Munster Rugby 2021/2022 - Search for the Holy Grail

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Dexter
Shane Horgan

Re: Munster Rugby 2021/2022 - Search for the Holy Grail

Post by Dexter »

munster#1 wrote: January 20th, 2022, 8:43 pm Also hearing that Munster are in the market for both an experienced Hooker and a Tighthead.

If they can sign 2 stong scrummaging mobile options in those positions, along with Fekitoa, Munster will have a very solid squad.
FFS
Dont Panic!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

dropkick wrote: January 20th, 2022, 8:35 pm
munster#1 wrote: January 20th, 2022, 8:15 pm Prendergast essentially saying that he won’t be taking the role.
Hopefully he is just deflecting the attention so as cause any distractions.

https://amp.rte.ie/amp/1274926/?fbclid= ... pNVVdU1SgM

Just after Lenihan saying he was nailed on. I'm sure there's no smoke without fire but who knows. Maybe Prendergast was thinking about it and has come to a decision. He said no multiple times but it was a sheepish sounding no. If you know what I mean. That might be me wishful thinking.
I didn't listen to the podcast but he didn't actually say he rejected Munster in the article quotes.

Could also be that Munster haven't asked him and are looking elsewhere.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Dexter wrote: January 20th, 2022, 10:21 pm
munster#1 wrote: January 20th, 2022, 8:43 pm Also hearing that Munster are in the market for both an experienced Hooker and a Tighthead.

If they can sign 2 stong scrummaging mobile options in those positions, along with Fekitoa, Munster will have a very solid squad.
FFS
It was a wind up
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Not a wind up.

I’m hearing that it’s 3 South Africans out with Cloete, DDA and Jenkins exiting along with Ryan, freeing up squad spaces and money.

https://www.the42.ie/munster-new-signin ... 3-Jan2022/
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Seems like only today you were angrily insisting that Jenkins was a good player that you were sad to lose. Now he's been cut to free up cash elsewhere.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

ronk wrote: January 20th, 2022, 11:36 pm Seems like only today you were angrily insisting that Jenkins was a good player that you were sad to lose. Now he's been cut to free up cash elsewhere.
Why can't both of those things can be true?
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

wixfjord wrote: January 21st, 2022, 8:49 am
ronk wrote: January 20th, 2022, 11:36 pm Seems like only today you were angrily insisting that Jenkins was a good player that you were sad to lose. Now he's been cut to free up cash elsewhere.
fairly strange post alright.

Whilst I would love to believe that I have some impact on the inner runnings of Munster, I can assure you that my opinion of how good or bad a player is has no impact on Munster’s decisions on who stays and who goes.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Well you can aspirationally want Munster to keep Jenkins, you can want to cut him to lower the wage bill, you can even be ambivalent.

If you say you're one when it suits you and instantly change the answer in another context then it's internally inconsistent and undermines credibility. But you'd never rush to point out any perceived inconsistencies in posts.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

FFS
To be fair, Munster have always needed top class Hooker and Tighthead. Their front row has been weak for a long time. While I thought Know would have been given a shot by now, they need world class players in these areas, much more than they needed DDA. The proper players could bring their pack up the level required to really compete.

I wouldn't mind a big name signing for ourselves, just to get excited about, but Munster really need help in these positions if you ask me.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Logorrhea wrote: January 21st, 2022, 10:27 am

FFS
To be fair, Munster have always needed top class Hooker and Tighthead. Their front row has been weak for a long time. While I thought Know would have been given a shot by now, they need world class players in these areas, much more than they needed DDA. The proper players could bring their pack up the level required to really compete.

I wouldn't mind a big name signing for ourselves, just to get excited about, but Munster really need help in these positions if you ask me.
Unfortunately you are right.
Whilst I am a big fan of Scannell, Ryan and Archer and they do the basics to a high level.
The Munster scrum has been solid for a number of years now and on occasion gets the upper hand.
As has the lineout with Scannell throwing and Ryan or Archer lifting.

However, to get to the next level, Munster need more dynamic options in these positions if they are to improve their standard open play.

I just hope that they get the right players for these positions.
I would love to see an experienced international level TH to come in and guide Knox and Salanoa over a 2 - 3 year period.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Logorrhea wrote: January 21st, 2022, 10:27 am

FFS

Yeah Kilcoyne, Scannell, Archer/Ryan is nowhere near good enough.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

ronk wrote: January 21st, 2022, 10:00 am
Well you can aspirationally want Munster to keep Jenkins, you can want to cut him to lower the wage bill, you can even be ambivalent.

If you say you're one when it suits you and instantly change the answer in another context then it's internally inconsistent and undermines credibility. But you'd never rush to point out any perceived inconsistencies in posts.
What the feck are you on about? :lol:

M#1 said Jenkins is a good player and disappointed that he's going, but money is needed to address other positions.

There's nothing wrong with that statement and it's not remotely inconsistent. You can both want a player to stay and also understand how the money might be spent on other problem areas like.

Jeez Ronk you've gone off the rails lately!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

munster#1 wrote: January 21st, 2022, 10:52 am
I would love to see an experienced international level TH to come in and guide Knox and Salanoa over a 2 - 3 year period.
I'd prefer not to pretend that that's what would happen.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

I'm not going to argue the semantics of the word want, which you're well capable of understanding without any help.

I want Leinster to have good players like Jenkins who will strengthen the team. I want Leinster to have a better chance of winning now and of winning later. I want Leinster not to take the risks and costs that might be incurred with making that move. I want Leinster to concentrate on some very high potential young players who are now likely to get less gametime. I want all those things at once.

Ultimately there's a choice that I prefer and recommend. If I'm inconsistent about that choice I know that you and M#1 will relish the opportunity to point that out, and fair enough.

Please try to be civil though. You used to be better than that.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

ronk wrote: January 21st, 2022, 11:30 am I'm not going to argue the semantics of the word want, which you're well capable of understanding without any help.

I want Leinster to have good players like Jenkins who will strengthen the team. I want Leinster to have a better chance of winning now and of winning later. I want Leinster not to take the risks and costs that might be incurred with making that move. I want Leinster to concentrate on some very high potential young players who are now likely to get less gametime. I want all those things at once.

Ultimately there's a choice that I prefer and recommend. If I'm inconsistent about that choice I know that you and M#1 will relish the opportunity to point that out, and fair enough.

I honestly don't know what you're arguing.
It is not 'inconsistent' to want a player to stay but also understand that him leaving might be a good thing for the wider squad.

You just tried to take a dig at M#1 for no real reason there.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Munster: Mike Haley; Andrew Conway, Chris Farrell, Rory Scannell, Keith Earls; Ben Healy, Conor Murray; Dave Kilcoyne, Diarmuid Barron, Stephen Archer; Jean Kleyn, Tadhg Beirne; Peter O’Mahony (C), Jack O’Donoghue, Gavin Coombes.

Replacements: Scott Buckley, Jeremy Loughman, John Ryan, Fineen Wycherley, John Hodnett, Craig Casey, Jack Crowley, Simon Zebo.
I have Bumbleflex
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by munster#1

I just hope that they get the right players for these positions.
Apparently Archer is just on a 1 year contract and with Ryan allegedly off to England signing someone at TH makes sense. That said if I was Nucifora I would be making it clear that Knox/Salonoa need to be playing consistently over the next season or so to replace Archer as second choice when he goes.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Looking at the Munster squad, it is great to see so many young home grown players in a HC squad.

Granted is is injury influenced, but it’s also great to see a fully IQ 23 for a second week running with 17 of them being products of the Munster academy.

I’m looking forward to seeing how Barron goes in this game, and getting to see Buckley potentially making his second HC appearances is also exciting.

I personally would have loved to see Crowley start this game, but I’m also looking forward to seeing how Healy responds to the pressure of having Crowley breathing down his neck.

I am finding this a hard one to call, but I really hope that Munster can win.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

wixfjord wrote: January 21st, 2022, 11:36 am
ronk wrote: January 21st, 2022, 11:30 am I'm not going to argue the semantics of the word want, which you're well capable of understanding without any help.

I honestly don't know what you're arguing.
It is not 'inconsistent' to want a player to stay but also understand that him leaving might be a good thing for the wider squad.

You just tried to take a dig at M#1 for no real reason there.
At least you're confident that I'm wrong even though you don't know why. Let's move on.

I think you're seeing a dig at M#1 that wasn't there either btw.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Just the 5-7 NIQs then? Or are Knox and Salanoa IQ now?
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles