Munster 2023/2024 - Return of the Jedi????

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

cormac
Rob Kearney

Re: Munster 2023/2024 - Return of the Jedi????

Post by cormac »

A Scottish crowd booing. Well I never….
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
5starfan
Bookworm

Post by 5starfan »

R.G got away with that one
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

6-2 bench split hurting Munster. Haley and Nankivell both off injured.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Vd Merwe got two more passes from his team-mates in the second half. Both within about 30 seconds of each other, same as the first half. He got as many passes from Munster players as from Edinburgh players in the second 40.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Hard-fought win for Munster. Suspect we’ll need nine points from our last two games to finish ahead of them.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

JohnB wrote: May 17th, 2024, 8:18 pm The Ref is giving Edinburgh carte blanche to either come in from the side at Munster rucks or to fall with impunity on the Munster side of those rucks to impede getting the ball away. It’s bizarre the latitude he’s giving them.

The Ref repaid in spades any perceived advantage he gave Edinburgh in that game. Some seriously blatant mistakes and bias against Edinburgh throughout the 2nd half. Munster better able to score tries, but didn't deserve to win this one, which should have been a draw.
propertymad
Enlightened

Post by propertymad »

Jaysis but Ben Healy is not a very good 10 .... Crowley schooled him there

Not sure how the ref/tmo gave edinburghs try .... but Munsters should have been chalked off too so Honours even there

Munster timing their run well again this year ..... is Beirne ever going to get a rest ?
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
JohnB wrote: May 17th, 2024, 8:18 pm The Ref is giving Edinburgh carte blanche to either come in from the side at Munster rucks or to fall with impunity on the Munster side of those rucks to impede getting the ball away. It’s bizarre the latitude he’s giving them.

The Ref repaid in spades any perceived advantage he gave Edinburgh in that game. Some seriously blatant mistakes and bias against Edinburgh throughout the 2nd half. Munster better able to score tries, but didn't deserve to win this one, which should have been a draw.
Didn't see the first half but thought that the ref rode Edinburgh in the 2nd half

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

JohnB
Graduate

Post by JohnB »

Ruckedtobits wrote: May 17th, 2024, 9:43 pm

Yes indeed, he went out of his way to even things up!
propertymad
Enlightened

Post by propertymad »

Barry wrote: May 17th, 2024, 9:52 pm
Ruckedtobits wrote:

Didn't see the first half but thought that the ref rode Edinburgh in the 2nd half

They were their own worst enemies in fairness .... their backrow was dogshit at the ruck and their 10-12-13 were appalling in defence and attack
PeteIRL
Knowledgeable

Post by PeteIRL »

Glad I'm a neutral for this one so I can say with no bias that that ref is an embarrassment to the sport. Shocking display.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

I thought that ref, who I have slated in the past, was actually pretty good tonight. Seemed to get the big decisions correct and he certainly had a closer view of that Edinburgh maul that collapsed pretty dramatically.

Munster were the better team and despite the injuries they scraped out a win.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Logorrhea wrote: May 17th, 2024, 11:28 pm I thought that ref, who I have slated in the past, was actually pretty good tonight. Seemed to get the big decisions correct and he certainly had a closer view of that Edinburgh maul that collapsed pretty dramatically.

He made a massive mistake on the Snyman tackle. Snyman intentionally tackles the lad after he has kicked the ball, then the big fellah crawls over him and rubs it in. As a team-mate, you go in to clear him off your outhalf ten times out of ten. There's no f*cking way you should let some 20 stone monster rough up your outhalf way after the ball is gone, especially if you're Willie Mata.

To say that Snyman couldn't pull out of the tackle was a mistake. To say that Mata was the one who inflamed the situation was a mistake – it was Snyman who inflamed the situation. To penalise Edinburgh was a mistake. There's no fights in rugby anymore. Penalising guys who defend their team-mates [the 'third man in'] was about preventing all-out punch-ups, and they just don't happen anymore. That idea goes back to a different era, it should be canned. Judge the situation on its merits.

The ref said himself that he wasn't going to penalise Snyman for the late tackle or roughing up Healy on the ground. Grand. Does that mean you can do it in every game? Can Big Joe just smash Ntamack every time after he has kicked the ball, hold him down and stick his forearm on his nose for as long as the game goes on and milk penalties out of it when somebody does something about it? It was a terrible call.

With that said, everyone makes mistakes. I like all the Italian refs, I think they have a great attitude to the game. That goes a long way.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Yeah forgot about that one. Pretty good. Not perfect, but pretty good.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

hugonaut wrote: May 18th, 2024, 1:45 am
Logorrhea wrote: May 17th, 2024, 11:28 pm I thought that ref, who I have slated in the past, was actually pretty good tonight. Seemed to get the big decisions correct and he certainly had a closer view of that Edinburgh maul that collapsed pretty dramatically.

He made a massive mistake on the Snyman tackle. Snyman intentionally tackles the lad after he has kicked the ball, then the big fellah crawls over him and rubs it in. As a team-mate, you go in to clear him off your outhalf ten times out of ten. There's no f*cking way you should let some 20 stone monster rough up your outhalf way after the ball is gone, especially if you're Willie Mata.

To say that Snyman couldn't pull out of the tackle was a mistake. To say that Mata was the one who inflamed the situation was a mistake – it was Snyman who inflamed the situation. To penalise Edinburgh was a mistake. There's no fights in rugby anymore. Penalising guys who defend their team-mates [the 'third man in'] was about preventing all-out punch-ups, and they just don't happen anymore. That idea goes back to a different era, it should be canned. Judge the situation on its merits.

The ref said himself that he wasn't going to penalise Snyman for the late tackle or roughing up Healy on the ground. Grand. Does that mean you can do it in every game? Can Big Joe just smash Ntamack every time after he has kicked the ball, hold him down and stick his forearm on his nose for as long as the game goes on and milk penalties out of it when somebody does something about it? It was a terrible call.

With that said, everyone makes mistakes. I like all the Italian refs, I think they have a great attitude to the game. That goes a long way.
I see it the same as you, but I know others don't. Snyman was pretty close so viewed purely from that it looked close enough to allow. But he initiated the main part of the hit after the ball was gone.

Clearly a late hit with follow through on the ground.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Look closely and see verbals by Snyman right into Healy's earhole. A big, big man hitting a smaller, but big, former team-mate with a legitimate late tackle deserves a penalty, nothing more. Snyman probable wouldn't have done it on the half-way line, he's too clever. But he gets away with handing out an old-fashioned rugby lesson, illegally, and no sanction. Wrong. As for Mata, he did exactly the right thing for his team and his team-mate and if the S African hadn't been giving Healy a rubbing Mata wouldn't have been there in time to pull him off.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

The ref rode Munster at the breakdown in the first half, but evened it up with a series of decisions to ride Edinburgh in the second period.

How that wasn’t a penalty and a yellow card to Synman for the late tackle and pinning of Healy, I just can’t understand! Terrible decision.

The regrettable lesson from that travesty of a call to Mata and all players defending smaller team mates getting mugged is- if going in, do it harder. If the ref won’t protect your players, you need to do so, by hurting the perpetrator- because you’re going to be punished anyway. Rubbish call.

But I too like this ref- generally. Just an uneven performance with some particularly bad calls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

Zebo has announced that he is retiring at the end of the season.

Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Barry wrote: May 21st, 2024, 12:24 pm Zebo has announced that he is retiring at the end of the season.

Bit of a frustrating player. Bags of talent and ability but only 35 caps for Ireland whereas a much limited player like Andrew Trimble got twice that with hard work and application. I suppose he will say he played for Ireland, won silverware, played in France, played for the Lions and enjoyed his career.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Flash Gordon wrote: May 21st, 2024, 1:13 pm
Barry wrote: May 21st, 2024, 12:24 pm Zebo has announced that he is retiring at the end of the season.

Bit of a frustrating player. Bags of talent and ability but only 35 caps for Ireland whereas a much limited player like Andrew Trimble got twice that with hard work and application. I suppose he will say he played for Ireland, won silverware, played in France, played for the Lions and enjoyed his career.
I am sorry to say I'm rather intrigued as to how much he will balloon sans rugby