Munster Rugby 2021/2022 - Search for the Holy Grail

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Re: Munster Rugby 2021/2022 - Search for the Holy Grail

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

blockhead wrote: December 15th, 2021, 1:42 pm "The PGC is intended to be the key influence in all professional rugby matters in Munster, but it’s understood that van Graan has felt some outside pressure around player signings and squad planning more recently."

He wanted a prop but he got Zebo.
easily fixed with a change of number on the jersey.

You're just setting these up now :D
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: December 15th, 2021, 10:57 am
dropkick wrote: December 14th, 2021, 11:09 pm
ROG has been head coach for 12 games and lost half of them. He has a reputation because he talks a good game but so does Bernard Jackman.
100% agree. Nothing against ROG who is clearly highly rated and had a good coaching career, but at the same time it’s been hugely overrated. So many pundits don’t offer any insight so when one comes along who talks about patterns or their philosophies then people assume he’s a genius. The fuss about KBA when he first mentioned it over here grinds my gears, it’s hardly revolutionary to want to keep the ball alive! And it would mean a lot more if he hadn’t done it at the Crusaders but a lesser team that used to have a different philosophy. A promising coach for sure, but I think the hype is misplaced. And that’s not just Leinster bias btw, for example I think you could say the same about Lancaster considering how we’ve come up short in Europe in the last couple of years and seemingly not found solutions to playing bigger teams.
KBA?
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

paddyor wrote: December 15th, 2021, 2:26 pm KBA?
Keep ball alive.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Avenger wrote: December 15th, 2021, 2:26 pm
Keep ball alive.
Kick Ball Always. Have you seen la Rochelle play?
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

:clap:
fourthirtythree wrote: December 15th, 2021, 1:17 pm He left because of the influence of private investors? He's gonna love the whatever premierthingy.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

I have an awful feeling that the Christmas Derby will be held behind closed doors.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

fourthirtythree wrote: December 15th, 2021, 3:15 pm
Avenger wrote: December 15th, 2021, 2:26 pm
Keep ball alive.
Kick Ball Always. Have you seen la Rochelle play?

I had a look at his signings and it looks like he values size. 2 x 135kgs props, 2 x 125kgs props, a 110kg center (Danty), a 105kg winger. Nothing wrong with that but interesting to note.

It probably takes 2 years to build your own team. It will be interesting following LR.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

blockhead wrote: December 16th, 2021, 9:35 am I have an awful feeling that the Christmas Derby will be held behind closed doors.
Which one? I got tickets for the whole clan for Ravers and wouldn't be best pleased, if we can't go.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

riocard911 wrote: December 16th, 2021, 10:20 am
blockhead wrote: December 16th, 2021, 9:35 am I have an awful feeling that the Christmas Derby will be held behind closed doors.
Which one? I got tickets for the whole clan for Ravers and wouldn't be best pleased, if we can't go.
I'd hardly be talkin about the Ulster/Leinster derby on the Munster tread!
Now would I?
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

blockhead wrote: December 16th, 2021, 10:26 am
riocard911 wrote: December 16th, 2021, 10:20 am
I'd hardly be talkin about the Ulster/Leinster derby on the Munster tread!
Now would I?
TOUCHÉ!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

https://www.the42.ie/van-graan-bath-mun ... =shortlink

Good article by Murray Kinsella on the situation in Munster. Good to see Murray working on his journalistic chops and getting more investigative work under his belt. A very complete rugby writer, analyst and reporter.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Brad Shields has won his appeal against his red card and subsequent ban on the grounds of on-field mitigation due to a rapid drop in height
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Dave Cahill wrote: December 17th, 2021, 11:48 am Brad Shields has won his appeal against his red card and subsequent ban on the grounds of on-field mitigation due to a rapid drop in height
Good, as I said in another thread it was a ridiculously harsh ban. Hard to believe the citing panel could make the decision in the first place but even harder to believe it could be overturned completely in the space of a few days, the original report/decision must have been incredibly poor.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Should the game go ahead, the below is the team that will play.

Great to see Campbell retain his position.
He did a lot of good things last week, and looks like a real dynamic player with ball in hand.

The bench is very exciting, with lots of potential.

Munster: Patrick Campbell; Andrew Conway, Chris Farrell, Damian de Allende, Keith Earls; Ben Healy, Conor Murray; Dave Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell, John Ryan; Jean Kleyn, Tadhg Beirne; Peter O’Mahony (C), John Hodnett, Jack O’Donoghue.

Replacements: Diarmuid Barron, Josh Wycherley, Keynan Knox, Jason Jenkins, Jack O’Sullivan, Craig Casey, Jack Crowley, Alex Kendellen.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

How will they decide the 5,000?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Castres feeling sorry for themselves that they couldn’t find a loophole yet.

https://www.the42.ie/castres-munster-co ... 0-Dec2021/

Machine translation of the Castre page
Show Spoiler:
Matches between French and British teams are cancelled or postponed but the CO is the only team with Lyon to play an outdoor European Cup match and travel to Ireland. Why?

This morning, French clubs were unanimous in asking for the postponement of all games even if it meant that the round of 16 would then take place on a direct match and no longer a round trip. The ECPR board then met again and decided otherwise under the influence of the English and Celtics, postponing the matches between French and British and maintaining the others, finally those that were not already cancelled for reasons of covid!

Why this difference in treatment?

In Great Britain, of which Ireland is not a part, a test of less than 24 hours is now necessary to come to France. And in case of positivity, quarantine must be carried out on site. In other words, there was a risk that members of a French team would be blocked, including for the Christmas holidays, abroad, and French clubs did not want to take this risk, which existed in the opposite direction. For Ireland, we were tested before leaving but then we are not subject to the same regulations.

Do you understand the decision of European sports bodies?

From a legal point of view, it can be argued because the risks of detention of people were not the same in different countries. But it does not make sense from a sporting and health point of view. For the competition, its organisation, its media coverage, what does this day mean, of which several games have already been won on the green carpet, several are postponed? And these, if they are played, it can only be by changing the format of the competition while others take place, ours and those of the British among themselves. Postponing the whole day would have been more logical, understandable and clear. I would add that from a health point of view, the situation in Ireland today does not really differ from that of Great Britain. So the difference in treatment is based on political and administrative and not health considerations and this is difficult to understand.

We didn't leave you a choice?

No. And beyond the sports sanctions related to a package, the financial risk was heavy. Our match will take place in front of more than 20,000 spectators and the European Cup is a religion at the Munster.

Were you able to talk to the EPCR?

Yes, with his French director level who is also very competent and who spent a lot of time explaining to us that within the Munster, the health situation was perfectly clean and that it was the most controlled team since his return from South Africa where it had several positives. But the French league is not in the majority in the EPCR and we have come to this absurd situation.

Not easy on the sporting level to move in this context?

Not all the more so since while waiting for the final information, we had to make the players wait and postpone the start at the very end of the afternoon. Well now, it's up to them to enjoy the incredible atmosphere of Thomond Park. A number of players have been preserved in Castres in view of the sequence in the Top 14 but all those who represent us are there to give a good reply to the Munster or even position themselves for the future. A mach in Thomond Park is always a great adventure for a rugby player.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

If Munster don't put Castres to the sword I'm going to be seriously disappointed.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Oldschool wrote: December 18th, 2021, 9:47 am If Munster don't put Castres to the sword I'm going to be seriously disappointed.
Mise freisin!!!
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Oldschool wrote: December 18th, 2021, 9:47 am If Munster don't put Castres to the sword I'm going to be seriously disappointed.
Of course they will, Castres already admitted they don't want to be there. It's over before a ball is kicked.
Dont Panic!
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Really looking forward to this game.
It’s the first HC game I’ve been at in too long.

Great to see that there are 5 players in line to make their HC debut, especially after the number that did so last week.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.