote: April 19th, 2024, 10:26 pm
MylesNaGapoleen wrote: April 19th, 2024, 10:05 pm If you were like me and thought cardiff were hard done by tonight, check out this ultra slowed down clip which makes it clear and shows the knock on before it comes off the shoulder of the ulster player.. https://twitter.com/RugbyKino/status/17 ... 3325916520

I’m pretty certain you can’t tackle with your feet
it was an odd tackle. both tumbling to the ground, like a normal tackle, but the cardiff player reaching out to touch down for a try has the ball kicked out of his hands. an extraordinary moment. the knock on was called correctly but I think cardiff might feel more hard done by with the try scoring moment.
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

Welsh rugby supporters in absolute meltdown on twitter over Adamson.
Think he just about got the Carre knock on right but poor that he refused to look at Cooney's knock on just before the Ulster try.
Izuchukwu clearly kicked the ball out of the Cardiff player's hands - should have been a penalty try and a yellow card.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Barry wrote: April 19th, 2024, 11:01 pm Think he just about got the Carre knock on right but poor that he refused to look at Cooney's knock on just before the Ulster try.
He couldn't. You can't go back more than two phases unless it's foul play. A knock-on isn't foul play so it wasn't reviewable.
I have Bumbleflex
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

In my opinion, there is no evidence of a "kick" by Izzy. He tackled the player from diagonal, marginally from behind, and his foot may have dislodged the ball but more likely it was the effect of his collision with Cardiff player. Fantastic cover tackle in the circumstances, particularly for a 2nd Row who had just joined the game.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Dave Cahill wrote: April 19th, 2024, 11:26 pm
Barry wrote: April 19th, 2024, 11:01 pm Think he just about got the Carre knock on right but poor that he refused to look at Cooney's knock on just before the Ulster try.
He couldn't. You can't go back more than two phases unless it's foul play. A knock-on isn't foul play so it wasn't reviewable.
A 'purpose' knock-on is Foul Play.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Ruckedtobits wrote: April 20th, 2024, 9:24 am
Dave Cahill wrote: April 19th, 2024, 11:26 pm
A 'purpose' knock-on is Foul Play.
Yep, but the Cooney one would have been an ordinary butter-fingers knock-on, so it wasn't reviewable as it was outside the phase count, whereas the Carre one was a deliberate knock-on, which is foul play
I have Bumbleflex
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

There is some delicious irony in Welsh people complaining about refereeing decisions given the decade of favourable calls they've got since 2011.
Anyone But New Zealand
FtD
Mullet

Post by FtD »

Absolutely disastrous injury update for Ulster - likely season ending injuries to James Hume and Steven Kitshoff (so he's done with Ulster), and other injuries for Nathan Doak, Jake Flannery and Tom O'Toole.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Ulster land the services of double Super Rugby winning coach to replace Dan McFarland – report

https://www.planetrugby.com/news/ulster ... and-report
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by riocard911

Ulster land the services of double Super Rugby winning coach to replace Dan McFarland – report

There's a guy over on boards swearing it's not happening. We will have to see.

Even with all the injuries pretty strong team from Ulster. Curious to see how French does off the bench.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

sunshiner1 wrote: April 25th, 2024, 1:42 pm
by riocard911

There's a guy over on boards swearing it's not happening. We will have to see.

Even with all the injuries pretty strong team from Ulster. Curious to see how French does off the bench.
Local media now dowplaying it, Ludeke apparently recently signed a 3 year contract extension. If you believe the local media report, Murphy and Jared Payne front runners. Payne currently at Scarlets, but may be out of contract in the Summer.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

decent start by Benetton. Look a little leaky defensively, though.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Quality (and illegal) clear-out at the side of the ruck by Will Addison to create the gap for John Cooney for Ulster’s first try.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish